Via:  tessylo  •  4 years ago  •  65 comments

By:   AFP

Trump: 'I disagree' with Fauci on COVID-19 in the US

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Politics

Trump: 'I disagree' with Fauci on COVID-19 in the US

afp_Light.png July 7, 2020, 8:03 PM EDT

a55f82557be4bee862b25d6556e1a96265175bb2.jpg

Anthony Fauci (R) is the country's top immunologist and a key member of the White House Coronavirus Task Force

Washington (AFP) - President Donald Trump on Tuesday said he disagrees with the assessment of the country's top immunologist, Anthony Fauci, on the dire situation the United States faces as cases of the novel coronavirus continue to spread.

"The current state is really not good," the highly respected Fauci, head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said in a Facebook and Twitter livestream on Monday.

"We are still knee deep in the first wave" of COVID-19 infections," he said.

Trump, speaking Tuesday in a TV interview, disagreed with Fauci, a key player on the White House's own Coronavirus Task Force.

"I think we are in a good place," the president said in an interview on the "Full Court Press" news show hosted by a former Fox News anchor, adding: "I disagree with him."

"Dr. Fauci said don't wear masks, now he says wear them," he continued, adding that the immunologist has "said numerous things" that according to Trump were bad advice.

"So we've done a good job. I think we are going to be in two, three, four weeks, by the time we next speak, I think we are going to be in very good shape," Trump added.

The United States has fared poorly in its handling of the pandemic, with more than 130,000 people losing their lives, the highest death toll in the world by far. Currently there is a surge of cases in the south and the west after regional officials began to relax restrictions.

Trump has downplayed the ever-rising number of daily cases, blaming them instead on increased testing.

The US is currently testing some 600,000 people a day, according to the COVID Tracking Project, but even this is deemed insufficient by health experts because of the very high rate of positive cases being found.

On Tuesday federal officials said they would offer free COVID-19 testing to people without symptoms to stem a surge of cases in three southern hotspots.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

"So we've done a good job. I think we are going to be in two, three, four weeks, by the time we next speak, I think we are going to be in very good shape," Trump added.

The United States has fared poorly in its handling of the pandemic, with more than 130,000 people losing their lives, the highest death toll in the world by far. Currently there is a surge of cases in the south and the west after regional officials began to relax restrictions.

Trump has downplayed the ever-rising number of daily cases, blaming them instead on increased testing."

What the huh?

You've done a good job of ignoring and deflecting and denying and turning the U.S. into a "chaotic disaster"

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @1    4 years ago

more americans have lost their lives in the last 4 months to covid-19 than the total number of US service members that have lost their lives in every conflict since the end of WWII. all due to the lack of leadership and incompetence of a completely useless POS/POTUS.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  devangelical @1.1    4 years ago
more americans have lost their lives in the last 4 months to covid-19 than the total number of US service members that have lost their lives in every conflict since the end of WWII. all due to the lack of leadership and incompetence of a completely useless POS/POTUS.

This is true. The total US military deaths from combat alone since WWII (75 years now) is approximately 87,000 (the majority of those is from the Korean & Vietnam wars). The current deaths (and counting) from covid are 133,803.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.1    4 years ago

Aren't the Trumpsters going to start talking about the people who died in car accidents?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.2    4 years ago

Give it time.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.4  CB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.2    4 years ago

The difference is this virus is unbounded. It is having a frightful impact on the foundations of our humanity: the ability to breath. A category quite unique to live itself. (Smile.)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  CB @1.1.4    4 years ago

As I see it, the reason the numbers keep rising in America is because of a cultural problem.  what is needed to contain the virus is at odds with the demand for individutal rights and freedoms.  

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.6  CB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.5    4 years ago

You are on to something: Certain conservatives (Trump supporters to be specific) have been working so hard for many decades to take 'ownership' of the constitution, and all "Americana" (that is, exceptional to this country) that they are faced with a dilemma. A trap of their own doing:

1. Freedom as an ideology must not be abridged.for this nation's majority.
  2. (Trump) Conservatives hold to a posture and policy conviction that liberals are wrong-headed in being amenable to partial collectivism. Thus, whatever the liberal position or policy/ies, some conservatives view it as an obligation to hold its opposite.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.7  Gordy327  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.5    4 years ago

Or maybe it's because people are being stupid, selfish, and inconsiderate.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago
The Guardian

Trump criticizes Fauci and says US in a 'good place' as Covid-19 cases top 3m

Martin Pengelly in New York
the_guardian_Light.png July 8, 2020, 3:04 PM EDT
d3eabc22eae9118e1b4e0c985826f394
Photograph: Al Drago/EPA

As the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the US   reached 3m on Wednesday   and broke another daily record with more than 60,000 new cases in 24 hours, Donald Trump insisted the US was “in a good place” and admitted he “didn’t listen to my experts”.

Related:  US reaches 3m confirmed Covid-19 cases as Pence pushes for schools to reopen – live

The president also publicly attacked the US’s most senior public health expert and leading non-political member of the White House coronavirus task force, Dr Anthony Fauci, who said earlier this week the US was still “ knee deep in the first wave ” of the pandemic.

More than 130,000 Americans have now died from Covid-19 infection, the highest death toll in the world.

Speaking to former Fox News host Greta Van Susteren for a Gray TV interview to be broadcast on Sunday, Trump said : “I disagree with him. You know, Dr Fauci said ‘don’t wear masks’ and now he says ‘wear them’. And you know, he’s said numerous things: ‘Don’t close off China. Don’t ban China.’

“And I did it anyway. I sort of didn’t listen to my experts and I banned China.”

That was a reference to Trump’s restrictions earlier this year on travelers from the country where the virus originated, ordered relatively early in the US outbreak. The World Health Organization and other authorities have   questioned the value of such travel bans .

Many people   were still able to travel from China and Covid-19 may have already spread to the US anyway. Trump this week officially moved   to withdraw the US   from the WHO.

Fauci, 79, has been director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases since 1984. In the early stages of the pandemic, he emerged as a trusted public voice.

But tensions with Trump were quick to emerge and Fauci has now   reportedly   been blocked from appearing on major media platforms. He made his “first wave” remark on a National Institutes of Health webcast on Monday, following sobering testimony to the Senate last week.

On Wednesday, the White House taskforce met at the Department of Education in Washington. Fauci   told CBS   he participated remotely. He was not present for a press briefing.

Trump has refused to wear a mask in public himself, or advocate that Americans do so. Most senior Republicans and administration officials including Vice-President Mike Pence now say masks are advisable. Pence started wearing one on official trips last week.

But there has been no national mandate and the vice president urged Americans only to follow local rules, while in some states governors have refused to mandate or even recommend masks and have in some cases banned local mayors from doing so. It has also been reported that the White House is seeking to persuade Americans they   will just have to live with the risk of infection .

Numerous mostly Republican-led states which began to reopen their economies in late May, Texas and Florida prominent among them, are reporting record coronavirus case numbers and rapidly growing pressure on hospital capacity. Reopening measures in states which were early hotspots, New York and New Jersey to the fore, have been paused or modified, and cases are declining.

Nonetheless, Trump insisted to Van Susteren that in the next two to four weeks, “I think we’re going to be in very good shape.” He has previously erroneously   contended   that the virus will soon simply disappear and that 99% of cases are harmless.

Seeking to satisfy Trump’s demand for campaign spectacle as he trails Joe Biden in most key polls, the Republican party has moved the main events of this summer’s national convention from Charlotte, North Carolina, a state with a Democratic governor who refused agree to ignore social distancing guidelines.

The main event has been moved to Jacksonville in Florida, a state with a Republican governor keen to keep his state open, although since then Covid-19 cases have soared in the state and Jacksonville has also moved to tighten up on social distancing and mask-wearing.

Public health experts and   political strategists   have expressed horror   at the prospect of mass events not subject to mandatory mask wearing or social distancing being staged in a state suffering badly from the virus.

Trump told Van Susteren the plan to go to Jacksonville in late August “really depends on the timing. Look, we’re very flexible. We can do a lot of things, but we’re flexible.”

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

The University of Arkansas Medical Sciences school said that with their new modeling they are projecting a peak sometime at the end of October with 20,000 new cases daily.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @3    4 years ago

My students just came back on July 6th.  We're hoping they can finish their rotations before they're possibly sent home AGAIN!

An intern at one of our sites tested positive for Co-Vid.

But we're doing just fine!!!!!!!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @3    4 years ago

That is why I am stocking up on some things now.  They are items I buy weekly so I plan to have at least 4 months worth on hand.  The only times I will venture out is to my mom and pop store for smokes and milk and to the bank once a month.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Ender  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.2    4 years ago

I actually have some of those boxes of milk that can sit on a shelf for a while.

Not as good but would do in a pinch.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.2    4 years ago

I just saw something about a run on stores again because of the possible lock downs.  Good Lord.  Am I going to have to go to Giant to find the shelves stripped bare again?  I mean they finally restocked paper towels.   

Still cannot find Lysol products anywhere . . . . .   

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
3.2.3  Account Deleted  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.2    4 years ago

#1. Pet food for 2 or 3 months.

#2. For #2, Toilet paper  - the good stuff not the corn husks.

#3. Alcohol  - either 70%rubbing alcohol or Bacardi 151. "No really officer - it's just my hand sanitizer..."

#4. Paper towels

#5. Flour and yeast

OK - there was never a shortage of pet food here - but it's kind of a moral priority.  The other things were in consistent short supply until just the past month. Food was never a problem.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @3.2.1    4 years ago

That instant milk is handy when you're making mashed potatoes and you don't have any milk. I've used it for something else, too, but can't remember

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Account Deleted @3.2.3    4 years ago

I get my pet stuff from Chewy.com. They're very good at letting me know if they're having a hard time getting my order to me.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.2.6  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @3.2.2    4 years ago

There won't be any lockdowns except in isolated cases.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.7  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @3.2.6    4 years ago

What?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2.8  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2.5    4 years ago

I get my cat's special food from Chewey.  They are a very good company.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.2.8    4 years ago

You were the one that told me I needed to go on their website to check and see if they had the dry food I like and the litter I like. Well, I did, and now I don't have to go Walmart for pet supplies! I was just getting the wet food and the treats because when I first started with them they were kind of limited in what they had.

I love that company! When Buster passed away they sent me a condolence card

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2.10  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2.9    4 years ago

I have used them before to get like flea medicine and stuff. Now I get those collars that last six to eight months. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2.11  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Account Deleted @3.2.3    4 years ago

I would add -

#6 - Medications

#7 - Bottled water

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Trout Giggles @3    4 years ago

And you really believe that?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @3.3    4 years ago

What's not to believe Greg?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47fd7629d204a0472ad6713557c46c03b13c2ca566&rid=giphy.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1  Gordy327  replied to  Tessylo @4    4 years ago

That is perfect Tess, jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5  Gordy327    4 years ago
Trump: 'I Disagree' With Fauci On COVID-19 In The US

I'll bet Dr. Fauci disagrees with Trump too. Other medical or scientific experts have disagreed with Trump and even had to correct him. But I think I'll go with a scientist over a politician when it comes to pandemic matters.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
6  lady in black    4 years ago

More failed leadership by crooked donnie...

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.1  Greg Jones  replied to  lady in black @6    4 years ago

He could say all the words you want him to, but people will still go out and mingle. It's the social nature of humans.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  Greg Jones @6.1    4 years ago
but people will still go out and mingle. It's the social nature of humans.

Then some humans are stupid and irresponsible!

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.2  CB  replied to  Gordy327 @6.1.1    4 years ago

Stupid and irresponsible people lacking in commonsense would go out an mingle. But, they would be the odd ones and not the norm.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  CB @6.1.2    4 years ago
Stupid and irresponsible people lacking in commonsense would go out an mingle.

Agreed.

But, they would be the odd ones and not the norm.

That I'm not so sure anymore.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
6.1.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Greg Jones @6.1    4 years ago
He could say all the words you want him to, but people will still go out and mingle. It's the social nature of humans.

But many more would not if he "said all the words".  He has failed utterly in supporting healthcare guidelines and providing a proper example during this pandemic. 

That's why other countries are reopening without fear of another wave of COVID, while the US has failed to flatten anything and are breaking new records in infections and deaths.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.5  CB  replied to  Ozzwald @6.1.4    4 years ago

Greg is making up an excuse. This is not one of those, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink!" instances. Trump supporters act onto his utterances. Human nature, notwithstanding.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.6  Gordy327  replied to  CB @6.1.5    4 years ago

Human nature or human stupidity? I'm beginning to think it's one and the same.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7  TᵢG    4 years ago
"Dr. Fauci said don't wear masks, now he says wear them," he continued, adding that the immunologist has "said numerous things" that according to Trump were bad advice.

Talk about Saul Alinsky tactics, this incessant drilling on a single point seems to be a mantra from Trump supporters.  

Further, typical Trump, gratuitiously discrediting Dr. Fauci and causing many of his supporters to doubt the importance of wearing masks.   Trump is an extraordinarily irresponsible occupant of the nation's highest, most influential office.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @7    4 years ago
Trump is an extraordinarily irresponsible occupant of the nation's highest, most influential office.

And yet, some people cling to his every word or every bit of his "advice" like it's gospel or something. It's no wonder Trump said he "loves the poorly educated." 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @7    4 years ago

That's all they have when it comes to talking about Dr. Fauci - "Dr. Fauci said don't wear masks, now he says wear them," 

That is all . . . 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.2.1  TᵢG  replied to  Tessylo @7.2    4 years ago

You have a point.   This is one incident in a rather substantial career with many recent data points on which to compare.   It is a very weak argument which smells strongly of partisanship.

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.2  CB  replied to  TᵢG @7.2.1    4 years ago

This is how Donald Trump fights. He compromises his friends. And when they become 'opponents' spouting a different view point damaging to his own, Trump regurgitates a moment of weakness in judgement in his perceived critic. Trump does not look to win long-term, just in the moment! Think "mileage."

So far Trump has denigrated: Generals, Combat veterans, Politicians, Business leaders, Intel Directors, FBI directors, Inspector Generals, veteran Soldiers, Ambassadors, Lawyers, Presidents of other nations, World organizations (The WHO), the Sciences, and now, Doctor Fauci (NIH); all taken down by the whims of a man who takes responsibility for nothing done wrong on his watch. In Trump's reality, you always appoint a scapegoat!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.2.3  TᵢG  replied to  CB @7.2.2    4 years ago

Well, CB, I think your comment is spot on.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.2.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  CB @7.2.2    4 years ago

Another seed talks about a vaccine that should be ready by the end of the year.  If it is the WHO that will be responsible for distribution, then the US will be last of the distribution chain thanks to you know who.

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.5  CB  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.2.4    4 years ago

Trump is stiff-arming friendly nations, 'bankrupting' this country, and corrupting its citizens. And, yes he is 'murdering' science - right before our eyes! And all we do is hold our hands and whimper. Trump is coming after your children now. . . .

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @7    4 years ago

Folks act like it's a crime to change your mind on something especially after you've received more information

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.3.1  TᵢG  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.3    4 years ago

Partisanship makes some folks behave stupidly.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.3.2  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @7.3.1    4 years ago
Partisanship makes some folks behave stupidly.

Or maybe some folks are just plain stupid?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.3.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @7.3.1    4 years ago

Nah.....

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.3.4  TᵢG  replied to  Gordy327 @7.3.2    4 years ago

Some certainly seem to be stupid.   I think most, however, are not as stupid as their positions suggest.   Blindly (i.e. not understanding the reasons well enough to defend the position; just acting because an authority said to) following authority (be it partisan or religious) can make some (most?) people speak and behave stupidly even when they are not actually stupid (in an IQ sense).  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.3.5  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @7.3.4    4 years ago
Some certainly seem to be stupid. 

You are kinder than I am TiG.

Blindly following authority (be it partisan or religious) can make some (most?) people speak and behave stupidly

That's stupid right there.

even when they are not actually stupid (in an IQ sense).  

I'm not specifically referring to overall IQ. Although, when people behave or act stupid, especially where partisan politics is concerned, I certainly have to wonder about IQ levels.

CB
Professor Principal
7.3.6  CB  replied to  Gordy327 @7.3.5    4 years ago

Some people lack commonsense as a balance to all other achievements in knowledge. For example, it is possible to have higher education accomplishments and consistently not understand the value in balancing a checkbook!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.3.7  Gordy327  replied to  CB @7.3.6    4 years ago

That is true.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.3.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @7.3.4    4 years ago
Blindly (i.e. not understanding the reasons well enough to defend the position; just acting because an authority said to) following authority (be it partisan or religious) can make some (most?) people speak and behave stupidly even when they are not actually stupid (in an IQ sense).  

Do you think that's why we see so much obtuseness and outright defiance here at NT?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

Well, then.  Trump disagrees with Fauci.  Who am I to believe?  Fauci, who graduated first in his class from Cornell Medical School, and has turned down offers to head the NIH, or Trump, whose own Secretary of State called him a "fucking moron"?

What to do, what to do.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

I can't add anything to this - the facts are so obvious even the die-hard NT Trump supporters have to realize the mistake of their unbridled support (but of course that will be the frosty day when any one of them will admit it).  Anyway, what is clear to me is what I've been saying for weeks about the numbers, and it's becoming more and more correct - You ain't seen nothin' yet.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
9.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9    4 years ago

Don't be too gleeful at our problems, things are deteriorating in China also.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
10  It Is ME    4 years ago

"Trump: 'I Disagree' With Fauci On COVID-19 In The US"

Any "Normal" person would too !

The guy has been all over the place.... with his "Expertise" ....... since this started ! 

Hell.... Dr. Fauci even admitted his initial "Don't wear mask" crap....was all about "Supply vs. Demand" !

So what should be trusted, coming from his mouth !

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @10    4 years ago

"Trump: 'I Disagree' With Fauci On COVID-19 In The US"

The guy has been all over the place.... with his "Expertise" ....... since this started ! 

Hell.... Dr. Fauci even admitted his initial "Don't wear mask" crap....was all about "Supply vs. Demand" !

So what should be trusted, coming from his mouth !

That leaves tRump and the majority of his supporters OUT

Yet you believe every turd that drops out of tRumps' sphincter.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
10.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @10.1    4 years ago

[deleted]

CB
Professor Principal
10.1.2  CB  replied to  Tessylo @10.1    4 years ago

Tessylo! I want to vote up your comment, I really do. Alas, I can not. Too raw. (Smile.)

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @10    4 years ago

Talk about Saul Alinsky tactics, this incessant drilling on a single point seems to be a mantra from Trump supporters.  

"Further, typical Trump, gratuitiously discrediting Dr. Fauci and causing many of his supporters to doubt the importance of wearing masks.   Trump is an extraordinarily irresponsible occupant of the nation's highest, most influential office."

It Is ME
Masters Guide
10.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @10.2    4 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @10    4 years ago

You told me that you don't wear a mask in public.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
10.3.1  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @10.3    4 years ago
You told me that you don't wear a mask in public.  

Dr. Fauci said It was useless.

Didn't you read or listen to his "Memo's ?