╌>

Veterans Group - Trump Sent Tucker Carlson On A Suicide Mission To Take Down Tammy Duckworth

Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  27 comments

Veterans Group -  Trump Sent Tucker Carlson On A Suicide Mission To Take Down Tammy Duckworth

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Senator Tammy Duckworth of Illinois, a Thai-American Democrat who lost both of her legs fighting in the Iraq war and is now a potential vice-presidential nominee, was targeted with nativist smears for the second night in a row on Tuesday by Fox News's Tucker Carlson.

Mr. Carlson, whose broadsides have been amplified on Twitter by President Trump, attacked Ms. Duckworth in his monologue for suggesting during a Sunday interview on CNN's "State of the Union" that it was worth discussing the value of removing monuments of George Washington, the nation's slave-owning first president.

On Tuesday night Mr. Carlson labeled both Ms. Duckworth, who was born in Thailand to a Thai mother of Chinese descent and a white American veteran father, and the Somali-born Representative Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, "vandals" who hate the United States because they have called attention to its historical racism and inequities.

"There are many of us here who do like this country," Mr. Carlson said, as a graphic on the screen read, "We have to fight to preserve our nation & heritage."

"We live here," he said. Then, adopting language used for a century by those aiming to restrict the country to people of Northern and Western European ancestry, he added: "We don't want to destroy it. We have every right to fight to preserve our nation and our heritage and our culture.

"And when vandals like Tammy Duckworth and Ilhan Omar tell us that we're not allowed to question their patriotism, even as they scream about how horrible America is, we have every right to laugh in their faces, and we should," Mr. Carlson said.

Mr. Carlson also called Ms. Duckworth a "moron" on Tuesday night, saying that to people like her, "Washington is just some old white guy who needs to be erased."

He added: "Let's tear down our statues, rename our capital city Sharpton or Mandela and let the revolution continue. Tammy Duckworth is not a child, at least not technically; she is a sitting United States senator."

Ms. Duckworth's ancestors served in the military as far back as the American Revolution, a fact that is supported by genealogical records and that she pointed out in a tweet responding to the Trump campaign, which had echoed Mr. Carlson's attacks in a statement.

"My family fought for our nation's independence alongside George Washington & I'm a proud member of @TodaysDAR," she said, referring to the Daughters of the American Revolution. She urged the president to "focus on ending #COVID19 & standing up to Putin instead of wasting time trying to distract people from your failures."

And VoteVets, the liberal veterans organization that has pushed for Mr. Biden to choose Ms. Duckworth as his running mate, on Wednesday morning posted a video calling Ms. Duckworth "tough as hell" and accusing Mr. Trump of being scared to run against her.

"He sicced Tucker Carlson on a suicide mission to take her down," the video's narrator says.

Mr. Carlson's comments in recent months have drawn growing criticism even as his ratings have remained strong -- the best on his network in June. Advertisers, under pressure to disassociate themselves from his show, have fled to other Fox News programming.

Nativist attacks on Democratic women of color in Congress are hardly new for Mr. Carlson and Mr. Trump. Ms. Omar was one of four Democratic women who were the target of "send her back" chants at a Trump rally in North Carolina nearly a year ago. She is also, along with Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, featured in scores of Republican television ads and political mailers as examples of what the party's candidates are fighting against.

Former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr., who is weighing adding Ms. Duckworth to his presidential ticket, defended her during an online fund-raising event with her Tuesday night.

Apparently referring to Mr. Trump's sharing the clip of Mr. Carlson's Monday night monologue, Mr. Biden said: "I can't tell you how I felt today when I heard the president of the United States, Donald Trump, questioning your patriotism. I found it virtually disgusting, sickening."

He added, "It's a reflection of the depravity of what's going on in the White House right now."

Ms. Duckworth did not address Mr. Carlson during the Biden fund-raiser, but on Twitter on Monday night she invited him to "walk a mile in my legs and then tell me whether or not I love America."

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago
"We live here," he said. Then, adopting language used for a century by those aiming to restrict the country to people of Northern and Western European ancestry, he added: "We don't want to destroy it. We have every right to fight to preserve our nation and our heritage and our culture.

That was characterized as "racist???"    Oh, it must be the partisan, race mongering New York Times!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    4 years ago

VoteVets.org is a left of center organization so about what one would expect.

More or less yawn worthy.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @2    4 years ago
Ms. Duckworth's ancestors served in the military as far back as the American Revolution, a fact that is supported by genealogical records and that she pointed out in a tweet responding to the Trump campaign, which had echoed Mr. Carlson's attacks in a statement. "My family fought for our nation's independence alongside George Washington & I'm a proud member of @TodaysDAR," she said, referring to the Daughters of the American Revolution. She urged the president to "focus on ending #COVID19 & standing up to Putin instead of wasting time trying to distract people from your failures."

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    4 years ago

Does fighting in the military give you a free pass to lie as a politician? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.1    4 years ago

She wasnt attacking Lincoln and Washington , she was attacking Trump. Sensible people see that immediately. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.2    4 years ago

does she not speak english? Does she think trump Is a dead man capable of giving speeches at Mount Rushmore?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.5  author  JohnRussell  replied to    4 years ago

All of those three disgraced their uniform while in the service. 

Try again. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    4 years ago
Ms. Duckworth's ancestors served in the military as far back as the American Revolution

So does mine so i guess you can't disagree with me either.  /s

Look, one can respect anothers service to this great country and still disagree with them politically.

At least for now we can .....

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.8  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.6    4 years ago

You can disagree with anyone you want.

Tucker Carlson said she hates America which is ridiculous. No one who is not a Trump deplorable is going to believe Carlson and it is backfiring on them. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.9  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.8    4 years ago
Tucker Carlson said she hates America w

well, she either  hates the people who fought founded the country and destroyed the confederacy. Or she's a liar who thinks her base is too stupid to pay attention and thought she could score cheap points with them by lying about the contents of Trump's speech. Which is it? 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.8    4 years ago
You can disagree with anyone you want.

Thx, appreciate the permission.

Tucker Carlson said she hates America which is ridiculous. No one who is not a Trump deplorable is going to believe Carlson and it is backfiring on them.

Typical disingenuous tactic not sharing the context in which the comment was made.   I didn't see either sides comments but from what i've read it was in context with her bringing up removal of founding fathers statues.

Now one could reasonably expect blow-back by attacking a founding father like that.   I respect her service and certainly her sacrifice but that doesn't give her cart-blanche to say whatever the hell she wants and get away with it without it being scrutinized.

And your allusion that people who question her comments are all deplorable?   Still haven't learned your lessons from 2016 have you?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Sparty On @2    4 years ago

A progressive special interest group defends a progressive. What a surprise!

Have the progressives announced the identity of the traitors Duckworth claims Trump was talking about in his speech? T

Lincoln? Washington?, Grant? 

That would be interesting.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.2    4 years ago

It IS a suicide mission for Tucker Carlson, Duckworth is not a radical and she will fight back. Why is Trump wasting everyone's time? 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.1    4 years ago

When has duckworth ever gone against the radicals? She’s just a generic progressive  vote with a Better backstory than most.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.1    4 years ago

Why do you care.  

I mean if it is the way you say then it's just more nails in Trumps coffin right?   You should be happy, so don't worry .... be happy.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    4 years ago

This is some desperate bullshit alright. Here is my favorite part:

Ms. Duckworth's ancestors served in the military as far back as the American Revolution

So? Who gives a flaming shit with sprinkles? I have an ancestor who fought in the American Revolution, too. Does that mean no one can ever disagree with me or call me names? How incredibly stupid!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tacos! @3    4 years ago

Same with me. My ancestors on my father's side did not exactly come over on the Mayflower. In point of fact they were on the next boat to land after it. My ancestors served/fought in every conflict from the French and Indian Wars all the way to Vietnam and the 1st Gulf War with me. I fully respect Tammy Duckworth's military service and sacrifice on behalf of this country, but there is no law on God's green Earth that say I have to respect her political views and I do not. Her right to them yes, bit not her views themselves. I feel the same way about Captain Mark Kelley.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago
"And VoteVets, the liberal veterans organization that has pushed for Mr. Biden to choose Ms. Duckworth as his running mate, on Wednesday morning posted a video calling Ms. Duckworth "tough as hell" and accusing Mr. Trump of being scared to run against her."

EXACTLY what I already said on two other seeds.  To me the force with which the Trump worshippers have been attacking her, including those on this site and this seed just PROVES what VoteVets and I have said.  They're scared, scared as hell, and will pull out all the stops in order to discredit her, even pairing her with Ilhan Omar (and I have no love for any of "the Squad", especially Omar and Rashid Tlaib) thinking that intelligent voters wouldn't realize what they were doing, and that's a waste of their time because I'm sure intelligent voters can see what they are doing.  I'm just waiting for them to say something, in their increasing desperation, about her being a "cripple", because if they do then there is absolutely no doubt that on January 17 Trump will be tarred and feathered and run out of the White House on a rail. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that when faced with a question as to whether George Washington's statues should be pulled down, she said that that's a matter for a public referendum.  She refused to answer yes or no and for that she is being accused of being a coward and a liar.  Well, now, if anyone with a brain could not see through that little game on Carlson's part, they shouldn't be allowed to vote due to not having the power of comprehension.   If George Washington had never owned slaves or mistreated blacks the obvious answer would be "no, because there is no cause", but taking into consideration the present debate and dissention on worshipping or honouring America's forefathers and slave ownership, the most perfect answer was given by her - let the people decide

I'll bet that veterans and military personell who previously voted for Trump will switch their vote if Tammy Duckworth can be VP.  I'm sure the Trumpsters think that could happen.

The obvious desperation and fear of the Trump supporters indicated by their MASSIVE attack on Tammy Duckworth (none of the other possible candidates for VP have been treated like that) has CONVINCED me that they are absolutely scared that she will guarantee the win for Biden, so I sure as hell hope he has the sense to name her.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    4 years ago

well, I, for one, am certainly not scared of Duckworth in any way.

No way she will be VP--the powers that be in the Democratic Party will force a choice of a black woman. Certainly not going to piss off much of the Democratic base by not doing so.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2  Tacos!  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    4 years ago
To me the force with which the Trump worshippers have been attacking her, including those on this site and this seed just PROVES what VoteVets and I have said.  They're scared, scared as hell

That's not a fair argument. That argument basically says that if someone says something dumb, and others are critical of it, they must be scared. We see this argument all the time and it's just a way of arguing when you don't have a supportable position. So rather than attack the point of view, you attack the person expressing it for being some kind of coward. But the only justification for this assessment is the energy with which they argue their position. Being enthusiastic=afraid? I don't think so.

pull out all the stops in order to discredit her

No stops are required. She is taking care of that all by herself.

I'm just waiting for them to say something, in their increasing desperation, about her being a "cripple"

Nope, so far that has been sole tactic of her supporters. They can't stop talking about how cruel it is to go after her for her comments. After all, they remind us over and over, she lost her legs. People should be nicer.

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Glad to:

She refused to answer yes or no and for that she is being accused of being a coward and a liar.

Close.

She is a coward for refusing to answer (twice) as to her opinion on whether or not statues of Washington should come down. She has no problem at all expressing her opinion on lots of other topics, but for this, she punted. And it's not the kind of thing she should be punting on. It's a simple matter. Will this senator defend the great heroes and leaders of America? Here, the clear answer is no, she will not. She also refused to concede that - as the interviewer pointed out - Washington was not a traitor. That is both graceless and despicably partisan. She is so relentlessly anti-Trump that she can't admit Trump talked about Washington, not a traitor.

She is a liar because she said Trump spent ALL his time talking about dead traitors. In fact, he spent NO time talking about dead traitors.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @4.2    4 years ago

Your whole premise rests on your opinion that she said something dumb, or did not provide the answer that was expected, and that's where we differ. I made it clear that she said exactly the right thing, so too bad that she can't be lured into saying something that her opponents can pounce on.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2.2  Tacos!  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.1    4 years ago
Your whole premise rests on your opinion that she said something dumb, or did not provide the answer that was expected, and that's where we differ.

Yes. Which is why for me, there is no fear.

so too bad that she can't be lured into saying something that her opponents can pounce on

You don't think she is being pounced on for what she said?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.2    4 years ago

Desperation knows no bounds, Tacos1.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2.4  Tacos!  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.3    4 years ago

uh huh