╌>

Transgender model Valentina Sampaio makes Sports Illustrated Swimsuit history

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  24 comments

By:   Alexander Kacala

Transgender model Valentina Sampaio makes Sports Illustrated Swimsuit history
This isn't the first time the 23-year-old Brazilian beauty has broken barriers for trans models.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Sports Illustrated will feature its first openly transgender model for the magazine's annual swimsuit issue. Valentina Sampaio was named a 2020 Rookie of the Year for the upcoming issue that hits stands on July 21, marking the first time a trans beauty is featured on the pages of the iconic publication.

"I am excited and honored to be part of the iconic Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue," she wrote on Instagram. "The team at SI has created yet another groundbreaking issue by bringing together a diverse set of multitalented, beautiful women in a creative and dignified way."

Valentina Sampaio for Sports Illustrated Swimsuit 2020 on sale July 21.Josie Clough / Sports Illustrated

The 23-year-old Brazilian called on her upbringing to highlight how far she has come, but also to shine a light on the staggering violence against trans women in that part of the world.

"I was born trans in a remote, humble fishing village in northern Brazil," she shared. "Brazil is a beautiful country, but it also hosts the highest number of violent crimes and murders against the trans community in the world—three times that of the U.S."

Let our news meet your inbox. The news and stories that matters, delivered weekday mornings. Sign Up

According to 2017 data from the National Association of Trans People and Transsexuals (ANTRA), a trans person is killed every 48 hours in Brazil.

"Being trans usually means facing closed doors to peoples' hearts and minds," she continued in her post. "We face snickers, insults, fearful reactions and physical violations just for existing. Our options for growing up in a loving and accepting family, having a fruitful experience at school or finding dignified work are unimaginably limited and challenging."

In a statement sent to TODAY.com, the magazine said, "Our goal in selecting who we feature in the SI Swimsuit Issue is centered around identifying some of the most inspiring, interesting and multidimensional women that we can find.

"Valentina has been on our radar for some time now and when we finally met face-to-face it became apparent that besides her obvious beauty, she is an impassioned activist, a true pioneer for the LGBT+ community and just simply embodies the well-rounded woman we are proud to have represent SI Swimsuit across our platforms."

On Friday, Sampaio sat down for a conversation with GLAAD, an LGBTQ media advocacy group, to talk about her historical inclusion in this year's issue.

"Sports Illustrated Swimsuit joins institutions from the Girl Scouts of the USA to Miss Universe in recognizing the simple fact that trans women are women," Anthony Ramos, GLAAD head of talent, told TMRW. "Talented women like Valentina Sampaio deserve to be spotlighted and given equal opportunities. Her work in Sports Illustrated Swimsuit is a significant step forward as the modeling industry continues its evolution on traditional standards of inclusion."

This is not the first time Sampaio has broken barriers for trans models.

Last year, she was hired by Victoria Secret's as the lingerie brand's first openly trans model. And in 2017, she became the first trans model to appear on the cover of any edition of Vogue after posing for Vogue Paris. Translated from French, the cover read, "Transgender beauty: How they're shaking up the world."

"My cover is another small step — an important step to show we have the force to be Vogue cover girls," Sampaio said in a Buzzfeed News interview at the time. "Many times transgender women find the doors are already closed for them professionally, which only marginalizes us further — but everyone has something to show."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
1  Dean Moriarty    4 years ago

It's as if they are trying to run this publication into the ground. I don't think they will be in business much longer with this garbage. What next an article about aging shot putters featuring Caitlyn Jenner? 

"The publishing company behind Sports Illustrated laid off 35 to 40 percent of the publication’s editorial staff Thursday, according to people familiar with the personnel moves, cuts that could decimate what was once the standard-bearer of American sports journalism.

Staffers speaking on the condition of anonymity out of concern of reprisal said the job losses are worse than most inside the magazine expected. Even die-hard optimists said morale was at an all-time low given the magazine’s recent struggles, and key managers were not given the opportunity to fight to save some of the organization’s most prized writers.

Sports Illustrated employees were invited to two separate “transition meetings” Thursday, gatherings that were feared to split the magazine into one group that would lose its jobs and another that would not, at noon and 12:30 p.m. But those meetings were canceled moments before they were set to begin, thrusting the 65-year-old publication into even more uncertainty."

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.1  pat wilson  replied to  Dean Moriarty @1    4 years ago

Sports Illustrated has had a lot of problems that began even before your dated link, none of them have to do with them featuring a trans cover model in July.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2  Texan1211    4 years ago

Gee, I remember when SI was getting flak for even having a swimsuit issue!

My, my, how times have changed!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    4 years ago

It's funny how "Women" complained about Models being Rebuilt, Fake, Not Real, Not like Regular Folks,  but now it's a "Worthy" cause to be "Changed" because it's a certain "IN" thing that's become popular. 

Hypocrites ..... ALL OF THEM !

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @3    4 years ago

It's not the IN thing to be transgender. . . 

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @3.1    4 years ago

Really Now ! jrSmiley_123_smiley_image.gif

Article notes otherwise.

Caitlyn Jenner is a "HERO" ....... for whacking off his peewee (Wildly Publicized) ! 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.1    4 years ago

and the left largely cheered!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.2    4 years ago
nd the left largely cheered!

Some folks have some really Weird Heroes.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.1    4 years ago
for whacking off his peewee (Wildly Publicized

I may be wrong, but I don't believe Jenner even had the surgery done...he's too old.

This model is not the least bit attractive to me...the face is too masculine and unattractive.

I've seen better looking drag queens.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.4    4 years ago

This ones a super hero. jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

They've beaten every "Girl" they've run against ! jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

So Proud ! 

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
3.1.6  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.5    4 years ago

Just a tidbit to add... My friend Barry [he's gay] has signed petition after petition regarding transgenders in sports. It's B.S. and everyone knows it. Men, genetically speaking, are faster and stronger than their female counterparts; therefore, despite going through the transition from male to female, they're still genetically stronger and faster and should NOT be in women's sports.

BTW, I'm guessing that you're not being serious with this post.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @3.1.6    4 years ago
BTW, I'm guessing that you're not being serious with this post.

Oh, I am !

He....or She ..... Whatever it is ..... has been all over the news  !

He/She is a "Star" in their mind, along with his mother and the Media !

He/She is a "Golden Child ! 

Andraya told the newspaper she hopes to “inspire people, but not only with track.”

“I hope it inspires people to not hold yourself back just because you’re scared of it or it is your first time doing it, or because of other people’s negativity,” she said.

The student’s mother, Ngozi Nnaji, said critics should stop focusing on her child’s biology while watching races or reading about the results.

“I know they’ll say it is unfair and not right, but my counter to that is: Why not?” Ms. Nnaji told the newspaper. “She is competing and practicing and giving her all and performing and excelling based on her skills. Let that be enough. Let her do that, and be proud of that.”

I suppose, if ya can't beat the "Boys", go after the "Girls" !

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
3.1.8  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.7    4 years ago

Good grief. BIOLOGY is the reason s/he is faster!!!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Sparty On  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @3.1.8    4 years ago

A person born a man, competing against women in sports like track, is just wrong in my book.

Hard to believe anyone can think it's okay really.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.1    4 years ago
Caitlyn Jenner is a "HERO"

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
3.1.11  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.9    4 years ago

I absolutely agree.

charger 383
Professor Silent
4  charger 383    4 years ago

When I was young one of my birthday presents was a subscription to SI, now I don't remember last time I looked at it

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5  Sparty On    4 years ago

“Dude looks like a lady”

- Aerosmith

Gazoo
Junior Silent
5.1  Gazoo  replied to  Sparty On @5    4 years ago

Yep, it looks like a guy with chick hair that skipped out on the boob job.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7  Texan1211    4 years ago

I remember when SI took flak for even having a swimsuit edition. Called it  objectifying women.