U.S. Supreme Court's Ginsburg in hospital after possible infection

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  4 years ago  •  42 comments

By:   Andrew Chung (MSN)

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was admitted to a hospital on Tuesday morning for treatment of a possible infection, a court spokeswoman said.

© Reuters/SARAH SILBIGER Justice Ginsburg Speaks at Georgetown University Law Center

"The Justice is resting comfortably and will stay in the hospital for a few days to receive intravenous antibiotic treatment," spokeswoman Kathy Arberg said in a statement.

Ginsburg, 87, was initially seen at a hospital in Washington, D.C., on Monday night after experiencing fever and chills. She underwent a procedure at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore on Tuesday afternoon to clean a bile duct stent that was placed last August.

Ginsburg, the court's oldest justice, has had a series of health scares in recent years. Last May she underwent non-surgical treatment for a gallstone that had caused an infection.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    4 years ago

I am betting that a whole lot of people who don't usually pray are praying she is okay.

It would just kill them if Trump got yet another SCOTUS pick.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
1.1  MonsterMash  replied to  Texan1211 @1    4 years ago

It's an election year if RBG dies or is unable to fulfill her duties whomever Trump nominated to the SCOTUS Democrats wouldn't give the nominee a vote. The Republicans wouldn't vote on Obama's nomination Merrick Garland saying because it was an election year the President-elect should make the appointment, The Democrats will use the same reasoning, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  MonsterMash @1.1    4 years ago

One difference you might be overlooking is that the GOP has the majority in the Senate, so the Democrats will be hard-pressed to stop them from appointing someone if it comes down to it.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
1.1.2  MonsterMash  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    4 years ago

That's true

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
1.1.3  Account Deleted  replied to  MonsterMash @1.1    4 years ago
McConnell was asked about how he would handle an opening if a justice were to die in 2020, when President Donald Trump is up for reelection. McConnell confidently replied, “Oh, we’d fill it.”

So sure you don't fill it if a Democrat is President, but you do if a Republican is in the White House. At least McConnell is consistent in his hypocrisy.

Of course, should this happen and Democrats regain control of the Senate and the Presidency - you will be looking at the 11 Supreme Court judges if not the 15. Oh but there would then be a cry from a Republican minority to return to the "regular order" in the Senate for appointing judges  -  something denied to Democrats.

Zero sum politics is pretty much now what we are stuck with.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.4  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Account Deleted @1.1.3    4 years ago

I am willing to bet whether the Democrats win or not, we will not have 11 or 15 Justices on the Court in your lifetime.

Why would Democrats be mad at the GOP for following rules put in place by Democrats? You DO remember who amended the rules to get more judges placed, don't you?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.4    4 years ago

illing to bet whether the Democrats win or not, we will not have 11 or 15 Justices on the Court in your lifetime.

There is a 100% certainty they will pack the court if they can.  If Ginsburg were replaced by Trump, and the Dems win the WH and Senate, President Biden's puppeteer will immediately nominate two far left justices.  And then the next time the Republicans control both, they'll follow the new  Biden Rule and  nominate, 4 or 6 or 8 extra justices....

And the politicization of the Supreme Court will be complete. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.6  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.5    4 years ago

I guess it is unreasonable of me to expect that the Democrats would have learned something from changing rules and having it backfire on them.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.6    4 years ago

I'd be amazed if they even bothered to stop and consider  the future if they thought  they could  "win" today.  They haven't yet. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.1.8  Tacos!  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.5    4 years ago

Or they will move to impeach the conservative justices based on . . . well, just because.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    4 years ago

Wrong, the principle used was that he had less than a year to go, which Trump has. It had nothing to do with the Senate. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.10  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.9    4 years ago

well, we disagree, and might have a chance to see what happens, but I do doubt it.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.1.11  Snuffy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.9    4 years ago
the principle used was that he had less than a year to go

That was the excuse given, but in reality it was partisan politics.  The Senate majority was Republican and the President at the time was Democrat. I feel confident that in the future when the Senate majority is the Democrats and the WH is held by the Republicans if a situation again comes up where there is an opening in the presidents last year that the Senate will again site on the nomination.  Party Politics, nothing else.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.13  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.10    4 years ago

Biden has already announced he will push the Senate to get rid of the legislative filibuster if he is President and Democrats control the Senate. The same filibuster Democrats shamelessly used to block Republican legislation favored by Trump.  

They'll remove the filibuster, pack the Supreme Court and probably the Court of Appeals and will accuse the next Republican President who does the same thing a constitutional terrorist.

You'd think, given their hyperventilating about Trump, they'd be more protective of the rights of the minority in Congress, but apparently  not. They must want the next  Republican that hate with the fire  of a thousand suns to have as much power as possible.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.2  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @1    4 years ago

Well, since you mention dying, actually I think they'd have a much higher risk of dying from contracting the Corona virus than dying because of any Election result!

Florida Sets Coronavirus Death Record , Hours After Gov. DeSantis Said State Had ‘Stabilized’

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @1.2    4 years ago

FFS, do you actually think I meant it literally?

LMMFAO!!!!!

Whoo boy!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Krishna @1.2    4 years ago

Imagine thinking corona virus only kills Republicans.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1    4 years ago

Can you imagine if something happens before the election?

BTW it turns out that she has cancer again:

Supreme Court  Justice  Ruth Bader Ginsburg  has been undergoing chemotherapy treatment since May because of a recurrence of cancer, the justice said in a statement Friday.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
2  JaneDoe    4 years ago

Fever and chills. I hope it’s not COVID. She is a tough old lady and I wish her well. With all the health issues she has been having IMO it’s time for her to move on and try to enjoy the rest of her years.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JaneDoe @2    4 years ago

I agree, but think she is desperately hanging in there, hoping a Democrat will be elected.

Just know that the next hearing for a SCOTUS nominee will be a real doozy no matter who is elected President!

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
2.1.1  JaneDoe  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    4 years ago

I agree, she is definitely hoping for a Democrat to be elected.

Just know that the next hearing for a SCOTUS nominee will be a real doozy no matter who is elected President!

No doubt. Each one has gotten uglier.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JaneDoe @2.1.1    4 years ago
Each one has gotten uglier.

I remember when Justices were judged largely by their court decisions, not on stuff that may or may not have happened in college or high school.

I wonder if that Way-back Time Machine will go so far back as junior high indiscretions next time?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    4 years ago
wonder if that Way-back Time Machine will go so far back as junior high indiscretions next time?

I'm sure someone will claim the next Republican nominee  skipped places in the lunch line in 7th grade. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.3    4 years ago
I'm sure someone will claim the next Republican nominee  skipped places in the lunch line in 7th grade

Or is a rapist because he tried to kiss a girl while in the 6th grade?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    4 years ago

All Ginsburg has to do now is not die.  She could be incapacitated and it doesnt matter now, in terms of Trump getting to nominate a replacement before the election.  The Supreme Court is in recess until October and she could take time off even then and maintain her seat. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.6  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.5    4 years ago

I hope she doesn't die--especially while still sitting on the Court.

Hate to think she hung in there for nothing instead of enjoying her last years.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.7  MonsterMash  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    4 years ago
I wonder if that Way-back Time Machine will go so far back as junior high indiscretions next time?

If a conservative male is nominated The Time Machine will go back to the cradle.

[deleted]

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.8  MonsterMash  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.4    4 years ago
Or is a rapist because he tried to kiss a girl while in the 6th grade?

Or tried to kiss a girl in pre-school

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2  Krishna  replied to  JaneDoe @2    4 years ago
IMO it’s time for her to move on and try to enjoy the rest of her years.

While I have no idea if she knows better than you what's best for her (or if you know better than her), consider the possibility that perhaps she has herself decided not to retire-- but rather continue serving 'till her death. (After all, while Justices are "appointed for life"-- there's no law that would force her to retire, if what she wants to do is continue there...)

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
2.2.1  MonsterMash  replied to  Krishna @2.2    4 years ago

Inscription on Ginsberg's tombstone:

Ruth Bader Ginsburgh

Born Mach 15, 1933  Died November 17, 2020

Supreme Court Justice June 30, 1980-November 17, 2020

She wouldn't give up her robes, she saved them for the worms.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
2.2.2  JaneDoe  replied to  Krishna @2.2    4 years ago

Never said I knew what was best for her. I gave my opinion. I also never said anything about forcing her to retire. Of course she is free to die on the bench. Totally her choice.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3  Sparty On    4 years ago

Hope she's okay.  

Don't agree with her much but unlike many here i don't hold hate in my heart for those i simply disagree with.

Get well Ruth!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @3    4 years ago

Really nice post, Sparty. I agree with your sentiment. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @3    4 years ago
i don't hold hate in my heart for those i simply disagree with.

NO ONE "simply disagrees" with Trump , (I assume that is what you were getting at). He's not fucking fit to hold office. Maybe one day before you die 40 or 50 years from now you will realize that. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2    4 years ago

Nah, you wouldn't "get" what i was getting at.   You're too far gone.

And if i'm still here 40 or 50 years from now ..... it will be a very big surprise but if i am.  

I promise you i won't be worrying about nonsense like this discussion.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    4 years ago

If she is really concerned about who might replace her, I don't know why she didn't just quit while Obama was president.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @4    4 years ago

She probably believed all the polls telling us that Hillary was a sure thing.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1    4 years ago

I think you're right about that.