After Twitter breach, lawmakers and experts concerned private messages were accessed

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 weeks ago  •  77 comments

By:   Ben Collins

After Twitter breach, lawmakers and experts concerned private messages were accessed
Lawmakers and cybersecurity experts are worried that whoever broke into the company's system could have gained access to private direct messages.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Concern about access to direct messages stems in part from broader worries that they could be leaked as part of a campaign to influence the U.S. election in November.

Michael Coates, who was Twitter's top digital security official from 2015 to 2018, said that because the attackers appeared tohave been motivated by money, they may not have been particularly sophisticated.

"It would seem that somebody with that level of access would have been more advanced," he said. "But the fact that they did that, it does not make me think that it was a nation-state."

Coates, who is now the CEO of the cybersecurity company Altitude Networks, also said it still isn't clear whether the attackers were able to gain access to DMs.

"We should not presume it, but we should not rule it out, either," he said.

Twitter declined to discuss whether direct messages had been breached, pointing to the company's official Twitter account, which hasn't addressed direct messages.

Hostile foreign intelligence services from Russia, China and Iran have all targeted private messages of public figures to embarrass governments and try to sway elections in the past. Russia conducted a sweeping hacking and disinformation campaign in 2016 that targeted the Democratic National Convention and Hillary Clinton's campaign chairman, John Podesta. Emails acquired through those efforts were eventually released through the intermediary WikiLeaks.

Russian intelligence services have also used the cover of a Bitcoin scam in an attempt to obtain private information. In 2016, the GRU tried to mirror the appearance of a malware attack called Petya, which held the contents of users' computers hostage in exchange for bitcoins.The GRU's variation on the attack, dubbed NotPetya, was solely focused on collecting private information, and it used the Bitcoin scam as a cover to evade detection.

NBC News contributor Clint Watts, a former FBI special agent, said that the hack could have been conducted by criminal hackers but that it's not possible to know for sure with the information currently available.

"If you wanted to influence the election, you wouldn't get Twitter all spun up to clean up their platform four months out," Watts said. "But if you're going to do a hack and dump, then maybe."

Watts added that a Twitter direct message hacking campaign "isn't the same as DNC internal emails," because so many lawmakers have shifted to more secure messaging platforms, and that Bitcoin scams are frequently "just what you see at the surface."

But Twitter DMs "would be useful if they just wanted general blackmail on everybody," he said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

CB
1  CB     4 weeks ago

Here we go yet again.  The outrage is happening again. Okay, everybody knows their places from 2016! Get to it!!! Or, will it be different this time around?

The Magic Eight Ball
2  The Magic Eight Ball    4 weeks ago
Lawmakers and cybersecurity experts are worried that whoever broke into the company's system could have gained access to private direct messages

lets hope so...

CB
2.1  CB   replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @2    4 weeks ago

Russian intrigue in America is unpatriotic.

Texan1211
2.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  CB @2.1    4 weeks ago

Please share the info you have that points toward Russia doing this.

It's the American way---proof along with accusations.

The Magic Eight Ball
2.1.2  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  CB @2.1    4 weeks ago
Russian intrigue in America is unpatriotic.

well, that explains why the left keeps doing it.

that russia bs is getting worn out.... LOL

loki12
3  loki12    4 weeks ago

Lets hope that Jack Dorsey, unlike the unamerican fucktards that were running the DNC during the last election actually turn their servers over to AMERICAN law enforcement so we can get an answer as to who did this, If it's not turned over to US cyber security experts than anything reported is just speculation.

CB
3.1  CB   replied to  loki12 @3    4 weeks ago

Being crass, is NOT helpful at a time like this. Russia caused this provocation it is being said. No need to curse others for minding their own business!

loki12
3.1.1  loki12  replied to  CB @3.1    4 weeks ago
Russia caused this provocation it is being said.

Not by anybody with any intelligence, It's in your own article, the former head of twitters cyber security and the head of his own cyber security firm stated.

"It would seem that somebody with that level of access would have been more advanced," he said. "But the fact that they did that, it does not make me think that it was a nation-state."

That by definition eliminates Russia as they are a nation state.  I think it was some woke retard trying to fool democrats out of their money with a bit coin scam. It appears he/she were quit successful.

And the person who wrote this is an uninformed moron,

"Russia conducted a sweeping hacking and disinformation campaign in 2016 that targeted the Democratic National Convention and Hillary Clinton's campaign chairman, John Podesta. Emails acquired through those efforts were eventually released through the intermediary WikiLeaks."

I guess the idiot who wrote this still believes the talking points and never read the SWORN testimony under oath to Adam Sciffs committee, The head of crowd strike UNDER OATH said there was no evidence that russia ex-filtrated the data.  

I guess some lies just won't die as long as some stupid ass journalist keeps repeating it. and people are willing to believe them.

CB
3.1.2  CB   replied to  loki12 @3.1.1    4 weeks ago
It's in your own article

Humph! As insightful as you are in your details for which for now I will commend you (there are breaking news stories that this is Russia's doing), you overlooked one 'critical' aspect apart from and involving this article: I did not post it. Check again.

So great observation from this specific article not singling out Russia, but no cigar on accusing me of posting it. (Smile.) More later.

loki12
3.1.3  loki12  replied to  CB @3.1.2    4 weeks ago

My bad on mistakenly accusing you of posting it, nice admission you didn't bother to read article or you wouldn't have accused the russians without proof, that you still haven't provided.

You do realize that when Mueller made that accusation the russians told him to show his proof......and the worthless POS tucked tail and ran, he didn't expect anybody to challenge him.  The dumbass actually tried to argue his indictment wasn't really an actual indictment....

CB
3.1.4  CB   replied to  loki12 @3.1.3    3 weeks ago
You do realize that when Mueller made that accusation the russians told him to show his proof......and the worthless POS tucked tail and ran, he didn't expect anybody to challenge him.  The dumbass actually tried to argue his indictment wasn't really an actual indictment....

I am not dealing with this with a Trump supporter. It would be a gross waste of good time. So, you can keep your glorified indulgent outbursts going and accomplish mostly nothing, scratch that, absolutely nothin' with me.

As to the 'other' part of your comment. Redundant. Our intel community has a good idea who did this. I digress.

loki12
3.1.5  loki12  replied to  CB @3.1.4    3 weeks ago

Actually they don’t, so you have nothing to support you position when faced with facts, show your proof Russia was behind this if you actually have any.

CB
3.1.6  CB   replied to  loki12 @3.1.5    3 weeks ago

I question your facts, and your aggression. So I suggest you take 'a moment' and not conflate your 2016 Russian hoax BS with this one.

As for my part, I now think I am conflating two different press released into one:

Cyber Daily: Coronavirus Researchers Fight State-Sponsored Attacks | Twitter’s Very Public Hack |
Europe Rethinks U.S. Data Moves

So I will take a 'reset' and come forward. Personally, I smell a rat and it remains 'red' anyway! (Sticks outtongue_out.jpg?w=303&h=258 !)

loki12
3.1.7  loki12  replied to  CB @3.1.6    3 weeks ago

Now I truly believe Russians are trying to steal coronavirus vaccine data, if I was in charge of Russia, China, the UK I would do anything to protect my citizens, even if it means stealing it if necessary, some countries aren’t above using it as a weapon, can you honestly say that if the US develops a vaccine and trump shares is with Russia some in the DNC won’t scream collusion?

CB
3.1.8  CB   replied to  loki12 @3.1.7    3 weeks ago

Back up. You framed the wrong question. Russia should invite itself or ask to join in a proper discussion with the United States. There is no proper channel or manner to hack our data!

If the United States does develop useful data (intellectual property) we get to deploy it properly not have it usurped and spread "willy-nilly" throughout the data streams of the world. Also, President Trump should not risk collusion possibilities, and he would not, if he involves congress (senate and house) in what he intends to share from the data agencies and gets agreement to some high degree.

loki12
3.1.9  loki12  replied to  CB @3.1.8    3 weeks ago

And yet China steals more intellectual property than any country and Biden is in their pocket,

the point I was making is a good leader will do anything to protect his people. 

CB
3.1.10  CB   replied to  loki12 @3.1.9    3 weeks ago

A good leader yes. Hey, how about that Coronavirus? How's it going? You feeling protected these days?

loki12
3.1.11  loki12  replied to  CB @3.1.10    3 weeks ago

Absolutely, I live in a red state with a mortality rate well under 2, glad I don’t leave in a state ran by incompetent douchebags like NY or NJ.

devangelical
3.1.12  devangelical  replied to  loki12 @3.1.9    3 weeks ago
the point I was making is a good leader will do anything to protect his people

yeah, that's worked out great so far this year........

loki12
3.1.13  loki12  replied to  devangelical @3.1.12    3 weeks ago

Sorry you are having a hard time, weird that you would think trump is a good leader. 

CB
3.1.14  CB   replied to  loki12 @3.1.11    3 weeks ago

Those insults are well, weak. You can 'muster' up better than this. But, keep at it Loki2! So your state has a good leader-that's stellar!!! How about this nation on the coronavirus—how we doing? Give us an at-ground-level grade!

loki12
3.1.15  loki12  replied to  CB @3.1.14    3 weeks ago

Our mortality rate even with the retards in the NE are better than Germany and most of the EU,

so my friend I answered your question, how about you give it a try, exactly what would you do differently, realizing that there is a constitution and states rights, please detail what you would have done differently?

loki12
3.1.16  loki12  replied to  CB @3.1.14    3 weeks ago

Those aren’t insults by the way, they are accurate descriptions of the leadership in those states, I would resign in shame if I was Cuomo, but then, unlike Cuomo I have integrity.

CB
3.1.17  CB   replied to  loki12 @3.1.15    3 weeks ago

Useless comparisons. The United States, conservatives have told me often is exceptional. Moreover, under your president, our country is nativist! My exception is that we gaze at our leadership and ask ourselves: Coronvirus: How did we get here?!

What I would do if I had the responsibility (I do not) is this:

1. Listen to the professional scientists, researchers, medical doctors, public health logisticians, and specifically Dr. Anthony Fauci. Oh yeah, the frontline workers.
  2. Front-line workers would be my 'soldiers' in medical arms, thus, they would want for nothing and definitely not PPEs.
  3. I would authorize the defense production act immediately.
  4. I would form a team of 'rivals' and listen intently to both sides and hopefully go with the best choices delivered from their fine minds.
  5. I would mandate mask protection nationally.
  6. I would use common sense.

What I would not do is this:

1. Take my eye off the goal of supporting my team as its cheer and resource leader. (I would not start sulking, make this all about me and my sore feelings, take my 'ball' and go gallivanting around Tulsa and Phoenix bouncing my 'ball' while making secret service agents and others sick of  coronavirus trying to help me feel better about tired and old self.
  2. I would not allow coronavirus to see me 'sweat' turning this into mental combat and fatigue for the citizenry. Defeat the virus. Do not knock the 'daylights' out of the nation's citizenry.

It is Donald Trump who with the support of the house and senate just issued recovery checks to mostly every adult in this country. The constitution and states' rights did not blink an eye. 

Do not distract. And, do not digress.

CB
3.1.18  CB   replied to  loki12 @3.1.16    3 weeks ago

If you say so; I guess it is true?

loki12
3.1.19  loki12  replied to  CB @3.1.17    3 weeks ago

I will address number 1, Fauci lied to the American public putting millions at risk with his, you don’t need masks, 2 he went to NPR and said NY did it right? He must be fucking retarded if he thinks NY did it right, 8% mortality rate and a governors EO ordering senior centers to take back Covid cases, and then granting those owners immunity! If Fauci thinks this is right he is a fucking idiot.

loki12
3.1.20  loki12  replied to  CB @3.1.17    3 weeks ago

As for your #3, according to CNN trump did that 3 months ago. In the beginning of April.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/04/02/politics/defense-production-act-ventilator-supplies/index.html

loki12
3.1.21  loki12  replied to  CB @3.1.17    3 weeks ago

So you use stimulus to try to define states rights? That is your argument? So you support active duty troops putting down the worthless thugs rioting in the cities? Stimulus checks are a poor example, mandating behavior is something different. Think schools and you might figure it out.

CB
3.1.22  CB   replied to  loki12 @3.1.19    3 weeks ago

I don't do right-wing talking points, Loki12. It is clear (to me) that you do. Dr. Fauci has forgotten more about science than me, you, and Trump can probably put forward collectively. I'll take that bet! Sure it takes time to get one's head around a new disease, but I will not indulge Trump and his supporters in tired, reckless, defenseless talking points. You can have them for all the good it will do.

CB
3.1.23  CB   replied to  loki12 @3.1.20    3 weeks ago

He needs to authorize it again properly and not as late. Although, fall is just around the corner. (Might already be too late to amass PPE in the proper accumulations.)

CB
3.1.24  CB   replied to  loki12 @3.1.21    3 weeks ago

I have no idea how you are about with that one. Come again. The federal government issued stimulus checks without a "by your leave" from the states that followed after. The federal government went into a national lockdown concurrently without a "by your leave" from the states that followed after. The federal government can nationally mandate mask.This is beginning to drag. Next comes tediousness (if you do not pull "up")

loki12
3.1.25  loki12  replied to  CB @3.1.24    3 weeks ago

There is no federal lockdown, once again you will fail to provide a source.

loki12
3.1.26  loki12  replied to  CB @3.1.23    3 weeks ago

It’s already in effect since April 2, he hasn’t revoked it, sigh.....

loki12
3.1.27  loki12  replied to  CB @3.1.22    3 weeks ago

Did he or did he not tell people to not wear masks knowing full well the consequences? He put millions at risk due to his lies.

CB
3.1.28  CB   replied to  loki12 @3.1.25    3 weeks ago

Reread @3.1.24 look for a word in the past tense: "Went."

CB
3.1.29  CB   replied to  loki12 @3.1.26    3 weeks ago
He needs to authorize it again properly. . . .

CB
3.1.30  CB   replied to  loki12 @3.1.27    3 weeks ago

You're being ridiculous. Do you know what context is? Do you know what playing with yours and others lives is? Donald Trump is no scientist. And only a deluded group of people would consider Trump to be one at this critical time for us!

Consider this: This invisible virus, a microbe, is mocking these silly talking points of yours! It is looking to determine which one it will consume 'whole' next! While you play with your 'points'!

We are done here. This is merely a distraction.

loki12
3.1.31  loki12  replied to  CB @3.1.30    3 weeks ago

Did Fauci lie to the American public putting millions of lives at risk? it is a simple question,  Trump lying about his crowd size hurts no one and the left whines daily about it.  Fauci lies killing god knows how many and you dismiss it? when he knew better and people would die. I don't think I'm the one being ridiculous here.

loki12
3.1.32  loki12  replied to  CB @3.1.29    3 weeks ago

Define properly, He used it to create ventilators and PPE, exactly how would you do it different? be specif. simply complaining doesn't do any good.

loki12
3.1.33  loki12  replied to  CB @3.1.28    3 weeks ago

Trump has never issued a federal lock down,  This is what you wrote,

The federal government went into a national lockdown concurrently without a "by your leave" from the states that followed after. 

We have not gone into a federal lockdown CONCURRENTLY with anything, past or present under trump, post your source! We both know you can't. 

CB
3.1.34  CB   replied to  loki12 @3.1.31    3 weeks ago

Actually you are being ridiculous. And you take me for a fool apparently. I see you slipped this in:

When he knew better and people would die.

How dare you take such liberties to advance an obvious untruth. Moreover, were it true it would expose the ineptness of Donald Trump and his sycophants who let it (Fauci) slip by the eyes and ears of the so-called, 'ever-watchful' administration.

But, it did not happen that way . . . . 

Dr. Fauci shared science and medicine and that only as it advances on a new coronavirus . . . . Yes, people die while science is catching up and learning (as is happening now during this pandemic).

Then you dare try this:

Trump lying about his crowd size hurts no one. . . .

Again, you dare to attempt playing me for a fool?!  Trump lies every day throughout. And you selectively pick this one to obliquely pass under close scrutiny. How about you stay on Fauci! 

Trump stopped listening to the science and the medical professionals and swapped in rhetoric that is condemning people in red states now to ventilators and chronic medical conditions—many will ultimately end up on disability (watch and see). It is Trump who ignores the coming 'virus storm' that is going to sicken people with flu and coronavirus as soon as the seasons term cool. Indeed, this pandemic may cause the flu season to prematurely arrive early!

And here you are shilling for Trump the lying and ridiculous wunderkind. Pitiful. Sad. Pathetically laughable.

CB
3.1.35  CB   replied to  loki12 @3.1.32    3 weeks ago

I do not have the responsibility or the accountability. If Trump did not want to deal with a pandemic as president, then Trump conservatives failed to vet him properly.

We all need masks for the whole nation of the caliber to stay healthy and not sick. That is, the first line defenders, "our heroes," and the general public need to be able to find 95% or higher (99%) protection masks even at a cost for the public during this coming 'virus storm' when flu and coronavirus will likely interlace themselves.

We are not ready.

It is the duty of the president to care and to model care and concern in crisis-mode. This 'fool' is gallivanting around the country hand and face modeling Goya beans and such!

CB
3.1.36  CB   replied to  loki12 @3.1.33    3 weeks ago

Not sure what your issue is with the word, "concurrently," so I will leave that for another time.

I will back into this (as I am busy):

Trump says he intends to reopen country in weeks, not months

Health Mar 23, 2020 8:59 PM EDT
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump said Monday that he wants to reopen the country for business in weeks, not months, and he claimed, without evidence, that continued closures could result in more deaths than the coronavirus pandemic. “We can’t have the cure be worse than the problem,” Trump told reporters at a press briefing, echoing a midnight Sunday tweet. “We have to open our country because that causes problems that, in my opinion, could be far bigger problems.”

Well, you cannot open what is not closed. If you are stuck on the word, " concurrently ," then just disregard it. But, do not needle me on one word BS. Time is a commodity.

loki12
3.1.37  loki12  replied to  CB @3.1.36    3 weeks ago

It was never [closed,deleted] Show the order ordering it closed [deleted]

loki12
3.1.38  loki12  replied to  CB @3.1.35    3 weeks ago

So you led about the defense act too, [deleted]

CB
3.1.39  CB   replied to  loki12 @3.1.38    3 weeks ago

You can't call me or any other member here a liar. It is an offense. So. . . .

As to the meaning of your rant, I find you have nothing to relate to me. I know Trump shutdown the federal system because I watched him do it on television. Where ever you were that day is none of my business. But, I will not indulge you further on it. Ask a fellow republican to 'walk' you through it.

Texan1211
3.1.40  Texan1211  replied to  CB @3.1.39    3 weeks ago

He didn't call you a liar.

CB
3.1.41  CB   replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.40    3 weeks ago

I am not talking to you about an offense, Texan1211. You can help Loki with the Trump federal shutdown (he missed it apparently) if you wish. Sorry, my manners.

. . . Please.

loki12
3.1.42  loki12  replied to  CB @3.1.41    3 weeks ago

Post the order from trump for a federal shutdown [deleted]

you made the claim, the onus is on you to prove it! Post the order!

loki12
3.1.43  loki12  replied to  CB @3.1.39    3 weeks ago

You can’t post a shutdown because it doesn’t exist, saying someone lied isn’t an offense. [deleted] about the order and 24 hours later you still have no proof!

loki12
3.1.44  loki12  replied to  CB @3.1.39    3 weeks ago

[ deleted ] here is every action taken by the federal government, find where trump shutdown the government or where he opened it by date, [ deleted ]

[ https://ballotpedia.org/Federal_government_responses_to_the_coronavirus_(COVID-19)_pandemic,_2020 ]

Ender
3.1.45  Ender  replied to  loki12 @3.1.44    3 weeks ago

The states shut down. I would say some federal shut down as they changed their ways. Didn't meet or gather and basically stopped business as usual.

You are only arguing semantics and avoiding his point of donald not having any plan other than to deny there was a problem then blame everyone else.

Texan1211
3.1.46  Texan1211  replied to  CB @3.1.41    3 weeks ago
I am not talking to you about an offense, Texan1211.

A wise decision since there was no offense.

You can help Loki with the Trump federal shutdown (he missed it apparently) if you wish.

He didn't ask for my help, nor does he need it.

Read post 3.1.44, look at the facts.

loki12
3.1.47  loki12  replied to  Ender @3.1.45    3 weeks ago

[deleted] trump didn’t order a shutdown. SD never shut anything down, many states didn’t have stay at home, no semantics but facts, [deleted]

Ender
3.1.48  Ender  replied to  loki12 @3.1.47    3 weeks ago

Where did I lie? I never said he did and many states did.

Mine did at first until donald started complaining.

And once again, you are arguing semantics and avoiding what was talked about.

I wonder why....

CB
3.1.49  CB   replied to  loki12 @3.1.43    3 weeks ago

FULL SPEECH: President Trump address the nation on coronavirus (9 minutes)

President Trump announces national emergency

CHECKS ARE COMING: President Trump signs $2T Stimulus Bill

CB
3.1.50  CB   replied to  Ender @3.1.48    3 weeks ago

I am trying to get more information to present itself on Youtube, but some of the videos are 'sitting and spinning.' Will try again on Monday! Also, our Trump supporters know what I mean by extrapolation. That is, Trump and republicans in the senate are not pulling the inarguable and extraordinary action of a 2 billion dollar pay-out from Treasury for the people and businesses of the United States and (Federal Reserve actions) except there is a shutdown from coast to coast.

I will get to present here later!

Ender
3.1.51  Ender  replied to  CB @3.1.50    3 weeks ago

Odd to me that they will flat out deny the truth.

Even when everyone can see...

loki12
3.1.52  loki12  replied to  Ender @3.1.45    3 weeks ago
The states shut down. I would say some federal shut down as they changed their ways

SD never shut down and many states had Stay at home orders. CB specific said trump ordered a federal shutdown if he did there would be an order like the travel bans, Since you have integrity, Did trump order a nationwide shutdown like CB claimed multiple times? 

loki12
3.1.53  loki12  replied to  Ender @3.1.51    3 weeks ago

I'll ask you did trump order a shutdown Yes? or No? Not some speech where he talks about the states shutting doen and him wanting them to reopen for his election did he order a shutdown.

CB
3.1.54  CB   replied to  loki12 @3.1.52    3 weeks ago

OKAY! It's Monday! And, I am back!

You are correct about the lack of a federal lock-down or stay-at-home order!

• There was no OFFICIAL federal lockdown due to the coronavirus. It was considered to make it official, but in the end that did not occur. Though, Trump did try to take control over what came out of what did occur. That is, Trump tried to take over the official REOPENING of the country.

Kudos to you for catching my bad choice of wording (and 'crushing' it).

• US President Trump Releases New Guidelines to Slow Coronavirus Spread

March 16, 2020

U.S. President Donald Trump and the coronavirus task force released the guidelines as the U.S. government moved to try to blunt the impact of the virus, racing to bolster testing and aid even as financial markets fell and Americans scrambled to reorder their lives.

Among the new recommendations: Over the next 15 days, Americans should not gather in groups of more than 10 people, schooling should be at home and discretionary travel and social visits should be avoided. If anyone in a household tests positive for the virus, everyone who lives there should stay home.

As normal life in the United States quickly came to a halt with mandated closures of businesses beginning in many states, stock prices on Wall Street plunged Monday. Despite an extraordinary move taken by the Federal Reserve a day earlier to boost investor confidence, the S&P 500 index fell 8% in the opening seconds, prompting an automatic 15-minute halt to stock trading. When trading resumed, stocks prices continued to dive (with the Dow Jones Industrial Average losing as much as 2,500 points – a drop of 11%. ) The Fed, which is America’s central bank, on Sunday made an emergency cut to interest rates, bringing them to near zero, amid deep concern that the coronavirus pandemic will hit corporate revenue globally. Despite the move, Asia markets fell sharply in Monday trading, a harbinger of what would happen hours later on Wall Street. (VOA/AP)

Trump issued, "15 Days to slow the Spread" guidelines in March.

On May 29, 2020 officially extended those guidelines until April 30, 2020:

Trump extending guidelines on social distancing until end of April

The guidelines had a practical (kaleidoscope) impact :

Many schools, bars and restaurants from coast-to-coast shut down in an effort to prevent people from gathering in public places as COVID-19 cases surpassed 4,000 throughout 49 states.
  • Source:

Texan1211
3.1.55  Texan1211  replied to  CB @3.1.54    3 weeks ago

So, finally, you admit that he was right.

About damn time!

CB
3.1.56  CB   replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.55    3 weeks ago

I don't capitulate to you or anybody else. We are both right. Trump's did not order a shutdown and his federal guidelines accomplished the states having to act unilaterally to apply federal pandemic guidelines. In that sense, Trump found a 'work-around' to accomplish a shut down without doing it officially. As things go, based on the federal system action, the states (governors, mayors, and health departments) issued 'shut-down,' curfews, and shelter in place notifications for which the federal government followed-up with at the time, one of a kind 'recovery' payments to a widening swath of the citizenry of this country.

I digress, nevertheless.

But, carry on the selfish in-balance. I expect nothing less than partisanship from some Trump supporters!

I did my 'homework' and I came back to share my findings comprehensively. I do not need nor do I want to hide, run, or 'shelter in place' from the truth!

Texan1211
3.1.57  Texan1211  replied to  CB @3.1.56    3 weeks ago

I didn't ask you to capitulate. I was congratulating you on finally seeing the light. all he was saying is that Trump never ordered a shutdown, which you took exception to, erroneously, as it turned out.

now, you can try to spin it however you wish, but it doesn't change the facts.

CB
3.1.58  CB   replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.57    3 weeks ago

Well, receive it any way you wish. We're both right! I've done about all I can and care to do for you and yours. Exception: I have one more comment on the federal response to Covid 19 coming up tonight! Watch for it!

Psst. I can take a 'hit' and keep on tickin'. Trump supporters can't take "The Trump hit" challenge!

Texan1211
3.1.59  Texan1211  replied to  CB @3.1.58    3 weeks ago

spin, baby, spin!!!!!

here's a cookie!

CB
3.1.60  CB   replied to  loki12 @3.1.53    3 weeks ago

As I stated (above) a kaleidoscope of activities took place on the peripheral edges and inside the early days of the United States Coronavirus response :

United States

The U.S., the world's largest economy, went into recession in February of 2020. It has taken a broad range of steps to combat the economic disruption caused by COVID-19. Congress passed trillions of dollars in fiscal programs, while the U.S. central bank , the Federal Reserve , added trillions of dollars in monetary stimulus.

Fiscal Policy

Throughout March and April 202 0, the U.S. government passed three main relief packages, and one supplemental one, totalling nearly $2.8 trillion.

The first relief package, the Coronavirus Preparedness and Response Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2020, since nicknamed Phase One, was signed into law on March 6, 2020 . 33 It allocated $8.3 billion to do the following:

• Fund research for a vaccine
  • Give money to state and local governments to fight the spread of the virus
  • Allocate money to help with efforts to stop the virus's spread overseas 34

The second relief package, the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) or Phase Two, was signed into law on March 18, 2020 35 . It allocated $3.4 billion in relief and included the following provisions:

• Providing money for families who rely on free school lunches in light of widespread school closures.
  • Mandate companies with fewer than 500 employees provide paid sick leave for these suffering from COVID-19, as well as providing a tax credit to help employers cover those costs.
  • Nearly $1 billion in additional unemployment insurance money for states, as well as loans to states to fund unemployment insurance.
  • Funding and cost waivers to make COVID-19 testing free for all 36

The third, and by far the largest, relief package was signed into law on March 27, 2020. By nominal dollar amount, it is the largest single relief package in U.S. history. This law, called the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act and nicknamed the CARES Act or Phase 3 , appropriated $2.3 trillion for many different efforts: 37

• One-time, direct cash payment of $1,200 a person, plus $500 per child
  • Expansion of unemployment benefits to include people furloughed, gig workers, and freelancers until Dec. 31, 2020
  • Additional $600 of unemployment per week until July 31, 2020
  • Waived early withdrawal penalties for 401(k)’s for amounts of up to $100,000 until Dec. 31, 2020
  • Mortgage forbearance for federally-backed mortgages for 180 days
  • $500 billion in government lending to companies affected by the pandemic
  • $367 billion in loans and grants to small businesses through the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP ) and expanded Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) program
  • More than $130 billion for hospitals and health care provides
  • $150 billion in grants to state and local governments
  • Almost $60 billion for schools and universities 38 39

A supplementary stimulus package, nicknamed Phase 3.5, was signed into law on April 24, 2020. It appropriates $484 billion, mostly to replenish the PPP and the EIDL, and contains additional funding for hospitals, and COVID-19 testing. 40

Another supplementary measure, the Paycheck Protection Program Flexibility Act of 2020 , which modifies the PPP, was signed into law on June 5, 2020. It makes the following changes to the program:

• It allows businesses 24 weeks to spend the money, up from 8
  • It lowers the requirements for loan forgiveness: businesses now need to spend only 60% of their PPP funds on payroll, instead of 75% previously.
  • The payment deferment period is extend from 6 months, to when the borrower finds out the amount of their loan forgiveness
  • It allows businesses that received PPP loans to delay paying payroll taxes
  • It allows businesses loan forgiveness if they don't rehire workers who refused good-faith offers of re-employment or are unable to restore operations to levels before the COVID-19 pandemic.
  • It gives businesses until the end of the year to restore their payrolls to pre-crisis levels
  • It increases the loan maturity of PPP loans taken out after June 5 to 5 years
  • It extends the time borrowers have to pay back unforgiven parts of the loan 41

A third piece of supplementary legislation was passed on July 4, 2020 which extended the deadline for small businesses to apply for the PPP from June 30 2020, to August 8, 2020.. At the time the bill was signed out into law, $130 billion of PPP funding remained unallocated. 42

The Trump administration enacted a number of other measures to provide fiscal stimulus in Spring 2020. On March 13, 2020, Trump announced a state of emergency, which freed up $50 billion in emergency aid for states, cities, and territories. 43

On March 17, 2020, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin extended the deadline f or paying both individual and business taxes to July 15, an effort which he claimed would free up $300 billion in liquidity. 44 On March 20, 2020, Mnuchin also extended the date to file taxes to July 15. 45

The Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos, suspended student loan payments and interest accrual for federally-held student debt, also on March 20. 46 This suspension of payments and interest was extended through Sept. 30, 2020 as part of the CARES Act. 47

On April 19, 2020, the Trump administration said businesses can delay payment of tariffs for 90 days if they have suspended operations during March and April and if they "demonstrate significant financial hardship.

It is rather easy to see how the language of "shutdown" at the federal level can get discombobulated, at least in the moment, in a comment. These dollar signs are 'dizzying.' 

The federal government acted in ' concert ' with the nation's businesses to keep a recession from continuing and to stave off its falling deeper into itself. Unprecedented financial activities took place during a short span of the first two quarters 2020.

The above actions mostly centered around Trump's  "15 days to slow the Spread" federal guidelines.

Texan1211
3.1.61  Texan1211  replied to  CB @3.1.60    3 weeks ago

evidence of loans and requirements on businesses seem to be proof that was no federal mandated shutdown

CB
3.1.62  CB   replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.59    3 weeks ago

F99CC536-5C59-476E-8944-68E4A4D4B1D6-500x500.jpeg   And, I have my own cow too!

CB
3.1.63  CB   replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.61    3 weeks ago

You're digressing. If that is for mocking purposes, you're wasting your energy. Mocking is irrelevant to me. Facts are all! Now I have produced an abundance of facts for our consumption. Additionally, was that your only take-away from my post? Humph!

Look at me. I'm a hero! Nobody will 'beat' or fire me for telling the truth. I feel "A-MAZ-ING"!

Texan1211
3.1.64  Texan1211  replied to  CB @3.1.63    3 weeks ago

spin away, spin away, keep that wheel aspinning!

CB
3.1.65  CB   replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.64    3 weeks ago

My 'duties and responsibilities' to you and others has been fulfilled. /s  I can resume normal discussion once more unencumbered.  See ya 'round!

Texan1211
3.1.66  Texan1211  replied to  CB @3.1.65    3 weeks ago

work???? 

hoo boy. that's a good one!

Texan1211
3.1.67  Texan1211  replied to  CB @3.1.62    3 weeks ago

[deleted]

Paula Bartholomew
4  Paula Bartholomew    4 weeks ago

This is why I don't tweet, FB, IG, and all of the others.

Adam_Selene
5  Adam_Selene    4 weeks ago

Darn it - you mean all this time it wasn't Trump sending out those loopy tweets but rather some "hackers could be Russia, China, or a "guy sitting on their bed who weighs 400 pounds."  Perhaps I owe the President an apology... nahhhh

dennis smith
5.1  dennis smith  replied to  Adam_Selene @5    3 weeks ago

Those using social media need to understand that nothing is hack free.