╌>

Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity and More Fox News Channel Hosts Named in Sexual Assault and Harassment Suit - TVLine

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  4 years ago  •  75 comments

By:   kimroots (TVLine)

Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity and More Fox News Channel Hosts Named in Sexual Assault and Harassment Suit - TVLine
Fox News Channel and several of its hosts have been named in a suit that alleges that the network did little to address reports of sex trafficking, sexual assault and harassment and retaliation per…

Well, there goes the Fox News prime time lineup...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

• Kimberly Roots July 20, 2020 2:04PM PDT

Fox News Channel and several of its hosts have been named in a suit that alleges that the network did little to address reports of sex trafficking, sexual assault and harassment and retaliation perpetrated by several of its most popular on-air personalities.

In the legal complaint, former Fox News employee Jennifer Eckhart alleges that fired anchor Ed Henry sexually assaulted her on multiple occasions, once while she was restrained in handcuffs, while both worked for the network. Eckhart says that after she tried to distance herself from Henry following the last alleged attack, and after she alerted her superiors to the "toxic" work environment she was experiencing, she was fired in June 2020.

Fox News fired Henry in early July, citing "willful sexual misconduct" that the network had learned about when Eckhart's attorneys contacted them. Henry first joined Fox News as its Chief White House Correspondent in 2011. He served as an occasional guest co-host on Fox & Friends Weekend from 2017 to 2019, before he was named co-host of America's Newsroom, which he anchored with Sandra Smith.

Eckhart's suit alleges that Fox News appeared to have acted swiftly after learning about Henry's alleged behavior, but "Nothing could be further from the truth," the legal complaint states. "Indeed, in Fox News' public announcement, it grossly mischaracterized Mr. Henry's behavior by whitewashing it as merely 'sexual misconduct' rather than violent sexual assault."

Cathy Areu, a frequent Fox News guest who had hoped for a more permanent position at the network, is Eckhart's co-plaintiff on the suit. Areu alleges that Henry and fellow Fox News hosts Tucker Carlson and Howard Kurtz retaliated against her when she turned down their propositions for sex. She also claims that Sean Hannity made her feel uncomfortable when he waved a $100 bill on set and demanded that someone in the studio agree to take her to dinner. She also alleges that contributor Gianno Caldwell refused to help her with her career after she turned down a date with him.

In a statement to the Washington Post Monday, Fox News Channel stated that it investigated Eckhart's and Areu's claims and found them "false, patently frivolous and utterly devoid of all merit." Read the statement in full below:

Based on the findings of a comprehensive independent investigation conducted by an outside law firm, including interviews with numerous eyewitnesses, we have determined that all of Cathy Areu's claims against Fox News, including its management as well as its hosts Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity and Howard Kurtz and its contributor Gianno Caldwell, are false, patently frivolous and utterly devoid of any merit. We take call claims of harassment, misconduct and retaliation seriously, promptly investigating them and taking immediate action as needed — in this case the appropriate action based on our investigation is to defend vigorously against these baseless allegations. Ms. Areu and Jennifer Eckhart can pursue their claims against Ed Henry directly with him, as Fox News already took swift action as soon as it learned of Ms. Eckhart's claims on June 25 and Mr. Henry is no longer employed by the network.

In addition, Henry's lawyer, Catherine M. Foti, issued a separate statement on behalf of her client:

The Me Too movement has helped to bring to light a number of injustices in our society, and everyone that has suffered deserves to be heard. This is not one of those cases. The evidence in this case will demonstrate that Ms. Eckhart initiated and completely encouraged a consensual relationship. Ed Henry looks forward to presenting actual facts and evidence, which will contradict the fictional accounts contained in the complaint. That evidence includes graphic photos and other aggressively sexual communications that Ms. Eckhart sent to Mr. Henry.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    4 years ago

And, this is straight from Fox News! Oh My GOD!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @1    4 years ago

You mean this part:

Based on the findings of a comprehensive independent investigation conducted by an outside law firm, including interviews with numerous eyewitnesses, we have determined that all of Cathy Areu’s claims against Fox News, including its management as well as its hosts Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity and Howard Kurtz and its contributor Gianno Caldwell, are false, patently frivolous and utterly devoid of any merit. We take call claims of harassment, misconduct and retaliation seriously, promptly investigating them and taking immediate action as needed — in this case the appropriate action based on our investigation is to defend vigorously against these baseless allegations. Ms. Areu and Jennifer Eckhart can pursue their claims against Ed Henry directly with him, as Fox News already took swift action as soon as it learned of Ms. Eckhart’s claims on June 25 and Mr. Henry is no longer employed by the network.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Gsquared  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1    4 years ago

A press release is not proof of anything.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.4  seeder  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1    4 years ago

That is what Roger Ailes and Bill O'Reilly said!

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.5  seeder  JBB  replied to    4 years ago

Then why is Fox News reporting this story?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Tessylo  replied to    4 years ago

Fox 'news' and integrity - that does not compute. . . . 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Gsquared  replied to    4 years ago

Wrong.  In a trial, the testimony of a witness (i.e., her story) is evidence or "proof".  Then it is up the the finder of fact, the judge or jury, depending on whether is it a jury trial or what is referred to as a Court trial (no jury), to decide. Her story could be believed or not believed, but it would be evidence at trial, and her attorney would be permitted to argue to the finder of fact that it is "proof".  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @1.1.8    4 years ago

he said, she said.

probably some hack whose career didn't pan out like she wanted

meh.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.12  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.9    4 years ago

he said, she said.

Most trials are based on evidence from conflicting witnesses.   

probably some hack whose career didn't pan out like she wanted

You just disqualified yourself from serving on the jury.

meh

You don't like our system of justice?  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.13  Texan1211  replied to    4 years ago

there is virtually nothing bad about fox news or conservatives that some liberals won't fall for!

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.14  Gsquared  replied to    4 years ago

Yes, the same for the defendant and any other witnesses.

You're wrong about Ms. Ford.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.15  seeder  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.13    4 years ago

You mean like conservative Catholic icon Sean Hannity leaving his wife and kids to run off  with a Fox News bimbo? Like that?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.16  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @1.1.12    4 years ago

I dont like when people go outside the justice system to force corporations to pay them a bonanza.

gee, wonder why the woman who claimed a violent sexual assault, er multiple violent sexual assaults (one allegedly while handcuffed) never filed a police report about it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @1.1.15    4 years ago

wtf are you babbling on about now?is it in any way related to the article?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @1.1.14    4 years ago

no one confirmed ford's tales

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.19  seeder  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.17    4 years ago

Sean Hannity has left his wife and kids for some bimbo at Fox News!

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.20  Gsquared  replied to    4 years ago

Many if not most civil trials involve someone seeking monetary damages.  Usually they make a claim of some type to try to achieve a settlement before filing a lawsuit.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.21  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.16    4 years ago

Do you think people should file lawsuits without giving the other side an opportunity to settle first?

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.22  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.18    4 years ago

Yes there was confirmation. 

"Koegler said he and at least seven others who had known about the alleged sexual assault that occurred when Ford and Kavanaugh were in high school were not interviewed by the FBI as part of its investigation."

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.23  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @1.1.19    4 years ago

did you even read your very own source?

or do you just like to get stuff wrong on purpose, thinking no one will challenge a lie?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.24  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @1.1.19    4 years ago

Remember when it came out that Hannity was one of Michael Cohen's clients?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.25  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @1.1.22    4 years ago

nope.

hearing something doesn't prove jack.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.26  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @1.1.21    4 years ago

did you read that somewhere, posted by me?

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.27  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.25    4 years ago

You said no on confirmed Ms. Ford's story.  You are wrong.

I don't know what law school you graduated from, but you need a refresher course in evidence.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.28  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.26    4 years ago

I dont like when people go outside the justice system to force corporations to pay them a bonanza.

That was the inference I derived from your statement.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.29  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @1.1.27    4 years ago

ok. if you choose to believe that someone hearing of something decades later is proof of that thing happening, well, good luck with that shit, counselor!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.30  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @1.1.28    4 years ago

oh well, I am not responsible for the way your brain functions

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.31  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.29    4 years ago

Evidence is evidence, pardner.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.32  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @1.1.19    4 years ago

your comment is an outright, outrageous lie 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.33  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @1.1.31    4 years ago

nope, not evidence of shit other than Ford told him decades later that kavanaugh assaulted her.

still not one credible shred of evidence that she was ever assaulted by kavanaugh.

wonder why she had never filed a suit against him with all that evidence you claim?

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.34  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.30    4 years ago

I am not responsible for the way your brain functions

Thank God for that! 

I asked a question relative to your comment.  

What inference should be drawn from that statement?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.35  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @1.1.34    4 years ago

if a person is violently sexually assaulted, twice, once in handcuffs, I want them to press charges against their attacker and let the justice system do its job , not shake down a corporation for money

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.36  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @1.1.31    4 years ago

so if I told you that I was mugged 20 years ago, then you have evidence?lmfao!!!

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.37  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.33    4 years ago

That's evidence.  She told him before Kavanaugh's appointment by Trump.  Thus, she provided her friend the information with no intent to derail Kavanaugh's Supreme Court appointment, right?

"[A]ll that evidence" is your hyperbole, not a claim made by me.  You stated that there was no confirmation.  I showed that there was.

There are a lot of reasons why people with legitimate claims do not file lawsuits.   

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.38  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.36    4 years ago

so if I told you that I was mugged 20 years ago, then you have evidence

In a word, yes.

Seriously, you need a refresher course in evidence.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.39  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.35    4 years ago

Okay.

Do you dispute that the victim may also have a legitimate and appropriate claim for monetary damages?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.40  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @1.1.38    4 years ago

that is flat out crazy and any  with a law degree would tear your "evidence" to shreds in a heartbeat.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.41  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.36    4 years ago

I hear the dinner bell.  Later, pardner.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.42  Tessylo  replied to  Gsquared @1.1.41    4 years ago

Boy Howdy!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.43  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gsquared @1.1.37    4 years ago
she provided her friend the information with no intent to derail Kavanaugh's Supreme Court appointment, right?

She first supposedly  told the story after Kavanaugh was publicly  identified in outlets like the New Yorker as the likely first nominee of Romney if he should be elected. 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.44  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.40    4 years ago

Anyone with a law degree would tell you that it is evidence.  Whether it is sufficient to prove a claim or convince a finder of fact is a different issue.  

I'm not looking for food for thought now.  I need the real thing...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.45  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @1.1.39    4 years ago

she may have a claim against fox, she may not, they fired him, so based on strictly that, I would say no.

if she previously reported it. she may have a case against fox.

she loses credibility with me when she claims multiple assaults, one while handcuffed, and yet never filed a police report

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.46  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @1.1.4    4 years ago

They were outed by Fox News. Fox investigated then and investigated this time. This time it's a false charge. Most likely part of the effort to silence Tucker Carlson.

Fear not lefties - This week the New York Times is going to release Carlson's address this week, most likely in the hopes that he and or his family will be harmed.

I only hope that those on the left get what they have dealt out to so many others!

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.47  seeder  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.46    4 years ago

You are all wrong, again. Hannity is TOAST...

He'll probably get hired as propaganda chief!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.48  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @1.1.47    4 years ago
You are all wrong, again. Hannity is TOAST...

Any time you want to wager on that, I'm right here. You better check with Iggy first. He'll tell you - I don't lose many bets.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.49  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @1.1.44    4 years ago

stupid evidence .hearsay.

you didn't see me get mugged, didn't see who did it, so all you could testify to is that I told you I got mugged 20 years ago.

nonsense.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.50  Krishna  replied to  JBB @1.1.5    4 years ago
Then why is Fox News reporting this story?

I have noticed over the years that Fox frequently posts stories that sound plausible but later turn out to be false-- so don't believe everything you see on Fox! :-(

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.51  Vic Eldred  replied to  Krishna @1.1.50    4 years ago

Did you catch the rest of the media lying about Trump/Russia fir 3 years?  I guess you missed all that!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.52  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.49    4 years ago
.hearsay.

Correct, but you see, that is what the left does - They can vent their emotions, question other people's motives, make bold assertions, repeat slogans—anything except reason.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.53  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.45    4 years ago

Fair enough, pardner.  I would say that's a pretty good response.  Beyond that, since I have never handled an employment claim, it's not my area if practice, I can't and won't get down in the weeds of what may or may not constitute a valid employment claim.

With regard to your argument as to her credibility, on its face and without further evidence, you have a perfectly valid position.  I could see a jury potentially agreeing with you.

There, I just agreed with you again.  We have been in agreement maybe a couple of times or so before, as you may recall.  I hate it when that happens...

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.54  Gsquared  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.46    4 years ago

Lefties?  Really?

Ok, then.  Tit for tat.  Fear not reactionaries.  No one wants to harm a hair on the reactionary golden boy.

I only hope that those on the left get what they have dealt out to so many others!

Are you wishing harm on people?  It sure sounds like it in the context of your comment that the New York Times most likely hopes that Tucker Carlson and or his family will be harmed. Isn't that a serious Code of Conduct violation?  Shouldn't you be apologizing?  Also, isn't that potentially libelling the New York Times?  Shouldn't you retract and apologize for that, too?

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
1.1.55  MonsterMash  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.35    4 years ago
if a person is violently sexually assaulted, twice, once in handcuffs

Hmm, wonder why she let the handcuffs be put on her. Seems like it was all fun and games until she wanted some money.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.56  Texan1211  replied to  MonsterMash @1.1.55    4 years ago

I think she is a gold digger, upset at the trajectory her career path took.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.57  Gsquared  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.52    4 years ago

Wow.  Do you even read the stuff you write on here?  That comment is totally hypocritical.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.58  Gsquared  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.46    4 years ago

Not "bullying" you...  Asking honest questIons of you.  Not that I expect a response.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.59  Vic Eldred  replied to  Gsquared @1.1.54    4 years ago
It sure sounds like it in the context of your comment that the New York Times most likely hopes that Tucker Carlson and or his family will be harmed.

You be the judge:

Isn't that a serious Code of Conduct violation?  

Nope

Shouldn't you be apologizing?  

Absolutely not

Also, isn't that potentially libelling the New York Times?  Shouldn't you retract and apologize for that, too?

No, no & no.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     4 years ago

Didn't they fire Henry for sexual misconduct? Seems that a pretty good indicator that he did something wrong.

Baseless claims, isn't that what Roger Ailes and Bill O'Reilly said?

And of course, there is Gretchen Carlson. 

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Kavika @2    4 years ago

Sounds like Fox is a hostile work environment!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @2.1    4 years ago

so sue them!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Tessylo  replied to    4 years ago

This is a deflection

Who is Les Moonvise?

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  JBB  replied to    4 years ago

Yeah, those pigs got shitcanned. Your point?

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.6  seeder  JBB  replied to    4 years ago

Correction - The same thing is happening at Fox right now to Ed Henry, Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson. That's why this is "News".

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3  pat wilson    4 years ago

Fox "News" is clearly a pig sty.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  pat wilson @3    4 years ago

That's the way Roger Ailes wanted it. Nasty Pig Man!

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.2  Krishna  replied to  pat wilson @3    4 years ago
Fox "News" is clearly a pig sty.

Its also an oxymoron!

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
4  Account Deleted    4 years ago

Fortunately for them, if dismissed soon, they will find a soft landing  as Republican candidates or as Federal Judges or even the Supreme Court.

(No really - look up the requirements.)