╌>

Report: Trump 'annoyed' by Fauci, 'surprised' Yankees with first-pitch announcement

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  4 years ago  •  2 comments

By:   Jason Owens, Yahoo Sports

Report: Trump 'annoyed' by Fauci, 'surprised' Yankees with first-pitch announcement

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Yahoo Sports

c1fb3170-d3ac-11e7-ac40-4961d526c3e1_Owens.jpg

yahoo_SPORTS_Light.png July 27, 2020, 10:52 PM

As Dr. Anthony Fauci prepared to throw out the first pitch of MLB’s season, President Donald Trump broke some baseball news of his own.

Trump announced in the middle of a COVID-19 press briefing   last Thursday that he had been invited to throw out the first pitch at a New York Yankees game. He would do so on Aug. 15, a date that saw the rival Boston Red Sox visiting Yankees Stadium.

It turns out that announcement was news to the Yankees, according to a New York Times report published Monday.

Report: Trump’s announcement ‘surprised’ Yankees

From   Monday’s Times report :

“There was one problem: Mr. Trump had not actually been invited on that day by the Yankees, according to one person with knowledge of Mr. Trump’s schedule. His announcement surprised both Yankees officials and the White House staff.”

But Trump had told reporters that he got the invitation directly from Yankees president Randy Levine,   a longtime Trump supporter   who was once   rumored to be a candidate   to serve as his chief of staff.

“Randy Levine, he’s a great friend of mine from the Yankees,” Trump said on Thursday, taking a break from discussing our national and global health crisis. “He asked me to throw out the first pitch. And I think I’m doing that on Aug. 15 at Yankees Stadium.”

Levine’s Yankees did not dispute Trump. A   Yankees spokesperson said the first pitch was on , according to NJ.com.

a7217fb0-cf82-11ea-bfdf-1d5675010b7d

Donald Trump reportedly took some liberties with his announcement to throw out a pitch at a Yankees-Red Sox game. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

Trump ‘annoyed’ by Fauci pitch plans

About 90 minutes later,   Fauci tossed out the ill-fated first pitch   that landed short and left of home plate to open the MLB season. Fauci — not Trump — had been invited to throw the pitch that also served as a celebration of the Washington Nationals as they opened their World Series title defense in the nation’s capital.

Some viewed the invitation as a slight to Trump, whose White House had   criticized and attempted to discredit Fauci   and his divergent approach to managing the COVID-19 pandemic. Fauci urged caution while   the White House urged businesses to reopen   as   the United States became the epicenter of the global crisis .

According to the Times, Trump was indeed agitated. And he wanted a first pitch of his own after   eschewing the presidential tradition   during his entire time in office.

From the Times report:

“But Mr. Trump had been so annoyed by Dr. Fauci’s turn in the limelight, an official familiar with his reaction said, that he had directed his aides to call Yankees officials and make good on a longtime standing offer from Mr. Levine to throw out an opening pitch. No date was ever finalized.”

Alas, the Yankees were not forced to scramble to accommodate the president. On Sunday, Trump announced that he in fact   would not throw out the first pitch on Aug. 15   while vowing to “make it later in the season!”

Here’s guessing the Yankees aren’t holding their collective breath.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

Trump announced in the middle of a COVID-19 press briefing       last Thursday that he had been invited to throw out the first pitch at a New York Yankees game. He would do so on Aug. 15, a date that saw the rival Boston Red Sox visiting Yankees Stadium.

It turns out that announcement was news to the Yankees, according to a New York Times report published Monday.

Report: Trump’s Announcement ‘Surprised’ Yankees

From      Monday’s Times report   :

“There was one problem: Mr. Trump had not actually been invited on that day by the Yankees, according to one person with knowledge of Mr. Trump’s schedule. His announcement surprised both Yankees officials and the White House staff.”

But Trump had told reporters that he got the invitation directly from Yankees president Randy Levine,      a longtime Trump supporter       who was once      rumored to be a candidate       to serve as his chief of staff.

“Randy Levine, he’s a great friend of mine from the Yankees,” Trump said on Thursday, taking a break from discussing our national and global health crisis. “He asked me to throw out the first pitch. And I think I’m doing that on Aug. 15 at Yankees Stadium.”

Levine’s Yankees did not dispute Trump. A      Yankees spokesperson said the first pitch was on   , according to NJ.com.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

tRump is such a lying sack of shit.  I can't believe anyone believes one word that comes out of his big fat mouth.