Via:  tessylo  •  4 years ago  •  12 comments

By:   Sebastian Smith, AFP

Trump ditches 'new tone' for old, false coronavirus theories

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

AFP
Trump ditches 'new tone' for old, false coronavirus theories

Sebastian Smith

afp_Light.png July 28, 2020, 12:34 PM

US President Donald Trump is back to promoting conspiracy theories about the coronavirus crisis

US President Donald Trump is back to promoting conspiracy theories about the coronavirus crisis (AFP Photo/JIM WATSON)

Washington (AFP) - Only days after proclaiming a sober new tone on the coronavirus pandemic, President Donald Trump reverted to spreading misleading medical information, criticizing his top expert and promoting conspiracy theories.

Twitter took the rare step of removing clips tweeted by Trump from a video earlier deleted by Facebook in which a group of doctors tells Americans that masks are unnecessary and that hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malarial drug, can cure the COVID-19 virus.

Twitter said Tuesday that tweeting the video was "in violation of our COVID-19 misinformation policy."

Twitter also blocked Trump's son Don Jr -- a major player in the president's struggling reelection campaign -- from tweeting for 12 hours after he uploaded a version of the video.

At the center of the group speaking on the video is a doctor named Stella Immanuel, who doubles as a right-wing preacher who believes in witches.

The physician, who calls herself "God's battle axe," claims in the video that "the virus has a cure" in hydroxychloroquine.

This is false. There is currently no cure for the coronavirus, which has spread around the world and already killed nearly 150,000 Americans, wreaking havoc in the world's largest economy.

A majority of medical authorities now have also decided, after some initial debate, that hydroxychloroquine in particular has no proven benefit for coronavirus patients and can be harmful. The US Food and Drug Administration revoked emergency authorization for its use in June.

Trump, however, has persistently pushed the notion of hydroxychloroquine as an answer to the crisis and says he took the drug for two weeks as a precaution.

- Anti-Fauci rants -

In his Twitter spree late Monday, the president also retweeted a growing right-wing conspiracy theory that the nation's top expert on infectious diseases, Doctor Anthony Fauci, helped push coronavirus to hurt Trump's reelection in November.

The tweet, shared by Trump to his 84 million followers, claimed that Immanuel is highlighting "what should be the biggest scandal in modern American history."

This was "the suppression of #Hydroxychloroquine by Fauci & the Democrats to perpetuate Covid deaths to hurt Trump," the tweet reads.

Trump also attacked Fauci by retweeting a comment on a podcast hosted by his former advisor Steve Bannon that Fauci "misled the American public on many issues."

Fauci responded early Tuesday on ABC News saying he ignores Twitter. "I don’t tweet, I don’t even read them," he said.

"I have not been misleading the American public under any circumstances," said Fauci, whose decades of experience include pioneering the fight against AIDS from the 1980s onward.

"We’re in the middle of a crisis with regard to a pandemic," he said. "This is what I’ve been trained for my entire professional life."

- New tone? -

Trump's Twitter activity was made more remarkable by the fact that just a week ago he embarked on a distinctly more serious tone when discussing the out-of-control health crisis.

Earlier Monday, he'd made a trip to North Carolina for a visit to a laboratory taking part in the race for a coronavirus vaccine.

Trump used the photo-op, where he was shown inspecting high-tech lab equipment at Fujifilm Diosynth Biotechnologies in Morrisville, to underline his support for the scientific response to the pandemic.

"We will achieve a victory over the virus by unleashing American scientific genius," he told reporters.

The facility has been awarded a contract to mass produce an experimental vaccine developed by Novavax, as part of a multi-billion dollar government initiative dubbed Operation Warp Speed.

However, Trump has repeatedly wavered between between trust in the country's scientists and sympathy for claims on the right that the dangers of the illness have been exaggerated to weaken his presidency.

The United States is by far the worst-hit country in the world, with more than 4.2 million confirmed COVID-19 cases.

Trump's support in pre-election polls has plummeted, with a large majority of voter saying they distrust the president on his handling of the coronavirus crisis.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

Wow!  That 'tone' lasted what, 24 hours?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

Washington (AFP) - Only days after proclaiming a sober new tone on the coronavirus pandemic, President Donald Trump reverted to spreading misleading medical information, criticizing his top expert and promoting conspiracy theories.

Twitter took the rare step of removing clips tweeted by Trump from a video earlier deleted by Facebook in which a group of doctors tells Americans that masks are unnecessary and that hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malarial drug, can cure the COVID-19 virus.

Twitter said Tuesday that tweeting the video was "in violation of our COVID-19 misinformation policy."

Twitter also blocked Trump's son Don Jr -- a major player in the president's struggling reelection campaign -- from tweeting for 12 hours after he uploaded a version of the video.

At the center of the group speaking on the video is a doctor named Stella Immanuel, who doubles as a right-wing preacher who believes in witches.

The physician, who calls herself "God's battle axe," claims in the video that "the virus has a cure" in hydroxychloroquine.

This is false. There is currently no cure for the coronavirus, which has spread around the world and already killed nearly 150,000 Americans, wreaking havoc in the world's largest economy.

A majority of medical authorities now have also decided, after some initial debate, that hydroxychloroquine in particular has no proven benefit for coronavirus patients and can be harmful. The US Food and Drug Administration revoked emergency authorization for its use in June.

Trump, however, has persistently pushed the notion of hydroxychloroquine as an answer to the crisis and says he took the drug for two weeks as a precaution.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

- Anti-Fauci rants -

In his Twitter spree late Monday, the president also retweeted a growing right-wing conspiracy theory that the nation's top expert on infectious diseases, Doctor Anthony Fauci, helped push coronavirus to hurt Trump's reelection in November.

The tweet, shared by Trump to his 84 million followers, claimed that Immanuel is highlighting "what should be the biggest scandal in modern American history."

This was "the suppression of   #Hydroxychloroquine   by Fauci & the Democrats to perpetuate Covid deaths to hurt Trump," the tweet reads.

Trump also attacked Fauci by retweeting a comment on a podcast hosted by his former advisor Steve Bannon that Fauci "misled the American public on many issues."

Fauci responded early Tuesday on ABC News saying he ignores Twitter. "I don’t tweet, I don’t even read them," he said.

"I have not been misleading the American public under any circumstances," said Fauci, whose decades of experience include pioneering the fight against AIDS from the 1980s onward.

"We’re in the middle of a crisis with regard to a pandemic," he said. "This is what I’ve been trained for my entire professional life."

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

I'm trying to find this quack Immanuels' credentials and I'm having trouble.  

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2KIbMuaoiBfYKsACQFXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--/RV=2/RE=1596003098/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fmeaww.com%2famericas-frontline-doctors-hydroxychloroquine-cure-covid-19-stella-immanuel-trump-who-are-they/RK=2/RS=Q7bm8kUtClzx.GpD07zACW.13mo-

Who is Stella Immanuel and America's Frontline Doctors who claim hydroxychloroquine is a 'cure' for Covid-19?

The group of doctors created quite a furor during a press conference by stating controversial facts about coronavirus and the 'cure' for it

By Anuka Roy
Updated On : 22:48 PST, Jul 27, 2020
Dr Stella Immanuel (PragerU/Twitter)
From the steps of the US Supreme Court, a group of doctors calling themselves ‘America’s Frontline Doctors’, held a press conference on July 27. In the almost 45-minute video, physicians from around the country addressed the public about Covid-19 and a “massive disinformation campaign” which according to them, is keeping businesses closed and schools planning to remain closed this coming September. Among other things, the event termed the “first White Coat Summit,” has listed that it will address topics such as 'medical cancel culture,' 'lockdowns,' 'HCQ,' and 'Follow the Money'.

However, what stood out the most was their advocacy for the hydroxychloroquine. Some of the doctors addressing the public have stated that unnecessary deaths have occurred during the Covid-19 pandemic. Dr Stella Immanuel, a primary care physician from Houston, declared there is a “cure” for Covid-19, while another said that hydroxychloroquine’s use is “being blocked because of politics” and recommended that it be made available “over-the-counter.” Although these are claims being made on the Internet, WHO claims that there is no effect of it on Covid-19 patients.

US had halted a clinical trial   that was evaluating the safety and effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine for the treatment of adults hospitalized with Covid-19. While it determined that while there was no harm, the study drug was very unlikely to be beneficial to hospitalized patients with the new coronavirus. Hydroxychloroquine is used to treat malaria and rheumatoid conditions such as arthritis. The drug has often been touted by US President Donald Trump as a potential therapy against coronavirus. 

The   video   which was published on Breitbart News’ Twitter page has been pulled down by the platform stating, “This tweet is no longer available”.  The summit is scheduled to be a two-day event (July 27-28). And as   reported   earlier, on July 27, Immanuel, in the video from the press conference, can be seen saying, "I personally treated over 350 patients with Covid-19. Patients who have diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma, old people — my oldest patient is 92. I have put them on hydroxychloroquine, zinc and zithromax, and they are all well." She added, "I have not lost one patient. Fake studies and fake pharma companies say it doesn’t work. Nobody needs to die from this virus. It has a cure and it called hydroxychloroquine. You don’t need mask and you don’t need people to be locked down." Immanuel's Twitter bio reads: 'Physician, Author, Speaker, Entrepreneur, Deliverance Minister, God's battle axe and weapon of war. Rehoboth Medical Center, Houston, TX. Fire Power Ministries.'

According to Rev.com, speakers at the press conference included Pediatrician Bob Hamilton, Dr James Todaro, Dr Joe Ladapo and Dr Dan Erickson. Dr Simone Gold was also present. Dr Erickson, owner of Accelerated Urgent Care, in his speech reminded the public that “99.8 percent of people get through this with little to no progressive or significant disease.” 

“This is the first time I’ve seen quarantining healthy,” he continued. “I don’t know if you guys think that’s normal. I find that very strange.” While he said it was good that the US prepared for the worse, Erickson said we must be “realistic with the response.” The doctor says most of the patients that were showing up for him had 'very mild illness' and  added that he wanted to come out and “give reality to the situation on the ground and sort of help dispel some fear that people have had.”

On their official   website , a detailed two-day schedule has been given. When you click on the speakers' tab, the list shows the names of Dr Scott Barbour, Dr Jeffrey Barke, Dr Teryn Clarke, Dr Simone Gold, Dr Robert Hamilton, Dr Kristin Held, Dr Joseph A. Ladapo, Dr Mark McDonald, Dr James Todaro and Dr Richard Urso. The leadership tab lists Simone Gold, MD, JD, Founder, Teryn Clark, MD, Communications Director, Richard Urso, MD, Science Liason, James M. Todaro, MD, Science Liason, Jeff Barke, MD, Schools Liason, Robert Hamilton, MD, Schools Liason, Scott A. Barbour, MD, Business Liason, Kristin S. Held, MD, Physician Liason, Joseph A. Ladapo, MD, PhD Policy Liason, Mark McDonald, MD, Mental Health Liason, Susanna Dokupil, Steve Mitby, Of Counsel seilermitby.com and Fleccas, Social Media Coordinator. Some of the other speakers at the   summit   include Dr Mobeen Syed, CL Gray, MD, Dr Lionel H Lee, DO, and Dr Geoff Mitchell.

A Twitter user  posted  a screenshot alleging this “"Doctors group" created by Breitbart 12 days ago.” There were angry reactions to this press conference on social media. A user said, “This group of white coats (endorsed by Breitbart) are about two days away from lining their homes with tin foil and screaming for the rest of us peons to look skyward and get beamed up. Graduates of Trump U or just hopped up Republicans?”.  Another said, “What exactly are the credentials for these doctors? Are they medical doctors, and if so, are they actually employed?”.Some skeptics even did some research and said: "#Hydroxychloroquine The America's Frontline Doctors website has no group info, offers no POV and was registered only 12 days ago. Nice try."

"Not sure if anyone watched the America’s Frontline Doctors - but here is one of the docs that touted hydroxychloroquine, Yeah...I think I’ll stick with Fauci," wrote another.

Meanwhile, Facebook, Google, Twitter and YouTube are censoring and removing videos of the Covid-19 press conference led by doctors on Capitol Hill.
MEA WorldWide (MEAWW) does not support and cannot independently verify these claims being made on the Internet.

Disclaimer : This is based on sources and we have been unable to verify this information independently.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5  Greg Jones    4 years ago

Meanwhile, Facebook, Google, Twitter and YouTube are censoring and removing videos of the Covid-19 press conference led by doctors on Capitol Hill.
MEA WorldWide (MEAWW) does not support and cannot independently verify these claims being made on the Internet.

Disclaimer : This is based on sources and we have been unable to verify this information independently

Ah, censorship rearing it's ugly head yet again. The left is desperate that the truth doesn't come out

One fact remains clear. Many doctors are treating covid patients with hydroxychloroquine with positive results. Look it up.

I'll believe the medical experts and scientific results instead of the uninformed opinions of Trump detractors.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @5    4 years ago

No need to quote what's in the article.  I didn't leave anything out did I?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @5    4 years ago

Provide the source of 'many doctors are treating covid patients . . . ."I won't  hold my breath though.   

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @5    4 years ago
"Meanwhile, Facebook, Google, Twitter and YouTube are censoring and removing videos of the Covid-19 press conference led by doctors on Capitol Hill".

A Twitter user  posted  a screenshot alleging this “"Doctors group" created by Breitbart 12 days ago.” There were angry reactions to this press conference on social media. A user said, “This group of white coats (endorsed by Breitbart) are about two days away from lining their homes with tin foil and screaming for the rest of us peons to look skyward and get beamed up. Graduates of Trump U or just hopped up Republicans?”.  Another said, “What exactly are the credentials for these doctors? Are they medical doctors, and if so, are they actually employed?”.Some skeptics even did some research and said: "#Hydroxychloroquine The America's Frontline Doctors website has no group info, offers no POV and was registered only 12 days ago. Nice try."

"Not sure if anyone watched the America’s Frontline Doctors - but here is one of the docs that touted hydroxychloroquine, Yeah...I think I’ll stick with Fauci," wrote another.

Where are their credentials that makes them experts on the subject?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Greg Jones @5    4 years ago
I'll believe the medical experts and scientific results instead of the uninformed opinions of Trump detractors.

This medical expert?

But Immanuel, who is a licensed physician in Texas,   according to the Texas Medical Board,   has previously claimed   on YouTube   and in   articles on her website   that gynecological problems, such as endometriosis, cysts and infertility, are caused by individuals having sex with demons and witches in their dreams. 

Immanuel's claims were first reported by  The Daily Beast

Immanuel has said in sermons on YouTube that widespread gynecological issues are caused by sexual contact with “spirit husbands” and “spirit wives.”

Immanuel said in a 2015 sermon   that alien DNA is used in medical treatments . In another 2015 sermon, she   claimed that researchers are currently working on a vaccine   to prevent individuals from being religious.  

In the same 2015 sermon in which she referenced alien DNA, she said the government is   run by “reptilians,” not humans .

She has also said that  popular children’s television shows and toys   are being used to expose children to witches and spirits. She specifically cited the Harry Potter series, Pokémon, the shows “Wizards of Waverly Place” and “Hannah Montana,” and more. She also said that Magic 8 Ball toys introduce children to witches. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.4.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.4    4 years ago

I cannot believe that this crazy biatch has a medical degree.  Can you be drummed out of Medicine for being a cuckoo?  Lose your license to practice medicine?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.4.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Tessylo @5.4.1    4 years ago
Can you be drummed out of Medicine for being a cuckoo?  Lose your license to practice medicine?

I imagine it would vary by state, and that steps to suspend or revoke her license could not be taken unless it were demonstrated that she is a danger to her patients.

That being said, I also imagine that skimming through her chart notes may well turn up evidence of such risk.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @5    4 years ago

What censorship?

What 'truth'?