Trump complains that Americans like Fauci more than him

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Yahoo News

Trump complains that Americans like Fauci more than him

57b2dfa0-e9ab-11e8-bd7b-0e73b8860b52

Alexander Nazaryan National Correspondent

yahoo_NEWS_Light.png July 28, 2020, 7:22 PM

Trump says he and Fauci are 'all in the same team'

DONALD TRUMP: Well, he made a statement representing himself. 

WASHINGTON — President Trump used a White House press briefing on Tuesday to wonder aloud why he was less liked than Dr. Anthony Fauci, a prominent member of the White House coronavirus task force.

“Nobody likes me,” the president said in a rare moment of self-reflection. “It can only be my personality, that’s all.” His lament came on the same day that the nation surpassed the grim benchmark of 150,000 deaths as a result of the pandemic.

“Remember, he’s working for this administration,” Trump said of Fauci, who is not a political appointee. “He’s working with us. We could’ve gotten other people. We could’ve gotten somebody else. It didn’t have to be Dr. Fauci.”

Trump has long been   at odds with Fauci , who is the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health. A veteran of the battle to find a cure for HIV an AIDS, Fauci is now   serving his sixth president . And though he is adept at protecting his domain, he has lately been forced to navigate a political climate in which science and expertise have been treated with profound suspicion.

d736e551-d11c-11ea-affe-18909af41cda

President Trump at a news conference on Tuesday. (Evan Vucci/AP)

“He's got this high approval rating,” Trump said of Fauci on Tuesday. “So why don’t I have a high approval rating and the administration with respect to the virus?”

Trump’s approval rating has suffered from what critics have described as an erratic and inattentive handling of the pandemic. That approval rating now stands at   about 40 percent , a dangerously low number for a president seeking reelection.

Fauci, by contrast, is not an elected official, but his frank assessments of the pandemic, delivered in a strong Brooklyn accent, have earned him public affection, as well as a “Saturday Night Live” parody courtesy of Brad Pitt (an imitation that   earned an Emmy nomination   on Tuesday).

A   poll in April   found that 76 percent of Americans trusted the information they got from Fauci. He has repeatedly advocated for Americans to practice social distancing measures, wear face masks and take the coronavirus as a serious threat.

Trump has also recently endorsed such measures, but only reluctantly. Still, he apparently sees no difference between his positions and those of Fauci, describing it as “curious” during Tuesday’s briefing that Americans preferred the avuncular immunologist and Dr. Deborah Birx, another task force member, to the commander in chief himself.

Trump could simply remove Fauci from the White House task force, but he has so far declined to do so, choosing instead to undermine him through a series of public spats on everything from the resumption of professional sports to the use of the controversial drug hydroxychloroquine, a malaria medication that some of the president’s supporters maintain could defeat the coronavirus.

On Monday evening, Trump   retweeted   a message to his 80 million followers on Twitter charging that Fauci had “misled the public” about the efficacy of hydroxychloroquine and on other virus-related matters.

d73c6390-d11c-11ea-9fef-cf2f3825c875

Members of a group calling itself America's Frontline Doctors, comprised of pro-Trump ideologues who support the use of hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19. (mpi34/MediaPunch /IPX via AP)

The next morning, Fauci appeared on “Good Morning America,” an appearance during which he   described   hydroxychloroquine as “not effective.”

It was a question on hydroxychloroquine that prompted Trump to discuss Fauci and insist that the two men continued to maintain a “good relationship.”

Tuesday’s turn marks Trump’s continued attempt to show that he is in control as the coronavirus continues to devastate large parts of the nation. But much like the briefings that were a springtime staple, this one turned contentious.

In particular, Trump appeared   bothered by a question   from CNN reporter Kaitlan Collins about a video Trump had shared — and which Twitter subsequently removed — in which a Houston doctor makes false claims about coronavirus cures and maligns the wearing of face masks.

“Mr. President, the woman that you said was a ‘great doctor’ in that video that you retweeted last night said that ‘masks don’t work’ and there is a cure for COVID-19, both of which health experts say is not true,” Collins said when called on by Trump. “She’s also made videos saying that doctors make medicine using DNA from aliens and that they are trying to create a vaccine to make you immune from becoming religious—”

Trump cut her off, saying that he had seen the doctor on television and found her to be “very impressive.”

“I thought her voice was an important voice,” Trump said, “but I know nothing about her.” He then walked out of the briefing room.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

Tuesday’s turn marks Trump’s continued attempt to show that he is in control as the coronavirus continues to devastate large parts of the nation. But much like the briefings that were a springtime staple, this one turned contentious.

In particular, Trump appeared    bothered by a question    from CNN reporter Kaitlan Collins about a video Trump had shared — and which Twitter subsequently removed — in which a Houston doctor makes false claims about coronavirus cures and maligns the wearing of face masks.

“Mr. President, the woman that you said was a ‘great doctor’ in that video that you retweeted last night said that ‘masks don’t work’ and there is a cure for COVID-19, both of which health experts say is not true,” Collins said when called on by Trump. “She’s also made videos saying that doctors make medicine using DNA from aliens and that they are trying to create a vaccine to make you immune from becoming religious—”

Trump cut her off, saying that he had seen the doctor on television and found her to be “very impressive.”

“I thought her voice was an important voice,” Trump said, “but I know nothing about her.” He then walked out of the briefing room."

He knows nothing about this crazy bitch, yet 'her voice was an important voice'

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1  Ender  replied to  Tessylo @1    4 years ago

Isn't this the same woman that thinks there is devil sperm...

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Ender @1.1    4 years ago
Isn't this the same woman that thinks there is devil sperm...

Yes.  I looked her up this morning.  She is straight up jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif .   Interesting that Trump would use her...testimony...especially considering she comes from that 'shit-hole' Nigeria.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.1.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.1    4 years ago

Trump:  "I thought her voice was an important voice....but I no nothing about her."

How about Trump gets his next physical from her.......

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2  Gsquared    4 years ago

“Nobody likes me,” the president said...

The first true statement ever spoken by Donald Trump.

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
2.1  Account Deleted  replied to  Gsquared @2    4 years ago

I guess it's just like the song:

You're  nobody till somebody luuuves you ...

devangelical
Professor Principal
3  devangelical    4 years ago
“So why don’t I have a high approval rating and the administration with respect to the virus?”

derp...

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1  Ender  replied to  devangelical @3    4 years ago

That is awfully kind of you. Must be the soft side of you coming out. jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.1.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Ender @3.1    4 years ago

You have to admire the eloquence of the statement.....

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    4 years ago

You like me ! You really like me !

Oh..wait....

JBB
Professor Principal
5  JBB    4 years ago

Well Yeah! Sane people like dental abscesses more.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     4 years ago

64,000 plus new COVID cases today and 1200 deaths in America.

Florida had 191 deaths yesterday, a record for our state. 

That's the fricken reason nobody likes you

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1  Ender  replied to  Kavika @6    4 years ago

I read an article today that said even people that caught it that had mild symptoms, there is long lasting damage. To the heart for one.

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
7  Account Deleted    4 years ago

You know I was going to say that "Sure - 33 1/3 % of the population likes President Trump". Then I got to thinking - not really.

For Trump - everything is a transaction. It's not  about "liking" someone or being friends it's about their utility.

The people who he thinks "likes him" view him in exactly the same way.

They really think he's a piece of dried dung but as long as he gives them conservative judges who will , they hope, make abortion illegal and get rid of all those immigrants who are costing them those coveted jobs in strawberry picking and chicken plucking - hey - he's their guy.

As soon as it looks like he can no longer do them any good  - they will look for a new glorious leader.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8  JohnRussell    4 years ago

It's not that complicated, people don't like Trump because he is a pathological liar, crook, bigot, moron, and cheat. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9  Trout Giggles    4 years ago
Trump could simply remove Fauci from the White House task force, but he has so far declined to do so, choosing instead to undermine him through a series of public spats on everything from the resumption of professional sports to the use of the controversial drug hydroxychloroquine, a malaria medication that some of the president’s supporters maintain could defeat the coronavirus.

He won't remove Fauci because of those 75% that trust Fauci. Some of those 75% could be trmp voters. If he axes Fauci....his approval rating could dip lower than Nixon's.