╌>

'Umbrella Man' aimed to 'incite violence' during George Floyd protests, police say

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  4 years ago  •  34 comments

By:   Doha Madani, NBC News

'Umbrella Man' aimed to 'incite violence' during George Floyd protests, police say

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Doha Madani

b98a00a0-bb23-11ea-9fd3-d1a6778ce83a July 28, 2020, 11:19 PM

A man who vandalized an auto parts store in Minneapolis during   protests over the death of George Floyd   is believed to have ties to a white supremacy group and was trying to stir tensions, according to a new court filing.

Video circulated on social media in late May showing the "Umbrella Man," dressed in black, smashing windows at an AutoZone store with a sledgehammer.

Police have identified a suspect, according to a search warrant affidavit first reported   by the Star Tribune   and confirmed   by NBC affiliate KARE .

Minn. protest ‘Umbrella Man’ was white supremacist trying to incite riots, police say

NBCU

5f20d4b0e7e2902c277a49d6_o_U_v2.jpg

The suspect is a member of the Hell's Angels biker gang and a member of the Aryan Cowboy Brotherhood, a white supremacist gang, the affidavit said.

The man has not been charged and is not being named by NBC News.

Video from the crime scene May 27 appears to show people nearby trying to discourage the man, according to the affidavit.

An email tip sent in last week alerted authorities about the man's intentions to "sow discord and racial unrest," Minneapolis police Officer Emily Christensen said in the affidavit, which was filed Monday.

"Until the actions of the person your affiant has been calling 'Umbrella man,' the protests had been relatively peaceful," the warrant said. "The actions of this person created an atmosphere of hostility and tension. Your affiant believes that this individual's sole aim was to incite violence."

Police alleged that they later found that the "Umbrella Man" spray-painted the words "free s--- for everyone zone" on the doors of the store before breaking the windows, according to the affidavit.

The AutoZone location was looted and set on fire.

According to   the Anti-Defamation League , the Aryan Cowboy Brotherhood is a known prison gang that operates primarily in Minnesota and Kentucky. It is unclear whether it is connected to the Aryan Brotherhood, a white supremacist prison gang believed to have originated in San Quentin State Prison in California in 1964 to fight a Black prison gang during desegregation of prisons.

A search warrant was granted for cellphone records and cell tower information in the "Umbrella Man" investigation.

Minneapolis police did not respond to emails or phone calls Tuesday seeking comment about the warrant.

In the weeks after Floyd   died in police custody in Minneapolis on May 25 , protesters took to the streets to demonstrate against police violence and reignited conversations about systemic racism around the country.

Some critics of the protests tried to discredit the demonstrations by   citing incidents of looting or vandalism , even though   protests around the world were largely peaceful .

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

Yet once again, the largely peaceful protests(ers) are being blamed for the actions of outside agitators, meant to incite.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @1    4 years ago

Some of us suspected as much, didn't we?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Tessylo @1    4 years ago
being blamed for the actions of outside agitators

Right wing white supremacist agitators who, like nearly all of their fellow right wing extremists supporting Trump, fantasize about starting a race war.

"As protests gripped Oakland on May 29, a white van pulled up outside a federal courthouse. A door slid open, and a man peppered the two security officers outside with bullets, killing one and wounding the other." "federal authorities say the man, identified as Air Force Staff Sgt. Steven Carrillo, 32, was an adherent of the “boogaloo boys,” a growing online extremist movement that has sought to use peaceful protests against police brutality to spread fringe views and ignite a race war."

"The demographics of a largely white, young, and destructive group fit more with a movement known as accelerationists than Black Lives Matter."

"The accelerationists, if you have never heard the term, are an extreme subset of white nationalism whose goal is to bring about chaos and destruction. The basic tenet of accelerationism argues that since Western governments are inherently corrupt, the best (and only) thing supremacists can do is to accelerate the end of society by sowing chaos and aggravating political tensions. “Accelerationist ideas have been cited in mass shooters’ manifestos — explicitly, in the case of the New Zealand killer — and are frequently referenced in white supremacist web forums and chat rooms,” Zack Beauchamp explained."

And it's very telling that those on the right continue to reject the facts about these right wing infiltrators and agitators even while they are vociferously shouting about supposed "leftist violence". Those on the right still in denial over these obvious facts are effectively enabling these right wing extremists and share in their guilt. Their silence is deafening.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
1.3  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Tessylo @1    4 years ago

A few things.

1. I haven't seen anyone complaining about truly peaceful protests or protesters, or that all protests have been violent. Had peaceful protests in my area. Also had some protests that were teetering on violent that got squashed, I think appropriately. I've seen people dismissing the violence by arguing that the protests are largely peaceful though, or otherwise attempting to justify some of the bullshit. 

2. KKK, BLM, men from mars...matters not who is inciting the violence. A simple acknowledgment that several of these 'protests' are beyond peaceful would be a good start. Allowing LEOs to stop the bullshit would be even better. But, we won't get to that point, because either; a) someone will claim the protest isn't violent, b) the violence was incited by "insert person or group you disagree with here" or c) no good cops, no bad protesters...the 3 of which, or any combination thereof, somehow justify turning a blind eye to the violence, burning of buildings, destruction of private property, etc. 

3. Who is responsible for the shit that has been ongoing in Portland? Doesn't matter. I really don't care which group the violence is incited by. I'd like to see it get squashed. If anyone thinks its BLM we get the ol "Sorry Mr. and Mrs. Smith, but the family business has to take one for the team here." I have yet to see the interview of the small business owners, cleaning their place up after it was destroyed the previous night, expressing their content that the protests are really doing the community a service. Now, we are seeing allegations that the protests have been hijacked. No shit. I never once thought the all black clad, white kids, destroying shit, were honestly out there because of George Floyd. Again, KKK, Proud Boys, BLM, Antifa, doesn't matter. Any one of them is/was bound to show up once it was realized that some of these cities were going to allow a free run. 

Whoever is inciting the violence, quit bitching about law enforcement, either state or federal, and allow them to go in and remove the bastards. Or, in the alternative, as I've said many times, completely pull out, and let the apologists watch as the 'largely peaceful protest' destroys the community. I don't see a middle ground, because, whichever group is inciting violence is taking advantage of a lax approach. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.3.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Transyferous Rex @1.3    4 years ago

jrSmiley_28_smiley_image.gif   jrSmiley_12_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2  Texan1211    4 years ago

I wonder, if the crowd was so peaceful, how on earth could they be incited to riot, loot, and burn?

Seems like they must be easily influenced.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ronin2  replied to  Texan1211 @2    4 years ago

What I want to know is if they have identified the man, as they claim, why the hell aren't they charging him?

The man has not been charged and is not being named by NBC News.

At least let the store know so they can sue the individual. 

Unless, they are completely full of shit, and don't have any substantial evidence to prosecute. Considering a "good prosecutor can indict a ham sandwich" they must have little to nothing.  Of course dropping white hate group names is a good way to deflect attention away from the leftist Brown Shirts being allowed to run amok. 

As for the "peaceful" protester BS. If they were so damn peaceful they wouldn't have looted and burned the store no matter how much they were "incited". 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1    4 years ago
As for the "peaceful" protester BS. If they were so damn peaceful they wouldn't have looted and burned the store no matter how much they were "incited". 

My point exactly.

Perhaps lemming simply can't think for themselves, and just follow whatever is in front of them?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @2    4 years ago

I didn't say the largely peaceful protesters were incited to riot.  

I said the outside agitators are the ones doing the actual 'rioting'

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @2.2    4 years ago
I didn't say the largely peaceful protesters were incited to riot.  

I didn't claim you did.

I said the outside agitators are the ones doing the actual 'rioting'

Sure a lot of damage and mayhem for just a few "outside agitators".

If I were a member of a "peaceful protest", and "outside agitators" started shit, I would call the cops and point out who did what so my group of "peaceful protesters" wouldn't be implicated in any way.

So how many calls did 911 receive from "peaceful protesters" regarding vandalism, looting, or arson?

Any at all??

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.1    4 years ago

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.1    4 years ago

The "outside agitators" are still agitating. From today's New York Times:

"Two months after the police killing of George Floyd, the four-block area of South Minneapolis where he gasped his last breaths remains a sacred space, a no-go zone for officers...

At night, though, the space is increasingly a battleground, with shootings and drug overdoses. The area has had an uptick in gun violence similar to what other cities have seen in the wake of protests…

"What people aren’t recognizing is that people who live there are having a very, very challenging time from the unlawfulness that is occurring after the sun goes down,” said Andrea Jenkins, a member of the City Council whose district includes the memorial space. “There are constant gunshots every night. Emergency vehicles can’t get in. Disabled people are not able to access their medications, their appointments, their food deliveries, et cetera. It’s a very challenging situation.

“But when the other crowd comes at night, I can’t call the police, and that scares the hell out of me,” she said. Ms. Dawkins pointed to a gunshot in the windshield of her car, a gold sedan.

“We have kids in this home, so I do want police to protect families,” she said. “It’s a hard balance. I’m happy this incident brought change, but I want to feel safe.”

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.4  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.1    4 years ago

How the hell would I know?  Why don't you look it up?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.2.3    4 years ago

You're supposed to provide a source when you quote something Sean.  

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.2.6  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.5    4 years ago
You're supposed to provide a source when you quote something Sean. 

That's rich coming from you.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.7  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.2.6    4 years ago

Funny thing is, here is what he wrote.............

"The "outside agitators" are still agitating. From today's New York Times:

Thought it was pretty clear. Of course some folks need a link (that others NEVER read even though given) so they don't have to research themselves. SMH

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.8  Texan1211  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.2.7    4 years ago

I guess "From the NY Times" means different things to different people!

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    4 years ago

All the more reason to encourage the police to keep order and arrest trouble makers. Yet "peaceful" activists and progressive politicians keep talking about doing away with police. Or to paraphrase Nancy Pelosi, just let the people do what they will do.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @3    4 years ago

No one is talking about 'doing away with the police' other than tRump and his supporters.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @3.1    4 years ago
No one is talking about 'doing away with the police' other than tRump and his supporters.

OK then . . .

Minneapolis City Council approves measure to abolish police force

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @3.1.1    4 years ago
OK then . . .

Minneapolis City Council Approves Measure To Abolish Police Force

Here's a little excerpt from that linked article.

The Minneapolis City Council on Friday unanimously approved a measure to abolish the city’s police department — a radical proposal amid nationwide efforts by activists to defund local law enforcement agencies.

Anyone know who the "no one" talking about abolishing police forces is?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @3.1.1    4 years ago

Here's another little excerpt from that linked article

"The vote to abolish the police force Friday will require amending the city’s charter. A draft amendment that was posted online suggests replacing the force with a “Department of Community Safety and Violence Prevention.”

The suggested department would consist of peace officers and ensure public safety through “a holistic, public health-oriented approach.”

So again, the only people talking about 'doing away with the police' are tRump and his supporters.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1.4  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.3    4 years ago

If you want to interpret that as not abolishing the police, that's fine with me, but don't you think you should advocate for better language like "reform the police" or something else that's constructive?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @3.1.4    4 years ago

Hey, might be a good time to buy gun stocks.

If the loonies get their way, when someone breaks into your house, they'll send someone to discuss his feelings.

And if it is committed by a minority, someone to come talk to you about white guilt and privilege.

And don't think for a second that the suspect won't keep doing it when he is set free in a no-bail state or city. Want to make sure he is comfortable, after all.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.6  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.5    4 years ago
And if it is committed by a minority, someone to come talk to you about white guilt and privilege.

What? White Evangelical Conservatives and the majority do not break in each other homes and steal right under each others noses? Privileged to take privilege from each other?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1.7  Tacos!  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.5    4 years ago

No kidding. They'll try to have me apologizing to the intruder.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.8  CB  replied to  Tacos! @3.1.7    4 years ago

Who? The "Umbrella man?"  Why would you apologize to that privileged intruder/agent provocateur?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  CB @3.1.6    4 years ago

What is that noise?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  CB @3.1.8    4 years ago
Who? The "Umbrella man?"  Why would you apologize to thatprivilegedintruder/agent provocateur?

No, not the umbrella man.

Are you following the conversation at all?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1.11  Tacos!  replied to  CB @3.1.8    4 years ago
Who? The "Umbrella man?"  Why would you apologize to that privileged intruder/agent provocateur?

No, that is not what we were saying.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.12  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.9    4 years ago

White Evangelical Conservatives and the majority do not break in each other homes and steal right under each others noses?

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.13  CB  replied to  Tacos! @3.1.11    4 years ago

Well, he is the "intruder" in this narrative. Look at the image:

5f20d4b0e7e2902c277a49d6_o_U_v2.jpg

The suspect is a member of the Hell's Angels biker gang and a member of the Aryan Cowboy Brotherhood, a white supremacist gang, the affidavit said.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

Doesn't matter how it is interpreted, they're not abolishing anything

I'm so glad I have your approval.  It's what I live for. . . 

zuksam
Junior Silent
5  zuksam    4 years ago

So they've invented a "Boogieman" to blame. BLM and ANTIFA aren't violent or destructive they're peaceful, it's the "Umbrella Man" and his band of invisible cohorts who travel around the nation committing all the crimes. Of course they know who he is and his whole racist history but can't tell us his name or charge him because they can't continue to blame the Boogieman for new crimes if he's in jail.