╌>

The deadly consequences of a clueless president

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  119 comments

If the coronavirus were a military enemy, it would be occupying the capital, torching the White House and dictating the terms of our surrender.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

In 2016, the libertarian magazine Reason polled a few dozen staff, contributors and allies on who would get their votes for president. Almost all planned to cast a ballot for Libertarian Party nominee Gary Johnson. I was alone in stating a firm intention to vote for Hillary Clinton, giving three simple reasons: "She's sane, informed and competent."

There is nothing like a deadly pandemic to remind us that these qualities are not dispensable in a president. They are literally a matter of life and death.

In a normal presidential election, uttering such faint praise as I offered Clinton would be the equivalent of calling, "Nice swing!" to a Little Leaguer who has just struck out. But in 2016, the Democratic nominee had a monopoly on the critical virtues, and the Republican had none of them.

Sane? Clinical psychologist George Simon said then that Donald Trump was such a textbook case of narcissism "that I'm archiving video clips of him to use in workshops." Without Trump, he said: "I would have had to hire actors and write vignettes. He's like a dream come true."

Informed? Trump imagined he could make Mexico pay for a border wall. Every time he addressed an issue, he made his ignorance obvious. Competent? He had gone through multiple bankruptcies, while engineering such fiascoes as Trump Shuttle, Trump Vodka and Trump Steaks.

His televised interview this week with Axios reporter Jonathan Swan was an epic debacle, revealing Trump as an ignorant bumbler who has learned absolutely nothing about doing the job he was elected to do -- and still may not realize that he has anything to learn.

He bragged about how well his administration has handled the pandemic, oblivious to the human and economic devastation it has caused. He shuffled papers and cited numbers that failed to prove what he insisted -- and may actually believe -- they prove.

Most appalling was Trump's insistence that the pandemic is "under control." Reminded that a thousand Americans have been dying every day, the president had a blithe answer: "They are dying. That's true. It is what it is. But that doesn't mean we aren't doing everything we can. It's under control as much as you can control it."

"It is what it is?" Imagine George W. Bush saying that about 9/11, or Franklin Roosevelt about Pearl Harbor. Nearly 5 million Americans have contracted COVID-19, and almost 160,000 Americans have died. Trump's own former commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, Scott Gottlieb, says the dead could total 300,000 by the end of the year. It's a national catastrophe, and the worst may be yet to come.

Remember that in February, Trump asserted that the virus was "very much under control." By April, he was predicting that the number of deaths would be no more than 60,000. That was a gross underestimate, but he still insists he has controlled the pandemic as well as possible.

But he hasn't. We know that because other countries have done a far better job of preventing transmission and saving lives. South Korea, with 51 million people, has had fewer than 15,000 cases and 301 fatalities. The U.S. has twice as many people as Japan -- but 150 times more deaths.

At the outset, Trump proclaimed himself a "wartime president." He said, "We must sacrifice together, because we are all in this together." But he had no appetite for requesting sacrifice or making it. He sided with protesters who rejected the minimal inconvenience of wearing masks in public and, until July, refused to be seen wearing one himself.

His baseless optimism, disdain for scientists' advice and unwillingness to take responsibility have had devastating consequences. If the coronavirus were a military enemy, it would be occupying the capital, torching the White House and dictating the terms of our surrender.

Things would have gone much better had Trump just done a few simple things: listen to the early warnings from his advisers, focus on defeating the virus rather than supporting the stock market, mobilize every available asset, refuse to declare victory prematurely and urge his followers to don masks as a patriotic duty.

Instead, he remains a clueless captive of his own wishful thinking. "This thing's going away," he said Wednesday, on the basis of nothing. "It will go away like things go away."

This election already stands out for the bumper sticker it has generated: "Any functioning adult 2020." What a change that would be.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

The author is a self described libertarian who writes a nationally syndicated column. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

I  bought a yard sign from Amazon that says "For the love of God, anyone but Trump"

I still need to put it in the yard. It will either get torn up, stolen, or burned. I live in Trump Land

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  cjcold  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    4 years ago

Set up a tent in the yard and hope for the best.

Trump supporters tend to be violent and destructive.

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.2  bugsy  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    4 years ago

To be honest, I find that hard to believe that Trump supporters would vandalize anyone's property. It usually is from the left side that does the vandalizing.

To highlight the lack of vandalism from the right, I too live in a mostly conservative community. On the busy road right outside of my subdivision, someone nailed a sign to their mailbox that says "No Trump". That sign has been there for a few months now, and no one has touched it.

In contrast, we see stories every election cycle of people stealing political signs advertising conservative candidates.

I'm not saying that vandalism is strictly a left wing thing (although Portland and Seattle certainly come to mind), I'm saying that the vast majority of it comes from the left.

This is from only 2 years ago...

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.3  bugsy  replied to  cjcold @1.1.1    4 years ago
Trump supporters tend to be violent and destructive.

Yes, because every single rioter and looter in democrat cities are conservative s/

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  bugsy @1.1.2    4 years ago

You don't live where I live.

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.5  bugsy  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.4    4 years ago

Don't have to. I just showed you, in several places, that the left is very prone to vandalism and violence. Conservatives, as a most, don't do that kind of stuff. We respect other's property,

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  bugsy @1.1.5    4 years ago

I really don't care what you think. I'm not looking at any biased source you link to

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.7  bugsy  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.6    4 years ago
I'm not looking at any biased source you link to

Too funny.

The only link I posted was one from a local news station that normally tends to lean their political stories to the left, seeding predominately from CNN.

It seems you agree with Nadler that riots and looting in Seattle and Portland by left wing ANTIFA is a "myth".

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  bugsy @1.1.7    4 years ago

What the hell does so-called left wing vandalism in Jax, FLA have to do with rioters in Portland and Seattle?

We were talking about yard sign vandalism or was that subject just too much for you?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  bugsy @1.1.3    4 years ago

You know you are making sweeping generalizations and others have written comments on another seed that some of the rioters are not antifa or BLM. They are white supremacists (Boogaloo Boys) who are trying to start a race war.

Bugsy, please go bother someone else. I'm really not interested in your conjectures and going off-topic

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
1.1.10  Account Deleted  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    4 years ago

You need to put it in A yard - not necessarily yours.

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.11  bugsy  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.8    4 years ago
What the hell does so-called left wing vandalism in Jax, FLA have to do with rioters in Portland and Seattle?

Very simple. Try and keep up.

You stated in 1.1 that you bought a yard sign and are afraid to put it up because "It will either get torn up, stolen, or burned", because you live in Trump country. This is insinuating that Trump supporters are vandals (this is the REAL SG).

I countered that by showing that is not true, and that the left is far more prone to vandalism and violence, as highlighted by the local link I posted, and using Portland and Seattle to further my point.

It is also well documented that the vast majority of violence in democrat run cities are from ANTIFA and BLM. (BTW, the term you used to identify a "white supremist" group is apparently a banned word here, so be careful).

Just a little bit of friendly advice.

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.12  bugsy  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.9    4 years ago

I promise I will not harm anyone with facts any longer.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.13  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  bugsy @1.1.12    4 years ago
I promise I will not harm anyone with facts

why start now? 

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.14  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.13    4 years ago
why start now? 

Says the person that has NEVER posted a factual seed or post....ever...

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.15  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    4 years ago

[Deleted]

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.16  Greg Jones  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.9    4 years ago
They are white supremacists (removed quoted banned term ) who are trying to start a race war.

Absolutely no credible evidence of that.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.17  devangelical  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.16    4 years ago

... says a birther...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.18  Trout Giggles  replied to  Account Deleted @1.1.10    4 years ago

You're brilliant!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.19  Trout Giggles  replied to  bugsy @1.1.12    4 years ago

doesn't matter because you are now going on ignore.

I know I know...shouldn't advertise it, but I don't want you to have to bother yourself with trying to present me with so-called facts that are bullshit

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.20  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @1.1.15    4 years ago

Here's the problem...where I intend to put my sign is about 250 yards from the front door (at least, haven't really measured it yet). And then the view to the top of the hill where the mailbox is is currently hindered by very large oak and hickory trees.

I could camp out at the mailbox but why bother? If it gives someone satisfaction to vandalize my sign, then I have done a good deed by giving a bored person something to do

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.21  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.20    4 years ago

get an AR with a scope and aim low center mass/groin. they'll bleed out driving themselves to the ER.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.22  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @1.1.21    4 years ago

Yeah...I don't think so. Mr Giggles likes me working and paying bills not rotting in prison

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.23  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.22    4 years ago

use his gun and wear latex gloves...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.24  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @1.1.23    4 years ago

now that's a solution

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.25  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    4 years ago

Years ago someone removed my Obama magnetic bumper sticker.  I guess I'm lucky they didn't do any damage.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.26  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @1.1.2    4 years ago

How is it living in that alternate reality/projection universe?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.27  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @1.1.12    4 years ago

No danger of that.  You've never provided anything of value factswise.  

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.28  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.27    4 years ago

Really? Let's take a look at some of your "brilliant" retorts...

jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

jrSmiley_90_smiley_image.gif

jrSmiley_90_smiley_image.gif

jrSmiley_42_smiley_image.gif

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.29  bugsy  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.19    4 years ago

If you really want to have conversation, then tell me how my facts are "bullshit".

Come on....give it a shot. I know you can do it s/

Freewill
Junior Quiet
1.1.30  Freewill  replied to  cjcold @1.1.1    4 years ago
Trump supporters tend to be violent and destructive

Just saw this article today so pardon the late response.  Given today's current political animus, I feel this statement is a bit disingenuous, perhaps even a bit myopic.  At this point, I'd say at least in places like Portland, Seattle and Chicago it would appear to be Trump haters that tend to be violent and destructive.   Since we are talking about yard signs, how long do you suppose a Trump sign would last in places like that and would the destruction end at the sign?  Not from what we have all seen on video, the homes of officers and other officials have been attacked, hell they even attacked the homes of those who were "on their side".

Certainly President Trump doesn't help matters with his overly aggressive tweets and other stupid statements.  He certainly fans the flames.  But as far as actual physical violence it is clear that the increasing partisan divide and aggressiveness of those partisan extremists is driving the destruction we see.  When party allegiance and extremism  intensifies and becomes an overwhelming component of ones identity, aggressive tendencies will bubble to the surface, Republican or Democrat.  When politicians then embrace and/or allow the violence and destruction, coupled with their own sharply partisan rhetoric, is it any wonder that the political violence gets worse?  Trump is certainly not the only one fanning those flames.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
1.1.31  Freewill  replied to  devangelical @1.1.15    4 years ago
ezpz. put up no trespassing signs on your property lines. buy an unplugged 12 gauge semi-auto shotgun. load it with #2 buckshot. aim above the knees. put sheets or pillowcases over their heads before you call 911.

get an AR with a scope and aim low center mass/groin. they'll bleed out driving themselves to the ER

devangelical - I am going to assume you are kidding around with these statements but you are flirting with a serious violation of the ToS with this if not

Additionally, you agree not to: Post any content that depicts or contains rape, extreme violence, murder , bestiality, incest, or other similar content

It also violates the CoH as it pertains to repugnant or harmful content.  Please refrain from this sort of post or I will take it up with those above my pay grade .

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3  Dismayed Patriot    4 years ago
Sane? Clinical psychologist George Simon said then that Donald Trump was such a textbook case of narcissism "that I'm archiving video clips of him to use in workshops." Without Trump, he said: "I would have had to hire actors and write vignettes. He's like a dream come true."

I guess he's not completely useless as the majority of Americans believe...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3    4 years ago

Pysch 101 will now have a special section on how to spot a narcissist and it will be videos of trmp

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1    4 years ago

Pysch 101 will now have a special section on how to spot a narcissist and it will be videos of trmp

Not to mention when they have to study the Dunning-Kruger effect .

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.2  cjcold  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3    4 years ago

I use Trump as a moral compass. Anything he'd do or say, I wouldn't.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

was alone in stating a firm intention to vote for Hillary Clinton

No libertarian could vote for Hillary Clinton.   Just like crazy  jen rubin clings to the "republican"  party id while regurgitating  partisan  Democratic points. 

But at what point does reality intrude on this partisan hysteria? For all of Trump's faults, the USA's death rate per capita  is in line or better than most of Western Europe's and our economy has dealt with Covid better than the EU, even Germany which had less of an outbreak that the US did so far..  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    4 years ago
But at what point does reality intrude on this partisan hysteria?

at the point when people like you say you are not voting for trump because the country does not deserve four more years of this insane shit.  ready yet? 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    4 years ago

Do you imagine Hillary would have repelled the virus? 

This is, hopefully, a once in a century pandemic.  It was always going to be bad.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to    4 years ago

you would rather inflict a complete narcissistic moron on innocent people .

Is Donald Trump the only republican on earth that can advocate for lower taxes? 

Man up for christs sake and call for a different candidate.  One that isn't an abhorrent human being. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.2    4 years ago

Trump wouldnt be fit to hold elected office in the United States even if coronavirus never existed. He is a KNOWN serial liar, crook, bigot, moron , and cheat. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.3    4 years ago

At some point you will just have to accept the fact that your President is the nominee.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.6  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.5    4 years ago

No, you have to accept it. History is not going to blame people like me for this preposterous episode in American history, it's going to blame... wait for it.... Trump Supporters !    what a surprise, lol. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.6    4 years ago
No, you have to accept it. History is not going to blame people like me for this preposterous episode in American history, it's going to blame... wait for it.... Trump Supporters !    what a surprise, lol. 

I have, clearly.

And I haven't spent the last 4 years ceaselessly whining about it, either.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.8  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.6    4 years ago
History is not going to blame people like me for this preposterous episode in American history

So just keep it going John...................keep it going.............

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.9  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.7    4 years ago

You whine at me every single day. If you were here four years ago, you would have been whining then too. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.9    4 years ago

Pointing out an unhealthy obsession isn't whining, JR, it is a favor to you.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.11  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.8    4 years ago

I have no problem being at "war" with Trump supporters. I just wish we were not so restricted on NT. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.12  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.10    4 years ago

You have an unhealthy obsession with protecting Donald Trump.  That is the wrong side of history dude. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.11    4 years ago

You are free to speak your mind.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.12    4 years ago

I am not "protecting" Trump.

Nor am I attacking him daily.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.20  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.8    4 years ago
" History is not going to blame people like me for this preposterous episode in American history

So just keep it going John...................keep it going............."

She's right, he has about 20% support.  Pretty dismal.  That support is dwindling daily.

Yes, it is.  

And another dumbass meme.  

tenor.gif

So tiresome. . . . 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1.21  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.4    4 years ago

Funny how the GOP tends to vote for game show hosts, B grade actors and far right wing racist fascists. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5  Ronin2    4 years ago
I was alone in stating a firm intention to vote for Hillary Clinton, giving three simple reasons: "She's sane, informed and competent."

This guy is a complete loon, full stop. What Libertarian could vote for an uber hawk like Hillary. She never met a military engagement she didn't like. The military industrial complex is in love with her. Nothing would make them happier than her being president.

Hillary isn't a narcissist? What planet is he from? Name me a president that isn't for that matter. You have to be a narcissist on some level to even think you can run a country as big as the US for even just 4 or 8 years.  If you are then you get Bush Jr'd.

As for Covid 19; what does anyone think Hillary would have done differently? You would still have the same Democratic mighty mental midgets in NY, NJ, and MI placing people with Covid 19 in nursing and retirement homes infecting and killing off the elderly (aka the must vulnerable). Or how about the "protests" think they wouldn't have occurred under Hillary's watch? Or would they suddenly have been shut down by the weak kneed Democrats? Of course no one even dares mention those "protesters" are transmitting the virus.

No Covid 19 and the Democrats are screaming at the sky due to the strong economy. Covid 19 saved their worthless asses; and they have done everything in their power to aid in it's spread. 

But Trruuummmmppppp!!!! The only excuse the Democrats have for their own ineptitude and short comings. "Don't look at us! See Trump! Trump! Trump! Trump! Trump! Trump!" It is getting very old. Think Trump doesn't take responsibility for anything? The Democrats need to look in the damn mirror.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1  Tessylo  replied to  Ronin2 @5    4 years ago

Is that all you have, projection?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Ronin2 @5    4 years ago
This guy is a complete loon, full stop

Why? Just because he didn't buy all the right wing lies and bullshit about Hillary? She certainly wasn't the best Democrats could have offered but she is sane, informed and competent when compared to the woefully incompetent dishonest Donald.

Hillary isn't a narcissist?

Not when compared to the king of narcissism, dirty Donald. She's a tiny wave of self importance compared to Donald's tsunami of self aggrandizement.

You have to be a narcissist on some level to even think you can run a country as big as the US

Fair enough. On a scale of 1 to 10 Hillary is at best a 6 while Donald cranks it all the way to 11.

As for Covid 19; what does anyone think Hillary would have done differently?

She would likely have taken it seriously from day one instead of downplaying it for months claiming it would just miraculously "go away". That would have made a HUGE difference and would have saved thousands of American lives.

No Covid 19 and the Democrats are screaming at the sky due to the strong economy.

Total horseshit. Democrats want a strong economy just like any other American because they are Americans.

Think Trump doesn't take responsibility for anything?

Well that's obvious. He's never taken responsibility for any mistakes, ever. Trump lives by the worthless piece of shit mantra “no apology under any circumstances”. He is a human piece of garbage, a sack of shit, worse than pond scum, a genuine inflamed hemorrhoid on the ass of America.

The Democrats need to look in the damn mirror.

Sure, Democrats are no saints. They aren't perfect, but the average Democrat is ten thousand times more intelligent, competent and rational than dumb shit Donald. Yet Republicans aren't even willing to admit Donald isn't their Saint, they fucking lick his dirty boots daily and they will all reap what they have sown eventually. Sure, they'll abandon him and try to act like it wasn't their fault and it was all Democrats for forcing them to elect an incompetent moron, but they will eventually pay the full price of their monumentally poor choice of Presidential candidates. There really is no way for them to avoid it now, they are going to get their comeuppance and find themselves relegated to the trash heap of history along with their corrupt criminal former President.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

I just pray that the administration is smart enough to make sure Trump doesn't have the codes or access to "the button" he could push to start WW3, because the way things are going, he's desperate enough and stupid enough to do what will endanger the lives of a vast multiple of the present covid-19 deaths, and even make our planet uninhabitable.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    4 years ago

"to make sure Trump doesn't have the codes or access to "the button" he could push to start WW3"

I think they are:  man woman person camera tv

If you ever saw the movie The Dead Zone based on the book by Stephen King, you would think he was prescient about tRump and the nuclear codes. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @6.1    4 years ago

"The missiles are flying.  Hallelujah! Hallelujah!"

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.2  cjcold  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    4 years ago

make our planet uninhabitable

By denying the reality of anthropogenic global warming he is doing just that