╌>

Russia Registers World's First Covid-19 Vaccine Despite Safety Concerns

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  4 years ago  •  123 comments

By:   Thomas Grove (WSJ)

Russia Registers World's First Covid-19 Vaccine Despite Safety Concerns
“We should be grateful to those who have taken this first step, which is very important for our country and the whole world,” Mr. Putin told a government meeting, a Kremlin transcript showed.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

MOSCOW—Russia registered the world’s first Covid-19 vaccine, President Vladimir Putin said, marking a milestone in the fight against the novel coronavirus but amid safety concerns in the West over the country’s accelerated clinical evaluations.

The development was met with anticipation and skepticism in the country. Some health and pharmaceutical officials in Russia and the West have  expressed alarm at the speed  with which scientists at Moscow’s Gamaleya Institute for Epidemiology and Microbiology developed the vaccine.

Scientists employed military testing,  accelerated clinical evaluations  and shortened trial times in an attempt to be first with a vaccine. Russia hopes to use it in a massive immunization program at home and to export it abroad under the name Sputnik V—a reference to the satellite it launched into orbit in the Cold War space race, beating the U.S.

“We should be grateful to those who have taken this first step, which is very important for our country and the whole world,” Mr. Putin told a government meeting, a Kremlin transcript showed.

“I hope we can start a massive release of this vaccine soon,” he said, adding that one of his daughters had already received it.

Critics worry that the Kremlin is sacrificing the health of its citizens for prestige. They have compared the race for a vaccine with that of the doping scandal during the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, where Russian authorities were accused of helping to cover up drug violations by the country’s athletes.

Mr. Putin said earlier this year that he wanted a shot produced by September, adding political pressure to the search for a vaccine. Russia has recorded some  900,000 coronavirus cases,  straining its health-care system, and lockdown measures have cut its economy by 10% in the second quarter.

So far, two rounds of testing have been launched for the vaccine, and a third is planned after registration, when authorities will offer voluntary vaccination of health-care workers and teachers. The health minister said previously that a rollout of the vaccine would start in October.

Gamaleya Institute, which worked jointly with the Defense Ministry, has said the expedited testing was safe because the vaccine was being developed on the basis of a previously registered inoculation against Ebola.

Earlier this year, the U.S., U.K. and Canada accused Russia of hacking into international institutions to  steal Covid-19 vaccine information . Russia denied the accusations.

Russia’s Association of Clinical Trials Organizations, a non-governmental organization that links to pharmaceutical companies, has asked the health minister in an open letter to delay registration of the vaccine until all clinical trials have been completed.

“It hasn’t even completed testing with participation of even 100 people,” the letter said on the organization’s website, emphasizing the need for a third phase. “It’s exactly in the course of that phase when proof of the effectiveness can be ascertained as well as information about undesirable reactions, which the vaccine can cause in various patient groups,” the organization said.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the U.S.’s top infectious-disease expert, said during a House Covid-19 subcommittee hearing last month that the U.S. likely wouldn’t use vaccines developed in China or Russia, voicing concerns over testing.

Kirill Dmitriev, the head of Russia’s Direct investment Fund, which partnered with Gamaleya Institute for the vaccine, said Russia had already received requests from 20 countries, including Brazil, Indonesia, and the United Arab Emirates for one billion doses of Sputnik-V.

Still, some skepticism remained among Russians. Natalia Trofimova, a former health-care worker, said she didn’t plan on taking the vaccine.

“I don’t believe in it,” she said.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    4 years ago

Could it be?  From a nation with an economy about the size of Texas?   A roll out in October?

We shall see.

Trump and his supporters are off topic

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    4 years ago

This is about oneupmanship on the part of the Russians. Has zero to do with humanitarian reasons and helping the rest of the world. It is politics and getting one over on the West.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2    4 years ago

Yes, that is what it's mainly about, but if it works and they have it first, it will be meaningful.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2  Gsquared    4 years ago

Could it be?

The likelihood is about zero.

Trump and his supporters are off topic

So, no discussion of Putin?  (Could't resist.  We shall see if humor is verboten.)

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Gsquared @2    4 years ago
The likelihood is about zero.

Yup, I am debating whether to scrap this one. I'm sure this vaccine has few safeguards, but the Polio vaccine didn't get the great seal of approval either.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Gsquared  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    4 years ago

From what I have read, there was virtually no appropriate testing and few if no safeguards. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Gsquared @2.1.1    4 years ago

Beyond this article?

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Gsquared  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.2    4 years ago

Yes, but I do not recall the source at the moment.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Gsquared @2.1.3    4 years ago

Let us know, I'm interested in anything on this particular topic.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Gsquared  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.4    4 years ago

"... Russia’s hard charge toward a potential vaccine has raised alarm among global health experts that the country is jumping dangerously ahead of critical, large-scale testing that is essential to determine if a possible covid-19 protection is safe and effective. Few details of the Gamaleya research have been made public or underwent peer review."

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.6  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Gsquared @2.1.5    4 years ago

Oh good! I get to read the Washington Post and you get to read the Wall Street Journal. We saved on the prescription costs!

Ok, Let me read it.

Oh well, it won't let me. So, I take it that they make the points you mentioned?

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Gsquared  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.6    4 years ago

Yes, I quoted from their article.  I read the Wall Street Journal whenever I have chance, and I do not have a subscription to either publication.  Your seed is showing "404 Page Not Found".  I'm not having any problem viewing the Washington Post article.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.8  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Gsquared @2.1.7    4 years ago
Your seed is showing "404 Page Not Found". 

I know. I had to use the old method to post the article - otherwise my name shows.

I'm not having any problem viewing the Washington Post article.

I think the Post allows so may free articles. I'm well beyond my free articles.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.9  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.8    4 years ago

The Post doesn't anymore. They have a paywall up. Frankly, I feel that Google shouldn't carry articles that only some can read. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.9    4 years ago

I get three articles a month for free. After that, any link that goes directly to the website brings up the "subscribe now" message and you can't read the article. I think the three is a bait and switch and I am sure some, who think it is gospel, do sign up.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.11  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.9    4 years ago
The Post doesn't anymore.

I don't think the Wall Street Journal ever did. I don't mind subscribing to the WSJ.  I get a morning briefing from the New York Times and believe it or not through that I can get some free articles.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

Russia does have some great researchers, so who knows.  Say it does work and could end this thing, what will Putin demand to share it with the world?  My guess would be re-admittance to the G7.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    4 years ago

It is possible and the name given to the drug alludes to that - referring back to when the old Soviet Union had the lead in the space race!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1    4 years ago

Sputnik V is a silly name for the vaccine, but if you own the horse, you get to pick the name.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.1.1    4 years ago

It is a silly name, but it is a political statement. If it works, Putin gets to say Russia did it first. That sword cuts both ways though. If there is something wrong with it, it only adds to a lot of other Russian disasters such as Chernobyl and a lot of Submariners that Russia left for dead.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.1.1    4 years ago

Better than Putin that's for sure

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    4 years ago

If Trump is off-topic, so is Biden.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.7  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    4 years ago
I thought the author decides what is off topic? 

Well, I guess we will let Vic decide. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.8  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.7    4 years ago

IMO the site owner (you) should also have a say in it.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    4 years ago

Putin certainly doesn't give a shit about doing humane research so there's no doubt a very large body count behind these supposed results.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @4.2    4 years ago

Although I agree about the Russian philosophy, vaccines don't tend to kill people. They either work or they don't. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6  Sparty On    4 years ago

Zombie apocalypse on the way ...... hopefully they are the slow zombies and not the fast ones ...... those fast ones will be a much tougher head shot

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
6.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Sparty On @6    4 years ago

Yeah... I can't outrun a "World War Z" zombie.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @6.1    4 years ago

Yeah, those suckers were all fast.   Like 4.4 forty fast.

I'm with you, give me TWD zombies any day

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
6.1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @6.1    4 years ago
I can't outrun a "World War Z" zombie.

Well, as the saying goes, "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun the guy next to me...".

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
6.1.3  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @6.1.2    4 years ago

Well... I'm pretty much screwed. I'm barely 4'11" with a 25" inseam. My little "Corgi" legs don't move very fast. jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @6.1.2    4 years ago

Well .... in a zombie apocalypse you would need to outrun the guy next you, and the guy next to him and the guy next to him and the guy next to ..... etc, etc

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Sparty On  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @6.1.3    4 years ago

Lol .... corgi legs .... thats a funny visual

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @6.1    4 years ago

I don't plan to outrun them.  I will cook them a chicken instead.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.7  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @6.1.3    4 years ago

Hey, I am 5'9" and my neighbor's corgi terrified me and once chased me down the block.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
6.1.8  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.7    4 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif  

So, what you're saying is, sometimes the short ones are scary? jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.9  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @6.1.8    4 years ago

If you had ever been one to my family reunions, you would not have to ask.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
6.1.10  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.9    4 years ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif The first time my husband met my mom's side of the family, he said he felt like he was in the Wizard of Oz with all the little people [aka Munchkins].

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.11  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @6.1.10    4 years ago

Try being 5'9" in a family, mostly women, who are 5'4 and under.  I always felt like Snow White and 50 demented dwarfs at family reunions.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

I'll hang back on this one. 

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
8  Account Deleted    4 years ago

An interesting gamble by Putin.

If successful, he becomes a savior in the eyes of the world.

If unsuccessful, he might be looking for a new line of work with some urgency.

Sputnik I's batteries died in three weeks. I'll wait to see how Sputnik V holds up in the first billion people.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Account Deleted @8    4 years ago

I heard he gave this new vaccine to his daughter.  Did Russia run out of political prisoners?

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
8.1.1  Account Deleted  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.1    4 years ago
Did Russia run out of political prisoners?

Define "run out"...

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Account Deleted @8.1.1    4 years ago

Prisoners are usually the guinea pigs for something like this.