╌>

Fans want a Chadwick Boseman statue to replace a Confederate monument in his hometown | GMA

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  3 comments

By:   GMA (Good Morning America)

Fans want a Chadwick Boseman statue to replace a Confederate monument in his hometown | GMA
"With Chadwick Boseman’s early passing, it is important that we honor a true local legend [by] immortalizing him in stone in front of the courthouse," the petition reads. "With help from the signers of this petition, I hope that it becomes apparent how popular this idea is. It is time to unify Anderson around a true local hero and time to honor all South Carolinians, not just the ideals of a few. Rest In Peace Chadwick Boseman."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

More than 15,000 people have signed   a petition   for a statue of Chadwick Boseman to replace a Confederate monument in the late actor's hometown of Anderson, South Carolina.

The petition, which centers on the Confederate monument that stands in front of the Anderson courthouse, was launched by an anonymous Anderson resident and is addressed to Anderson Mayor Terence Roberts, the South Carolina state Senate, the South Carolina House and South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster. Officials would need to sign off on the original statue's removal.

The petitioner wrote that there is "no need for political controversy in this decision," and that the current statue would be better served in the Anderson County Museum, where it could be accompanied by an explanation of its history and the reasoning for its relocation.

"With Chadwick Boseman’s early passing, it is important that we honor a true local legend [by] immortalizing him in stone in front of the courthouse," the petition reads. "With help from the signers of this petition, I hope that it becomes apparent how popular this idea is. It is time to unify Anderson around a true local hero and time to honor all South Carolinians, not just the ideals of a few. Rest In Peace Chadwick Boseman."

Boseman was 43 years old   when he died   of colon cancer, his representative announced last Friday. Throughout his career, the actor developed a reputation for playing towering real-life figures, including Ernie Davis in "The Express: The Ernie Davis Story," Jackie Robinson in "42," James Brown in "Get on Up" and Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall in "Marshall."

However, he is best known for starring as King T'Challa in "Black Panther" — a role that   finally allowed Black children   to see themselves represented on the big screen in a super-heroic way. To his "Black Panther" co-star Michael B. Jordan, Boseman was just as much a hero off-screen as the one he played in the Marvel movies.

"I've been watching, learning and constantly motivated by your greatness," Jordan wrote   on Instagram Monday . "Through it all, you never lost sight of what you loved most. You cared about your family, your friends, your craft, your spirit. You cared about the kids, the community, our culture and humanity. You cared about me."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

I liked Chadwick Boseman as an actor , and saw a number of his movies. It was only when he died though, that I saw what an icon he had become in the black community. He is on a path to be a Jim Brown or Sidney Poitier or a Muhammad Ali type figure in black history.  A statue of him is fine , although they should wait awhile. 

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.1  zuksam  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago
A statue of him is fine , although they should wait awhile. 

It's not a bad idea and I don't think it's to soon since these things are usually built through donations, they'd have to raise the money and now would be the best time for fundraising. They also need to get everyone to agree, move the old statue, design the memorial, then the lead time on a stone or bronze statue is probably a couple years. I figure if it all goes smoothly maybe 4-5 years from now it will be completed.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2  Thrawn 31    4 years ago

I need to be sober to write about Black Panther's career/impact.