╌>

Portland mayor to leave home targeted by protesters

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  4 years ago  •  22 comments

By:   Leslie Adler and Jonathan Oatis (MSN)

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Andrew Hay

© Reuters/CAITLIN OCHS Protest against racial inequality in Portland

(Reuters) - Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler said he planned to move out of his apartment after repeated protests outside his building demanding he resign over his handling of months of anti-racism protests in the Oregon city, according to a report.

In a Tuesday email, Wheeler told residents of the building in downtown Portland it would be best for their safety if he found a new home, The Oregonian newspaper reported on its website.

"I want to express my sincere apologies for the damage to our home and the fear that you are experiencing due to my position," Wheeler wrote, according to a screenshot of the email sent to The Oregonian.

Wheeler's office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Portland has seen over 90 days of protests calling for policing and social justice reforms since the killing of George Floyd, a 46-year-old Black man, by police in Minneapolis on May 25.

Demonstrators have gathered outside Wheeler's building calling for him to step down over police violence, including the use of tear gas against demonstrators.

Police declared a riot on Monday and arrested 19 people as some graffitied the walls of the building, smashed windows and threw burning material inside, Portland Police said.

President Donald Trump has seized on civil unrest in Portland and other cities to criticize Democratic leaders and call for "law and order" ahead of the Nov. 3 election.

"Mayor Wheeler just got harassed out of his own home in Portland by so-called "friendly protesters". The Anarchists, Agitators and Looters treat him HORRIBLY, even though he is so nice and respectful to them. Criminals only understand strength!," Trump tweeted on Wednesday.

Wheeler, who has blamed Trump for stoking clashes, on Tuesday asked the city to join him in "denouncing violence" after a Trump supporter was shot dead in Portland on Saturday.

(Reporting by Andrew Hay; Editing by Leslie Adler and Jonathan Oatis)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    4 years ago

And the "PEACEFUL PROTESTS" continue!

Okay, cue the usual "outside agitators" nonsense!

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1  GregTx  replied to  Texan1211 @1    4 years ago

Huh? I wonder how many residents of Portland, that don't feel it's safe to stay where they live, would like to relocate and aren't able to?

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
1.1.1  JaneDoe  replied to  GregTx @1.1    4 years ago

The mayor doesn’t care about them. 

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.2  GregTx  replied to  JaneDoe @1.1.1    4 years ago

No doubt, but he sure wants to seen as caring about the safety of those neighbors in his immediate vicinity. Fuck everyone else, apparently.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
1.1.3  JaneDoe  replied to  GregTx @1.1.2    4 years ago
safety of those neighbors in his immediate vicinity

I don’t think he really cares about them either. IMO, he is scared shitless and running away from what he helped create.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @1    4 years ago

Those darn  traveling white supremacists always tricking good liberals into criminal behavior.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.2    4 years ago
Those darn  traveling white supremacists always tricking good liberals into criminal behavior.

Man, those dudes really get around, don't they?

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
1.2.2  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.1    4 years ago

tex what i  chuckle about as everyone points fingers going they were from the right, or they were from the left ,  it could very well be some basement dweller not affiliated with either side that simply busts a nut causing chaos and violence for violences sake , that someone else will always be blamed for.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.3  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @1.2.2    4 years ago
it could very well be some basement dweller not affiliated with either side that simply busts a nut causing chaos and violence for violences sake , that someone else will always be blamed for.

Well, sure. That happens ALL the time.

But the mayor isn't having to decide to move because of some lone nut job.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
1.2.4  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.3    4 years ago

yeah but its those nut jobs that are inciting others.

I read today on my phone that some guy got caught in greenbay by the cops going into the city to incite mayhem , got caught with of all things a flipping flamethrower, the group he was with split , he sat down and started crying when the cops busted him.....

read that and was like someones cheese done fell off his cracker....

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.5  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @1.2.4    4 years ago

lol!

Gazoo
Junior Silent
1.2.6  Gazoo  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @1.2.4    4 years ago

His antifa name is “commander red.” 😂😜

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
1.2.7  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Gazoo @1.2.6    4 years ago
“commander red.”

lol

Gazoo
Junior Silent
2  Gazoo    4 years ago

I love it when they turn on their own 😂

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
2.1  JaneDoe  replied to  Gazoo @2    4 years ago

He got a little taste of what the people who live there are dealing with daily and he can’t handle it. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
3  charger 383    4 years ago

It is a weak and sorry Mayor who lets troublemaker chase him out of his place of residence

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  charger 383 @3    4 years ago
It is a weak and sorry Mayor who lets troublemaker chase him out of his place of residence Very true.

But if there are not enough smart voters there to remove him from office, don't be surprised if the Democrats don't encourage him to make a run for the Senate seeing as how effective he is as mayor.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4  The Magic 8 Ball    4 years ago
 Criminals only understand strength!," 

pain is the fastest education one can get.

these riots will not stop until it hurts the people rioting.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    4 years ago

What an unbelievably spineless douchebag.

charger 383
Professor Silent
6  charger 383    4 years ago

Any Company located in Portland that has the wherewithal to leave should find a new place to do business.    

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
6.1  JaneDoe  replied to  charger 383 @6    4 years ago

I would have taken my business elsewhere months ago. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7  seeder  Texan1211    4 years ago

The mayor should resign if he isn't confident enough in his police department to keep him safe.

It's a little ironic, isn't it?