╌>

Conservative Rick Wilson: Trump Is "Sweaty and Terrified" After Story Claiming He Mocked Dead Troops

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  4 years ago  •  116 comments

By:   Darragh Roche (POLITICUSUSA)

Conservative Rick Wilson: Trump Is "Sweaty and Terrified" After Story Claiming He Mocked Dead Troops
Advertisements Conservative Rick Wilson suggested on Friday that the Trump White House is in a panic following a story claiming the President mocked dead U.S. soldiers and refused to visit a military cemetery. Wilson, a former Republican political strategist opposed to Trump, shared a tweet from the President defending himself against a charge that he … Continue reading "Conservative Rick Wilson: Trump Is "Sweaty and Terrified" After Story Claiming He Mocked Dead Troops"

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Conservative Rick Wilson suggested on Friday that the Trump White House is in a panic following a story claiming the President mocked dead U.S. soldiers and refused to visit a military cemetery.

Wilson, a former Republican political strategist opposed to Trump, shared a tweet from the President defending himself against a charge that he didn't want to grant the late Senator John McCain a state funeral.

"This, in Trump-speak, is a full confession of guilt. He's sweaty and terrified right now," Wilson wrote.

This, in Trump-speak, is a full confession of guilt. He's sweaty and terrified right now. https://t.co/zPZvTtsP10
— Rick Wilson (@TheRickWilson) September 4, 2020

According to a blockbuster report in The Atlantic, Trump didn't want to honor McCain, a veteran and Republican grandee, saying "We're not going to support that loser's funeral."

When Trump saw flags flying at half-mast for McCain, he reportedly said: "What the fuck are we doing that for? Guy was a fucking loser."

Wilson also seemed to address the overnight scramble from pro-Trump figures and media to deny the report, though it has been partly corroborated by other outlets.

"Gosh, it's almost like the White House and Trump campaign spent late last night losing their shit and getting all his media bootlicks engaged in a furious pushback this morning," Wilson said.

"Because they MAD."

"This shit is all hands on deck for the WH/Trump campaign right now. Blood is in the water," he said.

Darragh Roche is a journalist covering U.S. politics and media

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    4 years ago

Trump showed his real self and people are repulsed!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @1    4 years ago
Trump showed his real self and people are repulsed!

The only ones repulsed are the same ones repulsed by the very mention of the Trump name.

You know--the folks in whose heads he lives rent-free in 24/7/365.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    4 years ago

Even John Bolton, whose disdain for Trump is well-known, proved that this anonymously sourced "bombshell report" from The Atlantic is false. 

However, an excerpt from Bolton's book "The Room Where It Happened" tells a different story.

"On Saturday, I went to the US Ambassador's residence, where Trump was staying, to brief him before his bilateral with [French President Emmanuel] Macron. The weather was bad, and [then White House Chief of Staff John] Kelly and I spoke about whether to travel as planned to the Château-Theirry Belleau Wood monuments and nearby American Cemeteries where many US World War I dead were buried," Bolton wrote. "Marine One's crew was saying that bad visibility could make it imprudent to chopper to the cemetery. The ceiling was not too low for Marines to fly in combat, but flying POTUS was obviously something very different."

Bolton later wrote, "It was a straightforward decision to cancel the visit but very hard for a Marine like Kelly to recommend, having originally been the one to suggest Belleau Wood (an iconic battle in Marine Corps history). Trump agreed, and it was decided that others would drive to the cemetery instead."

The Atlantic did not immediately respond to Fox News' request for comment.

With 59 days to go, left-wing media's fake news is in overdrive!

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1.1    4 years ago

Trump is shutting Stars And Stripes over this?

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    4 years ago

Again you're absolutely wrong about everything!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  Jasper2529  replied to  JBB @1.1.2    4 years ago

Since neither your seeded article nor my links in comment 1.1.1 mention Stars and Stripes, I have no idea what your derail's intention means. My comment was a direct referenc e to your seeded article

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.5  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    4 years ago
The only ones repulsed are the same ones repulsed by the very mention of the Trump name.

Fine, so I'll put you in the 'nothing Trump says or does reduces my sycophancy' category. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.6  Dulay  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1.1    4 years ago

Trump tweets:

"Bolton’s book, which is getting terrible reviews, is a compilation of lies and made up stories, all intended to make me look bad. Many of the ridiculous statements he attributes to me were never made, pure fiction. Just trying to get even for firing him like the sick puppy he is!" 

"Wacko John Bolton’s “exceedingly tedious”(New York Times) book is made up of lies & fake stories. Said all good about me, in print, until the day I fired him. A disgruntled boring fool who only wanted to go to war. Never had a clue, was ostracized & happily dumped. What a dope!"

So based on Trump's opinion of Bolton's book, it's contents 'prove' NOTHING. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @1.1.5    4 years ago
Fine, so I'll put you in the 'nothing Trump says or does reduces my sycophancy' category. 

Okay, and I'll try like hell not to lose any sleep over whatever category you assign me to.

Why would I care what category you put me in?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Sean Treacy  replied to  Dulay @1.1.6    4 years ago

I didn’t realize you accepted Trumps  opinion as compelling authority. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.9  Jasper2529  replied to  Dulay @1.1.6    4 years ago
Trump tweets:

It seems that you now believe all of Trump's opinions. Good to know! However, my comments and links do not refer to Trump's tweets; they document John Bolton's comments in his book.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.10  seeder  JBB  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1.4    4 years ago

The point is Trump has contempt for our military!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.11  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @1.1.6    4 years ago
"Trump tweets:

"Bolton’s book, which is getting terrible reviews, is a compilation of lies and made up stories, all intended to make me look bad. Many of the ridiculous statements he attributes to me were never made, pure fiction. Just trying to get even for firing him like the sick puppy he is!" 

"Wacko John Bolton’s “exceedingly tedious”(New York Times) book is made up of lies & fake stories. Said all good about me, in print, until the day I fired him. A disgruntled boring fool who only wanted to go to war. Never had a clue, was ostracized & happily dumped. What a dope!"

So based on Trump's opinion of Bolton's book, it's contents 'prove' NOTHING. 

Hilarious!  On another seed, a poster is trying to use those same denials regarding trumpturd calling disabled/deceased veterans suckers and losers.  Showed us the page in his copy of Bolton's book!

Freaking hilarious!!!!!!!!!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.12  Jasper2529  replied to  JBB @1.1.10    4 years ago
The point is Trump has contempt for our military!

If what you say is true, it should be very easy to prove your opinion with facts and the names of people who can support your opinion. Thus far, no one has accomplished this feat. I look forward to reading facts that support your opinion.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.13  seeder  JBB  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1.12    4 years ago

Knock yourself out. Or, you could Google it...

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.14  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JBB @1.1.13    4 years ago

Can't open the WaPo page as I am NOT so glued to their bias and daily dig for anything Never Trump that I'll pay for a subscription. But if the article, which is opinion, is based on the same old bullshit 2 year old supposed incident from "anonymous sources" it is just that. Bullshit. Trump loves the military and has NO contempt at all. To think otherwise shows that you, and several others right here it seems, are just looking for something, anything to dis him for. 

If this were true, trust me, it would have come out at the time. You remember the time period. The heat of the impeachment crapola liberals lapped up like a dog coming in from a 5 mile run, laps up water.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.15  seeder  JBB  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.14    4 years ago

What about this from Forbes?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackbrewster/2020/09/04/trump-says-he-never-called-mccain-a-loser-heres-the-evidence-he-did/?utm_campaign=forbes&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_term=Valerie/#76616c657269

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.16  Jasper2529  replied to  JBB @1.1.13    4 years ago
Knock yourself out. Or, you could Google it...
The Plum Line
Opinion
Opinion by 
Columnist
September 4, 2020 at 1:22 p.m. EDT
=========

Most people haven't used Google in years. The preferred search engine is DuckDuckGo, because it doesn't collect personal data like Google and Bing do. I digress ...

Paul Waldman(born February 27, 1968) is liberal / progressive American op-ed columnist and senior writer for The American Prospect , as well as a contributor to The Week and a blogger for the Washington Post ' s Plum Line blog.

A radical left-wing progressive's opinion is unbiased "FACT"? Wow! Please get back to me with actual facts and evidence instead of opinions. Thanks!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.17  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JBB @1.1.15    4 years ago

The majority of which is referencing McCain and NOT the military. And if you remember, Mr. McCain started the "feud".

When they did mantion it, the reference that same BS story from the Atlantic.............

Citing unnamed sources ,The Atlantic reported Trump made multiple derogatory remarks about veterans, calling them “losers” and “suckers

Whoever the "unnamed sources" are, they need to step up and identify themselves or shut up.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.18  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1.1    4 years ago

Cool! 

Somebody else posted the same thing in a different thread. 

Word for word. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.19  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.8    4 years ago

Of course everyone accepts Trump's opinion. He is such an honorable man. So honest - never says anything but the strict truth. 

He has so often demonstrated his respect for our institutions, in particular the rule of law. 

How could anyone not admire him? 

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.20  CB  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.8    4 years ago

Please even Trump supporters mock their talking horse's ass of a president when only they are in tow.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.21  CB  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1.1    4 years ago

Bolton's book does not speak to the 'chatter' that occurred surrounding the formation or concluding of a decision or making a judgement call.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.22  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JBB @1.1.2    4 years ago

The report I heard is that the Pentagon is shutting it down as a cost saving measure.  It may come back eventually though.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.23  Bob Nelson  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.22    4 years ago

Fifteen million... in the US defense budget of 738 BILLION.

That's two thousandths of one percent

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.24  Split Personality  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.22    4 years ago

Congress gets to make the actual decision, not the Pentagon.

Congress infamously made the Navy build a third stealth Zumwalt class destroyer despite Obama and the Joint Chief of Staff's objections because it had one main rail gun and no affordable munitions.

Now we have three warships ( $4.24 Billion a piece ) with no offensive punch because the shells are 1 million apiece.

So if Congress wants the Stars & Stripes it will stay.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.25  Bob Nelson  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.24    4 years ago

Trump has already done a 180°, courageously determined to preserve S&S funding against the dastards who would shutter it! 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.26  Dulay  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.8    4 years ago
I didn’t realize you accepted Trumps  opinion as compelling authority.

I don't, but those that DO are hypocrites if they then try to defend him by using statements from those who Trump insist are liars and sick puppies. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.27  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.7    4 years ago
Why would I care what category you put me in?

Why would I care if you cared? 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.28  Sean Treacy  replied to  Dulay @1.1.26    4 years ago

I don't

You just did. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.29  bugsy  replied to  JBB @1.1.2    4 years ago

If you knew what you were talking about and did not have "hate Trump" in your mind 24/7, you would know that Trump said today that he would make sure the Stars and Stripes kept publishing.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.30  Jasper2529  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1.18    4 years ago

That's nice.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.31  Jasper2529  replied to  CB @1.1.21    4 years ago
Bolton's book does not speak to the 'chatter' that occurred ...

I was very specific about which part of Bolton's book pertained to the seeded topic. Anything else is irrelevant.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.32  Dulay  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.28    4 years ago

Your inability to understand the concept of hypocrisy is on you.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.33  Dulay  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1.9    4 years ago
It seems that you now believe all of Trump's opinions. Good to know! However, my comments and links do not refer to Trump's tweets; they document John Bolton's comments in his book.

No, I pointed out that the source that you are using to defend Trump is someone who Trump insists is a liar and a sick puppy. 

It seems to be causing you and others an epic case of cognitive dissonance. 

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.34  CB  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1.31    4 years ago

Then why bother? We are discussing a set of "accusations" leveled against a well-established mocker. If you can't vouch for Donald not having mocked the dead as losers and suckers, why are you bothering with peripheral statements? Do you think for one instance Donald is so stupid as to make an official statement about our war dead being losers and suckers?!!  That said, he has disparaged military veterans and warriors since he has been president. If you don't know, then simply excuse yourself.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.35  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @1.1.27    4 years ago

Then announcing you were putting me in any category is pointless and stupid.

Thanks for confirming.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.36  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.35    4 years ago
Then announcing you were putting me in any category is pointless and stupid. Thanks for confirming.

You must be under the delusion that you are the only one that reads my comments. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.37  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @1.1.36    4 years ago

you sure seem to know a whole lot that isn't true.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.38  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.37    4 years ago

You are welcome to believe whatever unfounded crap you wish. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.39  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @1.1.38    4 years ago

I am?????,?

Wow!

thanks.

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.40  bugsy  replied to  Dulay @1.1.36    4 years ago
You must be under the delusion that you are the only one that reads my comments. 

We read them yes. How else do you think we get our daily LWNJ entertainment?

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.41  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.39    4 years ago

Damn, Tex, the internet expert (fill in the blank here) gave you permission to do something.

I hope you feel privileged (not the white type) and blessed.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.42  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @1.1.40    4 years ago

So you're saying that you disagree with Tex. Good.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.43  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @1.1.41    4 years ago

Your issues with expertise illustrates a lack of self esteem. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.44  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @1.1.41    4 years ago

oh, I am, I am!!!

such an honor, I am humbled

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.45  cjcold  replied to  JBB @1.1.10    4 years ago

The point being that Trump has contempt for anybody not named Trump.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.46  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @1.1.42    4 years ago

that isn't even in the same zip code of what I said!

R---e---a----c---h!!

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.47  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.46    4 years ago

Since I wasn't replying to you, SO WHAT? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.48  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @1.1.47    4 years ago

funny stuff, you imagining he stated something he didn't!

😃

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.49  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1.23    4 years ago

Good point.

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.50  bugsy  replied to  Dulay @1.1.43    4 years ago
Your issues with expertise illustrates a lack of self esteem. 

I believe that if a liberal would ever partake in expertise, you may have a point. Alas, that has never been accomplished on here.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.51  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @1.1.50    4 years ago
I believe that if a liberal would ever partake in expertise, you may have a point.

Don't know any liberals do you? I for one have partaken in a plethora of expertise.

I'm lucky enough to have had more than one expert chef cook for me. 

As a bibliophile, I have partaken in innumerable expertly written novels, poetry and autobiographies. 

I can't even name the number of expert musicians I have partaken in at live concerts over the last 50+ years. I saw Stevie Wonder open for the Rolling Stones. Hows THAT for partaking in expertise? 

So I think you have a misconception of liberals and what we 'partake in' bugsy. 

Alas, that has never been accomplished on here.

You've obviously limited the amount you've 'partaken' of here. I can think of quite a few instances of members EXHIBITING expertise. Some in humor, some in art, some in gardening, some in being assholes, some in stupidity and some in making behind the back snarky comments about other members. . 

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.52  bugsy  replied to  Dulay @1.1.51    4 years ago

I just saw this so I am going to respond to it now.

Everything you described that you have partaken in expertise is liberal artsy stuff that means very little to most people.

So you had some "expert" chefs cook for you. Big deal.

So you saw Stevie Wonder open for the Rolling Stones? Big whoop. I saw Sister Christian at my grad night at Disney . Does that make me a partaker in expertise in 80s hair bands or in Disney World?

When I mean expertise, I mean something that has actually contributed to society

TTGA
Professor Silent
1.1.53  TTGA  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    4 years ago
Wilson, a former Republican political strategist opposed to Trump, shared a tweet from the President defending himself against a charge that he didn't want to grant the late Senator John McCain a state funeral.

There we are Tex.  The bold part shows it all.  Someone who always hated Trump, now out looking for any reason to bash him.   Mostly, they, both Democrat and Republican politicians, hate Trump because he gets things done while they only talk about doing things.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.54  JohnRussell  replied to  TTGA @1.1.53    4 years ago

Donald Trump is a KNOWN liar, crook, bigot, moron and cheat. Now he admits he misled the American public about covid. 

Those who support him at this stage of the game should be ashamed of themselves. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.55  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.54    4 years ago

because you say so?

please.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.56  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.55    4 years ago

Donald Trump is a known liar crook bigot moron and cheat. Known. For five years we have had to pretend on this site and elsewhere that this is not true, because we are supposed to be polite to Trump supporters on internet forums. ROFL. 

What do Trump supporters bring to the table but nonsensical defenses of this man?   Enough is enough.

Trump has lied thousands of times. Thousands.  He committed fraud with Trump University. He committed tax fraud with his father. He cheated his casino investors.  He ran a company that did not rent apartments to blacks in 'white' neighborhoods, which was against the civil rights laws. He led a racist conspiracy theory against the first black president. He has made hundreds of ignorant (literally) statements that mangle both language and fact. And he has repeatedly tried or did accept illegal help from foreign countries in his election campaigns. And that just scratches the surface. 

And you accept and honor this fool as president of the United States?  Trump supporters should all be ashamed of themselves. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.57  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.56    4 years ago

Oh, FFS.

For five years we have had to pretend on this site and elsewhere that this is not true, because we are supposed to be polite to Trump supporters on internet forums.

CLEARLY untrue. I have read the same complaints over and over and over and over again about Trump. No one has stopped you from voicing your opinion over and over and over and over and over again. Don't you dare try to pull that crap on me.

I am ashamed of nothing. Too bad, I suppose.

You are not the moral arbitrator for America. Time to stop pretending.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.58  Bob Nelson  replied to  TTGA @1.1.53    4 years ago

"Hate"? 

Some people use the word awfully easily. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.59  bugsy  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1.58    4 years ago
Some people use the word awfully easily. 

And many others use it to justify their violence towards Trump supporters.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.60  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @1.1.52    4 years ago
Everything you described that you have partaken in expertise is liberal artsy stuff that means very little to most people.

Wow bugsy, you almost make me feel sorry for conservatives. Luckily, since some or what you call  'liberal artsy stuff' that I described was shared with be by conservatives. 

So you had some "expert" chefs cook for you. Big deal.

If you haven't I sympathize.

So you saw Stevie Wonder open for the Rolling Stones? Big whoop. I saw Sister Christian at my grad night at Disney . Does that make me a partaker in expertise in 80s hair bands or in Disney World?

If you consider Sister Christian an expert hair band, yes. 

When I mean expertise, I mean something that has actually contributed to society

If you don't think that great food, great music and great books contribute to society I'd like to know WTF you think does...

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.61  bugsy  replied to  Dulay @1.1.60    4 years ago
If you don't think that great food, great music and great books contribute to society I'd like to know WTF you think does...

The first part of your post was just babble, so I will address this part.

Never said those things did not contribute to society. I said saying you now people or watched someone open for someone else does or "contributed" to someone else's work, does not make an expert of anything. If you read it wrong, that's on you.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.62  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @1.1.61    4 years ago
The first part of your post was just babble, so I will address this part.

Which part didn't you understand, perhaps I can help. 

Never said those things did not contribute to society. I said saying you now people or watched someone open for someone else does or "contributed" to someone else's work, does not make an expert of anything. 

Nope, you said:

I believe that if a liberal would ever partake in expertise, you may have a point.

I cited multiple examples of personally partaking in expertise. Culinary expertise, musical expertise, literary expertise. By your own standard, that should prove to you that I did indeed have a point. 

Then you said:

Since you are implying that MY examples do NOT represent expertise that contributes to society, what do YOU think does? 

If you read it wrong, that's on you.

Actually bugsy, I tried to point out to you what is 'wrong' in my first reply by posting it in BOLD but it seems to have gone over your head. 

What's wrong is your use of the term 'partake in expertise' instead of 'exhibit expertise in' in your original statement. THAT'S on YOU. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.63  bugsy  replied to  Dulay @1.1.62    4 years ago

You know, Dulay, you and I have very little in common politically, but I learned something about you today that lets me show some respect for you.

I learned that you are Filipino. My wife is Filipina and we have been married for over 30 years. I am deeply immersed in the Filipino culture, and I watch A LOT of Filipino TV. I never in my life watched American soap operas, but I watch teleseryes almost religiously.

One thing I know is that Filipinos are hard working, resilient, and VERY family focused. I don't know if you were born in this country or migrated here, but I have no doubt you were brought up to be all of the above no matter where you were brought up.

I read in another thread that you lost a family member, I believe, to COVID, and I am truly sorry to hear that. I can't find the thread again but I believe it was one of your parents.

We may never agree much on politics, but to know that even though you are mostly wrong on everything politically;), you have the full Filipino guts to be strong in your convictions.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.64  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @1.1.63    4 years ago

Thanks bugsy.

My Grandfather was from Pangasinan. A more hard working family man you will never meet. The only things we disagreed on was he rooted for the Sox and I for the Cubs AND I never grew to like bitter melon. Instead of hello, my family says "Did you eat yet?"

So yes, you are right, no matter were a Filipino is raised, the culture runs deep and we are lucky that it does.

THAT is one of the reasons why I disagree with the demand for 'assimilation'. I'm proud that my grandfather lead a 'Filipino' household, though my grandmother was English. He learned to write, read and speak English, though with an accent. After he retired, he read the Chicago Sun Times cover to cover every day and never missed a ball game. He wore Barong tagalog shirts when he went out and I wore the same at my wedding. 

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.65  CB  replied to  Dulay @1.1.64    4 years ago

Hello. Interesting side-discussion. I learned some thing I did not know about you too just now! Just so you know one of my dearest and longest friends is Filipino. A smart and hard-working man (sometimes too hard working (he can 'over-book' himself I charge it to his big heart for people)) indeed. He is from one of the islands of the Philippines (I never asked him which maybe I will now). I love this dude. Good as gold through and through!

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.66  bugsy  replied to  Dulay @1.1.64    4 years ago

My wife had a brother that lived in Pangasinan for many years until he passed away a few years ago. Most of the family lives in Cavite now, but she still has 3 brothers that live in the states.

I'm OK with bitter melon. It is an acquired taste, as are many filipino dishes.  As a matter of fact, my wife's friends look at me like I'm crazy when we go to a gathering, the first thing I go for is dinuguan. If it's made right, it is one of the best dishes in the world.

We watch so much tagalog tv, my wife swears my chihuahua screams kain when one of us goes in the kitchen.

I agree with you about the assimilation thing. Most Filipinos become good, hard working American citizens, and pretty much all of them know english before they set foot in the US. However, keeping the culture is the most important thing to keep to pass on to future generations. Too many times I come across second and third generation filipinos that don't know a lick of Tagalog. That is s shame.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @1    4 years ago

According to a blockbuster report in The Atlantic, Trump didn't want to honor McCain, a veteran and Republican grandee, saying "We're not going to support that loser's funeral."

When Trump saw flags flying at half-mast for McCain, he reportedly said: "What the fuck are we doing that for? Guy was a fucking loser."

This work of fiction sounds a lot like the other fake news. I'm sure there will be more faux "blockbluster" bullshit offered in the next few weeks.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    4 years ago

I can't help that Trump is imploding over this!

The mountain of evidence is too big to deny...

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.2  CB  replied to  JBB @1.2.1    4 years ago

Trump blew up when he saw flags at half-staff for John McCain’s funeral — and called him a ‘loser’: report

mattchapmansq.gif

Published 21 hours ago on September 3, 2020 By Matthew Chapman

Angry-Trump.jpghttps://www.rawstory.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Angry-Trump-76x41.jpg 76w, 615w, 768w" sizes="(max-width: 800px) 100vw, 800px" width="800" height="430" >
Donald Trump (Photo: Gage Skidmore/Flickr)

On Thursday, The Atlantic reported that President Donald Trump lost his temper when he noticed that flags had been lowered to half-mast out of respect for Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) as he was being laid to rest — and demanded to know why the government was honoring a “f*cking loser.

Sourced:

Oops, there it is! Some Trump enablers need to stop lying for this lying, cheating, stealing president!

JBB , my friend, we need to see pieces of significance you post in order for it to be impactful. Some simply won't click on links in a timely manner. Good hand off!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.4  Split Personality  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    4 years ago

No one believed Nixon was a "potty mouth" until the tapes were released...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  Tessylo    4 years ago

One of the trumpturd supporters called it 'jumping out of his skin'.

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  Tessylo    4 years ago

118652450_3657906734231165_873849192775081808_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=d4A93C2N_VwAX8m25Lb&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=5f00d9d3fcc8a26b72b745a7d813eb4e&oe=5F75FCC1

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
5  Old Hermit    4 years ago

Another example of this Presidents contempt for the Military, a free press, the Consultation, Oh hell, even a properly functioning Democracy.

original

The Pentagon has ordered Stars and Stripes to shut down for no good reason

Even for those of us who are all too wearily familiar with President Donald Trump’s disdain for journalists, his administration’s latest attack on the free press is a bit of a jaw-dropper.

In a heretofore unpublicized recent memo, the Pentagon delivered an order to shutter Stars and Stripes, a newspaper that has been a lifeline and a voice for American troops since the Civil War. The memo orders the publisher of the news organization (which now publishes online as well as in print) to present a plan that “dissolves the Stars and Stripes” by Sept. 15   including "specific timeline for vacating government owned/leased space worldwide.”

“The last newspaper publication (in all forms) will be September 30, 2020,” writes Col. Paul Haverstick Jr., the memo’s author. 

Stars and Stripes' long history

The first Stars and Stripes rolled off presses Nov. 9, 1861 in Bloomfield, Missouri when forces headed by Ulysses Grant overran the tiny town on the way to Cape Girardeau . A group of Grant’s troops who had been pressmen before the war set up shop at a local newspaper office abandoned by its Confederate sympathizer publisher. Since then Stars and Stripes has launched the careers of famous journalists such as cartoonist Bill Mauldin and TV commentator Andy Rooney . And its independence from the Pentagon brass has been guaranteed by such distinguished military leaders at Gens. John G. Pershing, George Marshall and Dwight Eisenhower. Eisenhower once reprimanded Gen. George Patton for trying to censor Mauldin cartoons he didn’t like.

d34c0bd8-a8a2-455d-9110-1149f8ff3596-AFP_AFP_1VV2SD.jpg?width=660&height=429&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

Today Stars and Stripes is printed at sites around the world and delivered daily to troops  — even those on the front lines, where the internet is spotty or inaccessible. As the “local paper” for the military, it provides intensive and critical coverage of issues that are important to members of the nation’s armed services and “cuts through political and military brass BS talking points,” Rep. Ruben Gallego , D-Ariz., a Marine veteran, told Military.com .

It’s also arguably one of the most powerful weapons our soldiers have carried into battle with them. As a publication that’s underwritten by the military but not answerable to the brass, Stars and Stripes embodies that most American of values: the right to speak truth to power.

As if an attack on the free press were not enough, the Trump administration’s rush to shutter Stars and Stripes also raises constitutional questions.

The memo ordering the publication’s dissolution claims the administration has the authority to make this move under the president’s fiscal year 2021 defense department budget request. It zeroed out the $15.5 million annual subsidy for Stars and Stripes. But Congress, which under the Constitution has the power to make decisions about how the public’s money is spent, has not yet approved the president’s request.

In fact, the version the House approved earlier this summer explicitly overruled the decision to pull the plug on Stars and Stripes, restoring funding for the paper. 

Pushing back to keep Stars and Stripes

So far, the Senate hasn’t acted. But in a letter released earlier this week, 15 members of the chamber, including combat veteran Tammy Duckworth, D-Ill., and four Republicans, called on Defense Secretary Mark Esper to “take steps to preserve the funding prerogatives of Congress before allowing any such disruption to take place.” 

In a separate letter, Sen. Lindsey Graham, a South Carolina Republican and Trump ally, makes a similar request. “As a veteran who has served overseas, I know the value Stars and Stripes brings to its readers,” he wrote, telling Esper that shutting down the paper before the Senate acts would be “premature.” 

It also seems unusual. Normally, when Congress has failed to approve a budget for an agency at the end of a fiscal year (an all-too-common occurrence), a “continuing resolution,” maintains funding at the past year’s levels until the lawmakers act. But the Pentagon memo to Stars and Stripes demands a plan for dissolution anyway and says “the last date of the paper will be determined” once the continuing resolution expires.  

The eagerness to kill Stars and Stripes is hard to fathom. As the senators note in their letter to Esper, the $15.5 million saved by eliminating the newspaper’s subsidy would have a “negligible impact” on the Pentagon’s $700 billion budget.  

But it would have an enormously negative impact on the paper’s more than 1.3 million readers. It would eliminate a symbol of the U.S. commitment to press freedom, flout the judgment of generations of military leaders and usurp the authority that the Constitution gives Congress to make decisions about how the government spends money.

The Stars and Stripes was born in the midst of a war to decide what America stood for. Now it looks like another such battle will decide its fate.

Kathy Kiely is the Lee Hills Chair for Free Press Studies at the Missouri School of Journalism. Follow her on Twitter:  @kathykiely

2b37f2a1-d30f-45fa-9de3-798a2a3cfe5c-090420ThompsonBarrWeb.jpg?crop=1249,703,x0,y0&width=660&height=372&format=pjpg&auto=webp
logo.svg
Senators to Esper: Reverse Your Decision to Kill Stars and Stripes
mark_esper_testifies_3200.jpeg.jpg?itok=Q0sEH7xY
Defense Secretary Mark Esper testifies to the Senate Armed Services Committee about the budget, Wednesday, March 4, 2020, on Capitol Hill in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
2 Sep 2020
Military.com | By Oriana Pawlyk

A group of senators wants to reinstate funding for Stars and Stripes, the military's newspaper for service members, as the organization faces being totally defunded before the year is out.

The bipartisan group, led by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), on Wednesday sent a letter to Defense Secretary Mark Esper to preserve the "historically significant publication," which only requires "a tiny fraction" of the Defense Department's annual budget, according to the lawmakers.

"Stars and Stripes is an essential part of our nation's freedom of the press that serves the very population charged with defending that freedom," the 15 senators said in the letter. "Therefore, we respectfully request that you rescind your decision to discontinue support for Stars and Stripes and that you reinstate the funding necessary for it to continue operations."

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1  Ender  replied to  Old Hermit @5    4 years ago

What the hell?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6  Tessylo    4 years ago

So Obama committed the worst offense against the military, more horrific than calling those killed in the line of duty as losers 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @6    4 years ago

Saluting can be fun.  When I was MOS training at Ft Sam there was also training for new officers.  If you are a group, one soldier can be designated to salute for that group.  One day we saw a raw 2 Lt head for us on a 10 speed carrying a briefcase.  We spread out so that we all had to salute.  The LT didn't know that he could have just maintained his salute until he passed us. He tried to return every salute and ended up falling in the bushes.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1    4 years ago

Part of my pre-Nam training was at the language school at Monterey. (Yeah... war is hell.)

I was a newbie LT; most of the students were enlisted. (Interesting word, that... when almost all of them were drafted.)

They systematically spread out on the sidewalk, to make me return a zillion salutes. I learned the "single salute" rule pretty quickly. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.1.1    4 years ago

Seeing that my training and the new officer's training were in the same complex, one day my instructor decided to have a little fun with the permission of the other instructor.  Ten of us stormed the classroom feigning anger and we got quite vocal.  I have never seen so many deer in the headlights looks in my life.  Another saluting rule most new officers don't know that is if the officer's arms are full, they don't have to return the salute.  I am glad you said Monterey because I would feel really bad if you were the officer who fell into the bushes. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1    4 years ago

We did that at my tech school training at Brooks AFB. There were a bunch of newby LTs getting training in something and all my classmates did the same thing you did.

Gosh that was fun!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.1.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.3    4 years ago
Gosh that was fun!

NOT for the LT....    jrSmiley_32_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.3    4 years ago

It was the most fun I had since attending classes there.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.1.4    4 years ago

You got over it....and I'm sure he did, too. LOL!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.5    4 years ago

I thought Fort Sam was a pretty nice place. Mr Giggles went there for an operation and we stayed in some really nice quarters

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.1.8  Bob Nelson  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.6    4 years ago

Actually... going to the Army Language School at Monterey was not the toughest assignment I had in my short military career. Apartment just above Fisherman's Wharf... 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.1.8    4 years ago

I had a friend who went to the same school because she went from Military Public Health to being a translator.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.1.10  Bob Nelson  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.9    4 years ago

Typical Army... I learned some Vietnamese, and then when I arrived on my hilltop west of Tam Ky... I was immediately assigned a translator.

Tuan spoke English way better than I spoke Vietnamese, so... 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7  bbl-1    4 years ago

Trump has many reasons to be afraid and sweaty. 

1.  He wears a girdle.

2.  His financials will reveal he is 'broke arse' and has been on the float for over two decades---mainly propped by foreign money whose sources are questionable.

3.  When losing the 'protections' of his office and position, himself personally and his businesses will be greeted by an avalanche of lawsuits, subpoenas and external threats.

4.  The man will truly be naked.  His life will become the most transparent in history.

I personally wish him luck in these adverse conditions although he deserves nothing and will receive even less.  The friends he believes he has will vanish as they seek their own legal and personal protections.  

Gsquared
Professor Principal
7.1  Gsquared  replied to  bbl-1 @7    4 years ago

I don't wish him luck.  I'm not that magnanimous, especially for someone who has caused as much damage as he has.  My wish is that he faces justice as  appropriate and that history accurately records his many transgressions.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Gsquared @7.1    4 years ago

Me either.  He does not deserve it.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.1.2  bbl-1  replied to  Gsquared @7.1    4 years ago

Luck has many angles.  Many of them not angelic.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  bbl-1 @7    4 years ago
The man will truly be naked

I so do not need that visual.  Pass the eye bleach please.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.2.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.2    4 years ago

OldfashionedMeatyCanary-max-1mb.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.2.1    4 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.2.3  bbl-1  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.2    4 years ago

"Don't need the visual?"  Why?  Afraid to see the MAGA Man in his 'perfect glory'? 

Wonder how Melania and Ivanka handles it?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.2.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  bbl-1 @7.2.3    4 years ago

She sleeps with Prince Valium. (Beetlejuice).

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.2.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  bbl-1 @7.2.3    4 years ago

A fat sweaty fat man with moobs is not my idea of perfection.  But that's me.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.2.6  Raven Wing  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.2.5    4 years ago

I doubt it's Melania's either, but, she loves the money and supreme fame she has being married to him. But, that may all go away one he leaves the WH, and so will she.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8  XXJefferson51    4 years ago

One can totally question anything The Atlantic says now. 

what a bunch of sore losers they are.  

Dulay
Professor Expert
8.1  Dulay  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8    4 years ago

Are you lost Xx?

Your post has NOTHING to do with this seed so why are you posting your off topic crap here?