╌>

Latest Defense Of Trump ------ He Doesnt Hate Our Troops, He Just Sounds Like An Asshole Sometimes

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  34 comments

Latest Defense Of Trump ------  He Doesnt Hate Our Troops, He Just Sounds Like An Asshole Sometimes
"he can sound like an asshole sometimes”

Well, we're making progress. 

They still idolize him, but at least a few of them are willing to say Trump is embarrassing, human being wise. 

“The president means no disrespect to our troops; it’s just that the way he speaks, he can sound like an asshole sometimes”

Is it going to work? ....... Nah. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago

After   The Atlantic   reported on Thursday that Donald Trump had privately trashed American war dead as   “suckers” and “losers,”   the White House, the president’s 2020 campaign, and a broad array of Trump loyalists activated to aggressively denounce the report as fictitious and absurd. 

In The Daily Beast’s interviews with   eleven senior administration officials, Trump aides, Republican operatives, and former and current friends of the president,   several of them   mounted a curious defense of Trump. Yes, they admitted, the commander in chief at times makes callous, tone-deaf comments about American military personnel behind closed doors. But it’s because he hates the wars they’re forced to fight, not the service members themselves.

“The president means no disrespect to our troops; it’s just that the way he speaks, he can sound like an asshole sometimes,” one of these sources, a current senior administration official, told The Daily Beast. “That’s how he is [when the cameras are off]…It’s his style.”

Some of these sources defending President Trump and pushing back on   The Atlantic ’s story agreed to go on the record. Others would only speak on-background and in an anonymous capacity—even after the White House trashed the magazine for relying on such nameless sources. (The president on Friday afternoon called the story a “ hoax, ” even though the Associated Press and Fox News had confirmed key details of the original piece.)

Some of these individuals close to the president did concede there was one part of   Atlantic   editor Jeffrey Goldberg’s article that rang true to them: the anecdote about Trump joining John Kelly, his former White House chief of staff, on a visit to the grave of Kelly’s son Robert—who was killed in the war in Afghanistan—and coldly asking Kelly, “I don’t get it. What was in it for them?”

Three people with direct knowledge of the president’s private remarks in the past three years about Robert Kelly, as well as other Americans who’ve died in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, said that Trump had made similar-sounding comments to them, too. This included the president mentioning that their service in these war zones was a “waste,” or that U.S. military personnel in these conflicts had “died for nothing,” or that the fallen “should have been doing something else.”

However, these sources, who would only speak on the condition of anonymity,   all independently insisted that Trump was not disrespecting the U.S. war dead: He was merely stating a belief that they should not have been sent overseas to fight and die in these wars in the first place. Each said that the president often has a brash, ill-mannered way of talking that can obscure what they   believe   to be his intended message, especially in moments when Trump is trying to convey sympathy or empathy.

The White House did not respond to a request for comment on this story by Friday evening.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

Oh, come on.  That'll be the frosty day in Hell that an NT Trump supporter will even HINT that their lord and master can say or do anything wrong.  He belongs in a cesspool, and his followers are fighting for the opportunity to jump in with him. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Just what we've always wanted, an asshole running the country. 

I think we are living in a Mad Magazine simulated reality. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3  TᵢG    4 years ago

If one is supporting Biden, it is a good thing if Trump supporters defend Trump by admitting he is an asshole.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @3    4 years ago

Sure, he's an asshole at times, but he's our asshole. We are well aware of his faults and foibles and accept the fact that he is not a perfect person

I distinctly remember Clinton declaring that he "loathed" the military, and Hillary treating military people badly

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1    4 years ago

He's your asshole. The majority of Americans dont accept him at all. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

his included the president mentioning that their service in these war zones was a “waste,” or that U.S. military personnel in these conflicts had “died for nothing,” or that the fallen “should have been doing something else.

Aren't those standard left wing talking points?  I can't tell you how many times I've heard them over the last 20 years from those opposed to intervention in Iraq and Afghanistan.  Actually, it goes back to Nam, at least. Maybe Korea too. 

I'll bet a lot of the people who pretend to be shocked by these words have said or written  pretty much the exact same thing. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    4 years ago

Donald Trump's father threatened to disown the other son Fred Jr. if he joined the military.  Belief that members of the military are suckers was drummed into the Trump family long long ago.  If he wasnt an asshole Donald would be able to keep it under his hat. Thats all this is. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    4 years ago

elief that members of the military are suckers was drummed into the Trump family long long ago

Are you agreeing or disagreeing that those sentiments attributed to Trump are pretty much standard fare on the left?

elief that members of the military are suckers was drummed into the Trump family long long ago

Sounds like how Joe Kennedy treated his kids. I guess the difference is Joe decided his kids would have to serve if they wanted to fulfill his dream of them becoming President, while Trump Sr wasn't planning political futures for his kids. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.1    4 years ago

Do you have anything other than whataboutism to bring to the table?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.2    4 years ago
Do you have anything other than whataboutism to bring to the table?

Can you ever answer a simple question? 

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1.4  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.2    4 years ago

John, Let me ask you something that maybe you can give an honest answer.

If, during the Obama years, specifically 2010, a right leaning publication got wind that Obama absolutely despised the military, used anonymous sources, and did not publish the story until right before the 2012 election, would you believe the story?

Be honest with your answer, if you even answer it.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.2  Dulay  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    4 years ago
Aren't those standard left wing talking points? 

No.

Maybe Korea too.

Gee I thought I was old Sean. My daddy was too young to serve in Korea. You must be ancient if you heard that...

I'll bet a lot of the people who pretend to be shocked by these words have said or written  pretty much the exact same thing. 

I'll cover that bet. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Dulay @4.2    4 years ago

I remember one time when my 1st Sgt offered a special detail instead of a 5 mile hike to anyone who would volunteer.  I knew what the detail was and it was way more effort than a hike.  When two of my friends volunteered, I thought "Suckers!" which is not the same as this pos draftdoging Big Mac eating ahole calling us all suckers for being in the military.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Dulay @4.2    4 years ago
My daddy was too young to serve in Korea. You must be ancient if you heard that...

Are you unfamiliar with the word maybe? 

I'll cover that bet. 

[deleted]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.2.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.2.1    4 years ago
When two of my friends volunteered, I thought "Suckers!" which is not the same as this pos draftdoging Big Mac eating ahole calling us all suckers for being in the military.

That's not what he said. He said it was a waste of life. 

Here's  liberal journalist Ryan Cooper from  just last year:. "The Iraq invasion did not destroy the U.S., of course, but it was an absolutely senseless waste of lives and resources." 

Remind me if anyone on the left attacked him for saying that? Were there boycotts? Was he "cancelled?"

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.2.4  Dulay  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.2.2    4 years ago
Are you unfamiliar with the word maybe? 

Well did you or didn't you hear it Sean? One would think that you'd remember something like that...

Well, that bet would require honest answers from left wingers and we both know that would never happen. 

You mean you bet without knowing the odds? 

Ya know Sean, right wingers don't have a lock on honesty. That is abundantly clear from the posts made by them right here on NT.  

Flushing yesterday's arguments down the memory hole is how the contemporary left works. 

Projection. 

Remember how the left used to be against government spying on citizens when Bush was President?

Why yes, YES I do. I also remember when the GOP was too. 

Or, let me guess, that never happened either. 

Oh it happened, James Comey testified to that fact to Congress. Those were the days when the GOP admitted that Comey was a Republican. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.3  bugsy  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    4 years ago
Actually, it goes back to Nam, at least

It was liberals that spit on our troops coming home and called them baby killers. [Deleted]

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     4 years ago

Not only does he sound like an asshole, but he also acts like an asshole, speaks like an asshole, and gasp, is an asshole.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Kavika @5    4 years ago
Not only does he sound like an asshole, but he also acts like an asshole, speaks like an asshole, and gasp, is an asshole.

And by defending him his sycophantic supporters prove their heads are firmly stuffed up that asshole.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.2  bbl-1  replied to  Kavika @5    4 years ago

Worse yet, 'he' might be a Russian agent.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  bbl-1 @5.2    4 years ago

He was a Manchurian candidate, that is for sure.

Ender
Professor Principal
6  Ender    4 years ago

So far his remarks seem to be confirmed by the Associated Press, The Washington Post, and even on Fox news.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7  bbl-1    4 years ago

No big deal.  The Trumpers might have a leg to stand on.  After all, Karen McDougal said ( he ) couldn't finish.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago
1/9 I am a veteran. I volunteered for military service during wartime. So did my father. His generation saved the world from fascism.  pic.twitter.com/0tWKdMYDKs — Sully Sullenberger (@Captsully)  September 4, 2020

But then after noting “I have always tried to be a voice fo reason and to speak in a measured way,” Sullenberger lays into the president, saying “It is time to call out egregious behavior for what it is.”

“For the first time in American history, a president has repeatedly shown utter and vulgar contempt and disrespect for those who have served and died serving out country,” Sullenberger wrote. “While I am not surprised, I am disgusted by the current occupant of the Oval Office. He has repeatedly and consistently shown himself to be completely unfit for and to have no respect for the office he holds.”

plane-1-jumbo.jpg

Gsquared
Professor Principal
8.1  Gsquared  replied to  JohnRussell @8    4 years ago

Sully is a true American patriot and hero.  I am so pleased that he is speaking out.  The country has been through a lot.  Hopefully, we are looking at the end of the evil, corrupt Trump regime.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
8.1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Gsquared @8.1    4 years ago

Two thirds of the country are on the edge of our seats just hoping our plane lands safely after it ran into a flock of Trump... The other third is hoping the plane crashes and burns because that would really piss off the liberals and the coastal elites in first class even though coach will burn right along with them.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Gsquared  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @8.1.1    4 years ago

That's a good description of what we are up against as a country.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Gsquared @8.1    4 years ago

There is video from the plane's front camera where you can actually follow the plane going into the water.  It gave me chills the time I viewed it.  Sully is a true hero and Trump basically called him a sucker and a loser for his service.  I am sure that Trump only likes pilots who don't land a plane in the water without the loss of one life.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
8.1.4  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.1.3    4 years ago
I am sure that Trump only likes pilots who don't land a plane in the water without the loss of one life.

I can hear it now:  Any pilot who has to land their plane in the Hudson River is a loser.  And those passengers were all suckers for flying US Air.  And that flock of geese?  How stupid were they for flying into the path of an oncoming commercial aircraft...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1.5  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @8.1.4    4 years ago
So while Trump cheers on ragtag groups of heavily armed civilians garbed in make-believe camo uniforms and Kevlar helmets and other surplus gear like bulletproof vests and pretend “tactical” gloves, the real soldiers wearing government-issued uniforms, carrying government-issued rifles, serving in harm’s way overseas, risking their lives for their country — they are Trump’s “losers” and “suckers.”

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Gsquared @8.1    4 years ago

I loved when the co pilot was asked if would do anything different and he said "Yes. I would do it in July."

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
9  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    4 years ago

Dump Trump 2020.