╌>

Florida city repeals 13-year ban on saggy pants

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  freefaller  •  4 years ago  •  10 comments

Florida city repeals 13-year ban on saggy pants

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

OPA-LOCKA, Fla. — After 13 years, a South Florida city has overturned a ban on “saggy pants” — bottoms that reveal the wearer's underwear.

The Opa-locka City Commission voted Wednesday on a 4-1 vote to repeal both the original 2007 legislation and a 2013 ordinance that said women, not just men, could receive civil citations for wearing pants that exposed their undergarments.

The Miami Herald reports that the vote was a first reading of the repeal, meaning it will need to be approved again at a subsequent commission meeting before it’s official. But the item was co-sponsored by four of the five commissioners.

Around the city, which is northeast of Miami, signs still warn folks of the ordinance. They showing an image of two young men wearing pants below their waists and featuring the words: “No ifs, ands or butts ... It’s the city law!”

“I was never in support of it, even as a resident,” Vice Mayor Chris Davis, who sponsored the repeal, told the Miami Herald. “I felt it disproportionately affected a certain segment of our population, which is young, African-American men.”

When the ordinance was first passed, the ACLU of Florida called it a “ridiculous waste of public resources,” saying it would “impose overly harsh penalties for victimless behaviour” and disproportionately affect Black youths.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Freefaller    4 years ago

Lol seems like a pretty stupid law to make in the first, I suspect there would have been a big legal challenge if it was ever used.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    4 years ago

It might be legal, but it's still stupid.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Tacos! @2    4 years ago

You'll get no argument from me on that

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Freefaller @2.1    4 years ago

It seems to me that the way to get people to stop doing it (a worthy goal) is not to outlaw it, but to laugh at them. They think it makes them look cool. When they finally accept that it makes them look ridiculous, they'll start pulling their pants up.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.1    4 years ago

It may have already worked, I don't see a lot of that particular fashion trend anymore anyway.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
3  Mark in Wyoming     4 years ago

i bet they still have an indecent exposure ordinance though.

I dont know why this made me think of the following , but i will share .

a number of years ago , the family and myself went to a local beach for an afternoon of fun and relaxation . i was sitting by my now ex wife whom has a genetic disposition to burn very quickly in the sun , so she was take all the proper precautions not to burn too badly , I was engaged in people watching  and watching the kids have fun in the water , as well as watching other going up and down the beach .

i was remembering the times before we started our family and the years before about going to the beach and how beach apparel had changed just in that short time .

the wife was busy reading one of her magazines when i commented on the subject of how beachwear had changed , she looked over what she was reading , looked at the people and said it had not really changed all that much from when we were younger . 

out of the blue for no reason i asked her , you know how you can tell a blind man at a nudist colony? she looked at me funny didnt say a word , i then said , its not hard . she looked at me shocked , looked at my groin then proceeded to beat the hell out of me with the magazine .

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @3    4 years ago
i bet they still have an indecent exposure ordinance though

Most places do so that's a safe assumption, but if you're only showing underwear under the droopy pants you're probably safe.

Funny story