╌>

What's Your Favourite......Whatever?

Category:  Other

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  4 years ago  •  70 comments

What's Your Favourite......Whatever?

We've had lots of "What's your favourite...." articles, and they're usually fun and reading everyone's comments can be interesting, and help us to know each other better.   There seem to be innumerable topics - automobiles, songs, books, beer, breakfast, cheese, house, etc etc etc.   But they are only interesting if the answer includes WHY.   Sure you can answer, say "Coors" but so what?  Why Coors rather than Heinekin or Molson?  I've decided to ask you a couple of more unusual ones, maybe to get you thinkng about something you've never thought about before, and if the answer does not post a reason for your choice, what good it it? 

1.   What is your favourite number?

My answer to that is a tie betwen two numbers:  8 and 18.   Why 8?   8 is considered a lucky number in China, and tipped on its side it is 'infinity:' i.e that which goes on forever so it could stand for longevity.  Why 18?  In the Hebrew alphabet, the 18th letter is 'chai' (the ch is pronounced like the ch in Rachmaninoff and the 'ai" as the word 'eye'). The word 'chai' is translated to English as 'life", and you may already know that when Jewish people drink a toast they say "L'chayim", which means "To life". 

2.   What is your favourite letter of the English alphabet?

My choice is Z.  Why Z?  Well I've got two of them in my nickname, and there is something unusual about it because it is the only letter called by a different name in American Englsh - zee, than it is in British (and Canadian) English - zed

So think about it.  Come up with a choice of number and a choice of letter, but don't bother posting if you can't give a reason why you made those choices.  

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

So think about it.  Come up with a choice of number and a choice of letter, but don't bother posting if you can't give a reason why you made those choices.  

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
2  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    4 years ago

Favorite number(s): 3 and 33 because they were my jersey numbers during my days playing city softball.

Favorite letter: M because it's the center letter of the alphabet and it's the first letter of my maiden name. That family name was only changed when my grandfather went into the Navy and they transposed two of the letters; he just left it that way. The name had been the same as long as I can trace... back to France and Belgium.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
3  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    4 years ago

P.S. - Glad you've enjoyed the fun articles. jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @3    4 years ago

I always do.  But it looks like this one is a little too intellectual for most, so I guess it isn't considered fun.  It's not as easy as "What's your favourite colour?"

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    4 years ago

I spoke too soon.  A bunch of intelligent members have now posted. 

GregTx
PhD Guide
4  GregTx    4 years ago

My favorite number would be 5, no particular reason other than it shows up so much in my life.

My favorite letter would be G for a fairly obvious reason but also because it's in so many good words and names.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  GregTx @4    4 years ago

I’ll go with 7 as the perfect number and I will go with J as it’s part of my nickname and the first letter in our savior Jesus name.  

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6  Gsquared    4 years ago

My favorite number for infinite reasons:  72

As of today, I think my favorite letter is probably "U" because we don't use it in favorite or color.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Gsquared @6    4 years ago

LOL

Webster was right, why should Americans use words that are difficult to spell?

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Gsquared  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1    4 years ago

We use this word all the time:  pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Gsquared @6.1.1    4 years ago

Let's not leave everyone in the dark - here's a dictionary definition:

"an obscure term ostensibly referring to a lung disease caused by silica dust, sometimes cited as one of the longest words in the English language."

When we were in Wales, we drove west from Ruthin where we ate a meal at a a Medieval Christmas banquet served by wenches, listende to harp music, drank mead and used only a dagger and a spoon in Ruthin Castle, to the coast to tour Carvaervon Castle, and then north to the town with the longest name in GB, abbreviated to Llanfair P.G. to buy a rail ticket so named as a souvenir.

From the internet: 

"a  village  in NW Wales, in SE  Anglesey reputed  to be the longest place name in Great Britain when  unabbreviated ; means: St Mary's Church in the  hollow  of the white  hazel  near the  rapid   whirlpool  of Llandysilio of the red  cave Full name Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch"

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Gsquared  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.2    4 years ago

Is that one where the challenge is "Say that word 10 times really fast"?

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
6.1.4  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Gsquared @6.1.1    4 years ago
pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

This one, I can break down and say and understand what it is, for the most part.

pneumono = respiratory

ultra = extremely

microscopic = small

silico = media causing issue

volcano coniosis = arising illness

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Not so much. jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Gsquared  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @6.1.4    4 years ago
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Considering how place names in the U.K. are often pronounced so differently than the spelling would otherwise indicate, that one is probably pronounced "Bob". 

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
6.1.6  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Gsquared @6.1.5    4 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.7  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Gsquared @6.1.5    4 years ago

What word is usually pronounced "Wooster"?

GregTx
PhD Guide
6.1.8  GregTx  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.7    4 years ago

I've gotten into more disagreements over the pronunciation of that than any other word and that's coming from a southerner who uses words like ain't and fidd'n.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6.1.9  Gsquared  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.7    4 years ago

Worcester

It makes perfect sense.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7  JohnRussell    4 years ago

My letter is Q because all the words that start with Q seem to be important - quiet, quote, quiz, quibble, quest, queen .........

My number is 649 . It is the letters of my name expressed according to numerology.  I don't believe in numerology, but I made it my lucky number anyway. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @7    4 years ago

....quick, quantum, queer, quack, quart, quarter, etc etc

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  Kavika     4 years ago

My number is 39 because it keeps me ''Forever Young''.

My letter (s) is M and N...the first letters of my favorite expression, moosh noosh. Translation, dumb ass.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
8.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Kavika @8    4 years ago
moosh noosh

I'll have to remember that one! jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Gsquared
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Gsquared  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @8.1    4 years ago
moosh noosh

Kavika taught me that one a couple of weeks ago.  It's my favorite new phrase.  

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
9  MonsterMash    4 years ago

Favorite number 17. I met my wife on the 17th of May, we were married 26 months later on the 17th of July. Three of our four sons were born on the 17th of different months

My favorite letter is K. My wife's name was Kathy (died in 2010), my son's names are Kenny, Kyle, Kevin, and Keith and the all have middle names starting with an R.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MonsterMash @9    4 years ago
"I met my wife on the 17th of May, we were married 26 months later on the 17th of July. Three of our four sons were born on the 17th of different months"

Fantastic coincidence!!!

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
9.1.1  MonsterMash  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1    4 years ago
Fantastic coincidence!!

Yes it is, my 3rd son messed it up he was born on the 14th

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
9.1.2  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  MonsterMash @9.1.1    4 years ago

14th of what?

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
9.1.3  MonsterMash  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @9.1.2    4 years ago

February

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
9.1.4  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  MonsterMash @9.1.3    4 years ago

I would've laughed hard if you'd have said January... My birthday is Jan. 14.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
9.1.5  MonsterMash  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @9.1.4    4 years ago
I would've laughed hard if you'd have said January... My birthday is Jan. 14.

My birthday is on the 13th of January.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.6  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MonsterMash @9.1.3    4 years ago

A good way to age only a quarter as fast as most people is to be born on the 29th of February.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
9.1.7  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1.6    4 years ago

That's my oldest step brother's birthday and my sis in law's birthday.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
9.2  Raven Wing  replied to  MonsterMash @9    4 years ago
Kathy (died in 2010)

So very sorry for the loss of your dear wife, Monster. jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
9.2.1  MonsterMash  replied to  Raven Wing @9.2    4 years ago
So very sorry for the loss of your dear wife, Monster.

Thanks, it was a good 40-year marriage.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
9.2.3  Raven Wing  replied to  MonsterMash @9.2.1    4 years ago
Thanks, it was a good 40-year marriage.

It really is so hard to lose someone who has been a part of you heart for so long, and one can never really say good bye. And I very sure that you made her very happy during the many years she shared your life. That is what really counts. (smile)

charger 383
Professor Silent
10  charger 383    4 years ago

J-611 and 440  

J is the class designation and 611 is the road number of my favorite steam locomotive 

440 is my favorite Dodge and Plymouth motor  ( I go by Charger 383 because back then I had just bought my Charger with a    383 motor and need a handle with numbers and letters that I could remember, unfortunately  the 383 was not rebuilt right          and a 440 6Pack  replaced it

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  charger 383 @10    4 years ago

Beyond my scope of experience.  I only got as far as knowing where to take my cars to be fixed.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
10.2  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  charger 383 @10    4 years ago

440 was a damn good motor!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
12  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

My favorite number is 2 since one is the loneliness number and because I have twins. 

My favorite letter is A, since what can be better than an A other than an A+

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
12.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12    4 years ago

A++

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
14  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

I like the letter P because you can make all kinds of slang words with it.

favorite number is 13 because it's supposed to be unlucky but I don't think it is

Gsquared
Professor Principal
14.1  Gsquared  replied to  Trout Giggles @14    4 years ago

I like the letter P, also.  It is a great letter, especially because it is often silent.   For example, the P is silent in shower...

(Sorry, I couldn't help it.  It's one of my father's old jokes.)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
14.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gsquared @14.1    4 years ago

ppphhhhffffttttt......

see? the p is silent there, too

(it's a good joke, G. Needed the laugh this morning)

Gsquared
Professor Principal
14.1.2  Gsquared  replied to  Trout Giggles @14.1.1    4 years ago

Ha!  Glad I could make you laugh.  My father had a whole bunch of very corny jokes.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
15  Vic Eldred    4 years ago

Favorite number - 11.  My parents were married on what is known as an anniversary of "Armistice Day", 11/11/1945.  The house number on the street where I grew up was # 11.  I once won a minor football pool with the number 11.  It has some meaning for me.

Favorite letter - D  first letter of the name Donna. It's a beautiful name in it's own way - It is of Italian origin, and the meaning of Donna is "lady". The original meaning is closer to "lady of the home". 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
15.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @15    4 years ago

I owned a house with the number 11 for almost 20 years.  I think you really like the letter D because it stands for a certaIn man's name but I don't want to get into politics here. LOL

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
15.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @15.1    4 years ago

Would the man's name be the masculine version of Donna?

In that case you would be wrong. I find the name Donna to be something special. I like the sound and the meaning.

Veronica
Professor Guide
16  Veronica    4 years ago

Favorite number is 13.  Mainly because many people think it is bad luck so I thought it needed me.  jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

I don't have a favorite letter.  I think they all are great & make up glorious words that make up awesome books.

Ender
Professor Principal
16.1  Ender  replied to  Veronica @16    4 years ago

I was born on the 13th so I am partial to it.  : )

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
17  Raven Wing    4 years ago

My favorite letter is H

My favorite number is 30

H is for Halloween, as it is my favorite month of the year is October. My favorite number is 30, as I was born on the 30th of October.

And every year I got to celebrate my birthday on Halloween, and we had a big costume party where everyone came in their Halloween costumes, and after a cookout dinner, we all went Trick-or-Treating as a group. When we returned from T&T we had cake and ice cream. 

Then we all sat around and swapped our loot with each other, things we didn't like we swapped with someone else who didn't like something they got. My Mother used to referee the swapping game. (big grin)

pat wilson
Professor Participates
18  pat wilson    4 years ago

My favorite number is 9. My birthday is 09/09 and my year adds up to 9.

And what Veronica said about letters.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
19  Ed-NavDoc    4 years ago

My favorite city is Christchurch, New Zealand. A incredible city with so much to see and do. It has some of the friendliest people I have ever met. The best part is that they are non judgemental of everyday Americans who have the privilege of visiting their fantastic country. If I were ever to emigrate to another country, New Zealand would be the top of the list!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
19.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @19    4 years ago

LOL..  I guess I deserved that because of the title I posted.   But, did you read the article itself?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
19.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @19.1    4 years ago

Okay, my favorite number is 13. That is the day I was born on. And it was also on a Friday!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
19.1.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @19.1.1    4 years ago

deleted SP

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
19.1.3  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @19.1.1    4 years ago

By the way, I meant that as a joke, not a poke, and if I could delete it I would. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
19.1.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @19.1.2    4 years ago

Actually, my mother considered it quite a lucky event as I was not even supposed to happen!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
19.1.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @19.1.3    4 years ago

Not a problem Sir.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
19.2  pat wilson  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @19    4 years ago

Are people allowed to emigrate there ?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
19.2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  pat wilson @19.2    4 years ago

Yes they are, but they have strict rules governing so. You have to be under 60 I believe and/or have a confirmed valid job offer waiting for you or pretty much be independently wealthy if you are retired so as not to be a drain on the country's social welfare system. These were the rules when I was stationed there with the U.S. Navy in 1989/90. I doubt it has changed much.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
19.2.2  pat wilson  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @19.2.1    4 years ago

Those are strict rules.

NZ is on my travel bucket list though, I'd love to visit there.