╌>

Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine enters Phase 3 trial in U.S.

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  43 comments

By:   Erika Edwards

Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine enters Phase 3 trial in U.S.
A Covid vaccine candidate from Johnson & Johnson enters Phase 3 trials in the U.S., following Moderna and Pfizer. When will we have a coronavirus vaccine?

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A fourth Covid-19 vaccine candidate has gone into the final stage of clinical trials in the U.S., with Johnson & Johnson announcing the start of its Phase 3 trial Wednesday.

The drugmaker follows Pfizer and Moderna, whose Phase 3 trials began in late July. AstraZeneca also started its Phase 3 vaccine trial this month, but it remains on pause in the U.S. after a participant in the U.K. was reported to have developed a spinal cord injury.

The Johnson & Johnson trial is not expected to yield preliminary results for at least two months.

tdy_health_9a_torres_coronavirus_vaccine_200922_1920x1080.focal-760x428.jpg

How do vaccines get approved for mass distribution? Doctors explain

President Donald Trump has repeatedly pressed for faster work on vaccine research — even suggesting that there could be some kind of approval before the Nov. 3 election. That timeline would be impossible, at least for Johnson & Johnson, whose interim results are not expected until late November at the earliest.

Johnson & Johnson's vaccine candidate, which is being developed in partnership with Janssen Pharmaceuticals, differs in several ways from the others that have reached the final stage of trials.

Unlike Pfizer's and Moderna's vaccines — which require two doses about a month apart — the Johnson & Johnson vaccine can be administered fully in one dose, avoiding the complicated coordination to require that people return in time for the second dose.

In addition, the Johnson & Johnson vaccine requires basic refrigeration for storage. Pfizer's vaccine must be stored at minus 94 degrees Fahrenheit. (For comparison, that's colder than the South Pole's average winter temperature: minus 76 degrees.)

Moderna has aimed to enroll 30,000 participants, and Pfizer expects to sign up 44,000 in U.S. Phase 3 trials. Johnson & Johnson's enrollment will be much larger, aiming for 60,000 people.

The larger study is "notable and commendable," said Dr. Gregory Poland, an infectious diseases expert who directs the Mayo Clinic's Vaccine Research Group in Rochester, Minnesota. He said a single dose of vaccine in a pandemic provides an opportunity to fully vaccinate more people more quickly.

The Johnson & Johnson vaccine was made using a technique used in previous vaccines, including the one the company developed for the Ebola virus. It combines genetic material from SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes Covid-19) with an adenovirus, which causes the common cold but has been genetically altered to be harmless in this case.

Using the genetic material from the coronavirus, the disarmed adenovirus is able to teach the immune system to generate antibodies to attack SARS-CoV-2's spike protein, which is what allows the virus to enter human cells.

The accelerated efforts to find a safe and effective Covid-19 vaccine are part of Operation Warp Speed under the departments of Defense and Health and Human Services. The Johnson & Johnson vaccine trials are sponsored in part by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

nn_tco_covid_vaccine_testimony_200923_1920x1080.focal-760x428.jpg

Nation's top doctors testify in Senate hearing on coronavirus response

The agency's director, Dr. Anthony Fauci, called the latest vaccine trial launch a "very important advance" during a call with journalists Tuesday. He attributed the speed of the vaccine's research and development to longtime working partnerships among NIAID, Johnson & Johnson and Janssen.

"These things don't just happen overnight. What you're seeing now is the result of the fruitful relationships that have been developed over literally several years," Fauci said.

The Food and Drug Administration has said an effective vaccine needs to protect at least 50 percent of people to be considered effective. Companies are working toward a higher percentage, at 60 percent.

That is key for scientists to determine whether a vaccine is working. Investigators need to log 154 infections, or "events," among study participants to see whether more of the infections were in the groups getting the actual vaccine or a placebo shot.

"From the statistical construction of the trial, in order to get to an efficiency target of 60 percent, you would need 154 events. Now, it could be that you have a much more effective vaccine" than 60 percent, Fauci said. "We're hoping that that's actually the case."

The first shots are expected to be administered Wednesday. Johnson & Johnson's chief scientific officer, Dr. Paul Stoffels, said the company is targeting "high-risk areas and specific populations" that are at greater risk for infection and complications of the virus.

A diverse study group is key for safety and efficacy, said Poland, who is not involved with the Johnson & Johnson trial.

"It's fine to tell me that in healthy 18- to 55-year-old that the vaccine was safe and 70 percent effective, for example," he said. "But also tell me what it would be in grade school kids. Tell me what it will be in pregnant women, in people 75 or 80 and older with diabetes and obesity."

A varied study population is necessary to figure out who should or should not get a vaccine. "You don't just complete the trial and say, 'Well, nobody died,'" Poland said. "You want to carefully analyze and parse the data to say, 'Are there any surprises here?'"

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1  Bob Nelson    4 years ago

So... we may have a partially effective (60%) vaccine early in 2021.

Should we rejoice? 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1  Gordy327  replied to  Bob Nelson @1    4 years ago

We can rejoice 60%. Not a full rejoicing. But maybe a little more than half rejoicing. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1    4 years ago

I have a bad heart. I am a "person at risk". This crap is giving me a 60% shot at living?

That doesn't really thrill me....

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1    4 years ago

I'll take 60%. Shoot, we have flu shots that are only 35% effective some years

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1.1    4 years ago

I don't think anyone will force you to take it if the odds and science aren't to your liking.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.4  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.2    4 years ago

Still better than nothing.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.5  Bob Nelson  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.4    4 years ago

Keep in mind that vaccines usually give you the disease... in attenuated form. I'll wait for confirmation.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.4    4 years ago

Absolutely. I will get my flu shot every year even if they tell me it's 0.01% effective. Not that I have a choice. I have to get a flu shot where I work

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.7  Gordy327  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1.1    4 years ago

60% is better than 0%.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.8  TᵢG  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1.1    4 years ago
This crap is giving me a 60% shot at living?

Your comment reads as though you would have a 40% chance of dying if you took the vaccine.   Is that what you meant to connote?

Seems to me that if one takes the vaccine, one reduces the likelihood of getting infected if exposed from 100% to 40% (assuming one has no natural immunity, etc.).

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.9  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.8    4 years ago

I don't know. All vaccines have some side effects. These are being fast-tracked awfully powerfully.

It should work as you say... but all the hype worries me. Covid would very likely be fatal to me, so the idea of having it injected, even, in attenuated form... kinda bothers me...

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.10  TᵢG  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1.9    4 years ago

You did not mention side-effects.   I agree, I would be very cautious based on the side-effects once we know what they might be.

Covid would very likely be fatal to me, so the idea of having it injected, even, in attenuated form... kinda bothers me...

That depends on the biochemistry of the vaccine.   I fully agree with checking out the empirical results of the vaccine.   If people are acquiring active COVID-19 due strictly to the vaccine I certainly would opt out of taking it.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.11  Gordy327  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1.5    4 years ago

Attenuated vaccines give you a "live" form if the virus. But they are usually non-virulent or highly weakened. Another type of vaccine are inactivated, "dead" vaccines, which do not contain the live virus.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.12  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.6    4 years ago

I got mine already.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.13  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.12    4 years ago

I get mine in 2 weeks. They schedule us.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.11    4 years ago

I hope they can develop a covid vaccine from a "dead" virus. They're gonna want high risk people to get this shot and an attenuated virus could turn out to be deadly for some

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.15  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.14    4 years ago
I hope they can develop a covid vaccine from a "dead" virus.

That would be good. But it would also require booster shots to remain effective. 

They're gonna want high risk people to get this shot and an attenuated virus could turn out to be deadly for some

It's possible. Certainly more study is warranted when the vaccine is released to determine its effectiveness and potential side effects. But it might also be indicated for high risk populations, much like the pneumonia and flu vaccines are for the elderly or those at high risk of exposure.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2  TᵢG  replied to  Bob Nelson @1    4 years ago

Progress is good.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2  Greg Jones    4 years ago
MC-Covid_Vaccine_Politics_web20200922113029.jpg

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Greg Jones @2    4 years ago

Don't worry. It won't be available until probably some time next spring

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Greg Jones @2    4 years ago

That is such crap, Greg. 

No one is trying to postpone the vaccine. You know that.

Trump may be trying to put it on the market before anyone knows if it is worthwhile...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

I got a letter from one of the hospitals here to volunteer for the trials. They pay money!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Trout Giggles @3    4 years ago

I hope you are not a "person at risk"...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Bob Nelson @3.1    4 years ago

Hmmmm.....I'm old, fat, and a smoker. Any risk there?

Anyway...Mr Giggles has forbidden me to participate in any of these trials.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.1    4 years ago

Mr. Giggles is right. You are at high risk. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.2    4 years ago

Well, I didn't really need that 25 bucks anyway

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.3    4 years ago

Someone at the hospital where I work, the Radiology Coordinator, I spoke with the other day and he said he wasn't going to get a vaccine.  It shocks me when intelligent people, who should know better, flat out admit that they won't get the vaccine when it becomes available.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.4    4 years ago

My husband won't get any kind of vaccine. He had to get all of his shots when he was in the military (so did I, but I still get my shots) and he says he won't get the flu or the covid shot. He did get a shingles vaccine, tho. I'm not sure how they talked him into that one

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1.6  Bob Nelson  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.4    4 years ago

The vaccine is being rushed out under very powerful political pressure. The risk of cutting corners, either in its definition or in its evaluation, is significant. Prudence seems reasonable. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Vic Eldred  replied to  Bob Nelson @3.1.6    4 years ago
The vaccine is being rushed out under very powerful political pressure.

PROVE IT

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1.8  Bob Nelson  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.7    4 years ago
PROVE IT

Why? 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
3.1.9  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.7    4 years ago

Im definitely not going to be first in line , keeping in mind a vaccine usually can take up to 2 years in development ,  7 months in , , my opinion is something likely has been overlooked  with trials , not worth risking my health or life with unknown side effects , especially in my case of what i consider being low risk.

get a few million to take it before me and i might think about it.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Vic Eldred  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @3.1.9    4 years ago

Mark, I'll tell you what I'm goin to do. As soon as that vaccine is available I'm going to take it.

After that I will no longer wear a mask.

Nothing personal, my friend, but after that I am not going to worry about those who don't get vaccinated.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
3.1.11  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.10    4 years ago

i understand , and thats where it should be left for anyone , personal choice after they look at whats going on as it pertains to them.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.12  Vic Eldred  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @3.1.11    4 years ago

Correct...You & I can leave it at that.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
3.1.13  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.12    4 years ago

LOL yes you and i can , others .... cant and wont.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5  Mark in Wyoming     4 years ago

I think this is something people will have to evaluate for themselves , based on the individual risks they have .

Based on my own individual risks , i wont be getting it.

Risks i will use pertaining to me . age , health history , social interaction , and general geographic likelihood of infection.

My actual biggest risk i think is social interaction from and with individuals whom are either from out of state or people whom live here and go out of state and come back. and those are things i have little to no control over.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

So some quick facts about the differences in live vs dead vaccines

Dead or Alive: What’s the Difference?

Live…

Stability— The live attenuated vaccines are more unstable than their dead counterparts, comprised of weakened bacteria or viruses. To maintain their effectiveness they must be stored via refrigeration to ensure they don’t gain strength and mutate into a virulent form.
Strength— Strength is the key advantage for live vaccines due to their powerful immune response. This is why a single dose lasts a lifetime.

Immune System Response—The strength and instability of the live vaccines means they should not be given to people with compromised or damaged immune systems due to the risk of the resurrection of the disease you’re trying to prevent. This includes people undergoing chemotherapy treatments and AIDS patients

Dead…

Stability—These vaccines are very stable and the risk of mutating dead microbes is minimal. Refrigeration is not required for their storage. Therefore they can be stored without refrigeration.

Strength— The weaker response of the dead vaccine requires an occasional memory refresher for the immune system in the form of booster shots.

Immune System Response— The advantage here is that dead vaccines are 100-percent safe no matter how compromised the immune system of the recipient

Which Vaccinations for What Diseases?

Following are some of the diseases held at bay by live viral and bacterial vaccines:

—Viruses such as rubella, mumps, measles, varicella, polio (oral vaccine) and influenza (nasal spray)

—Bacterial live vaccines also include oral polio vaccine, oral typhoid vaccine and BCG.

—Dead inactivated whole viral vaccines protect against hepatitis A, rabies and influenza.

—Diseases like cholera, typhoid, pertussis, and plague should receive vaccinations of dead inactivated whole bacterial vaccines.

Keep in mind, that COVID comes from the same class of disease as rubella, mumps, measles, varicella, polio, influenza, (RNA viruses) so probably live would work the best, but comes with some risk.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6    4 years ago

They didn;t have the oral typhoid when I had to get one. It was a painful shot and I actually got ill from it

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6    4 years ago
some quick facts

Good recap. Thanks. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     4 years ago

Alex Jones the nut case from Austin, Texas is selling a cure for COVID. Cheap and ineffective.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1  Gordy327  replied to  Kavika @7    4 years ago

And I'll bet there are those out there dumb enough to buy it too.