╌>

Trump claims White House can overrule FDA's attempt to toughen guidelines for coronavirus vaccine

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  flynavy1  •  4 years ago  •  13 comments

By:    By Paul LeBlanc, CNN 1 hr ago (MSN)

Trump claims White House can overrule FDA's attempt to toughen guidelines for coronavirus vaccine
President Donald Trump claimed Wednesday that the White House could override the US Food and Drug Administration if the agency released tougher standards for the authorization of a Covid-19 vaccine, casting such a move as "political."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Trump claims White House can overrule FDA's attempt to toughen guidelines for coronavirus vaccine© MANDEL NGAN/AFP via Getty Images

President Donald Trump claimed Wednesday that the White House could override the US Food and Drug Administration if the agency released tougher standards for the authorization of a Covid-19 vaccine, casting such a move as "political."

His comments come as the FDA considers new Covid-19 vaccine guidelines that would likely push an authorization beyond Election Day, according to three sources familiar with the situation. That timeline would dash Trump's hopes of a pre-election authorization, having repeatedly said the vaccine could be ready by November 3.

"We're looking at that and that has to be approved by the White House. We may or may not approve it," the President said of the new FDA guidelines at a White House news conference. "That sounds like a political move."

The FDA "respectfully" declined to comment on Trump's claims. But generally speaking, agency guidelines do go through the White House Office of Management and Budget review process, an FDA official told CNN Wednesday.

In the meantime, the President's comments are sure to fuel new unease in a vaccine process that was already being greeted with skepticism by many Americans in polls. A lack of trust in the program is a nightmare scenario, public health experts say, since a vaccine is the best hope of eventually ending the pandemic and restoring normal life.

Earlier Wednesday, the commissioner of the FDA, Dr. Stephen Hahn, made a commitment to America that the "FDA will not authorize or approve a vaccine that we would not feel comfortable giving to our families."

"FDA will not authorize or approve any Covid-19 vaccine before it has met the agency's rigorous expectations for safety and effectiveness. Decisions to authorize or approve any such vaccine or therapeutic will be made by the dedicated career staff at FDA, through our thorough review processes, and science will guide our decisions," Hahn specifically promised the Senate Health Committee.

"FDA will not permit any pressure from anyone to change that," he added.

National Institutes of Health Director Dr. Francis Collins told CNN's Wolf Blitzer on "The Situation Room" that he trusts the FDA to apply the highest safety and efficacy standards to all the coronavirus vaccines, though he conceded that he wasn't sure if the FDA or White House had the final say on vaccine approval.

"I am not a lawyer or a constitutional scholar," he said. "I actually don't know the answer to that."

Two former FDA commissioners previously told CNN that while they think it's very unlikely that Trump could pressure scientists into authorizing or approving a Covid-19 vaccine, it's possible. The Department of Health and Human Services has in the past overruled the FDA's recommendations on medications.

Despite reassurances from federal officials, there are fears that the typical pathway for review and approval of the Covid-19 vaccine will be eschewed, or at least bent, because of political pressure.

"What I'm concerned about is there could be a gray zone where a vaccine looks partially protective and it goes on the market without a full formal review process," said Dr. Peter Hotez, a vaccinologist at Baylor College of Medicine.

Continue ReadingShow full articles without "Continue Reading" button for {0} hours. Microsoft may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through recommended links in this article.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1  seeder  FLYNAVY1    4 years ago

Meanwhile....

The US has experienced 37,140 deaths from Covid-19 and 168,474 deaths from the Trump virus....and counting!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

If the White House does push this thru without adhering to FDA guidelines, what are the chances of people trusting this thing and getting it? Also, what happens if there is something wrong with the vaccine and people keel over dead after getting the shot?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    4 years ago

Also, what happens if there is something wrong with the vaccine and people keel over dead after getting the shot?

You think Trump will give a shit?

As long as Trump is in the WH....  I'll trust the vaccine when I see Trump inoculated by Dr. Fauci!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1    4 years ago
You think Trump will give a shit?

No of course not

I'll trust the vaccine when I see Trump inoculated by Dr. Fauci!

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    4 years ago
If the White House does push this thru without adhering to FDA guidelines, what are the chances of people trusting this thing and getting it?

But I thought the right was opposed to government run healthcare.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2    4 years ago

I have no answer to that, Ozz. Well I do, but it shouldn't be said in polite society

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

The shit stain in charge can claim that the moon is made from cheese, but no bs EO will change the fact it is not.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     4 years ago

Meanwhile on planet earth, yesterday the US had 37,000 plus new cases of COVID and 1100 deaths. 

As Trump has said we are turning the corner on COVID. The problem is it's the wrong corner and we ran headfirst into a brick wall.

And today we are once again headed for a fairly high number of both new cases and deaths.

I wonder if an EO by Trump will stop the virus or do we wait till it disappears, which, of course, is right around the corner.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @4    4 years ago

I think he should try the EO

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1    4 years ago

As a matter of fact, he's signing a couple right now here in Charlotte. Both have to do with healthcare going forward. One of which is pre-existing conditions protections. I guess that's phase one.

Sorry that was probably off topic but I thought all may be interested.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4.2  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Kavika @4    4 years ago

Keep wearing your mask and social distancing my friend.........

If Trump keeps up his campaign rallies, we should see an improvement of the average national IQ level through attrition by the first of the year.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Kavika   replied to  FLYNAVY1 @4.2    4 years ago

I don't go anywhere without my n95 mask. Too old to take any chances, I also social distance at all times. Well there was that time a week or so ago that this super hot 55 year old, oh wait that's not for public consumption.

With his rallies, we'll be culling the herd soon.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4.2.3  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Kavika @4.2.2    4 years ago

With his rallies, we'll be culling the herd soon.

Is that what Trump was trying to get at with his comments on "Herd Mentality"?  Right over a cliff baby....!