╌>

Dutch Company Powers Streetlights and Phones With Living Plants

Category:  Alternative Energy

Via:  nona62  •  9 years ago  •  3 comments

Dutch Company Powers Streetlights and Phones With Living Plants

Dutch Company Powers Streetlights and Phones With Living Plants.

Please don't bring politics or religion into the discussion...Thank you!

shutterstock-green-plug-world-750

In November, more than 300 LED lights were illuminated by a Dutch company that makes electricity from harnessing the power of living plants.

This was the first commercial installation for Plant-e, a company that also sells mobile chargers, and rooftop electricity modules fueled by the byproduct of photosynthesis in plants.

Plant-es co-founder and CEO, Marjolein Helder, believes that this technology could be revolutionary, especially if implemented on a larger scale. Capturing the energy in wetlands and rice paddies could bring power to some of the worlds poorest places.

The company founders also envision a world where people can use their lawn or garden to charge their electric vehicles.

Heres how Plant-e says it works:

Via photosynthesis a plant produces organic matter. Part of this organic matter is used for plant-growth, but a large part cant be used by the plant and is excreted into the soil via the roots. Around the roots naturally occurring micro-organisms break down the organic compounds to gain energy from. In this process, electrons are released as a waste product. By providing an electrode for the micro-organisms to donate their electrons to, the electrons can be harvested as electricity. Research has shown that plant-growth isnt compromised by harvesting electricity, so plants keep on growing while electricity is concurrently produced.

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/dutch-company-powers-streetlights-phones-with-living-plants/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    9 years ago

The company founders also envision a world where people can use their lawn or garden to charge their electric vehicles. That would be awesome!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson    9 years ago

Very cool. I have never heard of such a thing. I linked through a few sites, looking for an estimation of potential output, but didn't find anything comprehensible to a non-electrician.

I hope we get updates.

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    9 years ago

I hope we get updates. So do I. What will they think of next??