╌>

San Jose shooting: Employees among 'multiple casualties', sheriff says

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  57 comments

By:   David K. Li and Matthew Mulligan (MSN)

San Jose shooting: Employees among 'multiple casualties', sheriff says
"Our hearts are pained for the families of those we have lost in this horrific shooting," Mayor Sam Liccardo said of the incident at a Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority facility.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Gunfire erupted at a Northern California rail yard on Wednesday, leading to "multiple fatalities" of public transit workers before the suspected shooter died, authorities said.

e151e5.gif© Provided by NBC News

Calls of shots fired came about 6:34 a.m. PT near 100 W. Younger Ave. in San Jose, drawing a large law enforcement response, the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office said.

"There are multiple injuries and multiple fatalities in this case," sheriff's spokesman Russell Davis told reporters at the scene. "The suspect is confirmed deceased."

Davis did not say how the shooter died or specify how many were injured and killed.

Citing an "active shooter," deputies told the public at 7:12 a.m. PT to steer clear of the downtown San Jose neighborhood, about 50 miles south of downtown San Francisco.

Less than an hour later, the sheriff's department reported the shooter was down.

"Our hearts are pained for the families of those we have lost in this horrific shooting," San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo said in a statement. "The shooter is deceased, and more information will be provided."

The Younger Avenue address is a light rail yard of the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA), which provides rail, bus and various shuttle services to the booming Bay Area suburb and technology hub.

Davis called the shooting scene a VTA "control center" which is a "hub that stores multiple VTA trains and a maintenance yard as well."

The VTA confirmed that a shooting occurred, leading to "multiple casualties" and a "suspect deceased." The transit agency added that service was "not impacted."

The area is also in the center of regional law enforcement operations, as the rail yard is within a half-mile of San Jose Police Department, Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office and District Attorney headquarters.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Another mass shooting in 'Merica. 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

Thanks for seeding this, John.  Sorry for my sass earlier.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2  Hal A. Lujah    3 years ago

Thoughts and prayers will fix it.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
2.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2    3 years ago

As always...jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2  Gordy327  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2    3 years ago

I'm sure there are those who actually believe that too. Unfortunately, it's a complete disconnect from reality. "Thoughts and prayers" never did anything tangible to fix anything, except maybe make one who otherwise does nothing feel like they did something.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3  Ronin2    3 years ago

California has some of the most strict gun laws around. Seems they are no closer to stopping shootings that any other Democratic run state or city that love to restrict peoples' rights. 

I am sure criminals will obey the next set of new proposed gun laws that will be sure to spring from this. It has to work this time! jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  Texan1211  replied to  Ronin2 @3    3 years ago

Come on  Man!

You know all the illegal guns in Cali are brought in by the infamous out of state right wing radicals!

lmao

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    3 years ago

or is it radical right wing agitators??

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.2  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.1    3 years ago
or is it radical right wing agitators??

Mostly just people who want to illegally sell guns, ordinary folk who just want to make an "honest" living! jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @3.1.2    3 years ago

no, I have been assured it is all the work of those infamous out of state right wing agitators who apparently go all over the country stirring up trouble for progressives.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Texan1211  replied to    3 years ago

pathetic that the point, once again, was missed.

pathetic but not surprising.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Tessylo  replied to    3 years ago

“lmao”

Tragic that this scenario has become so commonplace, that in the aftermath the ‘dialogue’ is reduced to the iteration of tired talking points...and may even evoke a chuckle.

Pathetically callous."

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Texan1211  replied to    3 years ago

maybe you and AOC should get together and compare your flair for dramatics.

bet it will be close!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Tessylo  replied to    3 years ago

She was referring to me regarding the 'out of state right wing agitators'

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.2  Krishna  replied to  Ronin2 @3    3 years ago
California has some of the most strict gun laws around.

And of course that means that no one can ever bring in guns from other (Republican)states that that do not have strict gun laws!

DUH!

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4  Snuffy    3 years ago

Bravo everybody.   With no information on motive, reasoning, type of weapon used, etc,  everybody has gone to their respective corners and come out with their standard fare.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Snuffy @4    3 years ago

But all your "requirements" aren't really necessary to take note of the fact that there have been 220 mass shootings (4 or more persons killed or injured) in the USA in the first 146 days of 2021,  A person COULD voice an opinon on that actual statistic. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.1  Snuffy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    3 years ago

Sorry but you missed the point. With no information other than it happened, there were 8 fatalities  (9 now) and the shooter killed himself there wasn't any other information. Yet the usual suspects (from both sides) were right their with their favorite comments.  I fully expect this will follow the same process,  some people will push for banning guns and others will cry about rights.

As for your comment on 220 shootings, how many of them were criminal on criminal or gangbanger on gangbanger?  Context matters.  As you said before with the number of guns in the public hands its not really possible to get the guns out of the public. I wish they would redefine that meaning to where a mass shooting would only mean a true event and not gangbanger on gangbanger or criminal drive-by, but it's a political thing now. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.1    3 years ago

To me, concern for the victims is more important than distinguishing between perpetrators.  The biggest problem is the means to carry out the crime, and the fact that your Constitution guarantees its perpetuity.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5  Mark in Wyoming     3 years ago

will be interesting to see what finally gets released as for info.

personally i am seeing a pattern emerge  over the past year or so.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1  Tessylo  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5    3 years ago

Do tell . . . 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Tessylo @5.1    3 years ago

still havent decided if the pattern i am seeing is even relevant to forming an opinion , so i will for now keep it to myself.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5.1.1    3 years ago

Of course!

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1.3  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Tessylo @5.1.2    3 years ago

since you press,

i will say that the pattern i see follows the critical thinking method of the who, what , when , where and why, that being said, like i said i have to figure out if what i am seeing is actually a pattern  germaine and relevent . if its not , then why bother with it?

and that should be enough to get those interested to think themselves and come to their own conclusions and opinions .

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5.1.3    3 years ago

Sorry I mentioned it.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1.6  Mark in Wyoming   replied to    3 years ago

those 2 factors would fall under the what and why  of what i said , and are 2 important factors . just because others may exclude some things , does not mean i have too.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1.8  Mark in Wyoming   replied to    3 years ago

Acknowledged , unfortunately we all do not live in a "perfect world or society " never have and never will. just have to go with what we have currently.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1.10  Mark in Wyoming   replied to    3 years ago
Accepting the status quo is doing nothing but to kick the can down the road. 

This has the potential to go off topic .

so far the accepted status quo i see is those that perpetrate these actions  are, they are punished for the actions they commit , if captured alive, some are found mentally ill, fine , they should get treatment , but once determined to NOT be mentally ill , should serve the remainder of the sentence in prison. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1.12  Mark in Wyoming   replied to    3 years ago

well according to all the naysayers and the gun control advocates , i wont be safe until the line is toed .

my state continually gets rated as an F by the gun control crowd because the state wont follow the dictates they prescribe . Like needing a permit to purchase or possess a firearm , or needing to even register any owned firearm, thats not even mentioning that the state has been permitless carry for a number of years now for either open or concealed carry( which as of 1 july will be extended to anyone that is not a prohibitted person from any state when they visit and they are a US citizen)( weed is still illegal so leave your weed in your home state if you plan on having a firearm).

last mass shooting in the state was in 2016, at an assisted care facility for the aged in the state capitol.

One of the articles i saw while researching that stated that this state is the most heavily armed in the union with 195 firearms per 1000 residents ( I think that number is waaaaaaay off by a very long shot) ( pun intended ).

So why not more mass shootings or mayhem?  could be the state population( least populated), or the mentality of the people themselves , could be a different outlook on life in general , or it could be a combination of all that and just plain old shit dumb luck.

how do i stay safe , stay aware of my surrounding and the people there in. its called situational awareness.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.13  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.4    3 years ago

LOL

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.14  Buzz of the Orient  replied to    3 years ago

Taking note that there is growing reliance on using the "mental health" excuse for America becoming a nation-wide shooting gallery, I think it's time to start building a hell of a lot of insane asylums. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.15  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5.1.8    3 years ago
"...unfortunately we all do not live in a "perfect world or society " never have and never will. just have to go with what we have currently."

BUT, we are really good at criticizing those who do not follow our way of life and try to force them to emulate us.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.16  Buzz of the Orient  replied to    3 years ago
"Accepting the status quo is doing nothing but to kick the can down the road."

As is making excuses for it, like "mental illness", or "what's the use - we can't do anything about the fact that so many criminals have guns".

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1.17  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.15    3 years ago
BUT, we are really good at criticizing those who do not follow our way of life

i would say that cuts both ways Buzz, it just depends on personal perspective how one sees it .

personally i wont criticize what others choose for themselves , they are in the best position to choose for themselves , not me , just as they are not in a position to choose for me .

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.18  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5.1.17    3 years ago

Yep, as they say "Different strokes for different folks".  I don't pass judgment on which is better, but then you and I may be exceptions with respect to that. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1.19  Greg Jones  replied to    3 years ago
But inexplicably excluded from reasonable discussion and thus prohibiting a workable remedy.
And what would that "workable remedy" be? 

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2  Krishna  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5    3 years ago
personally i am seeing a pattern emerge  over the past year or so.

I don't know if its the same pattern as I saw recently when I saw an image of Jesus recently appear in a piece of toast---but I agree, best that we keep their stories quiet!

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.2    3 years ago

You may say I'm a dreamer, b ut I'm not the only one:

22 People Who Found Jesus In Their Food

He may have been crucified 2,013 years ago today ( ish ), but when you scarf potato chips, he's watching.

(LINK)

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.2.2  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Krishna @5.2    3 years ago
I don't know if its the same pattern as I saw recently when I saw an image of Jesus recently appear in a piece of toast

they make specialty toasters that can do that ......

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @5.2.1    3 years ago
"You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one"

(John Lennon's 'Imagine") 

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.4  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.3    3 years ago
"You may say I'm a dreamerBut I'm not the only oneI hope someday you'll join usAnd the world will live as one"
(John Lennon's 'Imagine") 

Oh snap!

And here I had though all along that I had made up something original jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5    3 years ago

Actually I've seen a pattern emerging as well, and I wonder if any Americans are actually proud of it.  Many people have said that 'Art Imitates Life'.  I've pointed out a number of situations where 'Life Imitates Art', as well.  Lately I've seen an awful lot of movies with considerable gun violence in them.  Hey, feed people with what appears to be everyday behaviour, and it can become acceptable.  Isn't that why they cut down a lot on showing people smoking in movies?

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.3.1  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.3    3 years ago
Many people have said that 'Art Imitates Life'.

Art doesn't imitate life, but it rhymes!

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.3.2  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.3    3 years ago
I wonder if any Americans are actually proud of it.

Probably most Texans are, LOL!

Darwin's Law in operation....The Darwin Awards . . .Evolution in Action! ... ....improving the gene pool!):

Texas Lawmakers Move To Drop Most Handgun Licensing Requirements  . . . will throw much of that regulation out the window, allowing virtually anyone over the age of 21 to carry a handgun, no permit required.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.3.3  Gordy327  replied to  Krishna @5.3.2    3 years ago
Texas Lawmakers Move To Drop Most Handgun Licensing Requirements 

I thought it was Texas state law to have a handgun? 

Hallux
Masters Principal
6  Hallux    3 years ago

America is such a strange place, you 'need' a gun to protect yourself from the people you know, relatives, neighbors and fellow workers.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Hallux @6    3 years ago

You may have meant that to be sarcasm, but recent events have proven it to be true.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.1  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1    3 years ago

New Texas Gun Laws...plus so many people in Red States refusing to get vaccinated ....Hehehe jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @6.1.1    3 years ago

No surprise.  Texas is a cowboy movie.  (more life imitating art).

Necessities to be a REAL Texan....

R4cf165382c4440b4cf10f20f9db60b50?rik=Pi7yNBEbvZ%2bs5Q&pid=ImgRaw

OIP.sG-ueskl7QeE0HMhOZ5PewHaFE?w=302&h=206&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7 OIP.xgjwgvtVXGUUq-2IohHhzgHaJQ?w=186&h=233&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

And either what has sometimes been called a "Texas Cadillac"

truck_tool_box-2.jpg

Or

Rf23be088c302a0f90e4810c882fb629b?rik=eQ7dbA%2ftMe%2bG0w&riu=http%3a%2f%2fextension.msstate.edu%2fsites%2fdefault%2ffiles%2fnews%2f2017%2f20171121_auction.jpg&ehk=oat2bwcjtjrs28yenUj6j6cpOnmROc3teUNE8Rav4bE%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago
"California Gov. Gavin Newsom expressed frustration over the trend of mass shootings in the United States at a news conference following today's deadly shooting at a San Jose light rail yard.

"There is a numbness, I imagine, some of us are feeling about this because there's a sameness to this, you know anywhere, USA. It just feels like it happens over and over and over again. Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat," Newsom said.

Newsom recalled past mass shooting incidents that occurred in his state including, the  Gilroy Garlic festival shooting  and the  San Bernardino shooting .
"You know, pick a state. And here we are in the United States of America where we are experiencing something that is just not experienced anywhere else in the world. There is a sameness to this. And that numbness, I think, is something we are all feeling. All of us gathered here today, looking at the scene, listening to governors, mayors, chiefs, speaking, similar tone and terms, expression of condolences, all the right emotions and perhaps the right words, but it begs the damn question; What the hell is wrong in the United States of America? What the hell is wrong with us?
And when are we going to come to grips with this and put down our arms literally and figuratively? Our politics, stale rhetoric, finger pointing, all the hand wringing consternation that produces nothing but more fury and frustration, more scenes like this repeated over and over and over again. I say that not as a governor, but as a father of four and as a member of the community who cares deeply about it. So, we will have time to work through all of that.""
Example of a rhetorical question:
What the hell is wrong in the United States of America? What the hell is wrong with us?
I'll try to answer it.  In a country where gun owners would rather give up their spouse and kids than their guns, what can one expect?

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7    3 years ago

Well, Texas has been leading the way to solving the problem.

In addition to sending out thoughts and prayers whenever there's a mass murder-- they are pushing for a new law that should help (see link in comment # 6. 1. 1. , above)