╌>

Drug dealer jailed after sharing a photo of cheese

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  3 years ago  •  11 comments

By:   Rob Picheta

Drug dealer jailed after sharing a photo of cheese

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The block of mature blue cheese that proved Carl Stewart's undoing. (Photo: CNN)

(CNN) A drug dealer whose fingerprints were analyzed by police when he shared a photo of his hand holding a block of cheese has been sentenced to 13 years and six months in prison.

Carl Stewart, 39, from Liverpool, northwestern England, sent a picture on an encrypted device of a block of Stilton he had found in upmarket British grocery store Marks & Spencer, Merseyside Police said in a press release.

But the photograph was discovered by police, who used it to analyze his fingerprints and identify Stewart. 

Authorities said Stewart's "love of Stilton cheese" led to his arrest.

He was jailed on Friday after pleading guilty to conspiracy to supply cocaine, heroin, MDMA and ketamine, and to transferring criminal property, police said.

Stewart sent the image on EncroChat, an encrypted messaging service used exclusively by criminals that was  infiltrated by police in a major operation last year.

"Carl Stewart was involved in supplying large amounts of class A and B drugs, but was caught out by his love of Stilton cheese, after sharing a picture of a block of it in his hand through encrochat," Detective Inspector Lee Wilkinson said in a statement. "His palm and fingerprints were analysed from this picture and it was established they belonged to Stewart."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago
"Carl Stewart was involved in supplying large amounts of class A and B drugs, but was caught out by his love of Stilton cheese, after sharing a picture of a block of it in his hand through encrochat," Detective Inspector Lee Wilkinson said in a statement.

"His palm and fingerprints were analysed from this picture and it was established they belonged to Stewart."

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago
Stewart is not the first person to be arrested after making an unforced error.

In January, two burglars were detained in the UK after   accidentally pocket-dialing the police during their alleged crime . An officer in Staffordshire, central England, labeled the thieves the "world's unluckiest burglars" and likened them to the ill-fated crooks in the movie "Home Alone."

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

And in 2016, two equally unfortunate robbers held up a McDonald's in France -- only to discover that 11 armed members of an  elite paramilitary force happened to be eating inside.

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk! 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4  Bob Nelson    3 years ago

Stilton really is a tasty cheese. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @4    3 years ago

I have always loved cheese, and Stilton has been my favourite for a long time.  The Chinese people seem to only be familiar with processed cheese slices that are used to make cheeseburgers, so I have to buy my variety of cheese types at the big METRO box store that carry many imported goods, but they rarely carry Stilton

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Bob Nelson @4    3 years ago
Stilton really is a tasty cheese.

"Gromit! That's it, cheese! We'll go somewhere where there's cheese!"...

"Wensleydale? Stilton? Hmm, I don't know lad, it's like no cheese I've ever tasted"...

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @4.2    3 years ago

Almost as good as Roquefort... 

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
5  Transyferous Rex    3 years ago
...sent a picture on an encrypted device... Stewart sent the image on EncroChat, an encrypted messaging service used exclusively by criminals...

So, news to this guy, but the technology is good enough, apparently, to identify your prints from a pic posted on a social media site. Also news to Stewart, a site used exclusively by criminals might garner some attention from the cops.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

Well, at least it was a Mature Blue Stilton (if was an immature Blue Stilton, he could have been charged with an additional crime..if he crossed state lines with it!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

That guy should get a life.  Oh wait, he just may get life.

Baron Creek
Junior Quiet
8  Baron Creek    3 years ago

During his booking photo, was he asked to smile and say cheese?