╌>

QAnon Now as Popular in U.S. as Some Major Religions, Poll Suggests

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hallux  •  3 years ago  •  22 comments

By:   Giovanni Russonello - NYT

QAnon Now as Popular in U.S. as Some Major Religions, Poll Suggests
Fifteen percent of Americans believe that “patriots may have to resort to violence” to restore the country’s rightful order, the poll indicated.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The teams behind the poll determined that 14 percent of Americans fall into the category of “QAnon believers,” composed of those who agreed with the statements in all three questions. Among Republicans only, that rises to roughly one in four. (Twelve percent of independents and 7 percent of Democrats were categorized as QAnon believers.)

But the analysts went a level further: They created a category labeled “QAnon doubters” to include respondents who had said they “mostly disagreed” with the outlandish statements, but didn’t reject them outright. Another 55 percent of Republicans fell into this more ambivalent category.

Which means that just one in five Republicans fully rejected the premises of the QAnon conspiracy theory. For Democrats, 58 percent were flat-out QAnon rejecters .

The Poll:

https://www.prri.org/research/qanon-conspiracy-american-politics-report/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
PhD Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    3 years ago

It's an invasive species with its own wall.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @1    3 years ago

a legal variance on open and unlicensed extermination may be required.

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  devangelical @1.1    3 years ago

An addition to the Purge franchise?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @1.1.1    3 years ago

The Purge franchise is how I see trumpturd and his supporters.  I won't watch those movies.  The whole concept is just, I don't have the words for it.  

trumpturd and his supporters feel they're above the law/not accountable for anything.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

I'm beginning to think that the existence of the coronavirus in America had the tendancy to affect the people's brain cells.even if they weren't infected.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    3 years ago

Unfortunately the seeds for what we see today were planted by Newt "the spoot" Gingrich, and nursed along by scores of right wing talking heads that were never held accountable for the lies they generated.

Hallux
PhD Principal
2.1.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1    3 years ago

I have been blaming Newt for just about everything for several decades.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Hallux @2.1.1    3 years ago

Newt's methods is what ushered in the adversarial approach to governing.  That and the allowing the fairness in broadcasting act to laps.  The unchallenged lying by the right started then.   

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1.2    3 years ago

The beginning of the end of the 'conservatives' and republicans as far as I'm concerned.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @2.1.1    3 years ago

That hateful turd paved the way for all the hateful turds.  Fucking hypocrites - every single one.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1    3 years ago

Newt is certainly in the mix for the originator, but I think Rush Limbaugh predates Gingrich by a bit, and was sowing the same seeds that bloomed into populist disinformation and ignorance. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2  Gordy327  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    3 years ago

I'm thinking peoples brain cells have been largely lacking, and Covid only exacerbated the effect.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Watching far-right TV is single largest predictor of falling for QAnon conspiracy theory: report

Overall, nearly one out of seven Americans, as well as fully one out of four Republicans, is a QAnon believer.

Perhaps most notable among the polling statistics, however, is the revelation that media news consumption is "by far the strongest independent predictor of QAnon beliefs."

Robert P. Jones, Ph.D., the CEO and founder of PRRI, told Salon in an email that "as the country is becoming less white and Christian," Americans who are attracted to the politics of grievance subscribe to a mutually reinforcing right-wing ecosystem of ideas. Republican partisanship and right-wing media outlets all play a role in this, and they in turn fuel the   conspiracy theory movement   known as QAnon.

Salon inquired whether QAnon adherents and people who subscribe to   Donald Trump's 2020 election Big Lie   seem to be motivated by white supremacist or Christian supremacist ideals.

"We unfortunately don't have variables in this dataset to demonstrate that directly, but the demographic characteristics of those who are most likely to believe in QAnon are consistent with those attracted to the politics of grievance and displacement that was key to Trump's 'Make American Great Again' messaging, something I noted in my book   'The End of White Christian America,' " Jones wrote to Salon. "Believing that the country is becoming unrecognizable because of demographic change or that   non-European immigrants are replacing   white Anglo-Saxon Protestants also runs high among these demographic groups."

This raises a chicken-and-egg question: Are these people being figuratively brainwashed by propaganda, or are those media companies simply giving their customers what they want?

"It is likely that the connection is a two-way street: people who hold QAnon beliefs have migrated to these far right media outlets and those who watch these outlets have become more susceptible to believing these conspiracy theories as they are exposed to them on these outlets," Jones told Salon. He observed that conspiracy theories have throughout history seemed most attractive to people who feel threatened when a perceived social order is being disrupted.

"As the country is changing, these are also people who are generally less trusting of institutions and society, who feel threatened by these cultural and economic changes, and who are attracted to theories that promise that the familiar order of the world will soon be set right," Jones pointed out.

In addition to their support for Trump, QAnon adherents believe that they are privy to an underground truth that the mainstream media refuses to cover. They argue that a secret cabal of elite, Satanic pedophiles secretly runs the world, and that far right-wingers like Trump are engaged in a titanic struggle against them. There is also considerable overlap between QAnon adherence and susceptibility to   Trump's pre-election propaganda   that if he lost the election was stolen. This ultimately culminated in an   unsuccessful insurrection attempt   after Trump became   the first president to lose an election and refuse to accept the result .

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  JohnRussell @3    3 years ago
They argue that a secret cabal of elite, Satanic pedophiles secretly runs the world, and that far right-wingers like Trump are engaged in a titanic struggle against them

This is what is so confusing to me. I read that and my only thought is “that’s retarded.” I just don’t get how someone can read that and think “yeah...that sounds reasonable...”

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

It is still a mystery to me how people can be so stupid. I don’t think I will ever understand how the QAnon shit can sound even remotely plausible to someone with a functioning brain.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     3 years ago

Absolutely bizarre, you have to wonder what they use for a functioning brain.

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @5    3 years ago

a Q-nut lived close by a friend of mine. he had his car all decked out with a big Q on the rear window and all the accompanying domestic terrorist bumper stickers. we'd drive by and make jokes about it last year. he sent me a picture he took of the car after the insurrection. somebody had torched it.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6  Hal A. Lujah    3 years ago

Is this really a surprise?  The parallels are uncanny.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7  Bob Nelson    3 years ago

Trumpism is a religion, with Trump as its god. 

My guess is that a Venn diagram of Trumpists and QAnon is two concentric circles. Ergo, QAnon is a religion. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    3 years ago
14 percent of Americans fall into the category of “QAnon believers,”

This is not so bad. People believe all sorts of wacky things. About the same number believe in Bigfoot, for example. Or that the government is using the TV to engage in mind-control. Or that Obama is the antichrist (ok that one is probably the same people) Even more people think vaccines cause autism.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @8    3 years ago

Some dumb ass beliefs are harmless (like Bigfoot), but others such as the anti-vaxc shit and QAnon can be dangerous and cause real harm as we saw on the 6th. That is tens of millions of people that think satanic pedophiles are ruling the world and trump was sent to stop them, and they have shown that they are willing to get violent in support of this insane belief.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Thrawn 31 @8.1    3 years ago

I wonder how many really believe this crap... and how many are *wink* *wink* proving their loyalty to their Lord.