╌>

"A Political Problem": New Mexico District Attorney Gives Probation To All Rioters

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  3 years ago  •  39 comments

By:   JONATHAN TURLEY

"A Political Problem": New Mexico District Attorney Gives Probation To All Rioters
We previously discussed how prosecutors in North Carolina, Georgia, Oregon, and other states have dismissed or downgraded many rioting cases, including cases of individuals who destroyed statues in broad daylight. Now, New Mexico District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies has announced that all of the individuals who destroyed a 152-year-old obelisk last October will be given "restorative…

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

We previously discussed how prosecutors in North Carolina, Georgia, Oregon, and other states have dismissed or downgraded many rioting cases, including cases of individuals who destroyed statues in broad daylight. Now, New Mexico District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies has announced that all of the individuals who destroyed a 152-year-old obelisk last October will be given "restorative justice" and no jail time. They will however be required to write a letter about their actions. Carmack-Altwies called the premeditated act of destruction of the obelisk a mere "political problem that got forced upon the criminal justice system."

The statement of Carmack-Altwies is reminiscent of Speaker Nancy Pelosi shrugging off the destruction in her own home city of statues with "people will do what they do."

The obelisk was erected in 1866 to honor Civil War-era soldiers who died in battle. The North-facing Panel #4 however read: "TO THE HEROES WHO HAVE FALLEN IN THE VARIOUS BATTLES WITH SAVAGE INDIANS IN THE TERRITORY OF NEW MEXICO." The "savage" reference was removed in the 1970s. It was a National Landmark.

Police did not stop protesters as they attached ropes and pulled down the obelisk.

The seven defendants destroyed the obelisk in broad daylight and showed little concern for arrest or prosecution. It turns out they had reason to be so self-assured. They will be given six months to two years probation and perform 40 hours of community service. They will also be required to write a letter admitting their role in toppling the obelisk.

The seven defendants were charged with felony counts of damaging property worth over $1,000.

I actually do not want to see these defendants given any serious jail time. In that sense, I agree with Carmack-Altwies that any sentence should be large probationary. However, my objection is the statement that this is just a "political problem." Would Carmack-Altwies have taken such a view if the statue involved a different symbol or figure? The concern is that prosecutors identify with some of these protesters or their causes. Short jail stints, even for a few months, can offer some deterrence and, more importantly, establish that this criminal conduct will not be tolerated. Even without such jail time, it was important for Carmack-Altwies to establish the clear criminality of such actions. Instead, she dismissed the conduct as political rather than criminal.

There is an important national debate to have over such controversial public art. However, we are not having that debate. Mobs been allowed to dictate what public art will remain and what will be torn down. The message being sent is that you can skip any effort to try to convince other citizens to remove public art and just destroy such pieces unilaterally. The question is how Carmack-Altwies will punish the next wave of rioters for such destruction when she has already declared such premeditated acts as a "political problem that got forced upon the criminal justice system."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

"But her critics include former Santa Fe City Council member Ron Trujillo, who called the DA’s plan "a crock of crap," according to the newspaper.

"What a crock of crap that these people who were involved in vandalizing city property technically get off with a slap on the wrist," Trujillo   told the newspaper last week .

"All this time there was talk about justice, justice will come, these people will be held accountable. Where’s the accountability? They’re not being held accountable."

Don't you get it Ron?  Lefties don't punish leftists! 

You should ask yourself how this POS got to be a DA.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

Isn't it great they took down a POS obelisk. Those savage Indians whose land it was before they were murdered for it.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @1.1    3 years ago

Nobody should be immune to the law. I know things have changed in 2021.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    3 years ago
"Nobody should be immune to the law."

So true.  Why don't you feel that way about #45?

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    3 years ago
I know things have changed in 2021.

Yes they have, the statues of murderers are being taken down, one way or the other.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.1.4  pat wilson  replied to  Kavika @1.1    3 years ago

Yes, they were doing their civic duty.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @1.1.3    3 years ago
the statues of murderers are being taken down

Abraham Lincoln?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.6  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  pat wilson @1.1.4    3 years ago

They should have been arrested on the spot. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.6    3 years ago

Really pisses you off doesn't it?  That they weren't!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.8  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.7    3 years ago

And you feel good that radicals are exempt from American law.

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.1.9  Hallux  replied to  Kavika @1.1    3 years ago

I'm surprised it lasted as a 'monument' for so long. Maybe they can install a White-Grievance-Fountain-of-Fake-Tears to replace it.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.8    3 years ago

Don't put words in my mouth.  You do that all the time.

Stop that!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.11  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @1.1.9    3 years ago
I'm surprised it lasted as a 'monument' for so long.

Why?  Doesn't anyone obey the law in New Mexico?  Or is it still the "badlands?"

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.12  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.10    3 years ago
Don't put words in my mouth.

Actually, I'm using your very words.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.13  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.12    3 years ago

You're twisting them and taking them out of context, as usual.  Stop!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.14  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.8    3 years ago

How are they exempt?  Didn't they have a trial?  Weren't they given a sentence - probation?

How are they exempt from American law?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.15  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.11    3 years ago
"Why?  Doesn't anyone obey the law in New Mexico?  Or is it still the "badlands?"

What a foolish question!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.16  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.15    3 years ago

No wordsmith today?  

What to do?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.17  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.16    3 years ago

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Do you?

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.18  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.5    3 years ago
Abraham Lincoln?

He was not part of the obelisk, another swing and a miss Vic. 

BTW, in 2018 NM took down all the Confederate markers from NM's rest areas. 

Kit Carson statue came down as well, another murderer. You might want to ask the Navajo about Kit.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  Tessylo    3 years ago

Why the hell should people go to prison for destroying a statue?  Whether or not it was in broad daylight.  Who gives a shit?  I'm sure they were fined and had to pay damages.  No loss!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @2    3 years ago

You should have taken note of what was said in the article. You see Tess, if you think people shouldn't go to prison for destroying a statue, you would need to be consistent.  Would you still say that if the statue involved a different symbol or figure?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    3 years ago

I would say that no matter what the statue or symbol or figure was.  

Fine them, but no prison time. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.1    3 years ago
no matter what the statue or symbol

The US congress?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.2    3 years ago

We weren't talking about the US Congress.  What are you talking about?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.4    3 years ago
We weren't talking about the US Congress.

You said: no matter the statue or symbol

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.5    3 years ago
We weren't talking about the US Congress.  What are you talking about?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Statues of conquerors are never a good idea. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3    3 years ago

As we learned back in January, the rule of law needs to be respected and enforced, no matter what any of us feels.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1    3 years ago

So you agree that #45 and his mob are not above the law?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.1    3 years ago

I would have plenty of problem with that. How about you supporting your comments?  You just said no matter what the symbol was - nobody should be prosecuted?

Were you telling us a lie?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.2    3 years ago

Stop putting words in my mouth.  I didn't say that.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.2    3 years ago

"I would have plenty of problem with that."  What does that mean?  You mean #45 and his mob ARE above the law?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.3    3 years ago
Stop putting words in my mouth. 

But you did: 

I would say that no matter what the statue or symbol or figure was.  

Fine them, but no prison time. 

You added the second line, but it's ok. You are either lying or you are in favor of a double standard! 

Explain why others sitting in jail for 5 months for trespassing?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.5    3 years ago

Again, you're putting words in my mouth, you're taking them out of context, and you're calling me a liar!

STOP IT!

Who is sitting in jail for five months for trespassing?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.7  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.4    3 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.7    3 years ago

No, YOU do.  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

No surprise. Progressives live in a world where yesterday, at least as far as their own actions go, doesn't exist.  They object to certifying the last three Presidential elections they lose and don't blink an eye. Republicans do it in 2020 an attack on the Constitution.  They never admit  where the Republicans got the idea from or their own culpability in setting the precdent.

Just like the riot at the Capitol.  Democratic politicians  spent all summer praising protests that attacked police, saw widespread looting, destroyed billions in  property, injured thousands of cops and killed dozens. Kamela Harris told them to keep it up and got elected VP.  And all of this violence, all of these riots led to very little in consequences. Cops stood by and watched businesses  being looted. Punishment was rare.  Like in this case, where  mob violence resulted in a slap on the wrist. Democratic jurisdictions sent the message that violent rioting will result in a slap on the wrist, at most.

2020 and the toleration of mob violence set the stage for the Capitol riot. Nothing happens in a vacuum.  The capitol riot doesn't happen without the widespread acceptance of political violence throughout 2020.  Has the BLM rioters been punished like the Capitol rioters are being now, the Capitol riot wouldn't have happened.  The free reign  BLM protesters received set the precedent, and the capitol rioters thought it applied to them. I had hoped that the justice system would treat political violence harshly going forward. But nope, the double standard continues. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1  Tessylo  replied to  Sean Treacy @5    3 years ago

Deflection, projection, and denial.  All you got!