╌>

Texas Democrats Prevent Republicans From Passing Restrictive Voting Bill

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  272 comments

By:   MSN

Texas Democrats Prevent Republicans From Passing Restrictive Voting Bill
A restrictive voting bill that was on the verge of reaching Gov. Greg Abbott's desk failed to pass after Democrats walked out of the House chamber before a midnight deadline.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

e151e5.gif© LM Otero/Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas—Texas Democrats pulled off a dramatic, last-ditch walkout in the state House of Representatives on Sunday night to block passage of one of the most restrictive voting bills in the U.S., leaving Republicans with no choice but to abandon a midnight deadline and declare the legislative session over.

The revolt is one of Democrats' biggest protests to date against nationwide GOP efforts to impose stricter election laws and they used the spotlight to urge President Biden to act on voting rights.

But the victory may be fleeting: Republican Gov. Greg Abbott, who had declared new voting laws a priority in Texas, said he would call for a special session to finish the job. He called the failure of the bill "deeply disappointing" but didn't say when he would bring lawmakers back to work.

"We've said for so many years that we want more people to participate in our democracy. And it just seems that's not the case," Democratic state Rep. Carl Sherman said.

One by one, Democrats left the House chamber until there was no longer the 100-member quorum needed to pass Senate Bill 7, which would have reduced polling hours, empowered poll watchers and scaled back ways to vote in Texas, which already has some of the nation's strictest voting laws.

They gathered later outside a Black church, driving home their anger over a last-minute change to the bill that would have prohibited Sunday voting before 1 p.m., when many Black worshipers go to the polls. Democrats said they didn't go into the vote intending to break quorum, but instead became fed up after Republicans repeatedly refused to take their questions while racing to pass the bill.

It was an stunning turnabout from just 24 hours earlier, when the bill seemed all but guaranteed to reach Mr. Abbott's desk. The Texas Senate had signed off before sunrise earlier Sunday after Republicans, who hold an 18-13 majority in the chamber, used a procedural move to suspend the rules and take up the measure in the middle of the night.

But as the day wore on, the GOP's chances wobbled. State Rep. Chris Turner, the Democratic House leader, said he sent a text message to members of his caucus at 10:35 p.m. telling them to leave the chamber. But even by that point, the exodus was already well under way.

"We knew today, with the eyes of the nation watching actions in Austin, that we needed to send a message, and that message is very, very clear: Mr. President, we need a national response to federal voting rights," Democratic state Rep. Trey Martinez Fischer said.

Republicans showed restraint in criticizing Democrats for the move.

"I am disappointed that some members decided to break quorum," said Republican state Rep. Briscoe Cain, who carried the bill in the House. "We all know what that meant. I understand why they were doing it, but we all took an oath to Texans that we would be here to do our jobs."

Texas is the latest big battleground in Republicans' campaign to pass more restrictive voting laws, driven by former President Donald Trump's unproven claims that the 2020 election was stolen from him. Georgia and Florida also passed new voting restrictions, and on Saturday, Mr. Biden unfavorably compared Texas' bill to election changes in those states as "an assault on democracy."

Under revisions during closed-door negotiations, Republicans added language to the 67-page measure that would have made it easier for a judge to overturn an election. The bill would have also eliminated drive-through voting and 24-hour polling centers, both of which Harris County—the state's largest Democratic stronghold—introduced last year.

Major corporations joined the backlash, including Texas-based American Airlines Inc. and Dell, warning that the efforts could harm democracy and the economic climate. But Republicans shrugged off their objections and in some cases, ripped business leaders for speaking out. By the time the Texas bill was poised to pass over the Memorial Day weekend, the opposition from businesses had faded.

Since Mr. Trump's defeat, at least 14 states have enacted more restrictive voting laws, according to the New York-based Brennan Center for Justice. It has also counted nearly 400 bills filed this year nationwide that would restrict voting.

It wasn't the first time Texas Democrats—who have been out of power in Austin for decades—have been able to block contentious legislation despite being outnumbered.

They twice broke quorum in 2003 to stop Republican efforts to redraw voting maps, at one point leaving the state for Oklahoma. A decade later, former state Sen. Wendy Davis ran out the clock on a sweeping antiabortion bill with a filibuster that lasted more than 11 hours.

But in each instance, Republicans ultimately prevailed.

"We may have won the war tonight but the battle is not over," Democratic state Rep. Nicole Collier said. "We will continue to fight and speak out against those measures that attempt to silence our voices."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago
They gathered later outside a Black church, driving home their anger over a last-minute change to the bill that would have prohibited Sunday voting before 1 p.m., when many Black worshipers go to the polls.

What does preventing voting before 1.p.m. on Sundays have to do with anything?   Other than trying to cut down the black vote ? 

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.2  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

I don't know where you are from, but here in the south, most African Americans go to church in the morning hours, then usually get out around noon.

At the same time, in mostly black districts, the poll workers are mostly black. This gives them the opportunity to go to church, then do their volunteered civic duty afterwards.

This has nothing to do with suppressing the black vote. If anything, it is to help blacks vote so they can attend church.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  bugsy @1.2    3 years ago
it would have barred early voting on Sundays before 1 p.m., which effectively limits the "souls to the polls" after-church get-out-the-vote efforts that are popular among Black churches.
Texas voting bill: Democrats leave House floor, effectively blocking passage of restrictive voting bill for now - CNNPolitics

The issue is not really how many people this change would effect, since that is an unknown number. The issue is why are they making the change at all?  CLEARLY, the change is meant to effect black turnout for their church sponsored voting efforts. 

When you direct a voting rules change that seems to be aimed specifically at a racial group  you've got problems. 

And Abbott has the nerve to declare the need for these changes an "emergency" which requires a special session of the legislature. It is ludicrous. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @1.2    3 years ago

So you speak for black people bugs?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2.3  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    3 years ago
CLEARLY, the change is meant to effect black turnout for their church sponsored voting efforts. 

Your opinion only, unsupported by any credible evidence.

Another conspiracy theory, perhaps?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.2    3 years ago
So you speak for black people bugs?

They're trying .

231a.jpg

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.2.5  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.2    3 years ago

[deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.2.6  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    3 years ago
seems

So just your opinion.

You really don't know.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.7  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @1.2.5    3 years ago
"I speak for common sense."

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Quiet
1.2.8  exexpatnowinTX  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.4    3 years ago
They're trying .

Is that a photo of Democrat Governor Northam of Virginia?  The Blackface Governor?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.2.9  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.7    3 years ago

Common sense just sent him a memo - Uh, no you don't.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

So blacks can't go when the polls are open like everyone else?

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.3.1  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3    3 years ago
So blacks can't go when the polls are open like everyone else?

Looks like most libs think blacks should only vote on Sundays after 1pm.......

It really shows who the real racists are.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  bugsy @1.3.1    3 years ago
Looks like most libs think blacks should only vote on Sundays after 1pm.......

That is a truly ridiculous comment. Which is saying a lot given some of your other ones. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3    3 years ago

There is only one thing that matters as regards voting, and that is that the person who casts the vote is registered to vote in that state. 

Nothing else matters, and that includes the number and hours of early voting days, or whether people vote by mail or in person. 

Changing a rule in order to prevent voting before 1 pm on Sundays because you know blacks like to vote before 1 pm on Sundays is inexcusable.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.4  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3.3    3 years ago

Yes, I have read your opinions on this matter.

Can blacks not go to the polls when everyone else does?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3.5  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.4    3 years ago

i'm not going to explain (why this is an issue) to you a hundred times

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.6  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3.5    3 years ago

I didn't ask you to, so we must be good here then.

Whew!

Texas allows for plenty of time for people--ALL PEOPLE--to vote. 

Period, end of story, go vote.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3.7  devangelical  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3.5    3 years ago

meh, IMO democrats are going about the rwnj voter suppression issue all wrong. blue states simply need to counter the fascist red state efforts to suppress the vote by targeting trumpster districts with the same tactics of reducing the numbers of polling places they have access to. having the maga relics stand for hours and hours and hours in the heat or extreme cold waiting to vote will eventually have the desired effect of reducing their numbers and the taxpayer financial burden of the entitlements autocrat lovers receive. /s

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3.8  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.6    3 years ago

The issue here is not whether there will still be enough opportunities to vote, the issue is why are the Texas Republicans trying to remove a time frame when they know black people have historically been voting. 

Sorry you dont seem to understand that. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3.9  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  devangelical @1.3.7    3 years ago

Not a bad idea.

Texas needs a Stacy Abrams like figure though, that can organize the vote down there and turn the state blue. It is within reach in the next election or two. Beto O Rourke has been trying , but I dont think he has the juice or the know how. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.10  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.3.7    3 years ago

Yeah, go right ahead and do it instead of merely whining about what you MAY do.

Tough talk is still just a bunch of words without actions.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.11  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3.8    3 years ago

Sorry you don't seem to know that poll hours are for everyone, not just one subset of the population.

I have enough confidence that blacks can figure out when polls are open and manage to find one to vote at at the times they are open.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.13  Texan1211  replied to    3 years ago

So are you advocating for polls to be open 24/7?

For how many days? 

Will early voting be restricted at all, or should we open the polls as soon as a candidate announces his or her run?

Do we allow early voting up until election day?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.3.14  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3.2    3 years ago

There is an old saying.  It is better to be thought of as a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubts.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.15  Tessylo  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.3.14    3 years ago
"There is an old saying.  It is better to be thought of as a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubts."

Sadly, some folks never take heed to that old saying!

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.3.16  Ronin2  replied to  devangelical @1.3.7    3 years ago

Right, because Texas, Georgia, and the other Republican lead states aren't applying the laws everywhere- just in Democratic run bastions of stupidity within their states.

Democrats want special privileges for their voters. Tough shit; everyone gets to abide by the same voting rules within the state they are from. Don't like the US is a big damn country- with 50 states last I counted; so find another to live in.

CB
Professor Principal
1.3.17  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.6    3 years ago

Is it OPPRESSIVE to 'manage' other people's liberties, Texan?  Why can't some conservatives just go vote right along beside the 'souls'?  Why put a cap on it; who is it hurting? And finally why do WHITE conservatives without justified cause get to limit the Black/Brown voting franchise?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.18  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.3.17    3 years ago

Every state limits voting in some way or the other.

That is just a fact.

No state has polls open 24/7, so of course someone will ne 
inconvenienced" that polls aren't open precisely when they sometimes wish they were.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
1.3.19  MonsterMash  replied to  Tessylo @1.3.15    3 years ago
Sadly, some folks never take heed to that old saying!

Hey, if the shoe fits

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.20  Tessylo  replied to  MonsterMash @1.3.19    3 years ago
Do you come on here just to troll/insult me?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.4  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

I'm really trying to understand the problem here.  This is early voting, correct?  Correct me if I'm wrong but early voting runs for several days. In fact from what I found, early voting for the 2021 election starts Oct 18th, 2021 and ends Oct 29th, 2021.  So in this case there are eleven days of early voting. And this is only in-person early voting, has nothing to do with a mail-in ballot or voting on election day. 

Are we to assume that people cannot plan their life out any better and the only time in their lives to go vote would be on a Sunday morning? I could better understand the argument if Sunday was the only day where early in-person voting was allowed, but it's not. So can you better explain the problem?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.4.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Snuffy @1.4    3 years ago
Are we to assume that people cannot plan their life out any better and the only time in their lives to go vote would be on a Sunday morning? I could better understand the argument if Sunday was the only day where early in-person voting was allowed, but it's not. So can you better explain the problem?

There is only one reason to select Sunday morning early voting as the time period that needs to be eliminated. They know that is the time when many blacks go to vote with church groups. 

So it appears that the Republicans in Texas are deliberately trying to lessen the black vote. 

Texas needs a Stacy Abrams like figure down there to organize the minority vote and put an end to the truly laughable state leadership in Texas that Abbott and his clown show provide.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.4.2  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @1.4.1    3 years ago
"So it appears that the Republicans in Texas are deliberately trying to lessen the black vote."

That's not how it appears.  THAT'S EXACTLY THE CASE!  

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.4.3  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1.4.1    3 years ago

Your arguments is weak....

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.4.4  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.4.1    3 years ago

So what you are telling me is that blacks cannot get to the polling stations for early voting on any other time than Sunday mornings because to them going to vote is linked to their church?  Or is it that they need to get a ride either from someone else at the church or that the church would provide a bus to transport the voters from the church to the polling station and back again?

Because it seems to me that it would be a simple matter for transportation to be moved to hours that match up with polling station hours.  Or they could look to vote on another day when Texas has the early voting stations open from 6:00am to 9:00pm. Or they could request a mail-in ballot.

Sorry but your argument about blacks not being able to vote seem a bit racist where  you assume they cannot find any other solution and are dependent on their church to manage their activities. 

There are other pieces of this law that I don't agree with. I do not agree with the elimination of drop boxes, they do need to be secure but I don't see them as a huge problem. Same with drive-thru voting, so long as the proper security is set up then drive-thru voting while manpower intensive I think should still be allowed.  And to me the limit on having polling stations not open on Sunday morning could also be seen as trying to keep separate church and state, so that a state function (polling stations) to not interfere with church functions. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.4.5  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Snuffy @1.4.4    3 years ago
Sorry but your argument about blacks not being able to vote seem a bit racist where  you assume they cannot find any other solution and are dependent on their church to manage their activities. 

I dont assume any such thing, but I bet you the Republicans in Texas do, otherwise why make this new rule ?  It doesnt make any sense other than as a way to try and reduce black voting. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.4.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @1.4.2    3 years ago

The truly disturbing thing about the R BS bill is granting judges the authority to overturn elections with no proof of fraud.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.4.7  evilone  replied to  Snuffy @1.4    3 years ago
I'm really trying to understand the problem here.

That's what people were saying when Trumpublicans said they needed to change voting rules in the first place.

CB
Professor Principal
1.4.8  CB  replied to  Snuffy @1.4    3 years ago

What you can assume is Governor Abbott and his co-horts in conservative-Texas are messing with liberal Texans rights and privileges to expand the voting franchise to meet their needs and those needs of their population. If that is not the case, Governor Abbott would have accepted that a "good thing" was occurring during those hours of Sunday voting and left it alone. Some conservatives are manipulating the rules, because they can, seeking to mis-match the 2020 outcome (which saw more people voting than EVER before).

Call bull patty out when and where you find it. No chaser, please.

CB
Professor Principal
1.4.9  CB  replied to  Snuffy @1.4.4    3 years ago
Because it seems to me that it would be a simple matter for transportation to be moved to hours that match up with polling station hours.  Or they could look to vote on another day when Texas has the early voting stations open from 6:00am to 9:00pm. Or they could request a mail-in ballot.

So why do it and make a 'wave' for liberals to ride, Snuffy? Why is it always Republican legislatures who see fraud and need of fraud resolution where it is not evidenced. Why fix the 2020 voting scheme when it worked better than any voting scheme this country ever put forth?

Answer the questions fairly and plainly. . . and stop toting a party-line.

CB
Professor Principal
1.4.10  CB  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.4.6    3 years ago

And what kind of judge would do so without a proper hearing and trial? It's racist I tell you. And I am sick and tired of republicans always vexxing our spirits! We do this every year or two and it "F" us (all) up in the head, mind, and spirit.

Why can't we elect genuine, trustworthy people across the board? They don't have to be perfect just 'perfected' and approachable. Not these silly anarchists and party malcontents who want people to kiss their 'boots and butts' and share nothing good with others country dwellers.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.4.11  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.4.10    3 years ago
And what kind of judge would do so without a proper hearing and trial? It's racist I tell you

You may want to wait until it actually happens (if ever) before you start accusing people of being racists.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.4.12  Snuffy  replied to  CB @1.4.9    3 years ago
Why fix the 2020 voting scheme when it worked better than any voting scheme this country ever put forth?

I can ask the same question to you about H.R. 1.   Why should the Democrats be looking to change things if the 2020 election was so grand?

There were some things that happened in 2020 that I was not comfortable with and some of it can be tightened up. I'm not in favor of sending ballots to every person on the voting roles which some areas tried to do. I'm not in favor of just anybody bringing ballots into a polling station  (ie, ballot harvesting).  I believe AZ handles this properly,  ballots can be brought in by family members or people living in the same household,  but not by political operatives. I believe that some of the changes put in for the 2020 elections were put in at the last minute without the proper law behind it. States are responsible for the election process, it should not be just one person regardless if that one person is a governor, a president, a state secretary.  Changes need to be put in by the state legislators by law.

I really feel this Texas law is a lot like the recent Georgia law, and the outrage over it is more partisan politics than actual harm. There are parts in the Texas laws I don't agree with and parts i do agree with. But so far the only line of discussion I have responded to is the one where polling stations are to be closed Sunday morning until 1pm in the afternoon during early voting. I'm being told it's racist because that's when most blacks go to vote. It hasn't been shown that the majority of blacks do vote during those hours. I have no doubt there is a large number that would go to church and immediately after church hop into the church van for a drive down to the polling station.  But is that most blacks? I don't know because I've not seen any numbers.  I've been told that having the hours of early voting like this is racist,  but if it impacts all people regardless of race then please explain how that is racist. 

Similar to the arguments against the Georgia voting laws, this argument seems to be running along party line talking points from both sides. 

CB
Professor Principal
1.4.13  CB  replied to  Snuffy @1.4.12    3 years ago
Changes need to be put in by the state legislators by law.

And those changes need to be proper and common-sense, if a more efficient better OUTCOME is the goal. When one side is leaving its opposition out while imposing extreme practices, policies, rules, and laws-people (the 'rusty wheel principle') are going to speak up and should!

I'm being told it's racist because that's when most blacks go to vote. It hasn't been shown that the majority of blacks do vote during those hours. I have no doubt there is a large number that would go to church and immediately after church hop into the church van for a drive down to the polling station.  But is that most blacks? I don't know because I've not seen any numbers.

Full-stop.

It is racist, because a select group of legislators and its select governor are singling out a group or groups of voters and areas of the state for special consideration and treatment (or mis-treatment). These groups have the experiential understanding and background to know the difference, patterns, and trends that attack their communities. That is, these groups have been haunted, hounded, and obstructed time and time again through a process named, voter suppression.

Forgive me, it is not necessary to quantify how many Blacks, Minorities, or Whites attend "Souls To The Poles" - if the practice is determined sound, legal, and a valuable resource it should be allowed to work at its efficient best, all things considered.

CB
Professor Principal
1.4.17  CB  replied to  gooseisgone @1.4.16    3 years ago

Texas GOP says it will adjust rule in election bill accused of impacting Black churchgoers

Texas GOP lawmakers say they will be making changes to their proposed restrictions to early voting Sunday after critics argued the move disproportionately affected the Black community.

The measure, which voting advocates said would have harmed "souls to the polls" events popular with Black churches, is part of the latest statewide elections overhaul package that Democrats have characterized as being a thinly veiled attempt at voter suppression.

In an interview on NPR this week, Texas state Rep. Travis Clardy (R), said the starting time for voting to begin on Sunday in the proposed legislation had been a typo. Clardy said the starting time was meant to 11 a.m., but had mistakenly been written as 1 p.m .

"That's one of the things I look forward to - with fixing the most. Call it a scrivener's error, whatever you want to. I talked to our team yesterday, kind of regrouping of what happened. That was not intended to be reduced," Clardy told NPR's Steve Inskeep.

Citing reports from the Texas Tribune, Axios noted that despite this two-hour difference, no Republicans raised any issues with the apparent starting time as it was written during the final debate over the bill, and one lawmaker even defended the 1 p.m. starting time.

The Texas Republicans and Some Conservatives whined and the Texas Democrats griped back! The Gripers are going to win on this one issue.

Now on to the next problem area of the bill. "Adjust this."

CB
Professor Principal
1.4.19  CB  replied to  gooseisgone @1.4.18    3 years ago

Dodge much? Admit it the attempt at theft of voting liberty has suffered a grave set-back (on this one issue). Let's see if more setbacks on this bill is in store!

I am happy; are you happy representative oversight arrived in the nick of time?  YAY!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

It’s hard to take seriously the left’s narrative about an assault on democracy in a state that gives voters two weeks to cast a vote. 

evilone
Professor Guide
1.5.1  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.5    3 years ago
It’s hard to take seriously the left’s narrative about an assault on democracy in a state that gives voters two weeks to cast a vote. 

It's also hard to take seriously the right's narrative they HAD to change the rules because of fraud which they can't find. 

CB
Professor Principal
1.5.2  CB  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.5    3 years ago

Texan democrats are not fools. They fully understand when a governor is accidentally stepping on policy and when policy is a solid kick in the voting franchise. Governor Abbott is pulling red-state "backroom" manipulate and confuse the vote stuff and seriously Texan conservatives are highly probably not done yet. Better to call Abbott's ASS out here and now. Shout it from the 'rooftops.'

WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF CONSERVATIVES WEAK RATIONALES FOR PLAYING GAMES OF 'CATCH US IF YOU CAN' WITH OUT VOTE FRANCHISE!!!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.5.3  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.5.2    3 years ago
Texan democrats are not fools.

Debatable.

Is there any reason on earth why blacks can't go to the polls on Sunday when everyone else does?

And I am curious as to why you say nothing about states that have NO Sunday voting at all.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.5.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  CB @1.5.2    3 years ago

I think them walking out is karma for those shit stained R's voting against a commission to investigate the riot.  They can dish it out but can't take and what goes around comes around.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.5.5  Texan1211  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.5.4    3 years ago
I think them walking out is karma for those shit stained R's voting against a commission to investigate the riot.  They can dish it out but can't take and what goes around comes around.

You get that this is the Texas State Legislature we are  talking about, far different than the U.S. Congress?

CB
Professor Principal
1.5.6  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.5.3    3 years ago

Because Texas has "souls to the poles" (at least that is implied). When some other state adds 'souls' and then snatch it away from the people who wish to keep it, then your question will benefit discussion.

I could ask you the inverse, why can't SOME CONSERVATIVES develop their own "souls to the polls"? And keep their selfish hands off legal promotions and services Black people find to make life work for their community interests, attitudes, and resources?

Some conservatives keep SAYING they wish Black Americans would "get it together" but as is the conservative norm, it is not "togetherness" that is wished from Blacks; it is subordination. No Chaser!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.5.7  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.5.6    3 years ago

Ever playing the victim card.

Sigh.

SOSDD

CB
Professor Principal
1.5.9  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.5.7    3 years ago

Some conservatives can sigh all the want. But, sighing is not helpful. Therefore, what some conservatives want is not helpful to voting, like sighing.

Some conservatives talk a good 'game' until those who have been through the practice of oppression step up to SAY what it really is to have you recommending and voting down our liberal liberties-while gaming the system for conservative self-interests.

SOSDD (Right on!)

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.5.10  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.5.9    3 years ago
Some conservatives can sigh all the want.

Glad to know they have your permission!

Whew, I was really getting worried about that!

But, sighing is not helpful.

Neither is whining, or playing the race card, or playing the victim card.

yep, SOSDD

CB
Professor Principal
1.5.11  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.5.10    3 years ago

Well some conservatives let me put it this way: We don't give a damn if some conservatives think we are whiners. Because we know some conservatives are full of bull patty. And when some conservatives stop playing with their cornucopia of 'cards' and leave liberal voting rights and privileges alone only then will it be ' a brand new day' for our nation.

If some conservatives want to climb up on their soapboxes and talk 'patty' - bring it. As I'm serving my commentary without 'chaser'!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.5.12  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.5.11    3 years ago

Thank you for consistently and so insistingly proving my points for me.

Appreciate you, boo!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.6  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

How does it cut down the Back vote?

Go to church, have lunch or Sunday dinner, then go vote.

Imaginary problem solved.

CB
Professor Principal
1.6.1  CB  replied to  Greg Jones @1.6    3 years ago

Did democrats NEED Abbott's advice on how to go vote? NO.  So what is some conservatives problem with liberal legal voting systems, styles, and actions?

Do some conservatives experience liberals and progressives giving a shit about how they vote? No! Liberals throw the franchise wide open, because it works that way!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.6.2  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.6.1    3 years ago

And yet, everyone eligible to vote in Texas will have ample opportunity to do so.

CB
Professor Principal
1.6.3  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.6.2    3 years ago

And yet it is Governor Abbott and conservatives that are striving to take away liberties (in furtherance of liberty)? Fix your commentary around that fact when you comment on who is feeling puny and in need of feeling that they need to matter more to voters who don't care about conservatism and its patrons.

The current system in Texas worked exceedingly well in 2020. But, Texas Governor Abbott is a political whore who is selling 'leg' because he is a limited figure scared of change! Well, Texas is 'purple' politically and its likely to hue-over again as people migrate into 'Tesla country.'

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.6.4  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.6.3    3 years ago

Take away liberties?

Please stop the melodrama!

Everyone eligible to vote in Texas will have ample opportunity to vote if they desire. 

Some small, actual, personal effort may be required.

CB
Professor Principal
1.6.5  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.6.4    3 years ago

I'll give you inconsistency and let you call it whatever floats some conservatives' boat:

vs.

VERIFY: Yes, Gov. Abbott said he plans to sign new gun legislation into law

vs.

Texas voting bill heads to Abbott's desk after contentious debate

APPEASING CONSERVATIVES 2ND AMENDMENT LIBERTIES vs. MESSING OVER LIBERALS VOTING LIBERTIES
CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY vs CONSTITUTIONAL VOTE

CB
Professor Principal
1.6.6  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.6.4    3 years ago

Some more inconsistency for some conservatives, that SAY a great many bull patty things:

Gov. Greg Abbott signs 'back the blue' bills into law | KVUE

But don't do 'patty' consistently. There the only governor of the state is appeasing some conservatives' (through 'dictate') and messing over the liberals (by quenching hopes of ending racial injustice in policing).

Clearly Some conservatives and Governor Abbott think that Texas Police are 'right and proper' to racially kick Texan asses with a so-called, "Law and Order" doctrine*, and that rank and file liberal voices that wish some "re-imagining of police" can go somewhere else, shut up, or just piss off! (That's not going to happen, nevertheless!)

* We know through experiential circumstances that phrases like "Law and Order State"  used by some conservatives is just a dog whistle to suppression of Blacks and minorities specifically.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.6.7  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.6.6    3 years ago

Here's  a great idea for you, since you don't seem to like our governor:

Don't vote for him.

If other progressive liberals don't like him they should elect someone else.

Elections have consequences, a famous Democrat proclaimed.

Or you could just keep whining about some made-up bs about "suppression".

CB
Professor Principal
1.6.8  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.6.7    3 years ago

And you can keep talking out of an echo chamber! It makes about as much sense, as what you're getting is all that you put in. Partisan hack-ery is a thing.

I have given you evidence and you just pass it up for bull patty. How are you a fair-minded participant?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.6.9  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.6.8    3 years ago

Just because YOU declare it so doesn't make it so.

Whining about some mythical loss of rights is so damn tiring and old.

Playing the race and victim card endlessly is old, too.

CB
Professor Principal
1.6.10  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.6.9    3 years ago

Says you as expected. Call it or dismiss this activity however you wish.  Some conservatives are known to support 'combat' and hurling dust up in the air, over sound reasoning. It will be/and is being met with appropriate resistance and already "griping" is yielding returns: @1.4.17.

Spin doctors - well spin!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.6.11  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.6.10    3 years ago

Sorry I am not into the whole Chicken Little-sky-is-falling thing.

I reserve my outrage for real things, not imagined slights and misinterpretations.

CB
Professor Principal
1.6.12  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.6.11    3 years ago

Well I'm good: How about you, Texan?  (Donald Trump.is a selfish pig! For 'breaking' the Republican Party into a shell of its former self!)

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.6.13  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.6.12    3 years ago

Please return to me when you get done with your latest attack of TDS.

How's the research into the cure for that coming along?

CB
Professor Principal
1.6.14  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.6.13    3 years ago

Trump manages state ballot audits and state elections rigging from his desk in Mara Lago. Just sayin. It's an outrage. But do carry on now with blinders on. . . .

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.6.15  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.6.14    3 years ago

So, no progress on a cure.

That is sad.

Maybe soon?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.6.16  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.6.14    3 years ago
state elections rigging

Surely such an outstanding, upright, moral citizen such as yourself has already reported this fact to the proper authorities.

What did the Biden Justice Dept. tell you about it? What was their response?

Cone on, share!!!

CB
Professor Principal
1.6.17  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.6.16    3 years ago

We all see (and imagine) that big 'Cluck' sitting on his Mara Lago roost directing lieutenants and sycophants to 'Come!' and "Go!"  You don't have to tell us anything; we can piece the scraps and bits together circumstantially for now. (Smile.)

I see "stupid (people)" in the execution.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.6.18  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.6.17    3 years ago

Oh, in other words, you can't support your claims and thus change the subject whenever you are asked a question.

CB
Professor Principal
1.6.19  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.6.18    3 years ago

@1.6.17 I see "stupid (people)" in the execution.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.6.20  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.6.19    3 years ago

"Mirrors are the window to the soul".

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.6.21  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Texan1211 @1.6.20    3 years ago

thus the screened inn porch

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2  igknorantzrulz    3 years ago

The GOP, blockers of Democracy, in actions reactionary to the LYING and inaction of the Republican faction to properly represent ALL of the peoples, as they deny anything making it easier for ALL OF THE PEOPLES, to vote. From the valleys to the Steeples, they are Fcking over the peoples for and by whom they are allegedly there to represent, and ALL should resent their attempt to defy what OUR COUNTRY WAS BUILT UPON, as the masses that give these fckers passes also, especially on MEMORIAL DAY, disgrace what so many gave LIFE and Limb for. Our Country is worth so much more....

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  igknorantzrulz @2    3 years ago

Let me know when you can not vote.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Texan1211  replied to    3 years ago

Not "aimed" at anyone.

Try again.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Texan1211  replied to    3 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Texan1211  replied to    3 years ago

Oooh, I just really love amateur psychologists plying their trade on people they haven't even met yet!

Tell me more!!!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  igknorantzrulz @2    3 years ago

Every voter this affects should vote blue and send these R morons packing.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  Krishna    3 years ago

A good gesture-- but their Neanderthal  governor will take action soon. :-(

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1  bugsy  replied to  Krishna @3    3 years ago

Good...as he should

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @3    3 years ago

Seems like many blue state governors are now using Neanderthal thinking, too.

Must really be frustrating to those who want them to be so much different and "better".

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
4  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    3 years ago

I triple-dog-dare Gov. Abbott to piss off American Airlines.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1  CB  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4    3 years ago

And Tesla Inc. . . wonder what's Eli Musk's opinion on being a new partner in a state that narrows the power of people just for selfish political interests and power-grabbing control.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.1    3 years ago
wonder what's Eli Musk's opinion on being a new partner in a state that narrows the power of people just for selfish political interests and power-grabbing control.

Probably grateful that Texas welcomed him and all the jobs he creates with open arms and probably won't be too worried that some folks will have to adjust their usual voting pattern by a few hours.

After all, those same folks have adjusted their voting patterns at other times when days and hours to vote have changed, so we know it can be done quite easily.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.1    3 years ago

Still waiting for you to explain why the Sunday voting times needed to be tweaked. 

It will be a long wait won't it? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.2    3 years ago

I never claimed it needed to be tweaked, but it certainly is no calamity that it was.

Is 3 hours really that meaningful when there are so many other hours to vote?

People adjust to changing schedules, just look at how many started to vote on Sunday when it wasn't allowed for so long.

Interesting fact:

Texas was the first state to allow early in person voting.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.4  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.1    3 years ago

So you are Eli Musk 'plaining' now too? Or do you have an Musk opinion piece on this subject or associated thoughts? Yes or No?

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.5  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.3    3 years ago

What's it to Texas Republican legislators when democrats legally vote? 'Red' Texans could just have easily used the 'Blue' Texans time-allotment to their advantage. So what's the problem when voting succeeds that Governor Abbott is rushing to fix? It's working? Why "tinker around" with it? No bull patty.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.1.4    3 years ago
So you are Eli Musk 'plaining' now too?

You wondered what Musk thought, I told you what I thought, seems extremely logical to me, and I am rather perplexed that it isn't to you.

Or do you have an Musk opinion piece on this subject or associated thoughts?

Nope, I didn't know that was a requirement to voice my opinion. When did that rule go into effect?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.1.5    3 years ago

They wanted to do it, they will probably do it.

3 hours doesn't seem like such a big deal to me, but then again, I know there are lots of other hours to go vote here.

Just for kicks, what state do you live in?

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.8  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.6    3 years ago

So you "probably" don't know what Eli Musk thoughts are about this. It is interesting that he once/still/has a residence wherever he wants in California (too). He certainly understands liberal politics without a doubt. But I don't know and I simply wonder about the man: Eli Musk and Tesla and Texas politics messing stuff up.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.1.8    3 years ago

Okay.

Man, I already explained it to you.

Texas politics didn't mess up, it just did something you don't like.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.10  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.9    3 years ago

Yes. . . you did - didn't you? /sarcasm.

And I questioned why Governor Abbott in the aftermath of a successful voter count for 2020 general election: what's the problem when voting succeeds that Governor Abbott is rushing to fix? It's working? Why "tinker around" with it?

Did you already explain the WHY, Texan? No bull patty.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.11  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.7    3 years ago

For flips and giggles I am in California.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.12  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.6    3 years ago

Eli Musk is a visionary leader. Such intelligentsia don't usually stir the fires of local politics. But when the locals are so disturbed and vexated that they are prepared to cut commercial noses off to spite faces, Eli Musk condescend to peruse such matters. That's why I wonder what Mr. Musk is thinking about Texas messing with voting rights and privileges.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.13  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  CB @4.1.11    3 years ago

Me too.  Howdy neighbor.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.14  CB  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.1.13    3 years ago

HOWDY Paula!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4    3 years ago

I don't think he will be around much longer.  Support for Matthew M. to run is growing with both R's and D's.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
4.2.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.2    3 years ago
Support for Matthew M. to run is growing with both R's and D's.

The very thought makes me all tingly and giddy.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.2.1    3 years ago

That man is so fine that I just want to put him on a plate and sop him up with a biscuit.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.2.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.2.1    3 years ago

Have you seen A Time To Kill?  If you haven't, watch it and I dare you not to cry during his court final summation.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago
Under revisions during closed-door negotiations, Republicans added language to the 67-page measure that would have made it easier for a judge to overturn an election. The bill would have also eliminated drive-through voting and 24-hour polling centers, both of which Harris County—the state's largest Democratic stronghold—introduced last year.

They dont even try to hide their bigotry. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.1  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @5    3 years ago

What bigotry is that, John?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @5.1    3 years ago

Just the usual theatrics and hysterical lies being bandied about.

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.1.2  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.1    3 years ago

I think they are running out of new terms to use to demean anyone that does not think like them, so they have to recycle the old ones, even when they don't know what most of them mean.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @5.1    3 years ago

THAT RIGHT UP IN YOUR FACE BIGOTRY.  WE KNOW EVERYTHING'S BIGGER IN TEX-ASS, INCLUDING THEIR BIGOTRY!

WHAT THEY'RE DOING IS VOTER SUPPRESSION, STRAIGHT UP!

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.1.4  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.3    3 years ago
THAT RIGHT UP IN YOUR FACE BIGOTRY

How so, Tess...

Be specific.

Just because you THINK something is straight up doesn't make it so.

Are blacks unable to vote the other 10 days of early voting, or are they only limited by Sundays?

Why do you think blacks are so unable to do anything without a white liberal telling them to?

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.5  CB  replied to  bugsy @5.1.4    3 years ago

Why do you think some conservatives live in Trump's bowels? Some conservatives are getting lessons on how to perpetuate hate and lack of diversity. Why is that not an issue for them? Why all the lies, deceit, and ignoring the other side of America? We're not going away, so y'all might as well get clear on telling us what the problem is. Talk about republican partisanship for a change, "bugsy."

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.1.6  bugsy  replied to  CB @5.1.5    3 years ago
Why do you think some conservatives live in Trump's bowels?

Why do you bring up Trump when no one else has?

Why does he still live in your mind 24/7 six months after the election?

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.7  CB  replied to  bugsy @5.1.6    3 years ago

Why do "white liberals" live 24/7 in your head? How it is that benefiting you?

We can all spend time passing back and forth circular and pointless questions. Why not just get to the point?!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @5.1.4    3 years ago

There's that dog whistle again!

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.1.9  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.8    3 years ago
There's that dog whistle again!

Again, that only racists hear...hint...you heard it

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.10  CB  replied to  bugsy @5.1.9    3 years ago

Yeah, that does not work here. We feel and live through oppression and suppression from racist-treatment of policies, issues, and law enactments. As a result, it's wise to listen up for dog whistles as and  act of prevention.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @5    3 years ago

Do you chastise your local leaders for their policies on voting times and dates?

Can you vote on any Sunday?

Can all Illinois residents?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
7  Ozzwald    3 years ago
Why do you ask inane questions unrelated to what I post?

Am I talking to you?  Nope, so go away.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @7    3 years ago

Not how it works here.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
8  Hal A. Lujah    3 years ago

I doubt that Republicans even think that tinkering with Sunday voting hours is actually going to affect black voter turnout, since it’s a pretty simple hurdle to overcome.  They are more interested in the racist dog whistle of the message.  It’s more like an advertisement to attract racists to their cause.  The real concern is the measures they are imposing to overturn elections.  I think we are going to see a lot of widespread legalized voter fraud, Republican style.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1  Tessylo  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8    3 years ago

Yup, they're looking to overturn all the elections where trumpturd LOST BIGLY!

Also Hal, that's all they got, along with projection, deflection, and denial.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @8.1    3 years ago

His now home state FL even found there was no fraud.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8    3 years ago
They are more interested in the racist dog whistle of the message.  It’s more like an advertisement to attract racists to their cause.  

Amazingly, progressive liberals seem quite adept at hearing these "racist dog whistles" and come a-running!!!!!!!!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
8.2.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Texan1211 @8.2    3 years ago

So what is your theory on why Sunday voting hours would need tweaking?  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8.2.1    3 years ago

Why not tweak them?

Did you have any problems with any election laws being tweaked because of the pandemic?

Oh, gee, can't vote until 1 pm on a Sunday of early voting in Texas, bet that will really have an effect on many folks, just like not having polls open 24/7 has an effect on them.

I am curious as to why you all aren't going after any states that do not allow ANY Sunday voting.

Seems hypocritical.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.2.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8.2.1    3 years ago
Why not tweak them?

Never underestimate the steel trap thinking of a conservative. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
8.2.4  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @8.2.3    3 years ago

I wasn’t expecting a coherent answer, Tex did not disappoint.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @8.2.3    3 years ago

Never underestimate the ability of progressive liberals to be hypocritical.

did you know that your very own state doesn't allow Sunday voting until 8 days before the election, and then only requires it from 10 am to 4 pm, and also requires only polls to be open on Saturday from 9am -12pm?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8.2.4    3 years ago

Maybe one day you will obtain the ability to recognize coherence.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
8.2.7  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Texan1211 @8.2.6    3 years ago

Lol.  I asked “why”.  Your answer was “why not”.  [removed]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.8  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8.2.7    3 years ago

If only progressive liberals were as worried about what happens in their own states instead of always worrying about Texas.

You faux concern for Texas is duly noted.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.2.9  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8.2.4    3 years ago

"Why did you burn down that police station?" 

"Why not burn it down?"

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.10  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @8.2.9    3 years ago

Why aren't polls in Illinois opened longer on Saturdays?

9-12 seems "suppressive".

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
8.2.11  Greg Jones  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8.2.1    3 years ago

Why should the polls be open on Sunday at all.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.12  Texan1211  replied to  Greg Jones @8.2.11    3 years ago
Why should the polls be open on Sunday at all.

In some states, they aren't.

State Laws Governing Early Voting (ncsl.org)

The time period for early voting varies from state to state:

• The date on which early voting begins may be as early as 45 days before the election, or as late as the Friday before the election. The average starting time for early voting is 22 days before the election.
  • Early voting typically ends just a few days before Election Day.
  • Early voting periods range in length from four days to 45 days; the average length is 19 days.
  • Of the states that allow early in-person voting, 24 and the District of Columbia allow some weekend early voting. 

• Saturday: 20 states, plus the District of Columbia provide for voting on Saturday. Four additional states (California, Kansas, Vermont and Massachusetts) leave it up to county clerks who may choose to allow Saturday voting. Delaware and Virginia will also include Saturday voting when the laws go into effect. 

• Sunday: Five states (Alaska, Illinois, Maryland, New York and Ohio) allow for Sunday voting. Five states (California, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada and Massachusetts) leave it up to county clerks who may choose to be open on Sundays. Florida mandates early voting must begin, including Sunday, the 10th day and end the third day prior to the election for state and federal elections. Local election officials also have the discretion to allow early voting the Sunday prior to the election. Delaware will also include Sunday voting when the law goes into effect in 2022.

But notice the outrage directed at Texas.

LMAO!!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
8.2.13  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Greg Jones @8.2.11    3 years ago

Are you aware that most people don’t work on Sundays?  Yes, I’m sure you are.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
8.2.14  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @8.2.9    3 years ago

Answers to American History final exam:

1.  Why not?

2.  Why not?

3.  Why not?

4.  Why not?

5.  Why not?

6.  Why not?

7.  Why not?

8.  Why not?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.2.15  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8.2.14    3 years ago

Some people think that if they never do anything but ask questions they can never be wrong. Of course, then , they can never be right either. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
8.2.16  Greg Jones  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8.2.13    3 years ago

And most polls nationwide are closed also

bugsy
Professor Participates
8.2.17  bugsy  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8.2.1    3 years ago

That's an easy one.

Here in the south, black Americans that go to church usually go to mid morning services that normally do not get out until around noon, or later. This includes poll workers in predominate black neighborhoods. Because of that, the voting traffic in these areas are very low in the morning hours.

This gives poll workers the opportunity to attend church before the go to engage in their volunteer civic duty.

All it takes is a little critical thinking.

bugsy
Professor Participates
8.2.18  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @8.2.10    3 years ago
9-12 seems "suppressive"

And a bit of white supremist.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.19  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @8.2.18    3 years ago

LOL!!!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2.20  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @8.2.18    3 years ago

Funny how you don't know how to spell white 'supremacist'!  LOL!  Or pretend not to

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.2.21  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @8.2.20    3 years ago

That little blue line under a word (spell checker) has saved my ass more than once.

CB
Professor Principal
8.2.22  CB  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.2.21    3 years ago

HA!

bugsy
Professor Participates
8.2.23  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @8.2.20    3 years ago
Funny how you don't know how to spell white 'supremacist'!  LOL!  Or pretend not to

Funny how those that fully align themselves with their favorite groups know how to spell that group flawlessly.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2.24  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @8.2.23    3 years ago

jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9  Tessylo    3 years ago

194024451_4303737316327447_2167432064254987700_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=E_i8iONO_AIAX8vTijH&tn=ddyv9WRSVi2y4Anp&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=e3cb1eb8818fbb6d8e24ddce49e02150&oe=60DABB51

bugsy
Professor Participates
11  bugsy    3 years ago

What leftists don't understand is that the Constitution calls for one day of elections, not multiple days, Saturday, Sundays, etc...only on a Tuesday, and a specific one at that

Any other day than that Tuesday is a convenience given by each state.

Anyone complaining they can't vote on a day other than the first Tuesday of November are nothing more than a bunch of whiny little bitches.

CB
Professor Principal
11.2  CB  replied to  bugsy @11    3 years ago

And what does that make some conservatives who can't stomach the fact that when voting is expansive, their sorry 'stop the world'   so we can get off policies and programs for overachievers get drowned in a political bathtub? I know it's frightening to know that in a fair (state) fight, many voters don't give a rank __ about conservatism.

FortunateSon
Freshman Silent
12  FortunateSon    3 years ago

Abbott will dock their pay and the law will pass in special session.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
12.1  Tessylo  replied to  FortunateSon @12    3 years ago

They should dock their own pay, the republicans that is, for not doing dick, other than passing voter suppression bills.  Oh and backing trumpturd and his mob's failed coup/insurrection.  

bugsy
Professor Participates
12.1.1  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @12.1    3 years ago
mob's failed coup/insurrection.  

Here is an easy one for you (maybe).

Out of all those arrested in connection with January 6, how many of them were arrested for staging a coup/insurrection?

Let me help you....

None

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @12.1.1    3 years ago
Out of all those arrested in connection with January 6, how many of them were arrested for staging a coup/insurrection?

Let me help you....

None

Kind of interesting, isn't it?

Slam-dunk cases, we have been told, and we have also been told so many, many times that those in attendance are traitors and committed treason that surely we could have one person actually charged that way.

Seems like citing Jeffrey Dahmer for  grand larceny instead of charging him with murder.

bugsy
Professor Participates
12.1.3  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @12.1.2    3 years ago

My guess is charges for most will be dropped, and rightfully so. When that happens, BLM and ANTIFA will once again go on a looting and arson rant in blue cities, and we won't hear a peep from the loon left media.....or any leftist on here.

They will once again act like nothing had happened.