╌>

New York City's Mayoral Election

Category:  News & Politics

By:  vic-eldred  •  3 years ago  •  17 comments

New York City's Mayoral Election
"We have an option of a candidate who can center people, racial justice, economic justice and climate justice," Ocasio-Cortez said during her announcement in New York City. "[Wiley] didn't just come up to run for mayor but has experience and has a lifetime of dedication to this."

On June 22nd the NYC Mayoral election will begin with Republican and democratic primaries. The general election will be held on November 2nd. After all that has happened in the past few years and in the reign of Bill de Blasio the the overriding issue, like the elephant in the room, is the rise in crime.

"For the month of April 2021, overall index crime in New York City rose 30.4% compared with April 2020, driven by a 66% increase in grand larceny (2,659 v. 1,601) and a 35.6% increase in felony assault (1,630 v. 1,202). Robbery saw a 28.6% increase compared to April 2020 (885 v. 688), and shooting incidents increased to 149 v. 56 in April 2020 (+166.1%). Burglary was the only index crime to post a reduction – down 26% (855 v. 1,155) in April 2021, compared to the previous year."

April 2021 April 2020 +/- % YTD 2021 YTD 2020 +/- %
Murder 44 38 +6 +15.8% 132 +112 +20 +17.9%
Rape 110 72 +38 +52.8% 444 +440 +4 +0.9%
Robbery 885 688 +197 +28.6% 3484 4155 -671 -16.1%
Fel. Assault 1630 1202 +428 +35.6% 6179 5963 +216 +3.6%
Burglary 855 1155 -300 -26.0% 3699 4336 -637 -14.7%
Grand
Larceny
2659 1601 1058 66.1% 10168 11683 -1515 -13.0%
G.L.A. 749 -558 191 -34.2% 2566 2107 459 21.8%
TOTAL 6932 5314 +1618 +30.4% 26672 28796 -2124 -7.4%

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/news/pr0505/nypd-citywide-crime-statistics-april-2021

Added to the mix, this will be the first time that the primaries will use the confusing & controversial "ranked choice" system, which allows voters to vote for up to 5 candidates in order of preference. There are 13 candidates running in the democrat primary and 2 in the Republican primary. The good news being that de Blasio can't run again. The bad news is that his radical former counsel, Maya Wiley can.
Starting with the democrat primaries (registered democrats outnumber registered Republican in NYC by about 6-1) here is the most important candidates in order of what normally would be their importance:

110px-Andrew_Yang_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg Andrew Yang

Once a candidate for president, he is the democrats law & order candidate

112px-Kathryn_Garcia_on_the_Upper_East_Side_%28cropped%29.jpg Kathryn Garcia

Quickly rising candidate - Commissioner of NYC Sanitation Department (2014-2020)

104px-Borough_President_Adams_%28cropped%29.jpg Eric Adams

Brooklyn Borough President, former NY state senator and former NYPD Captain

114px-Maya_Wiley_2_%28cropped%29.jpg Maya Wiley

Former Counsel to Bill de Blasio and former ACLU and NAACP legal defense fund attorney. The one for all New Yorkers to fear.

On the Republican side:

136px-Curtis_Sliwa_mahmood_%28cropped%29.jpg Curtis Sliwa

Founder of "the Guardian Angels" and the personification of law & order.

142px-Fernando_Mateo_Headshot.jpg Fernando Mateo

Are you ready? The founder of the New York state Federation of taxi drivers.

Here is the big problem: How many people vote in primaries?  I know I don't. On the democrat side I sincerely doubt that many moderate democrats do. I firmly believe that a good many radical progressives have shown up to determine the outcome of democratic primaries.
That would mean that NYC might very well face the prospect of another dangerous radical, one who has already vowed to slash $18 Million from the NYPD budget.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/decision-2021/2021/04/21/wiley-s-nypd-reform-plan--a--1-billion-cut-and-possibly-a-civilian-commissioner#:~:text=Wiley%E2%80%99s%20policing%20plan%20also%20calls%20for%20an%20%2418,to%20defund%20the%20police%20say%20is%20not%20enough .

My advice to every concerned democrat in the city of New York:  Get out and vote in the primary!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  author  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

Democrats tell us they love when more people vote. Let's see it in the primaries!

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.1  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

... and why should people fear Maya Wiley ... just because AOC endorsed her? Or is it the vague connection to that right wing bogyman Soros? Maya is as far left as you are far right ... all we need to figure out is just how far right.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @1.1    3 years ago

She is about as far left as you and 8 others here are  - as in - as far left as you can go. A vote for her is a vote for even more crime.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

Founder of "the Guardian Angels" and the personification of law & order

He is the exact opposite of the R party then.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2    3 years ago

He is the opposite of the scum that freely rioted for 12 months.

Hallux
PhD Principal
3  Hallux    3 years ago

"Founder of "the Guardian Angels" and the personification of law & order."

In 1992, Sliwa admitted that he and the Guardian Angels faked heroic subway rescues for publicity. He also admitted to falsely claiming three off-duty transit police officers had kidnapped him.

Care to expand Vic? Or to digress?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Hallux @3    3 years ago

I havent really followed Sliwa since the "old days" when he used to come on venues like Geraldo Rivera show and Phil Donohue a lot. 

As far as I can see from a distance, he seems to have become an eccentric.  I find it hard to believe NY could vote him in as mayor. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @3    3 years ago

And Woodrow Wilson faked an official fake news agency to persuade the American people to support the United States entry into WWI.

Where was your outrage?  At least Sliwa put people on the subways which were and are the scene of so much mayhem. 

Care to expand Vic? Or to digress?

You bet your ass I will. In other words you stand with the violent thugs and a white hating mayor who emasculated and humiliated the NYPD?

It's on you now. Care to explain yourself?

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.2.1  pat wilson  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2    3 years ago
And Woodrow Wilson faked a little over 100 years ago President Woodrow Wilson faked an official fake news agency

You may still have time to edit that incoherent string of words, hurry.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  pat wilson @3.2.1    3 years ago

Thanks for your sincere concern.

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.2.3  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2    3 years ago
"In other words you stand with the violent thugs and a white hating mayor who emasculated and humiliated the NYPD?"

I do? Do digress as I have no knowledge of this.

Woodrow Wilson? I'm just not that old Vic ... are you?

Now that I've explained myself, are there any other ill bred fantasies occupying you?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.4  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @3.2.3    3 years ago
I do

You don't?  Let me hear you denounce BLM and antifa.

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.2.5  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.4    3 years ago

Do you want to drop by for that ... tea or coffee? Until then, show me where I have ever praised or excused them?

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.2.6  bugsy  replied to  Hallux @3.2.5    3 years ago

I don't think he is asking that. He is simply asking you to denounce them.

We conservatives here have found that is impossible to have those on the left denounce the groups, or even simply just the violence they commit.

Can you do that?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.7  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @3.2.5    3 years ago
Do you want to drop by for that ... tea or coffee?

I like my coffee with cream and two sugars, my Rum with a bit of Coke & plenty of ice, my steak with plenty of A1 sauce and my women in stockings & heels.

It's the extra's that make all the difference with me.

Until then, show me where I have ever praised or excused them?

You never have and that's the point!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.8  JohnRussell  replied to  bugsy @3.2.6    3 years ago
We conservatives here have found that is impossible to have those on the left denounce the groups, or even simply just the violence they commit.

Conservatives, here and elsewhere, largely do not operate in good faith. 

I , by the way, object to all violence other than for self defense. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.2.9  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.8    3 years ago
I , by the way, object to all violence other than for self defense. 

I'll ignore the insult in the first sentence, so I will move on to the second...

Do you think ANTIFA and BLM riots are violence....or somehow self defense?