╌>

Republican Wins Mayoral Race in 85% Latino Texas Town Where Hillary Clinton Won by 40 Points

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  3 years ago  •  9 comments

By:   Alexandra Hutzler (MSN)

Republican Wins Mayoral Race in 85% Latino Texas Town Where Hillary Clinton Won by 40 Points
Javier Villalobos defeated Democrat Veronica Vela Whitacre by 206 votes in a runoff election over the weekend, according to unofficial election results reported by KRGV.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The city of McAllen, Texas—a border town that went for Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump by 40 points in 2016—just elected a Republican mayor.

© SERGIO FLORES/AFP via Getty Images A voter walks toward a polling location on election day in Austin, Texas on November 3, 2020. The city of McAllen, Texas—a border town that went for Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump by 40 points in 2016—just elected a Republican to serve as mayor.

Javier Villalobos defeated Democrat Veronica Vela Whitacre by 206 votes in a runoff election over the weekend, according to unofficial election results reported by KRGV. Votes will be canvassed and certified by city officials on June 14.

Villalobos, an attorney and former chairman of Texas' Hidalgo County Republican Party, thanked his supporters and campaign team following his narrow victory.

"Thank you McAllen for trusting and believing in me. I promise to not let you down," he added.

Villalobos' win is part of a growing trend of incremental conservative success in south Texas, a usual Democratic stronghold and majority-Hispanic area. McAllen is home to roughly 150,000 residents, of whom 85 percent are Latino.

Clinton won Hidalgo County, which is home to McAllen, by 40.5 percentage points in the 2016 presidential election. But in 2020, Joe Biden's defeat over Trump was 17 percentage points—half that of Clinton's.

The Texas Tribune found after the 2020 race that Biden underperformed Clinton in 28 counties along the border or in south Texas. Clinton won them by an average of 33 points, while Biden won by a combined 17 percentage points.

At the congressional level, last year a Republican candidate came just three points shy of defeating Representative Vicente Gonzalez, whose district includes McAllen. Gonzalez had easily won re-election in 2018 by 21 points.

Steve Cortes, an adviser to Trump's 2020 campaign, was one of several Republican figures to celebrate the win on Twitter.

"Amazing news! McAllen, Texas is a major border town of 140,000 people. 85% Hispanic—and just elected a Republican mayor," Cortes wrote. "The macro realignment accelerates in South Texas, and elsewhere, as Hispanics rally to America First."

Ronna McDaniel, the chair of the Republican National Committee, called Villalobos' victory and another Republican mayoral win in Fort Worth a sign that voters are rejecting the Biden administration's "failed policies."

"Whether rejecting a crisis at the border or a squandered economic recovery, these municipalities moved decidedly toward the GOP, because our policies work," McDaniel wrote on Twitter.

Governor Greg Abbott also said the victory was a signal that Hispanic voters want to "help keep Texas Red."

"Republicans celebrate mayoral win in majority-Hispanic border city, McAllen, Texas," Abbott wrote on Twitter. "Republicans and Hispanics in Texas share common values, and more Hispanics are voting Republican and getting elected as Republicans. They want to help keep Texas Red."

Newsweek reached out to the Texas Democratic Party for their response to Villalobos' victory but didn't receive a response before publication.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

Gee, will any pundits voice an opinion as to how this signifies something about the midterms?

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
1.1  arkpdx  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

I can't wait for the mid terms. I already stocking up on popcorn and other party favors  for the day. I am also stocking up on crayons and coloring books for my liberal acquaintances. It is too early to get them the puppies and kittens. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

Personally. I look for the pundits to be largely silent, but if they do speak up it will be to call the results a localized aberration that will have zero effects on the  mid terms.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3  TᵢG    3 years ago

Fascinating that the D machine that was able to rig the presidential election —and for the first time in history inaugurate an illegitimate PotUS— is unable to hold a D win in a Hillary city.     256

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @3    3 years ago

Equally fascinating is how a Republican won anything in a city where Biden won by 17 points less than a year ago, especially in a state Democrats have assured us is turning blue.

/s

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    3 years ago

Absolutely.   How is it possible that Rs are winning anything given the demonstrable power of the D machine which stole the presidential election without a trace of evidence?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.1    3 years ago

Must have just been all of those alleged voter suppression efforts really paying off!!

Finally, our very own Tio Tomas!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.3  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.1    3 years ago

Gee, you don't imagine the GOP was using this race as a test run on how to suppress votes even in minority-majority areas, do you?

If so, the midterms might not even be competitive!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.4  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.2    3 years ago

The conspiracy theories and partisan myths are ridiculous.   I think we agree on that.