╌>

Julie Burchill says she's been sacked by Telegraph after racist tweet about Harry and Meghan's baby Lilibet | The Independent

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  3 years ago  •  2 comments

By:   Leonie Chao-Fong (The Independent)

Julie Burchill says she's been sacked by Telegraph after racist tweet about Harry and Meghan's baby Lilibet | The Independent
'It's been a lovely five years' the columnist posted on Facebook

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Newspaper columnist Julie Burchill says she has been "sacked" by the Daily Telegraph, a day after after tweeting a racist comment about the name of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's daughter, Lilibet.

The Brighton-based writer made the announcement on her Facebook page on Tuesday.

"I've been sacked by the Telegraph - it's been a lovely five years, and I'll always be grateful to them for ending my wilderness years," she wrote.

"However, I'd be lying if I said that I hadn't often moaned to my husband recently about them always rejecting my edgy column ideas and giving me more pedestrian ones - which I've done splendidly anyway."

"Onwards and upwards!" she added.

Telegraph Media Group has been contacted for comment.

Julie Burchill and Prince Harry and Meghan Markle

(Photo by BEN STANSALL/AFP via Getty Images)

After the Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced the arrival of their second child on Sunday, Ms Burchill tweeted: "What a missed opportunity! They could have called it Georgina Floydina!"

The post was met with a backlash on social media, where it was described as "disgusting racism" and "despicable". A barrister who tweeted an offensive joke in response to Burchill's post was suspended from her job on Monday and apologised.

George Floyd's murder by a white police officer last summer in Minneapolis led to worldwide Black Lives Matter protests.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    3 years ago

Burchill definitely deserved to be sacked for this...

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    3 years ago

Maybe I shouldn’t be, but I’m always blown away at how a racist like this can totally lack any self awareness. They just assume, without a second thought, that everyone will find their horrible joke to be just as funny as they do.