╌>

Research Journal Publishes Article Calling 'Whiteness' a 'Parasitic-Like Condition'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  3 years ago  •  27 comments

By:   Rudy Takala (MSN)

Research Journal Publishes Article Calling 'Whiteness' a 'Parasitic-Like Condition'
The Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association is raising eyebrows among readers for publishing an article that claimed "whiteness" is a "parasitic-like condition." The post Research Journal Publishes Article Calling 'Whiteness' a 'Parasitic-Like Condition' first appeared on Mediaite.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

© Provided by Mediaite

Klaus Vedfelt/Getty Images

The Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association is raising eyebrows among readers for publishing an article that claimed "whiteness" is a "parasitic-like condition."

"Whiteness is a condition one first acquires and then one has — a malignant, parasitic-like condition to which 'white' people have a particular susceptibility," said the article, was authored by Dr. Donald Moss . "The condition is foundational, generating characteristic ways of being in one's body, in one's mind, and in one's world."

The author, an instructor at the New York Psychoanalytic Institute and at the San Francisco Center for Psychoanalysis, added, "Parasitic Whiteness renders its hosts' appetites voracious, insatiable, and perverse. These deformed appetites particularly target nonwhite peoples."

: The Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association just published a study likening "whiteness" to "a malignant, parasitic-like condition" for which "there is not yet a permanent cure."

This is nuts. pic.twitter.com/rVqYJ0C2Fq

— John Cooper (@thejcoop) June 9, 2021

How do my colleagues consider this scholarship? Anyone actuality take this seriously? #science#psychology

On Having Whiteness - Donald Moss, 2021 https://t.co/MTsfaj9DUU

— Dr.PhilipPellegrino (@DrPhilipPellegr) June 8, 2021

The journal that published this boasts that it has rigorous peer review https://t.co/zyfhCW89wQ
— Zaid Jilani (@ZaidJilani) June 9, 2021

The article provoked attention from critics, but it wasn't Moss' first foray into the subject of "Whiteness." He previously lectured on the topic for the Center for Modern Psychoanalytic Studies in New York — which offered continuing education credits to professionals who shelled out $40 to attend the lecture, titled, "On Having Whiteness." An abstract for that event indicated that patients could be "treated" for the condition, advising, "Effective treatment consists of a combination of psychic and social-historical interventions. Such interventions can reasonably aim only to reshape Whiteness's infiltrated appetites — to reduce their intensity, redistribute their aims, and occasionally turn those aims toward the work of reparation. When remembered and represented, the ravages wreaked by the chronic condition can function either as warning ('never again') or as temptation ('great again')."

The post Research Journal Publishes Article Calling 'Whiteness' a 'Parasitic-Like Condition' first appeared on Mediaite. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

"Research" journal?

LMMFAO!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

For once, I totally agree with your comment.

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Quiet
2  exexpatnowinTX    3 years ago
He previously lectured on the topic for the Center for Modern Psychoanalytic Studies in New York — which offered continuing education credits to professionals who shelled out $40 to attend the lecture, titled, "On Having Whiteness."

And there it is.  Proof positive that 'researchers' only do 'research' so they can make a buck at the public and gullible trough.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
3  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    3 years ago

What?

I know this supposedly goes deeper, but to me this is saying that if you're white, you're a problem... no, rather a parasite. 

As I've stated plenty of times before, assholes come in many shapes, sizes, colors, religions, sexes, sexual orientations, etc. Just because I don't want to associate myself with an asshole, doesn't mean I lump that asshole into a stereotype. I simply don't want to associate with assholes, nothing more beyond that.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4  Just Jim NC TttH    3 years ago

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4    3 years ago
"Everyone I know grew up poor to middle class"

And is everyone you know white?

"And have had to work their asses off for everything they have ever gotten"

But has anyone you know been denied bank loans, been prevented from renting in certain areas, denied job training and other benefits of the GI bill after serving their country in WW2, were not allowed to sit in certain seats on the bus or eat at most restaurants, had store security follow them around or been stopped and frisked by police all because of their skin color?

Unless you've grown up as a minority you can't say with any authority that white privilege is a myth. You may be blissfully unaware of the privileges in society that you are enjoying that your skin color affords you, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. A runner running a mile race does have to work to get where they are going, but just because they didn't see that other runners were forced to start an extra mile behind them because of their skin color doesn't mean they aren't enjoying some sort of privilege. And when that runner that starts a mile ahead rubs his 1st place trophy in their faces and acts like the king of the world it will obviously frustrate the runners who had to run two miles to get to the finish line.

" When Affirmative Action Was White: An Untold History of Racial Inequality in Twentieth-Century America "

"As New Deal politicians began constructing government programs to deal with welfare, work, and war in the 1930s and 1940s, they deliberately excluded or treated differently the vast majority of African Americans. The central reason, according to Ira Katznelson, was because Democratic leaders needed the support of southern representatives in Congress to pass their ambitious legislative programs. Framing the entire New Deal coalition as a Faustian bargain between white progressives and white segregationists , the author shows how the South used its influence to gain local control over federally-funded government projects.

The result was that federal aid in the South became contingent on southern Jim Crow . At the exact moment when the "activist" state was giving whites the tools to create a robust middle class, African Americans were being systematically isolated from the benefits of public assistance. Stated differently, "affirmative action" did not emerge as a new program in the late 1960s. According to Katznelson, it had deep roots in the 1930s and played an active role in   exacerbating   the socio-economic chasm between whites and blacks in the post-World War II years.

" African Americans were denied access to economic relief during the New Deal. Although many federal officials understood that black sharecroppers were the hardest hit group during the Great Depression, a full 65 percent of African Americans were denied access to social security benefits, government grants, elderly poor assistance, and unemployment insurance . Administered by local politicians throughout the South, New Deal relief programs were simply not given to the vast majority of African Americans. The result was the deepening of black rural poverty."

" while white workers throughout the United States gained the means to organize and improve their standard of living, the sectors dominated by African American workers were left to languish in further poverty. When blacks finally gained access to some industrial jobs during World War II, southern congressmen conveniently abandoned labor reform and helped pass the Republican Party's Taft-Hartley Act (1947). According to Katznelson, Taft-Hartley not only placated the labor movement in the South, but it also decoupled the burgeoning connections between civil rights agitation and demands for economic equality."

" When Affirmative Action Was White  looks at the wartime experiences of African Americans and the discriminatory dimensions of the G.I. Bill. While white ethnics from eastern and southern Europe experienced a revolutionary transformation in their status as American citizens because of their participation in World War II, blacks experienced segregation in the armed forces. In the years that followed the war this exclusion resulted in a cruel catch-22, as most African Americans were denied access to the resources of the Selective Service Readjustment Act (1944) because they had not served in the military. The federal government stepped in to pay mortgages for white veterans and upgrade educational institutions throughout the country, but most African Americans watched these developments from the sidelines . The cumulative effect of these policies was the widening of the economic gap along racial lines."

" G.I. Bill of Rights, a series of programs that poured $95 billion into expanding opportunity for soldiers returning from World War II. Over all, the G.I. Bill was a dramatic success, helping 16 million veterans attend college, receive job training, start businesses and purchase their first homes ."

"He cites one 1940's study that concluded it was " as though the G.I. Bill had been earmarked 'For White Veterans Only. ' " Southern Congressional leaders made certain that the programs were directed not by Washington but by local white officials, businessmen, bankers and college administrators who would honor past practices. As a result, thousands of black veterans in the South -- and the North as well -- were denied housing and business loans, as well as admission to whites-only colleges and universities. They were also excluded from job-training programs for careers in promising new fields like radio and electrical work, commercial photography and mechanics. Instead, most African-Americans were channeled toward traditional, low-paying "black jobs" and small black colleges, which were pitifully underfinanced and ill equipped to meet the needs of a surging enrollment of returning soldiers."

The legacy of such policies live on long after they are eliminated, both in the white communities that benefited heavily from these aid programs and built white wealth for millions of white Americans, but also for black communities that were denied those programs, job training and home ownership. The long lasting effects continue to this day and those who try to ignore or deny these facts often do so because of the legacies of deep seated prejudice that was also passed down to them from their ancestors, parents and peers.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @4.1    3 years ago

Good post. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  Tessylo    3 years ago

SO another woe is me, I'm a victim of my white privilege 'article'

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @5    3 years ago

When one actually reads the article, they learn that isn't what it's about.

Thanks for your contribution.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
6  lady in black    3 years ago

I am white, born that way, I won't apologize to anyone and no, I'm not a parasite..Where do these idiots come from with these stupid studies.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  lady in black @6    3 years ago
Where do these idiots come from with these stupid studies.

Academia of course.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
6.2  Sunshine  replied to  lady in black @6    3 years ago

From their peers.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7  Nerm_L    3 years ago

And?  Dr. Donald Moss is skirting over the question of whether 'whiteness' is a learned behavior or an evolved trait.

Moss is presuming that 'whiteness' can be corrected the same way that conversion therapy can correct homosexuality.  That's a huge presumption.  And don't forget that conversion therapy for homosexuality came from psychoanalysts making presumptions justified by their own biases.  

JBB
Professor Principal
8  JBB    3 years ago

Lack of melanin is nothing to be proud or ashamed of.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @8    3 years ago

The guy is an idiot.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9  JohnRussell    3 years ago

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10  JohnRussell    3 years ago

These kinds of technical papers within the field of psychiatry are really not made for consumption by a lay audience. 

No one has to take it to heart unless they are looking to be offended. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @10    3 years ago

Technical??

Lmao

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @10.1    3 years ago

This is the information connected to purchasing the article. Is this something you have familiarity with?

Now Im laughing my ass off.

On Hating in the First Person Plural: Thinking Psychoanalytically About Racism, Homophobia, and Misogyny

First Published   August 1, 2001   Research Article   Find in PubMed

Abstract

On the basis of personal, cultural, and clinical references, misogyny, homophobia, and racism are conceptualized as structured forms of hatred grounded in a defensive use of the first person plural voice. This use of hatred defends against dangers associated with desires linked to the first person singular. In these hatreds, “I want” is defensively transformed into “we hate.” Disidentification from and hatred of the object appear where identification and yearning had been. Along with this defensive move into plurality, with these forms of hatred comes the use of what is conceptualized as the “hermeneutics of transparency.” Here the hated qualities of the objects in question are sensed to be transparently obvious, a matter not of thought but of perception. The underlying premises of these hatreds are then contrasted with the underlying premises of psychoanalysis. Effective psychoanalytic work with these hatreds entails resisting the moral pressure to disidentify from them, while bearing the often profound discomfort linked with identifying with them.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @10.1.1    3 years ago

Yep, still lmao!

What a spectacular bunch of malarkey!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @10.1.2    3 years ago

The point is these papers are not written for a lay audience and cannot be understood by a lay audience.  

I dont really care about the paper because I have no particular interest in psychiatry. Do you? 

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Quiet
10.1.4  exexpatnowinTX  replied to  JohnRussell @10.1.3    3 years ago
The point is these papers are not written for a lay audience and cannot be understood by a lay audience.  

Is that like the tripe in the 1619 project?:

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @10.1.4    3 years ago

You guys are on a roll . Too bad its all downhill. 

28d11a867c1787c681a4447609294831.jpg

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Quiet
10.1.6  exexpatnowinTX  replied to  JohnRussell @10.1.5    3 years ago
You guys are on a roll . Too bad its all downhill.

Only trying to keep up, or down, depending on your perspective, with "you guys".

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @10    3 years ago

nds of technical papers within the field of psychiatry are really not made for consumption by a lay audience.

Of course not John. That'd be giving the game away. Lay audiences are spoon fed dishonest strawmen to manipulate them into thinking CRT is harmless.  To wit, when CRT is criticized,  the  unthinking liberal is told  that "CRT is just about teaching kids that slavery is terrible  and those mean ole conservatives want to teach kids slavery never happened."  Unthinking liberal says "I agree slavery is bad, therefore CRT is good"

The reality is CRT exists to drill these sort of messages into kids' heads. It's the whole point of CRT.  You want to ignore the theme and pick out isolated facts and say "this is CRT" while ignoring the whole of the picture being painted. 

Hallux
PhD Principal
11  Hallux    3 years ago

Cool, a bad apple to dip a broad brush into.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
12  Tacos!    3 years ago
The Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association is raising eyebrows among readers for publishing an article that claimed "whiteness" is a "parasitic-like condition."

"Whiteness is a condition one first acquires and then one has — a malignant, parasitic-like condition to which 'white' people have a particular susceptibility," said the article, was authored by Dr. Donald Moss . "The condition is foundational, generating characteristic ways of being in one's body, in one's mind, and in one's world."

Yeah, that sounds like a bunch of made up gobbledygook. Not surprising, though. Psychoanalysis has a long, dark history of that kind of thing. You’d think they would have learned better  after labeling homosexuality as a mental illness  based on bogus science and sticking with it decades after the rest of the profession had exposed the truth.