╌>

Top Dems rebuke Ilhan Omar for US, Israel comparison to terrorist groups: 'no moral equivalency'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  3 years ago  •  37 comments

By:   Caitlin McFall (Fox News)

Top Dems rebuke Ilhan Omar for US, Israel comparison to terrorist groups: 'no moral equivalency'
Senior Democratic leadership issued a unified statement Thursday, denouncing comments made by Minnesota Democrat Rep. Ilhan Omar when she compared U.S. and Israeli war crimes to actions by the Taliban and Hamas.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Senior Democratic leaders issued a unified statement Thursday, denouncing comments made by Minnesota Democrat Rep. Ilhan Omar when she compared U.S. and Israeli "war crimes" to actions by the Taliban and Hamas.

The statement was part of an internecine war of words within the Democratic Party, with some leftist members of the caucus supporting Omar against attacks by the leadership.

Omar issued a statement Thursday clarifying her comments after she was met with a flood of criticism from not only Republicans on the Hill, but from members of her own party.

"To be clear: the conversation was about accountability for specific incidents regarding those ICC (International Criminal Court) cases, not a moral comparison between Hamas and the Taliban and the U.S. and Israel," Omar said Thursday.

"I was in no way equating terrorist organizations with democratic countries with well-established judicial systems," she added.

In a statement led by Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and joined by five other elected House Democratic leaders, the top officials thanked Omar for her clarification but warned against making drastic comparisons.

"Drawing false equivalencies between democracies like the U.S. and Israel and groups that engage in terrorism like Hamas and the Taliban foments prejudice and undermines progress toward a future of peace and security for all," the group wrote.

"We welcome the clarification by Congresswoman Omar that there is no moral equivalency between the U.S. and Israel and Hamas and the Taliban," the statement concluded.

The immense backlash came after the congresswoman questioned Secretary of State Antony Blinken during a House Foreign Affairs Committee about ICC investigations into U.S. and Israeli actions in Afghanistan and the Palestinian territories.

She later posted a tweet of their exchange and said, "We have seen unthinkable atrocities committed by the U.S., Hamas, Israel, Afghanistan, and the Taliban," wrote Omar. "I asked @SecBlinken where people are supposed to go for justice."

Some left-wing Democrats lined up with Omar.

New York Democrat Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez condemned the attacks from fellow Democrats, calling them a "mischaracterization" and dangerous.

"Pretty sick & tired of the constant vilification, intentional mischaracterization, and public targeting of Rep. Ilhan Omar coming from our caucus," she said.

"They have no concept for the danger they put her in by skipping private conversations & leaping to fueling targeted news cycles around her."

Fellow "squaders" Rep. Ayanna Pressley and Rep. Cori Bush also threw their support behind Omar Thursday.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

I think something just hit the fan!

This is a case of the immoral condemning the depraved.

man-alone-in-the-cinema-picture-id56964946?k=6&m=56964946&s=612x612&w=0&h=Wm01bNujfYqSl1sNzKsYoIgWUj72OtPga_SFVTa7UGU=

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

Before you start condemning others of which you know nothing about, you should make sure your own backyard is pristine, which it is not. But, you do know that.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1    3 years ago
Before you start condemning others of which you know nothing about, you should make sure your own backyard is pristine, which it is not. But, you do know that.

What did you just do? Physician heal thyself LMAO

Oh the irony............................

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.1    3 years ago
Oh the irony............................

Which is apparently completely lost on some.

Trotsky's Spectre
Freshman Silent
1.3  Trotsky's Spectre  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

'...she compared U.S. and Israeli war crimes to actions by the Taliban and Hamas.'

Arguably, the lot of them are guilty of war crimes. Perhaps the self-righteousness derives from the audacity to interfere with standard narrative.

Personally, I think that proletarians in every nation state ought to deal with their own war criminals.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Trotsky's Spectre @1.3    3 years ago

Maybe so, because to rely on the ICC to define them leads to considering warning civilians to leave the area that will be attacked to be a war crime, but storing missiles in UNWRA schools and firing them from beside occupied apartment buildings, mosques and hospitals is not. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.3.2  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.3.1    3 years ago

Seems to me that your comment is more influenced by the biased media instead of what intelligent people know is the truth.

The ICC is respected all over the world and is relied on by millions to investigate bad actors. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dulay @1.3.2    3 years ago

The media?  Did you ever have to run and hide in a bomb shelter while in Israel, Dulay?  I had to. 

THIS is the media...

Hamas-attacks-Israel.jpg

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.3.4  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.3.3    3 years ago
THIS is the media...

Actually, that looks like another cartoon to me...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dulay @1.3.4    3 years ago

Over the years I have given actual examples of how the media uses headlines to mislead the public, and does not indicate the true story until around 3 or 4 paragraphs down into the story.  The cartoon illustrates that technique very clearly. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2  Ed-NavDoc    3 years ago

But yet some on NT think the "Squad" is the greatest thing to American politics since the invention of the ballot box!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2    3 years ago
some on NT think the "Squad" is the greatest thing to American politics since the invention of the ballot box!

Not here. They may think they are hot stuff, but, in my book they are nothing but left over jello. If they spent as much time working on signification topics as they do trying to generate endless 15 minutes of fame for themselves they might just serve our country in a favorable manner.

They thought they could stand Congress on its ear with t heir self aggrandizement speeches and antics, but, thus far they have only shown just how lacing in both experience and knowledge they are, and only succeed in making fools of themselves.

They have yet to learn that LOUD does not necessarily equal intelligence.

JMOO

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Raven Wing @2.1    3 years ago

Amen.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

According to Talib, there is no free speech for Muslims in Congress.

They hysteria never ends.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    3 years ago

Nor her hypocrisy!

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    3 years ago

Who is voting for this person? I don’t normally subscribe to the idea that this or that politician “hates America,” but if there is one who does, it’s this lady.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tacos! @4    3 years ago

Bottom line is that one has to judge a candidate according to their voter base. In Omar and the other members of the Squad's case, go figure...🤣

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to    3 years ago

Actually, I agree with you 100%.

Dulay
Professor Expert
5  Dulay    3 years ago

Oh I get it, Taliban-Hamas war crimes BAD, US-Israel war crimes GOOD. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Dulay @5    3 years ago

What war crimes?

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
5.1.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1    3 years ago

I guess "war crimes" include protecting your homes/family/government from radical extremists such as Hamas/Taliban rocket/mortar attacks.  Yeah - that's the ticket.

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.1.2  Dulay  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1    3 years ago

The war crimes being investigated by the ICC. THAT is the predicate for the statement that Omar made. But you knew that right Greg? 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Dulay @5.1.2    3 years ago

You still didn't/couldn't/won't answer the question

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.1.4  Dulay  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1.3    3 years ago
You still didn't/couldn't/won't answer the question

I DID answer your question Greg.

Now if you want to know the SPECIFICS, you will have to go on the website of the International Criminal Court and READ about it for yourself. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
5.2  1stwarrior  replied to  Dulay @5    3 years ago

Obviously you don't get it.  The thread is about a member of Congress who continually espouses disdain for the U.S. and the need to curb her disdain and quit denigrating the U.S. and start working for the populace who elected her as THEIR representative,  As a member of Congress, she should be working for the great "Unity and Peace" that this administration is continually advocating - but not producing.

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.2.1  Dulay  replied to  1stwarrior @5.2    3 years ago
The thread is about a member of Congress who continually espouses disdain for the U.S. and the need to curb her disdain and quit denigrating the U.S. and start working for the populace who elected her as THEIR representative

Actually, it isn't.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @5    3 years ago
Oh I get it, Taliban-Hamas war crimes BAD, US-Israel war crimes GOOD. 

Exactly where in the hell do you "GET" this shit from????????

LMMFAO

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.3.1  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3    3 years ago
Exactly where in the hell do you "GET" this shit from???????? LMMFAO

From the seeded article Tex. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.2  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @5.3.1    3 years ago

Your interpretations are often quite amusing!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dulay @5    3 years ago

Seems to me, Dulay, that your comment is more influenced by the biased media instead of what intelligent people know is the truth. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.4.1  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.4    3 years ago
Seems to me, Dulay, that your comment is more influenced by the biased media instead of what intelligent people know is the truth. 

As intelligent person myself Buzz, I come to my own conclusions. 

I would probably be doing the same thing that Israel has been doing, using Iron Dome. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.4.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dulay @5.4.1    3 years ago

Iron dome is helpful but not perfect.  Besides using Iron Dome, you would not do what is necessary to prevent continued bombardment?