╌>

Federal judge halts federal aid program for minority farmers

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  3 years ago  •  9 comments

By:   CBSNews 5 hrs ago (MSN)

Federal judge halts federal aid program for minority farmers
Minority farmers say they have been unfairly denied government assistance for decades.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A federal judge has halted a loan forgiveness program for farmers of color in response to a lawsuit alleging the program discriminates against White farmers.

U.S. District Judge William Griesbach in Milwaukee issued a temporary restraining order Thursday suspending the program for socially disadvantaged farmers and ranchers, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported.

The program pays up to 120% of direct or guaranteed farm loan balances for Black, American Indian, Hispanic, Asian American or Pacific Islander farmers. President Joe Biden's administration created the loan forgiveness program as part of its $1.9 trillion COVID-19 pandemic relief plan.

"This is a big deal for us," John Boyd, Jr., president of the National Black Farmers Association, told CBS MoneyWatch in March when the federal spending package was approved. "We see this as a great opportunity to help thousands."

White farmers "ineligible to even apply"

The conservative Wisconsin Institute for Law and Liberty filed suit in April arguing White farmers aren't eligible for the program, amounting to a violation of their constitutional rights. The firm sued on behalf of 12 farmers from Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota, Missouri, Iowa, Arkansas, Oregon and Kentucky.

"Were plaintiffs eligible for the loan forgiveness benefit, they would have the opportunity to make additional investments in their property, expand their farms, purchase equipment and supplies and otherwise support their families and local communities," the lawsuit said. "Because plaintiffs are ineligible to even apply for the program solely due to their race, they have been denied the equal protection of the law and therefore suffered harm."

The filing seeks a court order prohibiting the USDA from applying racial classifications when determining eligibility for loan modifications and payments under the stimulus plan. It also seeks unspecified damages.

A history of unfair treatment

Minority farmers have maintained for decades that they have been unfairly denied farm loans and other government assistance. Federal agriculture officials in 1999 and 2010 settled lawsuits from Black farmers accusing the agency of discriminating against them.

The history of discrimination against Black farmers in the U.S. goes as far back as 1920, according to Modern Farmer magazine. That year, the U.S. had close to one million Black farmers, compared with 45,000 today. Black farmers also tend to make less money and own less land than White farmers, the publication noted. And securing loans and grants has long been more difficult for Black farmers than their White counterparts, according to government reports.

Nearly all of the $9.2 billion bailout provided to farmers last year by the Trump administration went to White farmers, according to the Environmental Working Group. White farmers received $6.7 billion in Coronavirus Food Assistance Program payments, while Black farmers received $15 million and Latino farmers $100 million, according to calculations by the EWG based on U.S. Department of Agriculture data.

Spotlight on USDA lending practices

Meanwhile, some lawmakers are pushing for more transparency from the USDA as a way to root out discriminatory practices.

Representative Bobby Rush of Illinois and Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey, both Democrats, introduced legislation this week requiring the USDA to track and make public information on the race and gender of all recipients of farm assistance from the agency. The bill, called the Farm Subsidy Transparency Act, would also require disclosure of farm subsidies, farm loans, crop insurance, disaster assistance and funding through the Coronavirus Food Assistance program, as well as assistance provided through conservation and forestry programs.

"It is critically important that we bring any remaining discriminatory lending behavior at USDA to a screeching halt," Rush, who was born on a farm, said in a press release. "In order to do so, we need to shine a bright light on USDA's lending practices so that we can clearly see, understand, and address existing inequities."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

The federal government should never have been involved with racial discrimination in making loans or forgiving them.

And why would the government pay up to 120% of the loan, and not just 100%? This makes it look like not only have they had their loan forgiven, they also profited by not paying anything at all on it.

FortunateSon
Freshman Silent
2  FortunateSon    3 years ago

Any program based on race is by definition rascist.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  FortunateSon @2    3 years ago

Not according to progressive liberals.

FortunateSon
Freshman Silent
2.1.1  FortunateSon  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    3 years ago

They see everything based on race because they are using race to divide everyone 

I just ignore the left every chance I get 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  FortunateSon @2    3 years ago
Any program based on race is by definition rascist.

When Affirmative Action Was White: An Untold History of Racial Inequality in Twentieth-Century America

" African Americans were denied access to economic relief during the New Deal. Although many federal officials understood that black sharecroppers were the hardest hit group during the Great Depression, a full 65 percent of African Americans were denied access to social security benefits, government grants, elderly poor assistance, and unemployment insurance. Administered by local politicians throughout the South, New Deal relief programs were simply not given to the vast majority of African Americans. The result was the deepening of black rural poverty."

It's all well and good to realize that now, but the damage has been done. How do we rectify nearly four centuries of "racist programs" that favored whites without making counter-corrective policies tilting things in the favor of those who were discriminated against and marginalized for so long.

How fair would it be if we played this game for four centuries:

Ten for me, one for you...

Then after literally hundreds of years of that we said:

"Oh, well, now we know that's unfair, okay, so now we'll play fair..."

One for me, one for you...

Is that really what's "fair" now? Is it really wrong to say "One for me, two for you..." even a few times? Are we really such whiny white pieces of shit as to complain about an attempt to make up for the hundreds of years of screwing over minorities? Are we now just understanding the principle of fairness and if we get anything less than anyone else now we speak up or scream "reverse racism!".

Of course some will snidely say "Well I didn't do that to them, it's not MY fault... why should I have to pay anything for the prejudice and discrimination of my ancestors?" all while often enjoying the benefits of generational wealth, education and home ownership that was denied minorities for hundreds of years.

Nice of you all to complain now that it seems to effect you or represent an extra quarter out of your pocket in tax dollars, can't allow the slightest sense of unfairness now can we.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.2    3 years ago

Attempting to assuage their liberal white guilt by discriminating against whites is still racist.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.2.2  Ronin2  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.2    3 years ago
Is that really what's "fair" now? Is it really wrong to say "One for me, two for you..." even a few times?

Yes, it is. The people that are alive and farming today had nothing to do with the discrimination in the past. Discriminating against anyone now based on a past they had no control over is wrong.

Are we really such whiny white pieces of shit as to complain about an attempt to make up for the hundreds of years of screwing over minorities?

Only leftists are such whiny self loathing, hating, pieces of shit that they think they can never make up for it? How long is this make up period going to go on? How much is going to be involved? When will enough ever be fucking enough? The people that are receiving the largess of this make up weren't even alive when many of the past discriminations were occurring; but still feel entitled to reparations. When will that entitlement end?

Are we now just understanding the principle of fairness and if we get anything less than anyone else now we speak up or scream "reverse racism!".

Discrimination is wrong on any level; will the left never understand that? They are simply out for the vote; and think they can get more by turning people against one another based on race, religion, sex, and whatever else they can find.

Of course some will snidely say "Well I didn't do that to them, it's not MY fault... why should I have to pay anything for the prejudice and discrimination of my ancestors?"

Sorry, wasn't alive to kick the shit out of my ancestors. Many of them were real pieces of shit from what I heard. However, I am not responsible in any way for their actions. It is not my responsibility to pay for their sins.

all while often enjoying the benefits of generational wealth,

Assuming all white people have rich ancestors that have handed down inheritances to them- how racist of you. There are far more generational poor white people in this country than any other race. When do they get theirs? 

education

Not according to Democrats and the left. There are tons of uneducated poor white people that constantly vote against their own best self interests every election. Of course with a POS administration like this one using race to determine winners and losers; and locking out poor white farmers, I can see why they vote Republican.

home ownership

Because once again there are no generational poor white people in the US that don't have homes passed down to them; or who come from families that could never afford to own a home.  

Nice of you all to complain now that it seems to effect you or represent an extra quarter out of your pocket in tax dollars, can't allow the slightest sense of unfairness now can we.

Ah, the condescending offended Democrat/leftist. Why don't all of you put your damn money where your mouths are. If you think that that reparations are due start a go fund me account and direct the money to where you want it to go. I am sure every last self loathing white leftist will be sure to contribute. That way there is no abuse of power in government; and everything stays within the guidelines of US law. Because we all know how much the left wants to enforce all US laws and regulations equally and fairly.

FortunateSon
Freshman Silent
2.2.3  FortunateSon  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2.1    3 years ago
Attempting to assuage their liberal white guilt by discriminating against whites is still racist.

Exactly.

FortunateSon
Freshman Silent
3  FortunateSon    3 years ago

Racism? [deleted]