╌>

American Heros of Another Kind - "Man Bites Dog"

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hallux  •  3 years ago  •  8 comments

By:   Travis Hartman

American Heros of Another Kind - "Man Bites Dog"

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

1980 In the 10 minutes allotted, Paul Siderman and Joe Baldini both ate 9 hot dogs and buns. They had a 5-minute “sudden death eat-off” and tied again (3.5 dogs and buns each), so judges awarded the win to both men.

1991, after a decade bouncing around in the teens, the record was set at 21 by Frank “Large” Dellarosa of Queens, New York.

2000, 25 hot dogs and buns were eaten by Kazutoyo Arai from Fukuoka, Japan. Little did he know how short his reign would be as the world champion of hot dog eating.

2001, Takeru Kobayashi from Nagano, Japan, used innovative techniques to literally double the existing world record of 25 to an unforeseen 50 hot dogs and buns. Another competitor that year, Edward “Cookie” Jarvis remarked to a local TV reporter after Kobayashi won, “He was like a conveyor belt, he was just putting them in two at a time.” It is said some competitors laid down their hot dogs before the end of the contest just to watch him. A new era was born, and the hot dog competition was forever changed

2007, It was the year of Joey Chestnut’s first win when he dethroned the six-time champion Kobayashi. Chestnut won in fine fashion by breaking the previous record by over 12 hot dogs and buns. Kobayashi and Chestnut battled for the next few years though Kobayashi never regained the title.

2020, Chestnut, competing against a smaller than normal field of competitors due to COVID-19 restrictions, managed to eat 75 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes, setting the current world record. Chestnut has been a dominant force in the contest, winning 13 titles in 14 years, and holds titles in dozens of other foods such as poutine, cocktail shrimp and tacos. The eating circuit has nourished him in financial ways as well, Chestnut has made almost $700,000 from eating since 2005, according to EatFeats, a competitive eating website. In the days leading up to the 2021 competition, betting site Odds Shark gave him a 98% chance to win again.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Masters Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    3 years ago

Hal ate half a hotdog getting the seed ready, Lux is still burping which might lead to Hal barfing.

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    3 years ago

75? WTH.

His stomach must be the size of a large watermelon.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     3 years ago

My wiener dog is hiding.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

I'm happy to just eat two, and I would have to force myself to get three down.  I can't believe those contest numbers.