╌>

Kamala Harris Slammed For 'Insulting' Claim Rural Communities Can't Photocopy IDs

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  3 years ago  •  14 comments

By:   Khaleda Rahman (MSN)

Kamala Harris Slammed For 'Insulting' Claim Rural Communities Can't Photocopy IDs
People on Twitter criticized Harris after she suggested it would be "almost impossible" for people in rural communities to provide photocopies of their IDs.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Vice President Kamala Harris was criticized on Twitter after suggesting it may be "almost impossible" for people living in rural communities to make photocopies of their IDs.

© Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris delivers remarks at the Louis Stokes Library on the campus of her alma mater Howard University on July 08, 2021 in Washington, DC.

The vice president made the remarks during an interview with Soledad O'Brien for BET News. Harris told O'Brien that she asked President Joe Biden to lead his administration's efforts to protect voting rights because the issue is "so fundamental."

Asked if she would possibly support compromising on voter ID laws, Harris replied: "I don't think that we should underestimate what that could mean.

"Because in some people's mind, that means well, you're going to have to Xerox or photocopy your ID to send it in to prove you are who you are. Well, there are a whole lot of people, especially people who live in rural communities, who don't... there's no Kinkos, there's no OfficeMax near them."

Harris continued: "People have to understand when we're talking about voter ID laws, be clear about who you have in mind and what would be required of them to prove who they are. Of course people have to prove who they are, but not in a way that makes it almost impossible for them to prove who they are."

Some took to Twitter to mock Harris' claim, saying they had no difficulties making photocopies despite living in rural communities.

Hi, I live on top of a mountain on the WV/VA border and I can photocopy my ID. I mean I do it while moonshining White Lightning while dueling banjos play in the background but I can still do it. https://t.co/clxtK5NmRU
— Chris Barron (@ChrisRBarron) July 10, 2021

Insulting and untrue. Bottom line: Kamala, you need to start forgetting all about 2024 before the Democrats do it for you. https://t.co/6VhJ7X5wfy
— Bryan Fischer (@BryanJFischer) July 10, 2021

Chris Barron tweeted: "I live on top of a mountain on the WV/VA border and I can photocopy my ID. I mean I do it while moonshining White Lightning while dueling banjos play in the background but I can still do it."

Bryan Fischer called Harris' claim "insulting and untrue." He added: "Bottom line: Kamala, you need to start forgetting all about 2024 before the Democrats do it for you."

Jake Schneider, who does communications for Rep. Michelle Fischbach, a Minnesota Republican, wrote: "I grew up in a rural community without an OfficeMax or a Kinkos and I managed to successfully make photocopies of things on many occasions."

Other critics included Republican lawmakers. "I live in a rural community and I am perfectly capable of operating a copying machine, Kamala," tweeted Colorado Rep. Lauren Boebert.

I live in a rural community and I am perfectly capable of operating a copying machine, Kamala.
pic.twitter.com/kRvjnCeyzr
— Lauren Boebert (@laurenboebert) July 10, 2021

Cause, you know, country folks don't have electricity, much less access to copiers or smart phones.
They're too busy running moonshine & sliding on the hoods of their cars. https://t.co/arpIX2Yl1l
— Ted Cruz (@tedcruz) July 11, 2021

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz shared a clip of Harris' comments, adding: "Cause, you know, country folks don't have electricity, much less access to copiers or smart phones. They're too busy running moonshine & sliding on the hoods of their cars."

Earlier this week, Harris announced that the Democratic National Committee is investing an additional $25 million in its voting rights initiative.

That came after the U.S. Supreme Court earlier this month upheld voting restrictions in a decision that is likely to help Republican states fight challenges to voting restrictions put in place since the 2020 election.

In the decision, the high court's conservative majority upheld voting limits in Arizona that a lower court found discriminatory under the federal Voting Rights Act.

It prompted fresh calls from Democrats to pass federal legislation to tackle voter suppression.

The ruling "makes it all the more imperative to continue the fight for the For the People Act and the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act to restore and expand voting protections," President Joe Biden said in a statement. "The Court's decision, harmful as it is, does not limit Congress' ability to repair the damage done today: it puts the burden back on Congress to restore the Voting Rights Act to its intended strength."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

Could the Vice President possibly be more ignorant, untruthful, out-of-touch and condescending if she tried?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.1  Snuffy  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

here's hoping she doesn't read your line.  If she does, it could be a "here, hold my beer" moment...   

What amazed me the most was that she had almost no support during her presidential run,  IMO didn't bring much of anything to the ticket. So I just really never understood why she was picked for VP outside of the two boxes she checked.  (woman & person of color).

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Snuffy @1.1    3 years ago
she was picked for VP outside of the two boxes she checked.  (woman & person of color).

That was pretty much the sum of her qualifications.

She, to me, is really nothing more than a Democratic Sarah Palin.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    3 years ago

This story is a real yawner.

Your hero said dumber things than this 5 or 10 times every day. When you live in a toilet paper house dont play with squirt guns. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.2    3 years ago
This story is a real yawner.

You posted over 4 years of yawners. Deal with it.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.2    3 years ago

I live in a rural area and we had a Kinkos now a Fed Ex store for decades.  How many local library branches, drug stores or grocery stores or in the case of many rural areas a regional Walmart didn’t have a copy machine in them for a dime a copy?  She’s just so stupid. 

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.1.5  squiggy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.2    3 years ago
"Your hero said..."
Buh, buh, buh...

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

No….

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.3  squiggy  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

Somebody need a copy of something?

original

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

Only VP I can think of who was worse than Kamala Harris was a guy by the name of Spiro T. Agnew who was VP under Richard Nixon.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.5  Greg Jones  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

As this article says, the Dems are stuck with this idiot

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    3 years ago

You have to convince people that they’re helpless victims so they’ll look to the government to save them.

Hallux
PhD Principal
4  Hallux    3 years ago

People on twitter ... yikes, scary stuff. @!@

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Hallux @4    3 years ago

You should be worried that she is single handedly destroying the dopey, dumb Dem party