╌>

Italy wins the European soccer championship in 3-2 penalty shootout

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  3 years ago  •  7 comments

By:   Yuliya Talmazan

Italy wins the European soccer championship in 3-2 penalty shootout
England and Italy played in the Euro 2020 soccer tournament final Sunday. Italy won in a dramatic penalty shootout after extra time.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

LONDON — Two soccer-mad nations faced each other, and one blinked. Italy bested England in the final of the Euro 2020 soccer tournament Sunday in London.

The winner was determined by a penalty-kick shootout after extra time that kept the score even at 1. Italy won the shootout 3-2 after England's final shot was blocked.

Italian player Jorge Luiz Frello Filho, known as Jorginho, missed the previous shot, blocked by English goalkeeper Jordan Pickford, sending the London crowd into frenzied cheering, but a first-time European championship for the host country wasn't to be. Italy was already up 3-2, and the score remained.

As Covid-19 infection rates continue to rise across the U.K., more than 60,000 fans, most of them English, were allowed to watch the game at Wembley stadium.

f_mo_euro_italyfans_reax_210711.00_00_06_22.Still001.jpg

Italy fans react to winning Euro 2020 soccer championship

The game started quickly as England's Luke Shaw scored just 2 minutes after kickoff — the earliest goal in a European Championship final. But Italy came out of halftime aggressive and tied things up when Leonardo Bonucci bundled the ball into England's net after a goal line scramble.

Players from both teams took a knee before the starting whistle to bring attention to racial injustice, which England players did before every game of the tournament. Minutes earlier, dozens of ticketless fans broke into the stadium, with stewards and police trying to hold back the rowdy crowd as they pushed through barriers.

Prince William, his wife, Kate, and their son Prince George attended the game, the first soccer final played by the England men's team since 1966.

The tournament — originally scheduled for last summer — captivated the U.K. and Italy, which were both hit hard by Covid-19.

St. George's flags, the national flag of England, flutter at No. 10 Downing Street in central London on Saturday on the eve of the European championship soccer final between England and Italy.Justin Tallis / AFP - Getty Images

The U.K.'s four nations, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, have the highest Covid-19 death toll in Europe, followed by Italy, according to Johns Hopkins University. Although more than half of the British population has been fully vaccinated against Covid-19, the highly transmissible delta variant has led to a surge in cases in recent weeks.

Italy has been celebrating a dual sporting success as Matteo Berrettini became the first Italian tennis player — man or woman — to appear in the Wimbledon singles tennis final, which he lost to Novak Djokovic of Serbia.

Across the U.K., millions tuned in for the game on both the BBC and its commercial rival ITV, which attracted more than 26 million viewers for England's semifinal against Denmark on Wednesday. Around the same number of people in the U.K. watched William and Kate get married in 2011.

Thousands of schoolchildren were given permission to go in late on Monday so they could enjoy the game with their parents. There had also been calls for a public holiday if England won.

Goodwill toward the team in England was largely unanimous, a change from the start of the tournament, when some fans booed a decision by England's players to take the knee.

"More than half of the England squad have at least one parent or grandparent born outside the U.K.," according to the Migration Museum in central London.

The squabble over the team's decision was fueled in part by the reaction of Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who did not explicitly condemn the booing. Before the tournament kicked off last month, his spokesman said that when it came to taking a knee, he believed "in taking action rather than just making gestures."

Johnson, who has since been pictured in an England jersey, wished the team good luck. Several other members of his Conservative Party expressed their support, having previously criticized the team for taking the knee.

We're all hoping you can go one better and bring it home tonight @England.
Football's coming home! pic.twitter.com/9As9opK5j9

— Boris Johnson (@BorisJohnson) July 11, 2021

England's captain, Harry Kane, was also praised for wearing a rainbow arm band in solidarity with the German team, which stood up for LGBTQ rights when it played Hungary earlier in the tournament. Hungary had faced international criticism for a law that bans the promotion of homosexuality or transgender issues in schools, seemingly conflating them with pedophilia.

When England's men's team last won a major international soccer tournament, the World Cup, more than half a century ago in 1966, it beat what was then West Germany at Wembley Stadium.

Queen Elizabeth II, who presented the trophy that year, recalled that moment Saturday in a message to England's manager, Gareth Southgate.

In a message to the team, she said she hoped "that history will record not only your success but also the spirit, commitment and pride with which you have conducted yourselves."

yuliya-talmazan-circle-byline-template.jpg Yuliya Talmazan

Yuliya Talmazan is a London-based journalist.

The Associated Press contributed.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    3 years ago

Now I have to admit that I felt a bit conflicted about this match, having family in England and myself growing up there, but my daughter's fiance' being Italian, I didn't know who to root for.

Anyway, it was an exciting game!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    3 years ago

And probably loud as hell as your guest is Italian and proud of it !

Di, Di, Di !!!! They Scooooooooooooooooooooooooooooreddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Split Personality @1.1    3 years ago

LOL so true! The first time I heard "Di, Di, Di !!!!", I asked Davide was he wishing the other team dead, and he laughed. 

shona1
PhD Quiet
2  shona1    3 years ago

Anoon..I have Rellies in England to but was barracking for the Italians..my sister in laws twin sister lives in Italy so I had a valid excuse..

It is the old love hate relationship we have with the Poms..

From cricket to tennis and anything else we come up against them in....

Speaking of which well done to our Koori Aussie winning Wimbledon... Ash Barty..a wonderful player and not a temper tantrum in sight or chucking racquets around...a quiet achiever and humble in the process..

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

I recall when Italy won the World Cup in 1982.  There is a "Little Italy" in Toronto with a fair sized population.  When they won the cup pandemonium broke loose in Toronto, cars raced around the city honking horns and flying the flag of Italy, the city closed the streets of "Little Italy" and a huge street festival lasted all night long.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Three black players for England who failed to make their penalty kicks in the overtime were barraged by racist hate comments in post game social media posts to the extent that Prince William felt compelled to speak out and condemn the racism. 

AAM3wxw.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=433&y=306 © TheWrap   Prince William

"I am sickened by the racist abuse aimed at England players after last night's match," said a   post   signed by the Duke of Cambridge shared with his wife, Kate Middleton. "It is totally unacceptable that players have to endure this abhorrent behaviour. It must stop now and all those involved should be held accountable."

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @4    3 years ago

One has to wonder where he was when his sister-in-law was being attacked. 

Oh well, stiff upper lip and all that BS.