╌>

Texas' Abbott says Dems who 'fled' state over elections bill will be arrested upon return

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  3 years ago  •  227 comments

By:   Edmund DeMarche (Fox News)

Texas' Abbott says Dems who 'fled' state over elections bill will be arrested upon return
Gov. Greg Abbott, the Texas Republican, criticized state Democrats who fled to Washington, D.C., on Monday in an effort to deprive the Legislature of a quorum, thus the ability to vote on the GOP's sweeping elections overhaul bill.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Gov. Greg Abbott, the Texas Republican, criticized state Democrats who fled to Washington, D.C., on Monday in an effort to deprive the Legislature of a quorum, thus the ability to vote on the GOP's sweeping elections overhaul bill.

Abbott appeared on "The Ingraham Angle" on Monday to defend the bill and say the missing lawmakers will be arrested upon their return to the state. He said members of the Texas House of Representatives who are still in the state can call for the arrests of their colleagues who do not show up to vote. The one caveat is the arrest has to be made in the state.

"Once they step back into the state they will be arrested and brought back to the Capitol and we will be conducting business," he said.

Republicans argue the contentious bill would provide greater election security, while Democrats charge it would suppress voter turnout of minorities.

The exodus was the second time that Democratic lawmakers have staged a walkout on the voting overhaul, a measure of their fierce opposition to proposals they say will make it harder for young people, people of color and people with disabilities to vote.

But like last month's effort, there remains no clear path for Democrats to permanently block the voting measures, or a list of other contentious GOP-backed proposals up for debate.

"We have special sessions that last 30 days," Abbott said. "And the governor calls them, and I will continue calling special session after special session because over time it is going to continue until they step up to vote."

As they arrived in Washington Monday evening, the lawmakers said they would not be swayed.

"We are determined to kill this bill," said state Rep. Chris Turner, who said he and his colleagues were prepared to run out the clock on a special session that ends early next month.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

You mean that there is actually justice somewhere in America!

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

So...  It's illegal to go to DC?  Add another charge for the insurrectionists.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

Just curious.  What is the law that the lawmakers have contravened that calls for their arrest?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1  Snuffy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    3 years ago

It's called a call of the House, a procedural move that would allow law enforcement to track down lawmakers who have already fled the chamber.  

Two-thirds of the 150-member House must be present for the chamber to conduct business. And according to House rules, which were adopted unanimously by members at the beginning of the regular legislative session in January, any member can move to make a call of the House “to secure and maintain a quorum” for legislation. That motion must be seconded by 15 members, one of which can be the speaker, and ordered by a majority vote. The move also allows the speaker to lock the chamber doors to prevent members from leaving the chamber.

This is an example of the minority party using it's filibuster. In this case, the rules in Texas which were agreed to at the beginning of the legislative session cover how this can be handled and how it ends. Gov Abbott can continue to call special sessions (they only last 28 days) until this is resolved.

On a side note, if someone supports and applauds the Democrats for this tactic in Texas then they must also support keeping the filibuster as it is in the US Senate. The purpose is the same, to provide balance and leverage to the minority party so the majority party cannot run roughshod.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Snuffy @2.1    3 years ago

Okay, track them down, but what about ARRESTING them?  In a way what the Democrats in the House are doing is "suppressing the vote" in the House as a defence against a proposed law suppressing the vote of the people.  Quite ironic. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.1    3 years ago
In a way what the Democrats in the House are doing is "suppressing the vote" in the House as a defence against a proposed law suppressing the vote of the people. 

That's a false statement.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.2    3 years ago

You're calling me a liar?  If I was WRONG so be it and you can certainly tell me I'm wrong, but if you are going to say I made a false statement, then you are calling me a liar.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.3    3 years ago
You're calling me a liar?

Oh Buzz, you know better than that. I'm calling your comment a lie. The same dirty lie that Joe Biden got 3 Pinocchios for! 

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.5  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.1    3 years ago

There is NO 'law' Buzz. It is a House RULE and any arrest would be by the Sergeant at Arms of the House [or his designee], NOT the Governor. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.6  Greg Jones  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.3    3 years ago

You're saying something that is incorrect, call it what you will. Lies have been known to occur on these forums.

The proposed changes to the law DO NOT suppress voting access or opportunity to ANYONE, including minorities.

You're just parroting what the usual leftist liars have said.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.7  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @2.1.5    3 years ago

The Governor never said he was going to do the honors.

More spin Dulay?

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.8  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.7    3 years ago
The Governor never said he was going to do the honors.

He sure as fuck implied that he had the authority to do so since he made NO mention of the House. 

Note that the Texas House had yet to vote on a 'Call of the House' when he made that statement. 

More spin Dulay?

More projection Vic? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.1.8    3 years ago
He sure as fuck implied that he had the authority to do so since he made NO mention of the House. 

Really want to stick with that?

Abbott appeared on "The Ingraham Angle" on Monday to defend the bill and say the missing lawmakers will be arrested upon their return to the state. He said members of the Texas House of Representatives who are still in the state can call for the arrests of their colleagues who do not show up to vote. The one caveat is the arrest has to be made in the state. "Once they step back into the state they will be arrested and brought back to the Capitol and we will be conducting business," he said.

yeah, no mention of the Texas House at all, right?

Who are we supposed to believe--you or our eyes lying to us when we see that?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.1.8    3 years ago

It isn't anyone's fault that you ASSUMED something that wasn't true.

Oh, BTFW, Texas' House has voted to have the Democrats who fled like pussies to be arrested if necessary to get them to do what they were elected to do.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.1.8    3 years ago
More projection Vic? 

Do you mean "projection" as in claiming that the Governor never mentioned the House when he clearly did---and anyone who actually read the article before posting would have known it?

Is THAT the kind of projection you are talking about--posting falsehoods as the truth?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.12  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @2.1.8    3 years ago

We don't all use explicit baby talk.

Note that the Texas House had yet to vote on a 'Call of the House' when he made that statement. 

They blew it. It isn't like it was the first time democrats pulled this stunt. As in the 2020 election they got left at the gate.

More projection Vic? 

Just the plain old truth. It really produces a nasty reaction at times, but I give it in full doses.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.1.5    3 years ago
It is a House RULE and any arrest would be by the Sergeant at Arms of the House [

Which the very same Democrats who have fled agreed to.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.14  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.12    3 years ago

Plain old truth?

I haven't seen that in any amount.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.15  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.9    3 years ago

Please spare me from watching Ingraham. 

QUOTE what Abbott said, NOT what the article said he said please. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.16  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.12    3 years ago
We don't all use explicit baby talk.

WTF are you talking about Vic? 

They blew it. It isn't like it was the first time democrats pulled this stunt.

HOW does that address the fact that he made his threat before the Call of the House Vic? Hint: It doesn't. 

Oh and BTFW, 'this stunt' has been used by both parties forever. In 1840, Lincoln famously jumped out of a second story window in order to deny a quorum in the Illinois House. 

As in the 2020 election they got left at the gate.

Again, WTF are you talking about? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.17  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.14    3 years ago

I've pointed everyone to the proper post.

I'm sorry to hear it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.1.15    3 years ago

Sure thing!!!!!

Here ya go:

'Ingraham Angle' on Cuba protests, voter integrity | Fox News

ABBOTT: Well, there's no law on that issue. What the law is, it's in the Constitution, and that is the house, the State House of Representatives who were here in the Capitol, in Austin right now, they do have the ability to issue a call to have their fellow members who are not showing up to be arrested, but only so long as that arrest is made in the state of Texas. That's why they have fled the state. Once they step back into the state of Texas, they will be arrested and brought to the Texas Capitol and we will be conducting business.

Now, how are you going to spin your false claim that Abbott didn't mention the House?

Oh, and BTFW, please do spare me the usual attack on sources that some don't like.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.19  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.10    3 years ago
It isn't anyone's fault that you ASSUMED something that wasn't true.

I assumed nothing. 

Oh, BTFW, Texas' House has voted to have the Democrats who fled like pussies to be arrested if necessary to get them to do what they were elected to do.

Since they did so a day AFTER Abbott made his threat, your comment is moot. 

Oh and the Democrats are doing exactly what they were elected to do, represent their constituents. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.20  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.11    3 years ago
Is THAT the kind of projection you are talking about--posting falsehoods as the truth?

You should go look up projection Tex. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.21  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @2.1.16    3 years ago
WTF are you talking about Vic? 

People simply don't talk that way.

HOW does that address the fact that he made his threat before the Call of the House Vic? Hint: It doesn't. 

ACTUALLY he made it after. They should have already been arrested. That's the problem with Texas morals : A man has to be a gentleman or he's nothing at all!  It doesn't seem to work with democrats.

Oh and BTFW, 'this stunt' has been used by both parties forever. In 1840, Lincoln famously jumped out of a second story window in order to deny a quorum in the Illinois House. 

We never got over that one, did we?

Again, WTF are you talking about? 

Oh, you know, when those Republican Legislatures let judges take away their right to make election law.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.22  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.1.19    3 years ago
I assumed nothing. 

Sure you did. You assumed that Abbott said nothing about the Texas House and have been proven wrong about that.

You even made a specific comment claiming that he didn't.

Do I need to quote you directly or are you starting to remember making that false claim now?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.23  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.1.20    3 years ago

You should go look up projection Tex. 

You should look up the truth, as Abbott did do what you claimed he didn't, and it has been proven to you.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.24  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.13    3 years ago
Which the very same Democrats who have fled agreed to.

And? My answer to Buzz is factual. Stop trolling me Tex. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.25  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @2.1.20    3 years ago

I bet I know who's picture is there.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.26  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.1.24    3 years ago

The Texas legislature has now voted to have the derelict lawmakers arrested and returned to the Capitol.

Abbott clearly said that it was up to the House.

You said he never mentioned the House.

he did.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.27  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.22    3 years ago
Do I need to quote you directly or are you starting to remember making that false claim now?

Do you have that QUOTE yet Tex? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.28  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.1.27    3 years ago

Of course I do!!

Here: 2.1.8

Starting to ring any bells now? Beginning to remember making this false claim yet?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.29  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.1.27    3 years ago

Have you recognized your own words yet, Dulay?

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.31  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.28    3 years ago

Still waiting for the quote from Abbott Tex...

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.32  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.29    3 years ago

Have you found the quote from Abbott yet? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.33  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.1.31    3 years ago
Still waiting for the quote from Abbott Tex...

Why?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.34  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.4    3 years ago

Curtailing Sunday voting to those for whom it is the only time during the week that they are able to vote is called "voter suppression" in MY book, but not your Republican one, because it's not the Republicans who would be effected by that limitation.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.35  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.1.32    3 years ago
Have you found the quote from Abbott yet? 

Yes, I found it FOUR hours ago and posted it.

Please DO try at least try to keep up.

And since I know you will doubt me, here is the post number for you to go BACK and read.

Post 2.1.18

ABBOTT: Well, there's no law on that issue. What the law is, it's in the Constitution, and that is the house, the State House of Representatives who were here in the Capitol, in Austin right now, they do have the ability to issue a call to have their fellow members who are not showing up to be arrested, but only so long as that arrest is made in the state of Texas. That's why they have fled the state. Once they step back into the state of Texas, they will be arrested and brought to the Texas Capitol and we will be conducting business.

Now, what is the NEXT thing I can repeat for you?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.36  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.1.32    3 years ago

Have you recognized your false claim that Abbott did NOT mention the Texas House yet?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.37  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.34    3 years ago
Curtailing Sunday voting to those for whom it is the only time during the week that they are able to vote is called "voter suppression" in MY book, but not your Republican one, because it's not the Republicans who would be effected by that limitation.

Actually, and more importantly, factually, the latest proposed bill allows Sunday voting to begin at 9 am., so no restrictions on Sunday voting.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.38  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.1.27    3 years ago

Had it just as soon as you posted it!!!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.39  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.37    3 years ago

Oh, okay, thanks for the heads up.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.1.40  SteevieGee  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.2    3 years ago

Sounds true to me.  What, exactly, isn't true about it?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.41  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.1.32    3 years ago

yes, and I have supplied it to you twice, AND it is from the article.

What you going to do with it now that you have it?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.42  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.17    3 years ago

No proof/truth found.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.43  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.34    3 years ago

Five states  (Alaska, Illinois, Maryland, New York and Ohio)  allow for Sunday voting. Five states (California, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada and Massachusetts) leave it up to county clerks who may choose to be open on Sundays.

So your reasoning is that 

1)  Black people can only get to the polls on a Sunday?

2) All the blue states that don't allow Sunday voting are "Jim Crow racist" states?

Very strange logic, Buzz.

I believe Joe Biden called it "Jim Eagle laws!"  I assume some guy in Scranton named Jim Eagle is asking himself "how am I to blame?"

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.44  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.9    3 years ago

The key here is that the consequences of arrest is being brought back to their house chamber to do their jobs until the session is over, not going to jail or prison.  The governor is going to recall special sessions indefinitely for the next full year so those on the lam will be without pay and have to be separated from their lives and families as long as it takes.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.45  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.43    3 years ago

See, to Democrats, Texas law allowing and mandating Sunday voting is suppressive, while states that have NO Sunday voting at all is just an inconvenient fact to gloss over because Texas law represents a Constitutional crisis to them.

Such clownish thinking!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.46  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.45    3 years ago
a Constitutional crisis to them.

One that Biden compared to the Civil War!

He said that's not hyperbole either!

Somebody needs to read the definition of hyperbole to Joe.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.47  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.43    3 years ago

Know what, Vic (and thumb-upper Tex) what it comes down to is I really don't give a damn.  You can have and enjoy your patchwork voting system with its hanging chads and ballot collection boxes, and voting machines, and computerization and drive-by voting and court-awarded wins and different kinds of marking pens and different kinds of ballots and whatever.  To me, the only thing that makes sense is a NATION WIDE SINGLE SYSTEM for a federal vote, a SINGLE process, for every person no matter where they live, so there isn't room for the kind of debacles that have been taking place in the USA.  In Canada, Provinces have independent rights as well, but when it comes to a federal election - there are NO variations, everything is the same, every polling place follows the same rules, and there are NO PROBLEMS

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.48  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.47    3 years ago

Yeah, our system works pretty well, and we are pretty happy with it.

Doesn't really matter to me if people who don't live here like it or not.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.49  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.48    3 years ago

Yeah, your system works pretty well, last November's election went as smooth as silk. You're ALL happy with it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.50  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.49    3 years ago

The system worked, unless you think Biden didn't win???

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.51  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.50    3 years ago

LOL.  Yeah, seems to be a lot of people there who still think he didn't.  In any event the whole scenario was a great show of how wonderfully American democracy works for the rest of the world to see.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.52  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.51    3 years ago

Perhaps you have some examples where democracy works better?

Where there are no problems?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.53  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.52    3 years ago

Well, Canada for starters - maybe you can reread what I wrote in comment 2.1.47.  How about New Zealand?  It's so typical of conservatives to start to play down the fiasco of the November election and its aftermath in order to save their ass at the midterms. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.54  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.53    3 years ago

Fiasco of an election??

What "news" are you getting where you are at?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.55  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.54    3 years ago

Canada Television News (CTV), The MSN collection of US news articles from many mainstream soiurces. and the MSN collection of foreign news from many mainstream sources, US News and World Report, and many others, giving me the opportunity to see the "other side of the story" - I even read Fox News when I need something to make me laugh.  How about you?  Do you read China Daily or watch China Global Television network to get the "other side of the story" or is your mind closed to the possibility that there could actually BE another side of the story?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.56  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.55    3 years ago

Forgot to say that I go through the MS Bing news roundup every morning when I turn on my computer.  So how would YOU, Tex, describe the "Stop the Steal" movement and the multiple no-evidence court cases, and the repercussions such as the January 6th "tourist visit" of the Capitol Building, etc,...?  Just another run-of-the-mill everyday type American election?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1.58  cjcold  replied to  Snuffy @2.1    3 years ago

[Removed, that comment was totally unacceptable

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.59  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.57    3 years ago

Ha ha ha!!!  I remember Ed Broadbent.  He could make Bernie Sanders appear as Generalissimo Franco.  But I did notice that you would rather change the subject than answer my questions.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.60  Snuffy  replied to  cjcold @2.1.58    3 years ago

Removed for context by Charger

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    3 years ago

It is in the third sentence:

He said members of the Texas House of Representatives who are still in the state can call for the arrests of their colleagues who do not show up to vote. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2    3 years ago

It does behoove one to read the article before posting nonsense, doesn't it?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.1    3 years ago

Indeed it does. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3  Hal A. Lujah    3 years ago

Hats off to Texas for the real time exhibition of fascism.  Kids learn best with real world examples.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3    3 years ago

The leftist ruling class knows about fascism. They held people in Jail for 6 months, mostly on trespassing charges. No trial in sight.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1    3 years ago

This from a guy who claimed that they were not chanting HANG MIKE PENCE!!!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3.1.1    3 years ago

What guy?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3.1.3  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.2    3 years ago

You, bud.  The day it happened, right here on NT, you were denying what they were chanting.  It’s like your brain wouldn’t let you hear what everyone else was so clearly hearing.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3.1.3    3 years ago

Well bud, PROVE YOUR CLAIM or should I say PERSONAL ATTACK.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.5  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1    3 years ago
The leftist ruling class knows about fascism. They held people in Jail for 6 months, mostly on trespassing charges. No trial in sight.

That is a lie. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.6  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @3.1.5    3 years ago
That is a lie. 

Prove it's a lie

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.7  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.4    3 years ago

24:52 - 29.05

Now, will you continue to close your mind to the FACTS Vic? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.8  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @3.1.7    3 years ago

What is that supposed to mean?  

Here are the facts:

People at the Capitol, not necessarily in the Capitol, on January 6th are in restrictive housing, aka solitary.

Elizabeth Warren (MA) and Dick Durbin (IL) spoke up against the harsh treatment of people taken into custody for the Jan. 6 Capitol “riot.”

MASS SOLITARY

According to the Tennessee Star, the jail where some rioters /trespassers are kept, houses 1,500 inmates. They are confined to their jail  cells  22 hours per day, an increase of one hour over what it was last month. They are prohibited from going outside.

Some of them are let out for recreation at 2 am due to COV.

Washington Post report  described the jail’s COVID-19 order as “mass solitary confinement.”

SOME ONLY TRESPASSED, OTHERS ARE HELD AND HAVEN’T BEEN CHARGED

As to those being held for being present at the Capitol on Jan. 6, many are being held in pretrial detention on charges ranging from knowingly entering or remaining in restricted grounds (trespassing) without authority to conspiracy, assault, and obstruction of an official proceeding.

Some haven’t been charged with anything

Rep. James Comer (R-KY) expressed concerns about the conditions in the jail.

“D.C.’s house is not in order, and the solution is not to grant it even more authority through statehood,” Comer  said  on April 19.

That comment came in response to a  Washington Post report  which described the jail’s COVID-19 order as “mass solitary confinement.”

In arguing against D.C. statehood in an April 22 speech, Rep. Clay Higgins (R-LA) also cited the same Post report. In that speech, Higgins alleged that the city had been “essentially torturing inmates” for over a year, and noted: “That is ultimately a violation of the 8th Amendment…is that what we can expect from a D.C. state?”

Meanwhile, communists and anarchists who burn down buildings and ICE buildings, beat police officers, get a night in jail and have charges dismissed.

FEW ARE ADVOCATING FOR THEM

Mayor Muriel Bowser and House Oversight Chair Carolyn Maloney won’t meet to discuss it.

A lawyer for Jan. 6 defendants told  Politico  that lawmakers should contact him if they were concerned about the inmates’ treatment. Marty Tankleff, himself exonerated after decades in prison for a wrongful murder conviction, told Just the News no one has contacted him nearly three weeks later.

His clients include Ryan Samsel, who alleges a prison guard beat him so badly he suffered permanent eye damage, and Edward Jacob Lang, an observant Jew who claims guards disparaged him as a “false prophet” as he prayed for other inmates.

Think about it, Dulay, even ideologues like Liz Warren and Dick Durbin think it's wrong!

Let's turn off the spin cycle.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.9  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.4    3 years ago

Vic wants everyone to pick back through his hundreds of comments.  Vic, Just say again that you dont think they were chanting hang mike pence or admit they were. Your choice, for the present. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.10  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.9    3 years ago
Vic wants

Vic just wants people to address topic rather than resorting to personal attacks.

That would make these threads more interesting for our readers. Maybe some would even contribute. Think of that John.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.11  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.6    3 years ago

First of all, there is NO 'leftist ruling class'. Just stop.

Have you forgotten how this shit works AGAIN Vic? YOU made the assertion, YOU have the burden of proof. 

Here, I'll even give you a link to the DOJ list so you can prove to yourself just how many of your heroes have been released on bail, or on their own personal recognizance and when their next court date is scheduled. 

Oh and BTFW Vic, note that NOT ONE of your heroes has been charged with 'trespassing' AND that the ONLY ones that have been 'committed' [jailed] for '6 months' were charged with carrying unregistered firearms, though YOU falsely claimed that NO ONE had a gun...

FACTS matter Vic, you should try posting some. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.12  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @3.1.11    3 years ago
YOU made the assertion,

It was YOU who made the assertion that what I said was a lie. You have yet to disprove the proof of my statement which was posted for all to see in post # 3.1.8.

Here, I'll even give you a link to the DOJ list 

That's nice of you but, my statement still stands untouched - post 3.1.8.

NOT ONE of your heroes has been charged with 'trespassing' 

FALSE - post 3.1.8

FACTS matter Vic, you should try posting some. 

FACTS do matter. Tell Biden and Garland.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.13  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.8    3 years ago
What is that supposed to mean?  

Here are the facts:

Why are you replying to the video I posted that PROVES that the insurrectionists were chanting 'Hand Mike Pence' with links about the DOC? 

I seriously doubt that you give a shit about the vast majority of the 1,500 inmates being held in that facility Vic. 

Oh and if you think that those heroes of yours that remain committed should be treated differently than any other pre-trial detainee, you are wrong Vic.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.14  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.10    3 years ago

No one will need to pick back through your hundreds of posts if you just say RIGHT NOW whether or not you think people in the Jan 6th crowd chanted "hang Mike Pence". 

Simplicity itself. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.15  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.12    3 years ago
It was YOU who made the assertion that what I said was a lie.

GOOD Vic. YOU recognize that YOU made the initial assertion. Now PROVE it. 

That's nice of you but, my statement still stands untouched - post 3.1.8.

Why continue to post false comments Vic. READ the fucking link. It NAMES those arrested and their standing. 

FALSE - post 3.1.8

I know you adverse to actually READING statutes Vic but the charges against your heroes for ' Entering and Remaining in a Restricted Building' is NOT 'trespassing'. It is predicated by:

(1) the term “ restricted buildings or grounds ” means any posted, cordoned off, or otherwise restricted area—
(A) of the White House or its grounds, or the  Vice President ’s official residence or its grounds;
(B) of a building or grounds where the President or  other person protected by the Secret Service  is or will be temporarily visiting; or
(C) of a building or grounds so restricted in conjunction with an event designated as a special event of national significance; and

So even YOU should be able to understand that the FACT that the VP Pence was @ the Capitol [among other protectees] AND that the Congress was conducting 'an event designated as a special event of national significance' and that the Federal government has a vested interest in codifying a statute to penalize anyone who threatens the VP or the Congress when doing so. 

[ deleted ]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.16  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.14    3 years ago
No one will need to pick back through your hundreds of posts if you just say RIGHT NOW whether or not you think people in the Jan 6th crowd chanted "hang Mike Pence". 

1) Anyone making a claim about my past comments should provide the comment.

2) I really can't say whether anyone chanted that or not. That particular day, I listened to the Trump speech and I was out the door & on the road. It was only when I returned home that I saw film of people entering the capitol building. I never got to hear chants made by various sectors of the crowd. I'm not denying that it happened. I simply never heard it. Maybe that's the source of the confusion about something I may have said in January?

Simplicity itself. 

We can only hope.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.16    3 years ago

W-h-a-t??????

You mean you get tired of people claiming you said something, and then them trying to argue what they claimed, and then being consistently unable to produce anything of you saying what they claimed you said?

Just a lazy, dishonest way to debate, and apparently a favored way to argue amongst our progressive liberal friends.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.18  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.17    3 years ago

I keep hoping to discuss topic.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.19  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.18    3 years ago

yeah, good luck with this bunch!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.20  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @3.1.5    3 years ago

[deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.21  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @3.1.15    3 years ago
GOOD Vic.

I wish I could say as much for you.

Unfortunately most of those being held are being held for trespassing and I am forced to agree with Warren and Durbin - It is wrong.

Our Readers know what political prisoners are.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.22  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.21    3 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.23  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @3.1.22    3 years ago

But instead, we live in  nation of laws.

Must be a real bummer to those espousing violence instead of reason.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.24  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  devangelical @3.1.22    3 years ago

Keep wishing.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.26  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.21    3 years ago
Unfortunately most of those being held are being held for trespassing and I am forced to agree with Warren and Durbin - It is wrong.

That comment is another lie Vic. Warren and Durbin did NOT argue against holding the 1/6 insurrectionists. 

NONE of the insurrectionists are being held for trespassing. Why continue to post that LIE? 

Our Readers know what political prisoners are.

Those amongst 'Our Readers' who have a cogent grasp on reality know that not one of the insurrectionists is a 'political prisoner'. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.27  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @3.1.26    3 years ago
That comment is another lie Vic. Warren and Durbin did NOT argue against holding the 1/6 insurrectionists. 

What do you do, just make stuff up as you go along? They were against the harsh treatment of those people and it is NOT a lie. Read it again Dulay!

NONE of the insurrectionists are being held for trespassing.

Most are, despite the Garland descriptions.

Those amongst 'Our Readers' who have a cogent grasp on reality know that not one of the insurrectionists is a 'political prisoner'

I beg to differ. They are much more intelligent than you give them credit for.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.28  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.27    3 years ago
What do you do, just make stuff up as you go along? They were against the harsh treatment of those people and it is NOT a lie. Read it again Dulay!

Those people as a WHOLE Vic, NOT the 1/6 insurrectionists for being held for trespassing as YOU claimed. 

Most are, despite the Garland descriptions.

Obtuse. NONE are being charged with trespassing no matter how many times your rinse and repeat it Vic. 

Merrick Garland was a Freshman in College when the statute used to charge your heroes was passed Vic. It's not his description, it's the LAW. 

I beg to differ.

Then do so cogently, your comment misses that mark. 

They are much more intelligent than you give them credit for.

False. My comment gives them all the credit they deserve.

It's those whose posts prove that they have lost their grip on reality that I have an issue with. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.29  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.23    3 years ago

during the past history of the USA we've liquidated millions of our enemies without due process while defending our way of life and the Constitution. adding 500+ domestic terrorists to that number wouldn't seem very significant. it's really very simple, those that didn't breach the capitol building were protesters, those that did breach it, were traitors.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.30  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @3.1.29    3 years ago

Yeah, progressive liberals have no need for courts and juries and trials, I see.

Makes absolute sense to them, I hope.

Not to me!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.31  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @3.1.29    3 years ago

"during the past history of the USA we've liquidated millions of our enemies without due process while defending our way of life and the Constitution. adding 500+ domestic terrorists to that number wouldn't seem very significant. it's really very simple, those that didn't breach the capitol building were protesters, those that did breach it, were traitors."

YA!  EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.32  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @3.1.29    3 years ago
it's really very simple, those that didn't breach the capitol building were protesters, those that did breach it, were traitors.

Might also want to read up on the definitions of traitors and treason before writing anything else.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.33  XXJefferson51  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1    3 years ago

Exactly!  Our current majority federal government is fascist to its core.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.34  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.33    3 years ago

PROJECTION

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.35  XXJefferson51  replied to  Dulay @3.1.5    3 years ago

No, it’s not.  He’s exactly right. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.36  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.35    3 years ago

NO.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.37  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.19    3 years ago

We are conservatives and have no reasonable expectations to keep our ideological opposition on topic on our seeds…

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.38  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.34    3 years ago

It’s the truth.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.39  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.36    3 years ago

YES!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3.1.40  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.4    3 years ago

Well bud, PROVE YOUR CLAIM or should I say PERSONAL ATTACK.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3    3 years ago
Hats off to Texas for the real time exhibition of fascism.  Kids learn best with real world examples.

Hyperbole--check

Exaggeration---check

False---check, check, check!

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2.1  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2    3 years ago

I'm curious. are there any pictures of governor abbott next to trump? I'm concerned about his ability to show the proper tea party fealty to his autocrat hero. I hope he does have all those legislators arrested. with the current judicial backlog, they should be having their trials during the 2022 campaign season, assuming that the court doesn't dismiss all of them first.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  devangelical @3.2.1    3 years ago
with the current judicial backlog, they should be having their trials during the 2022 campaign season

Maybe we can let them sit in prison pending trial?

We know it's ok to do it now!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @3.2.1    3 years ago
I hope he does have all those legislators arrested. with the current judicial backlog, they should be having their trials during the 2022 campaign season, assuming that the court doesn't dismiss all of them first.

Obviously you have missed much of the news concerning this matter.

The Governor did not say he would arrest them as he has no power to do so. The State Legislature CAN, and has voted to have them arrested.

Your little quips about Trump just shows the depths of the illness that is TDS and is so pervasive amongst progressive liberals.

Also, as most already know, there is no punishment other than being returned to the Capitol to do what they were elected to do. No trials either!

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2.4  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.2    3 years ago

oh? what constitutional mandate of a joint session of congress did they impede? just because governor tea party shopping cart didn't get the smoke screen he wanted in the last texas legislative session to cover his incompetence in office, the texas tax payers should be punished with the cost of frivolous law suits? all his big donation pals complicit in the energy grid failures will be busy covering their own asses in court for awhile.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2.5  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.3    3 years ago

I think I've made it perfectly clear what the true definition of TDS is, which is far more accurate than the alternative definition of TDS from the right wing, since it's demonstrated here every day.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @3.2.5    3 years ago
I think I've made it perfectly clear what the true definition of TDS is, which is far more accurate than the alternative definition of TDS from the right wing, since it's demonstrated here every day.

Yeah, and well, you thought you had made a point about Abbott having the derelict Democrats arrested and jailed and put on trial, too, in case you forgot that.

All debunked rather easily.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @3.2.5    3 years ago
I think I've made it perfectly clear what the true definition of TDS is,

No, just what you think it is.

Perhaps this, too, will help you:

TDS - Dictionary.com

WHAT DOES TDS MEAN?

TDS is an acronym for Trump Derangement Syndrome , a term applied to people who express deep loathing and fear of President Donald Trump. It's usually used by Trump supporters for liberals.

You need to come up with something that doesn't take more than 2 minutes to thoroughly debunk.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2.8  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.7    3 years ago

I don't think I've ever spent that long replying to any of your comments.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.9  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @3.2.8    3 years ago
I don't think I've ever spent that long replying to any of your comments.

Yeah, I get that it doesn't take long to repeat what you have heard elsewhere.

Care to address anything IN my comment that debunks your claims?

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2.10  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.9    3 years ago

I will, when you actually do...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.11  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @3.2.10    3 years ago
I will, when you actually do...

I did. Did you miss posts 3.2.3 and 3.2.7?

I took your points and debunked them one by one.

Now it is your turn to support your claim that Abbott was going to have them arrested, and then you can explain how there will be some trial for the cowardly Democrats.

Go for it!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.12  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @3.2.5    3 years ago

"I think I've made it perfectly clear what the true definition of TDS is, which is far more accurate than the alternative definition of TDS from the right wing, since it's demonstrated here every day."

Ya!  Every day all damned day!

Hallux
PhD Principal
4  Hallux    3 years ago

Everyone has used this tactic:

Oregon Senate Republicans walk out for 3rd straight year, citing governor’s COVID-19 restrictions

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @4    3 years ago

By leaving Texas, House Democrats avoided being arrested by a “Call of the House,” which Speaker of the House Dade Phelan could have initiated had the members left Tuesday, when the chamber is scheduled to be back in session. Because the legislature was out of session on Monday, Democrats had time to leave after having met over the weekend.

U.S. Republican Rep. Dan Crenshaw replied, tweeting, “Texas Democrats: ‘let’s keep lying about ‘voter suppression’ even though it has been debunked countless times, AND then we can skip work and take a charter jet to hang out with Pelosi in DC for a few days!’ Nice try. But no one believes your charade.”

Hallux
PhD Principal
4.1.1  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1    3 years ago

Yes, yes Vic, doing the same thing = bad Democrats, but good Republicans. /S

Ender
Professor Principal
4.2  Ender  replied to  Hallux @4    3 years ago

But but but, it's ok when they do it, it was for a cause....

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.3  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @4    3 years ago

Oh, is this article about Oregon now?

I didn't see Oregon mentioned in the article.

And I certainly don't find a single post where anyone has said it was ok in Oregon.

Please, show me where this is the topic here.

Hallux
PhD Principal
4.3.1  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @4.3    3 years ago

It's also about legislators leaving. Sorry you find that to be too broad of a subject.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.3.2  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @4.3.1    3 years ago
It's also about legislators leaving. Sorry you find that to be too broad of a subject.

Not nearly as sorry as I am that you find it difficult to stay on topic.

No worries!

Ender
Professor Principal
4.3.3  Ender  replied to  Hallux @4.3.1    3 years ago

The topic must be narrowed to include only people they want to denigrate...doncha know.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.3.4  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @4.3.3    3 years ago

The what about isms have been duly noted.

Hallux
PhD Principal
4.3.5  Hallux  replied to  Ender @4.3.3    3 years ago

... only too well.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.3.6  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @4.3    3 years ago
Please, show me where this is the topic here.

Please show ME were YOU are cited as the seeder of this article Tex. 

It would behoove you to note that rather than flag it as 'off topic' Vic, who IS the seeder,  REPLIED to Hallux's comment. 

So your comment is moot and merely a failed attempt to troll. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.3.7  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @4.3.6    3 years ago

I wasn't talking to you--for a reason.

And once again, I feel sorrow for those incapable of telling what a topic is.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.3.8  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @4.3.7    3 years ago
And once again, I feel sorrow for those incapable of telling what a topic is.

Well I'm sure Vic will take that under consideration...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.3.9  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @4.3.8    3 years ago
Well I'm sure Vic will take that under consideration...

Keep proving Reagan right.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5  seeder  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

BgfVzl4C?format=jpg&name=small
One of the Great Governors

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick also tweeted a picture of Democratic lawmakers, saying, “Smiling House Dems fly off to DC on a private jet with a case of Miller Lite, breaking House quorum, abandoning their constituents, while the Senate still works.”

E6HtaIFWQAkt9aq?format=jpg&name=small
Progressives in action or is it vacation?

E6H6sjTWQAcCRCw?format=jpg&name=small

off to DC on a private jet with a case of Miller Lite, breaking House quorum, abandoning their constituents and the Great state of Texas.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    3 years ago

I think thats a bus, not a private jet. 

Some of them were going to DC by bus. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    3 years ago

What does that mean?   How do you know that wasn't a bus to or from the airport.

I doubt they took a bus from Texas to DC. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.1    3 years ago

I heard on a news report yesterday that some of them were going to DC by bus. I have to admit though that I dont have the proof on me and am not going to look it up just for your benefit. 

Why do you care how they got there or what they were drinking? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.2    3 years ago
I heard on a news report yesterday that some of them were going to DC by bus.

If they did, God bless them. 

Why do you care how they got there or what they were drinking? 

I really don't, but when someone makes a point to say that is a bus ride, I get the impression that there is an attempt to contradict the entire seed. I'm not being paranoid. I've just happen to have a lot of experience here. They were on a bus and we don't know it they are going to or from the airport or the 21 hour, 1,533 mile bus ride from Austin Texas to Washington DC.  I think we've covered it, right John?

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.2  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    3 years ago

A whole case of beer ... WOW!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Hallux @5.2    3 years ago

There's probably 24 people on the bus so they each get one beer. Then again maybe they have 4 more cases out of camera view. 

I have a thought - who cares? 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.2.2  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @5.2.1    3 years ago

About the only thing I care about there is that I really don't consider that beer.  It's more slightly colored water...  

Outside of that,  really.  Who cares...  They are all adults there. So long as the law allows for open containers of alcohol then having a bottle or two while the bus heads down the road is no big deal. 

I would have more respect for them if they had real beer...  oh well...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Snuffy @5.2.2    3 years ago

I know some guys that will drink nothing but Miller Lite. When you drink 10 or 12 at a sitting you want something "lite'. By the way I am talking about people who are so successful they can go golfing whenever they want. 

I have a brother who will go into the most expensive steak house in town and order a Miller Lite. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.2.4  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @5.2.3    3 years ago
I have a brother who will go into the most expensive steak house in town and order a Miller Lite. 

sigh....     so long as he doesn't use A-1 or some such steak sauce...   I grew up with the belief that if you need steak sauce, that steak is too old to eat and you might as well give it to the dogs. 

I mean, to each his own and if he likes drinking near-to-beer more power to him. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    3 years ago

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.4  Greg Jones  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    3 years ago

Wow....talk about fat and ugly!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.4.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Greg Jones @5.4    3 years ago

It may be a requirement.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.4.2  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @5.4    3 years ago

Who?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.4.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @5.4.2    3 years ago

Could he mean Peter Townshend?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.4.4  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.4.3    3 years ago

Meaning, and you knew exactly what I meant, who is fat and ugly on that bus (you said it must be a requirement for Democrats obviously) to be fat and ugly.

You're not cute or funny

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.5  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    3 years ago

That's obviously not a jet - it's a bus FFS you can obviously see the street outside the 'jet' jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.5.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @5.5    3 years ago

Obviously not.

Where do you think it was going?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.5.2  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.5.1    3 years ago

Who cares?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.5.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @5.5.2    3 years ago

Obviously you do. You did write post 5.5?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.5.4  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.5.3    3 years ago

Who gives a shit if they were taking a bus to a private jet and WTF difference does it make anyway FFS?

Whose private jet?

Does it seat 24?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  JohnRussell    3 years ago

I think there is a lot of theater, on both sides, on the topic of voting legislation. 

We should have more uniformity in voting procedures across the country.  We should not have cases where a state or county can say "we are more conservative here so we need more conservative voting rules". 

There used to be an election "day" because there wasnt the technology or the interest in having multiple times and methods for voting. Now there are, and the ability to vote should not be hindered. On the other hand, I dont think states need 15 or 20 early voting days, and I think there needs to be some eminently workable form of identification that the person who cast the vote is registered and is the person whose name is registered. A simple signature verification system can ensure that. 

Mail in votes should not be sent out to people who do not request them, BUT it should not be against the rules for the election board to send out applications for a mail in ballot. Sending out the official ballot itself should not be permitted until an application is sent in by the voter, but sending out the application unsolicited is perfectly fine. 

No state should have a piece of legislation that allows a committee consisting of the majority party in that state to reverse the results of an election on the premise that the election was "fraudulent".  Such matters, should they exist, can ONLY be adjudicated in a recognized U.S. court, and definitely not by partisan committees associated with partisan state legislatures. 

This stuff is not that difficult to figure out. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @6    3 years ago
We should have more uniformity in voting procedures across the country. 

We once did. It was called voting in person on election day.

There used to be an election "day" because there wasnt the technology or the interest in having multiple times and methods for voting. Now there are, and the ability to vote should not be hindered. On the other hand, I dont think states need 15 or 20 early voting days, and I think there needs to be some eminently workable form of identification that the person who cast the vote is registered and is the person whose name is registered. A simple signature verification system can ensure that. 

There is no signature verification system that can be as good as in person voting. In addition there are usually a percentage of mail in ballots that are discarded. That needs to be kept in mind. 

Mail in votes should not be sent out to people who do not request them, BUT it should not be against the rules for the election board to send out applications for a mail in ballot. Sending out the official ballot itself should not be permitted until an application is sent in by the voter, but sending out the application unsolicited is perfectly fine

Agreed.

No state should have a piece of legislation that allows a committee consisting of the majority party in that state to reverse the results of an election on the premise that the election was "fraudulent".  Such matters, should they exist, can ONLY be adjudicated in a recognized U.S. court, and definitely not by partisan committees associated with partisan state legislatures.  

Agreed.

However, we have just had an election held with an unprecedented number of mail-in-ballots. That is where we can learn a lot about mail-in-voting.

These were the key sates, (Places where Joe Biden did best):
As of Dec 6th 2020

Nevada:   33,596 votes separate Trump and Biden (2.4%), with six electoral votes at stake.

Nevada approved a plan in early August to mail ballots to all registered voters without request. That included dead voters, voters who had moved, or voters had otherwise become ineligible to vote.

In addition, live ballots for the taking reportedly piled up in the common areas of apartment complexes.

Campaign lawyer Jesse Binnall presented evidence Thursday that 1,506 votes came from dead people, 42,284 double ballots were cast, about 20,000 voters voted without having a Nevada mailing address, and 2,468 voters had changed their addresses to another state. Judge James Russell dismissed the lawsuit claiming lack of evidence.

Arizona:   10,457 votes separate Trump and Biden (0.3%), 11 electoral votes at stake.

Unlike Nevada, Arizonans are required to request an absentee ballot in order to vote by mail.

Arizona Republican Party Chairman Kelli Ward sought to reverse Biden's razor-thin victory under a state law that allows voters to dispute certified results if they suspect misconduct, illegal votes, or an inaccurate count.

Judge Randall Warner wrote "there is no evidence that the inaccuracies were intentional or part of a fraudulent scheme. They were mistakes. And given both the small number of duplicate ballots and the low error rate, the evidence does not show any impact on the outcome."

Ward said she intends to appeal.

Wisconsin:   20,682 votes separate Trump and Biden (0.7%), 10 electoral votes at stake.

Wisconsin is similar to Arizona, in that there is no universal mail-in voting. Registered voters must submit an application to receive a ballot and vote by mail.

Last week the Wisconsin Supreme Court declined to take up the Trump campaign challenge of the elections results, telling the lawyers that they should have brought the action first to a lower court. Three justices disagreed and wanted to hear the case.

"Petitioners assert troubling allegations of noncompliance with Wisconsin's election laws by public officials on whom the voters rely to ensure free and fair elections," wrote Justice Rebecca Bradley's dissent. "The majority's failure to embrace its duty (or even an impulse) to decide this case risks perpetuating violations of the law by those entrusted to follow it."

The campaign's chief Wisconsin lawyer in the state said that he expects "to be back in front of the Supreme Court very soon."

Michigan:   154,188 votes separate Trump and Biden (2.8%), 16 electoral votes at stake.

Mail-in ballots in Michigan hit a record of 3.3 million of over 5 million ballots cast.

Yet, the state witnessed only a tiny number of rejected ballots, just 15,300 or .5 percent. Typically, the state sees a 1 percent rejection rate.

Much of Trump's recount focus has been on the software used in election machines.

This past week the Trump campaign had cause to celebrate when a Michigan judge ordered a forensic examination of 22 Dominion voting tabulation machines in Antrim County, where election officials first noticed that thousands of votes intended for the president went to Biden.

Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani believed it was a big win for honest elections.

"Antrim County Judge in Michigan orders forensic examination of 22 Dominion voting machines," he tweeted. "This is where the untrustworthy Dominion machine flipped 6,000 votes from Trump to Biden. Spiking of votes by Dominion happened all over the state."

Pennsylvania:   81,660 votes separate Trump and Biden (1.2%), 20 electoral votes at stake.

More than 2.6 million mail-in ballots were cast in the presidential race and Joe Biden won the group with 75% of the vote.

Rep. Mark Kelly, R-Pa., has filed suit   to overturn the state's mail-in ballot rules and his action has caught the attention of the U.S. Supreme Court, which is seeking Pennsylvania officials to respond by December 8.

Pennsylvania created a mail-in ballot nightmare.

Prior to the general election, the state supreme court approved a three-day extension for the delivery of mail-in ballots, without requiring a postmark, as well as permitting the use of unmanned ballot drop boxes.

The court admitted that the order violated the state constitution, but said that the COVID outbreak necessitated the rule changes. They also violate the U.S. Constitution, which provides that state legislatures set the time, place, and manner of elections — not judges.

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court later approved an executive order from Gov. Tom Wolf, a Democrat, stating that county officials "are prohibited from rejecting absentee or mail-in ballots based on signature comparison," thus creating another alleged constitutional violation.

Georgia:   61,837 votes separate Trump and Biden (0.2%), 16 electoral votes at stake.

Trump has stated   had the state used a simple signature verification match for all mail-in ballots, he would have easily one.

On Saturday speaking at a Valdosta, Georgia, rally in support of the state's two GOP senators, Trump blasted the general election's mail-in ballots as "phony" and "fake," and surveillance footage the campaign obtained from an Atlanta voting tabulation center appears to confirm that.

The footage appears to depict election officials scanning ballots obtained from suitcases stored beneath a table, after they had dismissed reporters and GOP watchers.

I don't think most Americans want to relive that one.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1    3 years ago
There is no signature verification system that can be as good as in person voting.

I have never voted other than in person and on election day. And I have been voting for almost 50 years and haver never missed voting in a general election. 

Signature verification is the only voter identification they do in Illinois , even at the polling place on election day !  So just what the heck are you talking about. I have voted in dozens of elections , on election day, and have never shown my "ID" to anyone. 

Back in the old days, each precinct had a big book , big physical three ring binder with the info and signatures of every voter in that precinct. When you signed a slip on election day, in front of the election judges, they checked your signature against the one in the book , which was made when you registered to vote. The same system is still in use with one change, now there is no three ring binder , the signatures are kept in a file on a laptop. 

This system is ENTIRELY sufficient to prevent fraud, and can be adapted to account for mail in votes. 

We KNOW that Republicans around the country want to cut down the Democratic vote because they have been telling us so for years. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1    3 years ago
Nevada:   33,596 votes separate Trump and Biden (2.4%), with six electoral votes at stake.

Nevada approved a plan in early August to mail ballots to all registered voters without request. That included dead voters, voters who had moved, or voters had otherwise become ineligible to vote.

In addition, live ballots for the taking reportedly piled up in the common areas of apartment complexes.

Campaign lawyer Jesse Binnall presented evidence Thursday that 1,506 votes came from dead people, 42,284 double ballots were cast, about 20,000 voters voted without having a Nevada mailing address, and 2,468 voters had changed their addresses to another state. Judge James Russell dismissed the lawsuit claiming lack of evidence.

The idea that only Democrats would scheme to vote as dead people, use double ballots, or vote without an address , and Republicans wouldnt do it, is utter nonsense. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.1.3  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1    3 years ago
That is where we can learn a lot about mail-in-voting.

What we 'learn' from the link is that Trump's legal team claimed to have a plethora of evidence and FAILED to produce ONE iota of it.

In FACT, in Michigan, Trump's legal team is facing sanction based on their 'bad faith' briefs and false filings. 

Maybe you should remove that 6 month old link from your bookmarks. It's woefully outdated and actually documents the utter lack of evidence of voter fraud. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.1.4  Dulay  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.1    3 years ago

It's been discussed many times here that the ONLY ID verification that ANY state conducts is a signature verification. Even in states that require a photo ID, poll workers do NOT compare photos, they compare signatures. 

What's utterly hilarious [read as hypocritical] about Vic's argument is that he has admitted that he is a mail in voter with a 'Good for me, not for thee' mentality. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @6.1.4    3 years ago

He has said that mail in voters are lazy.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.6  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.2    3 years ago

History says otherwise. How long has Chicago had the democrat machine? How long did New York have Tammany Hall?

What really happen in 1960?

I'm afraid it's the same party that gave us secession. The democratic party is kind of like the young thug of American politics.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.7  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.6    3 years ago

If Daley helped Kennedy in 1960, it was not by having thousands of people illegally cast ballots (which is virtually impossible given the presence of Republican election judges on the scene and verifying identities) it was by reporting vote totals for Kennedy above what they actually were. Political machines like that dont nickel and dime by having phony voters actually show up at polling places with fake id. 

Nixon chose not to challenge the vote in Illinois. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.8  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.7    3 years ago
Nixon chose not to challenge the vote in Illinois. 

He personally questioned it as did many observers. Nixon's reason for not contesting it was that it would be bad for the nation. That was then. Long before the time of Al Gore, Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump.

Gee, does that mean people were more civilized back then?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.2  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @6    3 years ago

The states control elections within their states; and make the laws, rules, and procedures that must be adhered to. Not the Democrats in the damn federal government. States will not give up their rights any more to control their own elections; than they will give up the electoral college.

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.2.1  Dulay  replied to  Ronin2 @6.2    3 years ago
Not the Democrats in the damn federal government. States will not give up their rights any more to control their own elections; than they will give up the electoral college.

The 'damn federal government' is the one that mandates the electoral college. jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.2.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Dulay @6.2.1    3 years ago

And what is the procedure for eliminating it? That's right. 3/4 of the states and 2/3 of Congress. Thus, the states aren't going to give up the electoral college. No way 38 states are going to vote for that. There is a reason it is there and they aren't going to turn the country over to the coasts.

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.2.3  Dulay  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.2.2    3 years ago
There is a reason it is there and they aren't going to turn the country over to the coasts.

There is no need to eliminate the electoral college to skin that cat Jim.

The arbitrary cap on the number in the House, and therefore the number in the electoral college, can easily be changed by Congress. Since that cap was put in place, the population of Congressional Districts has more than tripled. Instead of a cap on the number of Representatives, there should be a cap on the amount of population that each Congressperson represents. That would ADD more Representatives and MORE representation of the ACTUAL population in the electoral college. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @6.2.3    3 years ago
The arbitrary cap on the number in the House, and therefore the number in the electoral college, can easily be changed by Congress.

Have you been following the news for the last 20 years or so?

You think it would be easy to pass such legislation?

Whoo boy!

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.2.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @6.2.3    3 years ago

Or better still, we could simply say that due to "covid" we will mail out millions of unsolicited ballots hither & yon. Then we can total up the same day election ballots, post them so we know we need to win and then take as long as it takes to count up the millions of mail in ballots. That would ADD a lot more representation to the desired districts.

JBB
Professor Principal
6.2.6  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.2.5    3 years ago

That never happened. Absentee ballots are matched to signatures plus canvassing and audits proved voter fraud was not a problem. It is easy to detect, highly illegal and impossible to pull off in ways that change elections...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.2.7  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @6.2.6    3 years ago

Just like the FISA Warrants had a high standard of proof.

Here, rulings from 3 key states:

• In   Michigan , the state   Court of Claims ruled   that Secretary of State   Jocelyn Benson   violated state law a month before the election by instructing that local election clerks to   presume all signatures were valid   and to reject only those with “multiple significant and obvious” irregularities. Benson had previously mailed absentee ballots to everyone on the state’s voting rolls under the pretense of coronavirus “emergency” orders.

• In   Wisconsin , the state   Supreme Court ruled   in December that election officials including Gov.   Tony Evers   lacked authority to let healthy voters ignore the state’s voter ID requirements by declaring themselves “indefinitely confined.”

• In   Virginia , a Circuit Court judge   permanently banned   the state Department of Elections’ recently implemented policy to allow ballots without postmarks after Election Day after the   Public Interest Legal Foundation   filed suit.

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.2.8  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.4    3 years ago

Strawman. I said easily changed NOT easily passed. Stop trolling me Tex. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.9  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @6.2.8    3 years ago
Strawman. I said easily changed NOT easily passed.

Bullshit. It can NOT be changed easily because it requires legislation to change it.

Thus, it can NOT be easily changed.

Unless you think somehow it can be changed without legislation, of course, which would truly be folly.

Spin your own words however you want, but I ain't buying it!

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.2.10  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.2.5    3 years ago

Wow, that is a delusional comment Vic. 

Then we can total up the same day election ballots, post them so we know we need to win

I presume that you meant 'know how many we need to win'. It's still delusional. There isn't one iota of evidence of election fraud, except of course the Republican guy that voted for his dead mom...

and then take as long as it takes to count up the millions of mail in ballots.

Each state has a codified date for certifying it's election Vic. 

Tell you what, cite ONE state that missed it's state codified certification deadline. 

That would ADD a lot more representation to the desired districts.

Obtuse. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.11  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @6.2.8    3 years ago
Stop trolling me Tex. 

Pointing out false statements isn't trolling.

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.2.12  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.11    3 years ago

Strawman. I said easily changed NOT easily passed. Stop trolling me Tex. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.2.13  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.9    3 years ago
Bullshit. It can NOT be changed easily because it requires legislation to change it.

I heard somewhere that passing legislation is what they are elected to do. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.14  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @6.2.12    3 years ago
I said easily changed NOT easily passed.

Surely you can recognize the inanity of that statement.

If it is easily changed, then it would be easy to pass.

And it isn't.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.15  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @6.2.13    3 years ago
I heard somewhere that passing legislation is what they are elected to do

Oh, really?

Is THAT what Texas Democrats are currently doing?

LMAO!

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.2.16  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.15    3 years ago

Whoosh, right over your head...

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.2.17  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Dulay @6.2.16    3 years ago

Point being it has to be passed to be changed. Whoosh right over your head indeed.................

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.18  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @6.2.16    3 years ago

Never.

Don't be so ridiculous.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.19  Texan1211  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.2.17    3 years ago

Yeah, that seems to be the part he doesn't get.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7  Texan1211    3 years ago

Good for Abbott.

Democrats should be arrested and returned to the Capitol of Texas as soon as they touch foot on Texas again.

Force them to do the job they were elected to do.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
7.1  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @7    3 years ago

Republicans typically talk in language advocating force or violence to accomplish their political goals.  The authoritarian/fascist mindset is prevalent among hard right reactionaries.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @7.1    3 years ago
The authoritarian/fascist mindset is prevalent among hard right reactionaries.

That is pretty damn funny.

Me, I hope they lock the cowards in the Texas House when they get enough nerve to come back to the state until they vote one way or another on legislation.

That IS their job, isn't it?

Dulay
Professor Expert
7.1.2  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.1    3 years ago
That IS their job, isn't it?

Actually NO. Their job is to represent their constituents. They are doing just that in DC. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @7.1.2    3 years ago
Actually NO. Their job is to represent their constituents. They are doing just that in DC. 

They are doing squat in DC, other than shirking their responsibilities in Texas.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @7.1.2    3 years ago

Obviously those gqp in Texas DO NOT REPRESENT THEIR CONSTITUENTS.  They only represent themselves.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @7.1.2    3 years ago
They are doing just that in DC. 

Then clearly you don't understand what state legislatures' responsibilities are.

They are NOT paid to represent anyone in DC.

They are paid to represent Texans in Texas.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
7.1.6  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.1    3 years ago

Fascism is no joke.  My grandfather left his village in Belarus before the Russian Revolution for a better life in America.  When the Nazis invaded his village, his mother and his brothers and sisters were marched into the forest and shot dead.  Fascists today, like Dylann Roof and the other sick fucks, would happily do the same thing here.

The Texas Democratic legislators are courageously defending our democracy.

The worthless cowards are McConnell and the Senate Republicans outrageously abusing the filibuster to avoid voting on vital legislation, including necessary legislation to protect and strengthen the right to vote.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
7.1.7  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.3    3 years ago

The Texas Democratic legislators are in DC doing the important work of lobbying for necessary votings rights legislation to protect their constituents' rights.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @7.1.6    3 years ago

It's always amusing when progressives start bandying the words "fascists" and "authoritarians" around.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
7.1.9  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.5    3 years ago

Clearly you don't understand that state legislators are often in DC to lobby for legislation and  engage in other activities furthering their constituents' interests.

However, the indicted Republican Texas Attorney General is not paid to sue other states to try to over turn their election results.  

Gsquared
Professor Principal
7.1.10  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.8    3 years ago

It's truly disgusting when reactionaries give tacit support to fascists and authoritarians.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @7.1.7    3 years ago
The Texas Democratic legislators are in DC doing the important work of lobbying for necessary votings rights legislation to protect their constituents' rights.

Unsuccessfully, it appears.

Inside the secret plan for the Texas Democratic exodus: A phone tree, a scramble to pack and a politically perilous trip (msn.com)

On their first day in town, the Texans did score a meeting with Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) — but the exchange left some of them pessimistic about whether their foray to Washington will make a difference. Asked if Schumer or other members of Congress had made new pledges to advance federal voting legislation, state Rep. Senfronia Thompson said: “Not a one.”

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @7.1.10    3 years ago
It's truly disgusting when reactionaries give tacit support to fascists and authoritarians.

I agree!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8  Texan1211    3 years ago

Anyone notice how fast the Vice President is willing to meet with cowardly, derelict Democratic "lawmakers" from Texas compared to how long it took her to get to the border?

Less than a week compared to three months!

Hallux
PhD Principal
8.1  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @8    3 years ago

Have you ever tried to herd derelicts? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @8.1    3 years ago

Derelict definition:

Derelict | Definition of Derelict at Dictionary.com

noun
a person abandoned by society, especially a person without a permanent home and means of support;   vagrant ;   bum .
Nautical .   a vessel abandoned in open water by its crew without any hope or intention of returning.
personal property abandoned or thrown away by the owner.
one guilty of neglect of duty.

Hallux
PhD Principal
8.1.2  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.1    3 years ago

I was sympathizing with V.P. Harris.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @8.1.2    3 years ago

WHY?

It is something she has CHOSEN to do.

FortunateSon
Freshman Silent
9  FortunateSon    3 years ago
were prepared to run out the clock on a special session that ends early next month.

LOL 

They will keep calling special sessions again and again for the next yr and half

Be a long time on the lamb

Can't wait to see those fools arrested and cabined inside the state capitol as they watch these laws pass anyway.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1  Texan1211  replied to  FortunateSon @9    3 years ago
They will keep calling special sessions again and again for the next yr and half Be a long time on the lamb

If it is necessary.

I wonder if their families will miss them?

FortunateSon
Freshman Silent
9.1.1  FortunateSon  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1    3 years ago

We got one left nut in the family. None of us ever miss them.

Good riddance.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  FortunateSon @9.1.1    3 years ago
We got one left nut in the family. None of us ever miss them.

LOL!

Might want to rephrase that to "One nut left in the family"!!

LOL!

My family, we have both our nuts!

FortunateSon
Freshman Silent
9.1.3  FortunateSon  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.2    3 years ago

Rumor has it...

Enough democrats stayed or were found to allow a quorum call today.

Have no idea if true.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  FortunateSon @9.1.3    3 years ago

I haven't heard that.

Last I heard, the clowns were all fired up about meeting the Vice President, who found this particular situation far more urgent, based on the length of time it took her to address it, compared to other issues.

FortunateSon
Freshman Silent
9.1.5  FortunateSon  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.4    3 years ago

4 Senate dems stayed and the election law just passed the Senate.

It's the house dems who will be arrested

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  FortunateSon @9.1.5    3 years ago

So the rethuglicans just passed another suppressive voting law.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  FortunateSon @9.1.5    3 years ago
4 Senate dems stayed and the election law just passed the Senate.

Awesome!

Part of the way there to passing sensible voting laws!!

Whoo hoo!

It's the house dems who will be arrested

Great! It is exactly what is warranted for people too scared to work!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
10  seeder  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

This Just In:

"Texas  House Speaker Dade Phelan on Wednesday called on  state Democratic lawmakers  to give up their daily stipend of $221 as they hunker down in Washington, D.C. to avoid passing a voting reform bill.

"While these Texas Democrats collect taxpayer money as they ride on private jets to meet with the Washington elite, those who remain in the chamber await their return to begin work on providing our retired teachers a 13th check, protecting our foster kids, and providing taxpayer relief," Phelan said in a statement Wednesday. "Those who are intentionally denying quorum should return their per diem to the State Treasury immediately upon receipt."

kjqEMF-F?format=jpg&name=small

devangelical
Professor Principal
10.1  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @10    3 years ago

governor tea-party-shopping-cart is desperate to pass anything that looks like he accomplished something for the evicted 4th reich and put some distance between his past incompetence and his 2022 re-election bid.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.2  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @10    3 years ago

Perfect, but pretty sure none of the progressive liberals who ran away would have the personal integrity to do such a noble thing.

devangelical
Professor Principal
10.2.1  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @10.2    3 years ago

please feel free to expand on the nobility of texas rwnj's and their hero with the orange comb over.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @10.2.1    3 years ago

I could never expand on the plethora of lies progressive liberals make up!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
10.2.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @10.2    3 years ago

We'll have to do it for them. They are going to return to campaign, come election time. That's when they should be arrested. I only wish I could be one of the Texas Rangers for that one.

OIP.iWpITfpQOkwRUtDOzyhcgQHaOG?w=181&h=345&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11  JohnRussell    3 years ago

I dont really follow Texas politics but I have a sister who lives in San Antonio and from time to time she fills me in on their incompetent state government. 

As far as I can tell, Greg Abbott is one of the dumbest high level politicians in America.  I said that to my sister and lets just say she did not disagree. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @11    3 years ago

"As far as" you can tell sums it up.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1    3 years ago

If it walks like a dumbass and talks like a dumbass, good chance its a dumbass. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1.1    3 years ago

As far as you can tell!

Or did some progressive liberal put the idea in your head?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
13  seeder  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

In conclusion:

Texas democrats have in a round about way used a filibuster. You know, the thing they want to do away with in DC.

Unfortunately we have to wait for the next election cycle.