╌>

Cleveland Indians changing name to Cleveland Guardians

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  51 comments

By:   Jason Hanna and Homero De la Fuente (MSN)

Cleveland Indians changing name to Cleveland Guardians
The Cleveland Indians are changing their name next season to the Cleveland Guardians, the Major League Baseball club announced Friday morning, after the old moniker drew criticism for decades from Native Americans.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The Cleveland Indians are changing their name next season to the Cleveland Guardians, the Major League Baseball club announced Friday morning, after the old moniker drew criticism for decades from Native Americans.

"You see, there's always been a Cleveland -- that's the best part of our name," actor Tom Hanks says in a video announcement he narrated for the team, which posted it on Twitter. "And now it's time to unite as one family, one community, to build the next era for this team and this city."

The move is part of a larger cultural shift across the US as corporate brands reexamine their use of racist caricatures and stereotypical names.

The team announced last year that it would be making a name change, joining the NFL's Washington Football Team to say in 2020 that it was moving on from a name invoking Native Americans. Cleveland removed the "Chief Wahoo" logo, a caricature of a Native American character, from its uniforms following the 2018 season.

The choice of Guardians draws inspiration from Cleveland's architectural history. The Guardians of Traffic are the large art deco statues that adorn the Hope Memorial Bridge that connects the city's west side with the east side.

"We are excited to usher in the next era of the deep history of baseball in Cleveland," team owner and chairman Paul Dolan said in a news release. "Cleveland has and always will be the most important part of our identity. Therefore, we wanted a name that strongly represents the pride, resiliency and loyalty of Clevelanders."

The Cleveland club will retain its colors, it said. It will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. ET to detail the name change.

How Guardians was chosen

Guardians will be the fifth name in the franchise's 120-year major league history, following the Blues, Bronchos and Naps -- though Indians had by far the longest tenure, dating to 1915.

The team surveyed 40,000 fans; conducted 140 hours of interviews with fans, community leaders and staff; and considered more than 1,190 names before choosing Guardians, it said.

'"Guardians' reflects those attributes that define us while drawing on the iconic Guardians of Traffic just outside the ballpark on the Hope Memorial Bridge," Dolan said in the news release. "It brings to life the pride Clevelanders take in our city and the way we fight together for all who choose to be part of the Cleveland baseball family.

"While 'Indians' will always be a part of our history, our new name will help unify our fans and city as we are all Cleveland Guardians."

Continue ReadingShow full articles without "Continue Reading" button for {0} hours. Microsoft and partners may be compensated if you purchase something through recommended links in this article.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

OIF.vBOskZHWbQwOcnHIJWilcg?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

There will be some die hards that will whine about this, but it really is a sign of progress. 

Who doesnt like progress ? 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ozzwald  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 years ago
Who doesnt like progress ?

"Who are Conservatives?".

54099029.jpg

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

Offensive to guards 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    3 years ago

Not sure about the superhero look on the logo, but other than that its a pretty cool name. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    3 years ago

The logo is one of the statues, it looks like.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    3 years ago

Or to court appointed guardians! 

JBB
Professor Principal
4  JBB    3 years ago

Good!

Ender
Professor Principal
5  Ender    3 years ago

The new name has a connection with the city. It fits.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6  Sparty On    3 years ago

Ridiculous!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Sparty On @6    3 years ago

It is. Another traditional American icon goes away.

Wonder if the Indians were a winning team year after year after year if the Indians (people) would still be "offended". I believe that the name was given to show strength. Just like the Atlanta Braves and Washington Redskins.

I think we should make the Dallas Cowboys change their name.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.1    3 years ago

Perhaps the name should have been changed to the Cleveland Native Americans? Or Cleveland Indigenous Peoples? 🤔 jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.1    3 years ago

Honestly i could care less but think it is ridiculous.   More and more people are getting more and more thinned skinned as time goes on.   Life here in the US is just going to getting worse and worse until people begin to accept that not everything always goes 100% your way.

That said not one American Indian i personally asked about this was offended by the "Indians" name.   Not one.   I'm sure it will be much different here on NT but there you go.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  Gordy327 @6.1.1    3 years ago

When talk of the proposed change first got serious, my thought was they could change it to a specific local tribe. But that would probably offend somebody, too.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.4  Gordy327  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.3    3 years ago

Yeah, probably. Perhaps naming the team after a local tribe would have caused complaint that the name wasn't "inclusive" enough.

Hallux
PhD Principal
6.1.5  Hallux  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.1    3 years ago
I think we should make the Dallas Cowboys change their name.

the Dallas Debbies?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1.6  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Hallux @6.1.5    3 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif   jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif   jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Hallux
PhD Principal
6.1.7  Hallux  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.1.6    3 years ago

Ah, you've also seen the Deepthroat 'Documentary'.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
6.1.8  1stwarrior  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.2    3 years ago

Keep on going Sparty - let's hear it from the NY Jews - how 'bout the Chicago N****s - maybe the Philadelphia Wops.

Not offensive, right?  "But, we're only honoring them" - BFS.  You honor them by NOT using their name to praise your deeds.

Waiting on you to ask me if I was offended - after all, I am Native American and I am on NT - so near yet so far away.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.9  Vic Eldred  replied to  1stwarrior @6.1.8    3 years ago

Or the "Fighting Irish!"

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.10  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.9    3 years ago

I am Irish and "Fighting Irish" doesnt bother me a bit. 

Veronica
Professor Guide
6.1.11  Veronica  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.10    3 years ago

What about the "Fighting Micks"?  

I do not see why we cannot leave such names behind us.  Why are so many people upset by privately owned teams changing their names?  Did anyone have a hissy fit when the Tampa Bay Devil Rays changed their name to the Tampa Bay Rays?  Ridiculous.  Get your panties in a wad for something so minute when shit storms are occurring daily that mean something.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.12  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Veronica @6.1.11    3 years ago

I dont know. I guess I dont think the Irish are victims anymore. If there was a team named the "Fighting Micks" and the 50,000 fans celebrated a home run or a touchdown by raising a foam glass of beer and pretending to drink from it as "Micks" might do maybe it would seem more offensive. 

The name "Fighting Irish" is more of a compliment than an insult, because it refers to the team spirit, not fist fighting. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.13  Sparty On  replied to  1stwarrior @6.1.8    3 years ago

You are entitled to your opinion, as am i.   

For my part i still think it's a ridiculous "woke" overreaction and as noted i am far from alone on that.

And i don't need to single anyone out here on NT to ask if they are offended.   A big percentage of the people here will be.   That was my point.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.14  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.10    3 years ago

Nor would it bother the Irish i've known in Boston. They love the name.

Interesting, isn't it?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.1.15  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.12    3 years ago

guess I dont think the Irish are victims anymore

how is that possible?.  Isn’t victimhood genetically inherited? I thought I’m  entitled to special treatment, governmental discrimination on my behalf and reparations for all of my ancestors suffering.  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.1.16  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.12    3 years ago
The name "Fighting Irish" is more of a compliment than an insult

All team names are designed to be compliments and unifying symbols. 

No team is nicknamed the Cowards. Or the Defeated. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.17  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.14    3 years ago

It sure it.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.18  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Hallux @6.1.5    3 years ago

As they usually rock the joint when they play, how about the Dallas Doobies?jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     3 years ago

Excellent

Ender
Professor Principal
8  Ender    3 years ago
@JoshuaGrubbsPhD
·
2h
TBH, The Guardians is much more authentically Cleveland than most jokesters on this website understand These four statues--The Guardians of Transportation--are absolute icons in the city and familiar to anyone who has any sort of roots in the area

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9  Trout Giggles    3 years ago

I like it

Tacos!
Professor Guide
10  Tacos!    3 years ago

The new name is fine, and culturally it’s maybe better because it more directly represents icons of the city. But I think anyone who thought the ball club or the people of Cleveland were interested in offending Native Americans is an idiot. They were trying to celebrate and emulate those people in a fun way. That’s how sports mascots work.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
10.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Tacos! @10    3 years ago

Well, now the angry, uptight, and unhappy lefties can rush off and be offended by some other innocuous thing

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Greg Jones @10.1    3 years ago

Yep .... on to the next catastrophic crisis of minutia

Tacos!
Professor Guide
10.1.2  Tacos!  replied to  Greg Jones @10.1    3 years ago

Yeah! When is somebody going to do something about this:

original

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Tacos! @10.1.2    3 years ago

Put a trigger warning on that...So racist....

It's amazing how every other team nickname is seen as something to be honored except those related to indians.   

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
10.1.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tacos! @10.1.2    3 years ago

Or this...........oh wait they started that already...........

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @10.1.4    3 years ago

r this...........oh wait they started that already.

Americans' desire to feel oppressed is apparently infectious. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.1.6  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @10.1.4    3 years ago

Although one could argue both ways about the leprechaun (there are Irish that dont mind being described as "fighting" ) the bottom line I think is that the mascot is not an egregious enough slur against Irish heritage to merit removal, and I would be shocked if ND ever removes it. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
10.1.7  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @10.1.6    3 years ago

Tell us why the word Indians is offensive and the word Irish is not?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.1.8  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @10.1.7    3 years ago

S.O.P. ....... crickets

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
10.1.9  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @10.1.8    3 years ago

That was a tough quwestion.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Trump has weighed in, putting out a press release saying the name change is a "disgrace". 

No word if anyone asked him why he thinks this is any of his business. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @11    3 years ago

‘Such a disgrace’: Former President Trump reacts as Cleveland Indians announce Guardians as new name

CLEVELAND — Shortly after the   Cleveland Indians officially revealed they are changing the team name to the Cleveland Guardians , the announcement captured the attention of former President Donald Trump. He called the name situation “a disgrace.”

“Can anybody believe that the   Cleveland Indians , a storied and cherished baseball franchise since taking the name in 1915, are changing their name to the Guardians? Such a disgrace, and I guarantee that the people who are most angry about it are the many Indians of our Country.”

Former President Trump also said he “cannot believe things such as this are happening."

“A small group of people, with absolutely crazy ideas and policies, is forcing these changes to destroy our culture and heritage,” his statement continues (read the full statement at the bottom of this story). “At some point, the people will not take it anymore!”

The new team name was announced Friday in a video announcement narrated by actor Tom Hanks.

“Together we stand with all who understand what it means to be born and built from the land – because this is the city we love and the game we believe in. And together, we are all Cleveland Guardians,” the video declares.

Together, we are all...   pic.twitter.com/R5FnT4kv1I — Cleveland Indians (@Indians)   July 23, 2021

The Cleveland Indigenous Coalition said   they are pleased with the team for taking a comprehensive approach   “to listen and learn and show it is possible to take steps toward change.”

"Our community has worked tirelessly to be recognized as diverse and vibrant, instead of being portrayed in inaccurate and harmful ways," according to their statement. "This name change will help create a place where Native American children and their families are valued and fully seen."

The team will start transitioning to the new name at the conclusion of the 2021 baseball season.

“We are excited to usher in the next era of the deep history of baseball in Cleveland,” team owner and chairman Paul Dolan said. “Cleveland has and always will be the most important part of our identity. Therefore, we wanted a name that strongly represents the pride, resiliency and loyalty of Clevelanders. ‘Guardians’ reflects those attributes that define us while drawing on the iconic Guardians of Traffic just outside the ballpark on the Hope Memorial Bridge. It brings to life the pride Clevelanders take in our city and the way we fight together for all who choose to be part of the Cleveland baseball family. While ‘Indians’ will always be a part of our history, our new name will help unify our fans and city as we are all Cleveland Guardians.”

Here is the full statement from former President Trump, which was released early Friday afternoon:

Can anybody believe that the Cleveland Indians, a storied and cherished baseball franchise since taking the name in 1915, are changing their name to the Guardians? Such a disgrace, and I guarantee that the people who are most angry about it are the many Indians of our Country. Wouldn’t it be an honor to have a team named the Cleveland Indians, and wouldn’t it be disrespectful to rip that name and logo off of those jerseys? The people of Cleveland cannot be thrilled and I, as a FORMER baseball fan, cannot believe things such as this are happening. A small group of people, with absolutely crazy ideas and policies, is forcing these changes to destroy our culture and heritage. At some point, the people will not take it anymore!

MORE HEADLINES:

Ender
Professor Principal
11.1.1  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1    3 years ago

Anyone that still listens to him is a complete moron.

I don't buy for one second that he even knew the name of the team before all this.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
11.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Ender @11.1.1    3 years ago
I don't buy for one second that he even knew the name of the team before all this.

Hell, Trump thought "deplorables" was a complement until someone finally told him.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.2  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @11    3 years ago

I see .... so apparently you think it's your business and NTers business but not Trumps?

Alllllllrighty then .....

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @11.2    3 years ago

I have a few followers, he has millions . Those are different levels of responsibility. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.2.2  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @11.2.1    3 years ago
I have a few followers, he has millions . Those are different levels of responsibility. 

Rationalize it however you want John.   The fact remains it's still a free country and you're both free to express your opinion whenever you want.   At least for as long as the brown shirts are held at bay.

End of story regardless of number of followers .... full stop.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
11.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @11    3 years ago

MEMO TO TRUMP - No one gives a shit about what you think.  PS - You still lost.