╌>

Trump Booed At Rally After Quipping That COVID-19 Vaccinations Are 'Good'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  49 comments

By:   Summer Concepcion (TPM)

Trump Booed At Rally After Quipping That COVID-19 Vaccinations Are 'Good'
Former President Trump appeared to get booed by some of his supporters at a "Save America" rally in Alabama on Saturday night as soon as he encouraged the crowd…

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

GettyImages-1234804139-804x496.jpg CULLMAN, USA - AUGUST 21: Donald J. Trump delivers remarks at a major rally hosted by the Alabama Republican Party and in conjunction with the Alabama Republican Party's Summer Meeting to support the MAGA agenda in C...CULLMAN, USA - AUGUST 21

=============================================================================

Former President Trump appeared to get booed by some of his supporters at a "Save America" rally in Alabama on Saturday night as soon as he encouraged the crowd to get vaccinated against COVID-19.

"I believe totally in your freedoms, I do, you've got to do what you've got to do," Trump said. "But I recommend: take the vaccines."

After saying that COVID-19 vaccines are "good," Trump was met with boos from the crowd.

Trump then quipped to the crowd that they have "freedoms," but that he "happened to take the vaccine."

Newsletters Get TPM in your inbox, twice weekly. Subscribe The Franchise Monday evenings What you need to know about voting rights and democracy in America The Weekender Saturday mornings All the best parts of TPM, in Weekend Mode By signing up, you agree to TPM's terms of use and privacy policy Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again. Your subscription has been successful.

When the audible booing tamped down, Trump joked that the crowd would be the "first to know," before reiterating against the vaccines are "working."

In the seven months since he left office, the former president has not launched an official campaign to push Americans to get inoculated against the infectious disease that has killed more than 600,000 Americans thus far, despite allies' efforts to persuade Trump to do so.

The Daily Beast reported earlier this month that Trump has shown little interest toward pushing the public to get vaccinated even when his allies offered several suggestions on how he could potentially vocalize pro-vaccine rhetoric.

The former president's latest remarks echo his scattered approach to encouraging vaccines.

Last March, Trump told Fox News that he would "recommend" people to get vaccinated, but that he respected people's "freedoms" to refuse vaccinations.

Watch Trump's remarks below:

Trump advises his audience in Alabama to take the Covid vaccine pic.twitter.com/aaxQfnnxoh
— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) August 22, 2021

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Well, he wont be saying THAT again , will he? 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

He doesn't give a shit about his supporters unless they give him money, so him now pushing vaccines is disingenuous.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Ender  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1    3 years ago

It just sounds to me like he plans on running in 2024.

He can say he pushed it, without really pushing it.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ender @1.1.1    3 years ago

He’s advocated people take it every time he’s been asked to do so.  I certainly hope he runs again!  

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.3  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.2    3 years ago
I certainly hope he runs again!

he'll be a convict or a maggot buffet by then.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @1.1.3    3 years ago
by Sumarongi +33 / -0
ui91AbwI.jpeg

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @1.1.1    3 years ago

At the rate people in red states are dying from the CV, his voting base may not even be around in 2024.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.6  Dulay  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.2    3 years ago
He’s advocated people take it every time he’s been asked to do so.

Do you consider that a act of leadership Xx? 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.7  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Dulay @1.1.6    3 years ago

He should not have to be asked.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @1.1.3    3 years ago

I'd be happier with the latter but i'll take what I can get

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2  SteevieGee    3 years ago

Anybody actively abetting the virus by spreading misinformation or refusing to vaccinate and mask, especially for purposes of political gain are not only anti-American but anti-human.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1  Tessylo  replied to  SteevieGee @2    3 years ago

"Anybody actively abetting the virus by spreading misinformation or refusing to vaccinate and mask, especially for purposes of political gain are not only anti-American but anti-human."

Just like Abbott and Death Santis.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Mo Brooks booed after telling Trump rally crowd to move past 2020 election

LFHM3KSTWVHYNNDGES5XKKUCEE.jpg

Alabama Congressman and U.S. Senate candidate Mo Brooks urged the crowd at a rally for former President Donald Trump to move past disputing the 2020 presidential election results and “put that behind you,” and “look forward.”

Brooks and Trump have continued to spread unsubstantiated claims of voter fraud in the 2020 election that saw Trump lose to President Joe Biden.

Brooks repeated those claims Saturday in Cullman, but then asked the crowd to focus on future elections rather than contest the prior election.

“There are some people who are despondent about the voter fraud and election theft in 2020,” Brooks said. “Folks, put that behind you, put that behind you.”

Boos began to echo from the crowd. Brooks continued, for a while.

“Yes,” he said. “Look forward, look forward, look forward. Beat them in 2022, beat them in 2024.”

After the crowd continued to object, Brooks began to soften his stance.

“All right, well, look back at it, but go forward and take advantage of it,” he said. “We have got to win in 2022. We’ve got to win in 2024.”

Video of the crowd’s response was captured by journalists at the scene.

Oh boy. Mo Brooks suggested, in seriousness, that those in attendance should accept the results of the 2020 election and move on to the next one

… needless to say it did not go well and he nearly lost the crowd  pic.twitter.com/1htgV3QAgm
— Ryan Phillips (@JournoRyan) August 22, 2021

Later in his remarks, Brooks again brought up the 2020 election, and was drowned out by chants of “fix it now.”

“Let’s do it,” Brooks said. “The Arizona recount is coming. The Arizona audit is on the way.”

Brooks then joined the crowd in chants of “fix it now.”

Brooks later addressed the incident tweeting that, “The 2020 election was fraught with voter fraud & election theft on a massive scale. If only legal votes cast by eligible American citizens were counted, Trump won the election.”

Let me be clear, the 2020 election was fraught with voter fraud & election theft on a massive scale. If only legal votes cast by eligible American citizens were counted, Trump won the election. I support audits of state 2020 election results, & I eagerly await their findings. — Mo Brooks - Endorsed By President Trump (@MoBrooks) August 22, 2021
Crowd now chanting “fix it now” regarding the 2020 presidential election. Folks are fired up. #TrumpRally pic.twitter.com/BDWOGJOlHH — Ryan Phillips (@JournoRyan) August 22, 2021

Brooks was the last warm-up speaker before Trump, speaking after U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville, Alabama Lt. Gov. Will Ainsworth, Alabama Attorney General Steve Marshall, U.S. Rep. Robert Aderholt, My Pillow CEO Mike Lindell and others.

During his remarks, Ainsworth called for Biden’s impeachment, drawing applause from the crowd.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.1  pat wilson  replied to  JohnRussell @3    3 years ago

The Arizona audit is on the way.

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  pat wilson @3.1    3 years ago

All this nonsense is bound to be anti-climactic. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    3 years ago

It's ok, they will be on tucker and hannity...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @3    3 years ago

The MAGATS still don't want to hear anything about the election unless it's "Trump won!"

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @3    3 years ago
Brooks is complicit in 1/6/21.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4  pat wilson    3 years ago

Scenes from the annual Mensa gathering...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  pat wilson @4    3 years ago

Not all, but some of the dumbest people on earth. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.2  Raven Wing  replied to  pat wilson @4    3 years ago

Typical Trump suckers. A good many will wind up with COVID-19 or Delta in a few days, and sadly some will find a new home pushing stink weed. They think because they are Trump supporters they are automatically immune to either of those two death threats. And the big fat one in the top photo is standing apart from his wife so as not to have to share his fattening snack.

Comical yet sad.

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.2.1  bugsy  replied to  Raven Wing @4.2    3 years ago
A good many will wind up with COVID-19 or Delta in a few days, and sadly some will find a new home pushing stink weed

Do you think the thousands of people that went to the New York "homecoming" concert yesterday, many of whom will probably be the cause of a super spreader event, comical, yet sad?

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.2.2  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @4.2.1    3 years ago
New York "homecoming" concert

That's a false equivalency bugsy.

Those who went to the NY concert were required to present proof that they had been vaccinated. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.2.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Raven Wing @4.2    3 years ago

I like seeing those kind of pictures when I am tempted to break my diet.

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.2.4  bugsy  replied to  Dulay @4.2.2    3 years ago

Wrong answer, Dulay.

Those people may be vaccinated, but breakthrough cases are becoming common. Many of those people could me infected, however mildly, give it to someone there, again, mildly, but then those people could take it home to someone not vaccinated, becoming disastrous to that person.

Leftists are hypocritical in their blame game.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.2.5  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @4.2.4    3 years ago
Wrong answer, Dulay.

I didn't post an 'answer' bugsy. I posted a factual statment. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.2.6  bugsy  replied to  Dulay @4.2.5    3 years ago
I posted a factual statment. 

Not really

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.2.7  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @4.2.6    3 years ago

What wasn't factual about my statement bugsy? 

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.2.8  bugsy  replied to  Dulay @4.2.7    3 years ago

Nothing was wrong with what you posted, however, you don't seem to understand that even though you are vaccinated, you can still catch the virus, take it hoe to someone who has not been vaccinated, and be the indirect cause of their death.

Requiring proof of vaccination does nothing to stop the spread.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.2.9  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @4.2.8    3 years ago
Nothing was wrong with what you posted, however, you don't seem to understand that even though you are vaccinated, you can still catch the virus, take it hoe to someone who has not been vaccinated, and be the indirect cause of their death. Requiring proof of vaccination does nothing to stop the spread.

So all you've got is a strawman fallacy. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.10  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @4.2.9    3 years ago

So what else is new?

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.2.11  bugsy  replied to  Dulay @4.2.9    3 years ago
So all you've got is a strawman fallacy. 

Just couldn't help it, could you?

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.2.12  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @4.2.11    3 years ago
Just couldn't help it, could you?

Citing the fact that your comment is a strawman fallacy need not be 'helped' bugsy. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    3 years ago

I don’t understand where resistance to the vaccine came from for these people. It didn’t come from Trump. Trump advocating the vaccine is not something new that happened yesterday for the first time. A year ago, all you heard from him was about “Operation Warp Speed” and how great the vaccines were. Even after he had lost reelection, he was touting the vaccines before he left office.

Remarks by President Trump at the Operation Warp Speed Vaccine Summit

You would think his supporters should have all been first in line to get the shots.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Tacos! @5    3 years ago

There's been a tremendous amount of mixed messaging expressed by Harris, Biden, the CDC, Fauci, Collins,NIH, WHO, et al. Before the 2020 election, Harris and Biden said they wouldn't take "Trump's vaccine", but soon after they "won", they decided that it was "safe" and got vaccinated. 

Left wing media has also published many fake stories about Fox News hosts "never" advocating for the vaccine.

It's no surprise to me that millions of people are skeptical and don't know who to believe.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
5.1.1  pat wilson  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.1    3 years ago

Fake news.

In fact, the clips are selectively edited to take the statements out of context. The parts that are left out make clear that Biden and Harris were raising questions not about the vaccines themselves, but about then-President Donald Trump’s rollout of the vaccines and the risk that the effort would become rushed or politicized.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  pat wilson @5.1.1    3 years ago

Someone on the right tried to peddle fake news?  I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.1.3  Jasper2529  replied to  pat wilson @5.1.1    3 years ago

In comment 5.1 , I did not mention social media videos. I said that before the 2020 election, both Biden and Harris clearly stated that they would not take "Trump's vaccine", which is exactly what your Politifact link proves.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.4  TᵢG  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.1.3    3 years ago

What do these words mean to you?:

"If the public health professionals, if Dr. Fauci, if the doctors tell us that we should take it, I’ll be the first in line to take it. Absolutely. But if Donald Trump tells us that we should take it, I’m not taking it."

pat wilson
Professor Participates
5.1.5  pat wilson  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.1.3    3 years ago
which is exactly what your Politifact link proves.

Not at all, and the Politifact link has no mention of a "Trump's vaccine".

Do you have a link proving otherwise ?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.1.6  Thrawn 31  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.1    3 years ago

Lol, so vaccine hesitancy is now the Democrats fault? Seriously? What mixed messaging had there been? As far as I can tell ALL of them have been saying get vaccinated from day 1. Do you have an example of any of those you listed advising against getting vaccinated?

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Quiet
6  exexpatnowinTX    3 years ago

Considering it's an Alabama rally, it's somewhat understandable.

Tuskegee Syphilis Study

Description

Description

The Tuskegee Study of Untreated Syphilis in the Negro Male was an ethically abusive study conducted between 1932 and 1972 by the United States Public Health Service and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The purpose of this study was to observe the natural history of untreated syphilis. Wikipedia
Start date : 1932
End date : 1972
Even considering that the subjects of this "study" were in fact black, it's still to a point current in the minds of all Alabama residents as it only ended in 1972 and I believe the last subject died in 2004, and the last child of the test subjects died in 2010.  It's still a raw memory for all of Alabama.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1  Jasper2529  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @6    3 years ago

Blacks all over the country are hesitant and lag behind other minorities and whites. There are quite a number of articles about this.

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Quiet
6.1.1  exexpatnowinTX  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.1    3 years ago
Blacks all over the country are hesitant and lag behind other minorities and whites. There are quite a number of articles about this.

Because blacks all over the country know of this CDC debacle.  I'll be quite honest and admit that I had never heard of this until my first late wife told me of it.  She was a black nurse from MS who I met when I awoke from surgery in Walter Reed.   

I don't think many other people were ever told of it as it only ended in 1972 so people like myself in their 70's and I'll say as young as their 30's never learned of this in school.  It's one of those black marks of our history that some gloss over.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1.2  Jasper2529  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @6.1.1    3 years ago

I, too, never learned about the CDC's disgusting Tuskegee Study as a student. 

freepress
Freshman Silent
7  freepress    3 years ago

So now they are "good"?

All the damage has been done and the right wing brainwashing worked the first time with anti-vax messages.

So good luck convincing people already brainwashed to right wing talking points who were willing to drink bleach, eat horse, cow and sheep dewormer, and take a malaria drug not approved to treat Covid, or a bunch of other snake oil cures that were peddled by right wing pundits.

Monoclonal Antibody treatments are not approved either and if a doctor deems the case so severe this treatment may save a life, the issue that regular folks need to understand, this treatment isn't covered by insurance and costs a lot of money the average person doesn't have.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  freepress @7    3 years ago

Americans are fucking retarded. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Thrawn 31 @7.1    3 years ago

The evidence unfortunately seems to support your position.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

Oh, huge shock, when you empower retards eventually the retards turn on you and run the asylum.