╌>

Fox News poll: Most Americans back vaccine and mask mandates.

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  51 comments

By:   Daniel Politi (Slate Magazine)

Fox News poll: Most Americans back vaccine and mask mandates.
Almost three-quarters of registered voters, or 74 percent, say they are "extremely" or "very" concerned about the pandemic.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Daniel PolitiSept 19, 20216:03 PM 38fd71b6-3084-499b-a4cf-6d99fa528362.jpeg?width=780&height=520&rect=6192x4128&offset=0x0 Sgt. Darrin Cushard of the Kentucky National Guard stands near a sign in an elevator denoting mask use in St. Claire Regional Medical Center on September 16, 2021 in Morehead, Kentucky.Jon Cherry/Getty Images

Clear majorities of Americans back mask and COVID-19 vaccination mandates, and the numbers appear to be increasing, according to a new Fox News poll released Sunday. The broad support coincides with rising concern over the pandemic as cases and deaths increase across much of the country. Almost three-quarters of registered voters, or 74 percent, say they are "extremely" or "very" concerned about the pandemic, which marks a five-point increase from August.

Clear majorities of Americans believe masks and vaccines are effective and 67 percent said they support mandating that students and teachers wear masks in schools. A similar number, 66 percent, agree businesses should also require masks of employees and customers. Vaccine mandates aren't quite as popular, but still have clear support from the majority with 61 percent backing requirements that teachers get vaccinated, while 55 percent support vaccine requirements for business employees. A similar number, or 54 percent, support cities and towns requiring proof of vaccination to take part in indoor activities, a four-point increase from last month.

Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement

All these numbers from the poll, which is made up by interviews with 1,002 registered voters between Sept. 12-15, amount to good news for President Joe Biden. Fifty-six percent agree with Biden's order from earlier this month that calls on companies with more than 100 employees to require vaccination or weekly testing of employees.

Despite the clear support from the majority, there are evident splits between parties. More than nine in ten Democrats say masks are effective, while 51 percent of Republicans disagree. The increased support for masks comes as only 23 percent of voters say the COVID-19 pandemic is under control in the United States, a sharp drop from 46 percent who felt that way in May.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

America is giving the anti vaxers and anti-maskers the middle finger. 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

I would like to know how anyone could remain anti-mask or anti-vax after seeing the number of like-minded individuals who have recently dropped dead from Covid.  

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1    3 years ago

It is constantly under reported,  like that other infamous antivaxxer who just died of Covid,

that woman Lynn Wood wanted to force the hospital to administer ivermecton to,

the deaths cert states, natural causes with pneumonia as the contributing factor, as if COVID were nonexistent.

smh

I had 2 relatives die at home  in red states in the last year while suffering from documented COVID

and both were declared "natural causes".

Insistence on postmortem testing was  rejected because the tests were only for the living and too valuable to waste on the deceased.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1    3 years ago

As I say, never underestimate the stupidity of the American people.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  Jack_TX  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.1    3 years ago
It is constantly under reported

It's not under-reported. 

People just suck at math and are stupidly stubborn.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.4  Split Personality  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.3    3 years ago

If coroners report a death as natural causes the CDC doesn't count the death as attributable to COVID.

That is at the very least, unscientific if not deceitful.

Excess mortality using raw death counts

Besides visualizing excess mortality as a percentage difference, we can also look at the raw death count as shown here in this chart. The raw death count helps give us a sense of scale: for example, the US suffered roughly 360,000 more deaths than the five-year average between 26 January and 3 October 2020, compared to 209,000 confirmed COVID-19 deaths during that period.

That's a potential under reporting of 42%.

Note of the two  cases I had to deal with as executor, one was NC and the other was AZ.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.2    3 years ago

I hope you mean the anti vaxer/maskers and not us Americans who are taking this pandemic seriously.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.6  Gordy327  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.5    3 years ago

Absolutely. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.7  Jack_TX  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.4    3 years ago

Ah.  I thought you were talking about the news media 'reporting'.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.8  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.3    3 years ago
... stupidly stubborn ...

Spot on.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.10  TᵢG  replied to  dennis smith @1.1.9    3 years ago

Well at least you recognize that Biden is the legitimate PotUS.  

Too bad that you cannot see why Trump should never again hold a position of political power (any power, really).

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.11  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.6    3 years ago

jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.13  TᵢG  replied to  dennis smith @1.1.12    3 years ago

Good for you.  But I stated that in my comment.  Did you not notice?

Too bad many of your fellow conservatives seem to not be in touch with reality.

But you want Trump to be reelected, right?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.14  Tessylo  replied to  dennis smith @1.1.9    3 years ago

Stupidly stubborn would be those who would vote for whatshisname, AGAIN.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.16  TᵢG  replied to  dennis smith @1.1.15    3 years ago
Also too bad many of your fellow progressives seem not to be in touch with reality either.

I am not a progressive.   But I cannot think of a better example of someone being out of touch with reality than to repeatedly claim that Trump is the legitimate PotUS.

I do not want Trump or Biden to be elected/reelected

Good to know.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.18  TᵢG  replied to  dennis smith @1.1.17    3 years ago

You wrote this:

dennis@1.1.12 ☞ I have not recognized anyone except Biden as being the legitimate POTUS.

This implicitly states that you do not blindly support Trumpism and, as I noted, good for you.    Here is my full reply:

TiG@1.1.13 ☞ Good for you.  But I stated that in my comment.  Did you not notice?  Too bad many of your fellow conservatives seem to not be in touch with reality.  But you want Trump to be reelected, right?

I asked if you want Trump reelected to see how far you depart from Trumpism.   There are those who are rational enough to understand that Trump has been lying about election fraud and thus reject the notion that he is the legitimate PotUS.  You are one of them.   But of those, some are not dissuaded by Trump's behavior (and his worldwide public display of abysmal character since losing) and still want him to be reelected.

I asked if you wanted Trump reelected to see how far away you are from Trumpism.

dennis@1.1.15 I do not want Trump or Biden to be elected/reelected

Good for you.   I thus now do not consider you to be operating on Trumpism.   That is, you do not seem to be of the mindset of other members who believe Trump is the legitimate PotUS (did not lose) and want him to be reelected.   Your comments are similar to those members but, given what you have offered, that is simply coincidence.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.20  TᵢG  replied to  dennis smith @1.1.19    3 years ago

I just explained this to you in super simple terms with quotes: 

dennis@ 1.1.12 ☞ I have not recognized anyone except Biden as being the legitimate POTUS.

This implies that you do not recognize Trump as the legitimate PotUS.  In the last election there were two candidates:  Biden and Trump.   There is no ' anyone ' other than Trump.

Buy a vowel.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.22  TᵢG  replied to  dennis smith @1.1.21    3 years ago
There were 3rd party candidates. 

You might be the first adult  I know of who does not understand that, in effect, there are only two major parties that win the presidency.    In fact, every PotUS since 1854 (that is almost 170 years) has been a D or an R.  

So, yeah, Dennis, when speaking of nominees for PotUS, there really are only two choices in practice (unfortunately).   In 2020 that was Biden and Trump.   There were no other viable nominees.

gibberish

My language is quite clear and coherent.  If it reads like gibberish to you then the problem is you.

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.2  squiggy  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

Actually, stupid is winning because as long as they lie, (and infect others) they cause everybody to have to wear a mask - as though the remote probability of breakthrough is even relevant.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.3  Gordy327  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

They deserve it too! 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     3 years ago

I was reading an article today about how many of the insurance companies are not covering all the costs and have gone back to the deductible and co-pays. 

Whether this will get any of the anti-vaxxers to get the vaccine I have no idea but if they end up in the hospital the costs are going to be very high for them.

It doesn't help when you have a governor that has a ''no mask mandate'' including for schools kids under 12. Mind boggling stupid.

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
2.1  TOM PA  replied to  Kavika @2    3 years ago

I've often wondered how many have been kept from bankruptcy thanks to the PP-ACA (obamacare). 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Kavika   replied to  TOM PA @2.1    3 years ago
I've often wondered how many have been kept from bankruptcy thanks to the PP-ACA (obamacare). 

I would imagine quite a few. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Kavika @2    3 years ago
Whether this will get any of the anti-vaxxers to get the vaccine

I would think the mere fact that about 98% of those hospitalized with Covid are unvaccinated would be enough to get them to realize the vaccine works.  

But then again, these are the same fools who, when the announcement was made that those with the vaccine do not have to wear a mask, suddenly were "vaccinated" and removed their masks.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.2    3 years ago

Yet when the Delta variant started to spread like wildfire - who stubbornly refuses to mask despite it being the best advice - along with social distancing?  See 4 below.

Fighting mask mandates for children in school?  

Fighting masks for anyone in public enclosed places?

Again, see 4 below.

Their willful deceptions or whatever you want to call it - ignorance - or my new found word - agnorance (arrogance combined with ignorance)  those folks who know better and are encouraging the ignorant fools to fight masks and vaccines is/are responsible for lots of deaths.  

Including those who refuse to get vaccinated and refuse to mask where appropriate.  

goose is back
Sophomore Guide
2.3  goose is back  replied to  Kavika @2    3 years ago
I was reading an article today about how many of the insurance companies are not covering all the costs

Under what basis? Insurance companies get paid to provide coverage, if the procedure is prescribed by the doctor, is in network  and is not experimental they should pay or face potential breach of contract.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.3.1  Kavika   replied to  goose is back @2.3    3 years ago

Insurance companies were covering all costs (100%) many have now revered to the original contract that would include a deductible and a 80/20 split on costs. 

Completely legal and I explained that in the original comment.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.3.2  Snuffy  replied to  Kavika @2.3.1    3 years ago

Actually the federal government was covering all costs under the CARES act, insurance companies were just managing the paperwork and insuring medical providers were being paid on a timely basis.  Now that the CARES act is ending the insurance companies are returning to the standard policies.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.3.3  Kavika   replied to  Snuffy @2.3.2    3 years ago

Yes, the feds were covering it under the cares act and the hospitals/doctors/etc were handling the paperwork. It's over and the cost for everyone is going to go up as the actual original contract takes over 100%.

A few weeks ago Delta Airlines announced that they would be adding a $200 monthly surcharge to all employees that are not vaccinated to help defray their cost. They are self-insured, I have not seen anywhere where this is being challenged.

goose is back
Sophomore Guide
2.3.4  goose is back  replied to  Kavika @2.3.1    3 years ago
insurance companies are not covering all the costs

So your post was misleading, the companies are covering exactly what they are contracted to cover nothing more or less, stop trying to make something out of nothing. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.3.5  Snuffy  replied to  Kavika @2.3.3    3 years ago
Yes, the feds were covering it under the cares act and the hospitals/doctors/etc were handling the paperwork. It's over and the cost for everyone is going to go up as the actual original contract takes over 100%. A few weeks ago Delta Airlines announced that they would be adding a $200 monthly surcharge to all employees that are not vaccinated to help defray their cost. They are self-insured, I have not seen anywhere where this is being challenged.

It seems like  you don't understand the difference between health care and insurance coverage.  

Under the CARES act, the federal government agreed to pay the Medicare rates for all COVID issues to health providers. The insurance companies were middle-men in all of this as they already had the networks set up to handle the paperwork, insuring medical providers were paid in a timely manner and billing back to the federal government for the money paid out to the medical providers. The Medicare rates are set by the federal government and have nothing to do with insurance companies and any contracts they may have. Also insurance companies are limited by law on the revenue they can take for the Medicare / Medicaid coverage, most insurance companies due to this limit will only make around 1% in profit for the work.

Now that the CARES act is ending, coverage for COVID issues will revert back to normal insurance.  

A few weeks ago Delta Airlines announced that they would be adding a $200 monthly surcharge to all employees that are not vaccinated to help defray their cost.

Let me further explain what this really is.  For this example, let's talk about a single person working for Delta.  Delta will reach out to insurance companies to get bids for their medical coverage. Such bids are prepared by the insurance companies based on many factors, all to both provide the best cost vs coverage for the company (in this case Delta Airlines) and also to insure profit for the insurance company. It's gambling because the contracts usually run for a year and any overages in medical billing will eat into the insurance company profit. Also please remember that Obamacare mandated legally that insurance companies cannot make more than 15% profit from employer based contracts, anything over that must be returned to the employer. 

So for our example, let's say the contract to provide medical insurance for a single person will cost the employer $500 a month.  So the employer will provide the coverage and the employee will have to kick in a portion of that each month as a payroll deduction, perhaps 10%.  So the employee is having $25 a paycheck deducted for his medical insurance,  total cost for that insurance is still $500 a month for the employee with the employer picking up the $450 monthly cost. 

Delta, in an attempt to get all employees vaccinated, has decided that it will add $200 a month to the employee deductions unless said employee is vaccinated and proves it. So the cost for the employee insurance for the month is still $500 but now the employee rather than having $50 a month deducted for this coverage is having $250 a month deducted. 

They are self-insured, I have not seen anywhere where this is being challenged.

This doesn't change the process for the insurance company in making a bid to Delta to provide the insurance coverage, but it might reduce the overall costs. But it does change how the billing is handled on the backend. Being self-insured means the contract spells out what the cost of each procedure is, and the insurance company will bill the employer based on usage insuring the insurance company gets it's profit what is paid for each procedure.  Any left-over money at the end of the contract period remains with the employer (if there is any remaining money in the pot). Where a company is not self-insured the entire monthly premium goes to the insurance company and at the end of the contract any unspent money (so long as it remains below the mandated 15% level that is) remains with the insurance company as their profit. 

Employers have for a long time set up their employee premiums as a percentage of the total monthly cost of the premium. If the employer wants to try to promote some sort of healthy living options they have usually offered them as financial incentives to meet goals.   ie, in the case of this covid vaccination mandate by Delta normally it's where they set the employee premium deductions at $250 a month and offer a $200 a month discount for proof of vaccination.  This is the first time I've seen it used in this fashion. I expect it to be challenged in court but would not care to hazard a guess on where the ruling will go.

Hope this better explains 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  Tessylo    3 years ago

There are still some folks here on NT who do no support masks.  How stupid.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1  Gordy327  replied to  Tessylo @3    3 years ago

It's as stupid as calling masks "face diapers," am I right?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1    3 years ago

That's exactly what I'm talking about!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.2  TᵢG  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1    3 years ago

Yeah well I am getting used to the idea that some people find a way to be wrong about almost everything.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.2    3 years ago

And they also seem to be either proud of it, or blissfully unaware. 

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
3.1.4  TOM PA  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1.3    3 years ago

...blissfully unaware...  I remember seeing photos of mask wearing in cities like Beijing and Hong Kong because of polution.  Southeast Asia and west Africa due to dust storms.  Maybe what these people need is something visible to be convinced that something in the air will harm them.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.5  Gordy327  replied to  TOM PA @3.1.4    3 years ago
I remember seeing photos of mask wearing in cities like Beijing and Hong Kong because of polution.  Southeast Asia and west Africa due to dust storms. 

Even during the bird (or was it swine?) flu outbreak there some years ago, people wore masks. It's practically a cultural expectation now whenever there is an outbreak or pollution. And I doubt there are many over there who complain about masks or make a big deal about it, unlike here.

Maybe what these people need is something visible to be convinced that something in the air will harm them.  

If the numbers indicated and people on ventilators or dying in hospitals does not convince them, nothing will. Some prefer to stick to stubborn ignorance.

freepress
Freshman Silent
4  freepress    3 years ago

The paradox of Fox "news", they require all their employees to be vaccinated, they track it, the hosts are all vaccinated, and they lie, lie, lie and lie again every single day 24/7 about the virus, masks, vaccines and spin fake cures to their viewers.

They are directly responsible for how many of their viewers die from following all those lies. All while blaming the "libs" or a Democrat..

No one has made it political besides Fox and devout brainwashed Republicans. 

The CDC is used like slur, without anyone actually saying the words out loud, Center for Disease Control. DISEASE, who wants a disease? No one in their right mind.

If Covid caused facial scarring like any of the measles or pox diseases everyone in America would be vaccinated.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1  Greg Jones  replied to  freepress @4    3 years ago

Thanks to Biden's open borders, measles could be making a comeback..

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1    3 years ago

A:    Everyone here should be immunized unless they had religious exemptions, in which case, it's karma.

B:    Measles haven't been eradicated in the USA, there were 1,200 cases in 31 communities in 2019, only 13 cases in 2020.

C:    It's the Afghans who already have reported  or been discovered with measles in several of the refugee camps in other nations.

D:   For whatever reason, worldwide there has been a 10 million case surge in measles, like COVID it attacks the unvaccinated.

Your criticism of Biden and open borders falls flat.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Split Personality @4.1.1    3 years ago
A.  Everyone here should be immunized unless they had religious exemptions, in which case, it's karma.

Everybody HERE should be immunized.  That doesn't mean everybody from other places are immunized.

B:    Measles haven't been eradicated in the USA, there were 1,200 cases in 31 communities in 2019, only 13 cases in 2020.

It has been eradicated in the US.  Other countries, not so much.  With thousands crossing the border on a daily basis, those are going to be the reason for it's resurgence in the US.

C:    It's the Afghans who already have reported  or been discovered with measles in several of the refugee camps in other nations.

It's also been reported....IN AFGHANISTAN.  

D:   For whatever reason, worldwide there has been a 10 million case surge in measles, like COVID it attacks the unvaccinated.

For once you are correct.  

Your criticism of Biden and open borders falls flat.

The only way it falls flat is if you don't apply common sense.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.2    3 years ago

If you aren't going to acknowledge what I wrote and are just going to be intentionally contrary,

please just don't bother responding.

TYFYS

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Split Personality @4.1.3    3 years ago

You apparently didn't actually read my response.  Go back to 4.1.2 and you'll see I responded point by point.  

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5  mocowgirl    3 years ago

Covid 19 is here to stay according to the "experts" that are televised or cited in the press.  According to the experts, there is no scenario where it is possible to eradicate covid viruses.  Other mammals and even our own pets can contract covid 19.  Are we going to have to vaccinate all of them or exterminate them if we can't vaccinate them to control the spread?

Some individuals have resigned themselves to this and some have not.  Thankfully, it is not the Black Plague.  Societies will adapt as been done throughout history.   The "normal" that we have known before Covid 19 is never ever going to be the "normal" for anyone who must alter their lifestyle to protect their own mental and/or physical well-being.  

Fauci said Covid was here to stay in July of 2020.

White House coronavirus advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci said Wednesday it is unlikely the coronavirus will ever be eradicated

The article below was in March of 2021.

COVID-19 is never going to end, experts say (msn.com)

But researchers say there's simply no track record of infectious diseases being completely eradicated, and everything about COVID-19 shows that it will be no different.

"The more infectious a microbe is, the harder it is to control," Dr. Tom Frieden, the CEO of Resolve To Save Lives and a former CDC director, tells CBS News. "COVID is very challenging to control, and the new variants suggest that we may end up playing kind of a game of cat and mouse."

Prior to COVID, people were already used to living with endemic diseases. The flu is one example. Measles is another. Both continue to spread and kill people every year despite decades of vaccination and containment. 

The novel coronavirus, meanwhile, is highly contagious while also causing many asymptomatic infections. You can't look at someone and know whether they have the virus. COVID-19 has also proved to  spread to animals  as well as humans, with infections confirmed in tigers, gorillas, apes,  minks , cats and dogs.

Scientists say all of this makes the virus essentially impossible to control.

"It's pretty unrealistic to think that we can eliminate a virus from both the human population and from its natural reservoirs," Dr. Anita McElroy of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine tells CBS News.

But doctors say that just because COVID is here to stay doesn't mean it will disrupt our lives as much as it has in the past year. Vaccination and containment measures will eventually get the pandemic under control, potentially turning COVID into another disease we simply learn to live with.

Schaffner points out that the flu remains a   serious threat   — infecting millions of Americans and killing tens of thousands every year — and yet it has become so familiar that many people don't even bother getting vaccinated for it every year.

"Could it be down the road that we become so familiar with COVID that we develop a certain nonchalance about it also?" he says. "Yes. We tend to do that in the United States."

Schaffner says it would be best to give up the idea of going "back to normal," and instead settle in for the "new normal" where COVID continues shaping our lives. 

COVID vaccinations could become an annual ritual for millions. Masks might remain commonplace for the elderly and people with underlying conditions. Your family celebrations might be shaped by who's vaccinated, while more vulnerable people only join by Zoom.

"The third, fourth and fifth years of COVID should not be anywhere close to as awful as the first one was," he says. But in this new normal, "many of us will no longer be quite as carefree as we used to be."