╌>

Robert E. Lee Statue Removed By Dallas Now on Display at Golf Resort: ‘If You Know Your History…It’s Fabulous’

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  10 comments

Robert E. Lee Statue Removed By Dallas Now on Display at Golf Resort: ‘If You Know Your History…It’s Fabulous’
Beasley went on to call critics “uneducated” and called Lee’s history “fabulous,” citing a debunked claim that Lee opposed slavery and freed the slaves he inherited. “They were uneducated,” Beasley told the Chronicle. “[They] didn’t know the true history and the story.[We] have not had any verbal comments at all and it wouldn’t matter. If you know your history about Robert E. Lee and everything about him, it’s fabulous.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

www.mediaite.com   /news/robert-e-lee-statue-removed-by-dallas-now-on-display-at-golf-resort-if-you-know-your-history-its-fabulous/

By Katherine HugginsOct 17th, 2021, 9:56 pm 2-2 minutes   10/17/2021

Robert-Lee-Statue-2-Lajitas-Golf-Resort.jpg

A statue of Confederate Gen.   Robert E. Lee   that was taken down from a park by the city of Dallas in 2017 following the violent Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville is now on display at a golf resort in Terlingua, Texas.

According to a report from the   Houston Chronicle the Lajitas Golf Resort received the statue as a donation in 2019. It had initially stayed in storage but was purchased by Holmes Firm PC in 2019, according to Dallas City Council records.

The 27,000-acre golf resort is owned by Dallas billionaire Kelcy Warren and managed by   Scott Beasley , who told the  Chronicle  that they showcase the statue only to preserve “a fabulous piece of art.”

“I would say that of the 60-plus-thousand guests we host each year, we’ve had one or two negative comments” he said.

Beasley went on to call critics “uneducated” and called Lee’s history “fabulous,” citing a   debunked claim   that Lee opposed slavery and freed the slaves he inherited.

“They were uneducated,” Beasley told the   Chronicle . “[They] didn’t know the true history and the story.[We] have not had any verbal comments at all and it wouldn’t matter. If you know your history about Robert E. Lee and everything about him, it’s fabulous.”

In its story about the removed statue resurfacing at the resort,  ABC News  noted that Terlingua — a city with less than 100 residents — has no record of any Black residents, per recent census data.

Have a tip we should know?   tips@mediaite.com

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

I wonder how many bad golfers have plunked Lee in the noggin so far. 

-

The ignorance of the wealthy Texas golf course owner doesnt speak well for wealthy Texans.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

I think you mean the manager, rather than the owner.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    3 years ago

You are right, the man quoted in the story is the manager. I think its safe to say the owner feels the same though, otherwise the statue probably wouldnt be there. 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago
I wonder how many bad golfers have plunked Lee in the noggin so far. 

I don't care how early in the morning it is, that's just hilarious.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.2    3 years ago

It looks like there is a hole that runs parallel to the statue. If I was playing that course I'd hit him without even aiming. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    3 years ago

From the shape of it (you can see it on both sides of the statue) I would guess it's a putting practice green, and besides, no golf course would place an obstacle like that next to a hole on its course.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.2    3 years ago

Robert-Lee-Statue-2-Lajitas-Golf-Resort.jpg

I'm not sure what that light green area is. Its too long to be a practice green and appears too narrow to be a fairway. 

As far as obstacles being on a golf course, I was golfing with some friends one time on a course where there were houses lining one side of the fairway the length of the hole. One of my friends hit a bad slice and the ball, on the fly,  hit the sliding patio doors of a house. A woman came running out of the house in a bathrobe with her hair up in curlers, and yelled at us "DONT YOU PEOPLE KNOW HOW TO PLAY GOLF?"   It was hilarious.  On one of the other holes on that course unless you hit a straight tee shot there was a chance you would hit the ball into someone's kitchen. I had to deliberately aim more to the right than usual just to make sure my ball wouldnt end up in someones cereal. (I am not making this up)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.3    3 years ago

I don't think that is the same as purposely and recently placing a big obstacle like that immediately next to a hole.

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
2  Wheel    3 years ago

Well. That's as big a "No Black Members" as a it could be.

And Lee didn't inherit any slaves, his wife inherited from her brother.  His will said the slaves were to be manumitted on his death. Lee refused to free them until he was literally ordered to by the court.

When Lee invaded the North he enslaved all black people he captured, whether they had ever been slaves before and not and immediately sent them South.

Lee was a racist, traitorous piece of shit.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Wheel @2    3 years ago
That's as big a "No Black Members" as a it could be.

You're probably right. They are advertising they are a white friendly golf course. ( although I'm sure this is not the only one).