╌>

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell dies from Covid complications

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  3 years ago  •  36 comments

By:   Rebecca Shabad

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell dies from Covid complications
Former Secretary of State Colin Powell died Monday after suffering from complications from Covid-19 despite being fully vaccinated, his family said.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

WASHINGTON — Colin Powell, the retired four-star general who became the country's first Black secretary of state and its first chairman of the Joints Chiefs of Staff, died Monday due to complications from Covid-19, his family said in a statement on Facebook.

Powell, 84, was fully vaccinated from Covid-19, his family said, and had been treated at Walter Reed National Medical Center.

1634559547767_tdy_news_8a_colin_powell_death_211018_1920x1080-ed1xvq.jpg

Colin Powell dies of complications from COVID-19

"We have lost a remarkable and loving husband, father, grandfather and a great American," the family said.

Powell had multiple myeloma, a cancer of a type of white blood cell. It's unclear what complications he experienced from Covid-19 or when he tested positive for the disease. The family also did not say when he was vaccinated or if he had received a booster shot.

Powell became the first Black secretary of state under President George W. Bush. As the nation's chief diplomat, Powell delivered a well-known speech to the United Nations Security Council in February 2003 laying out the White House argument for invading Iraq and stating that there was intelligence that the country had weapons of mass destruction. U.S. troops launched an invasion the following month. The evidence he presented about Iraq having biological weapons was later proven to be incorrect. Powell left the administration shortly after Bush's re-election in 2004.

Bush said in a statement Monday that he and former first lady Laura Bush were "deeply saddened" by Powell's death.

"He was a great public servant, starting with his time as a soldier during Vietnam," Bush said. "Many presidents relied on General Powell's counsel and experience. He was such a favorite of presidents that he earned the Presidential Medal of Freedom — twice. He was highly respected at home and abroad. And most important, Colin was a family man and a friend."

Bush added that he and his wife sent Powell's widow, Alma, and their three children "our sincere condolences as they remember the life of a great man."

Secretary of State Colin Powell holds up a vial he said could contain anthrax as he presents evidence of Iraq's alleged weapons programs to the United Nations Security Council on Feb. 5, 2003.Elise Amendola / AP file

After rising through the military ranks, Powell became a four-star general and then chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under President George H.W. Bush. He had served as U.S. national security adviser and deputy national security adviser for President Ronald Reagan in the 1980s. Powell served twice in Vietnam — during the first tour, he was wounded in action and on the second tour, he received the Soldier's Medal for rescuing several men from a burning helicopter.

In a statement Monday, former Vice President Dick Cheney called himself "fortunate" to work with Powell, and said during both wars with Iraq he saw Powell's "dedication to the United States and his commitment to the brave and selfless men and women who serve our country in uniform."

"Colin was a trailblazer and role model for so many," Cheney said, adding, "His legacy and unparalleled record of service will never be forgotten."

1634559786445_tdy_news_8a_kellyo_powell_life_211018_1920x1080-fs0gv2.jpg

Looking back at Colin Powell's life and career

Robert Gates, who became Bush's defense secretary after Powell left the administration, said Monday that with Powell's passing, "America has lost a great patriot and public servant."

"A friend for nearly 40 years, Colin's whole life was about duty, honor and country. He is gone far too soon," Gates said.

Current Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin praised Powell's life of national service and counsel in brief remarks to reporters Monday morning.

"The world lost one of the greatest leaders that we have ever witnessed," Austin said. "Alma lost a great husband, and the family lost a tremendous father, and I lost a tremendous personal friend and mentor. He has been my mentor for a number of years. He always made time for me and I could always go to him with tough issues. He always had great counsel. We will certainly miss him. I feel as if I have a hole in my heart just learning of this."

Colin Powell in the Rose Garden at the White House in 1989.Cynthia Johnson / Getty Images file

Despite serving Republican presidents, Powell said days after the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol that he could no longer call himself a Republican.

"I'm not a fellow of anything right now," he said in an interview on CNN. "I'm just a citizen who has voted Republican, voted Democrat throughout my entire career. And right now I'm just watching my country and not concerned with parties."

Powell broke with his party on several occasions in recent years, including when he endorsed Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., for president in 2008 over then-Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz. Powell endorsed Obama again in 2012 over the GOP's nominee that year, Mitt Romney, and later became a vocal critic of President Donald Trump.

In 2016, it was revealed in leaked emails that Powell called the then-GOP presidential candidate a "national disgrace." In June 2020, Powell and other retired military leaders blasted Trump for threatening to use military force against protesters. Powell said in an interview on CNN that Trump had turned away from the Constitution and that he was a habitual liar.

f_full_dnc_powell_200818_1920x1080.jpg

Watch Colin Powell's full speech at the 2020 DNC

"We have a Constitution. We have to follow that Constitution. And the president's drifted away from it," said Powell, who made clear that, like in 2016, he would not vote for Trump for president and instead planned to vote for Joe Biden.

Powell was born in 1937 in Harlem, New York, to immigrants from Jamaica and grew up in the South Bronx, going on to get a bachelor's degree from the City College of New York.

He is survived by his wife, Alma Powell, 83, and their three children.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1  MrFrost    3 years ago

Don't we already have a posted article about this?

Just askin'. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1  Split Personality  replied to  MrFrost @1    3 years ago

I think he deserves 5 or 6.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @1.1    3 years ago

men like CP are an extreme rarity in upper reaches of our government, and that is a price we all must pay.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Split Personality @1.1    3 years ago

I wasn't complaining, just asking.. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  Split Personality @1.1    3 years ago

At a minimum.

Veronica
Professor Guide
1.2  Veronica  replied to  MrFrost @1    3 years ago

I'd rather see 10 about Colin Powell than more "Fuck Biden" seeds.  I would rather celebrate a good man's life.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.2.1  MrFrost  replied to  Veronica @1.2    3 years ago

No complaints here! 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2  Split Personality    3 years ago

jrSmiley_124_smiley_image.gif

May you receive the highest honors while crossing into Valhalla.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @2    3 years ago

my uncle and colin powell served together in the army. in the early 60's when directed by the army, they traveled in a car from ft. leonard wood to ft. benning. my uncle had to collect all their meals to go on the trip because they couldn't find a restaurant or diner along the way that would serve black people, then they had to spend the night in the army sedan. colin powell sent my uncle a copy of his 1st book with a heartfelt personal inscription. I have it now, after pulling it out of a box destined for the trash. seems as though my uncle took it pretty hard when colin came out in public against trump. my uncle is retired army. 3 tours in vietnam, 2 battlefield commissions, 2 purple hearts, and a silver star. it pains me greatly that he turned into a bible thumping teabag trumpster, but war can fuck anyone up in the head and he's still my uncle. he's the guy that would insist on no politics at the holiday table, but inject some anyway when he said grace. after the group amen, I would then add an ultra graphic death wish for his republican hero du jour. I guess some family traditions might seem strange to others.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @2.1    3 years ago

What a lovely tribute to Colin Powell, and to your uncle.  I knew you weren't just another GOP/thumper-spanking pretty face.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @2.1    3 years ago

Remember Fort Benning and the racism in the area. Two friends and me were refused entry to the USO in Augusta, GA. Still had black and white drinking fountains and all the other shit.

RIP General Powell, a life well lived.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  devangelical @2.1    3 years ago

Did your uncle know that his draft dodging idol considered him a sucker and a loser for having been in the military?

charger 383
Professor Silent
3  charger 383    3 years ago

I liked him

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    3 years ago

I had read that what it was, was complications from covid because he was immune depressed and fighting cancer.

RIP

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1  devangelical  replied to  Ender @4    3 years ago

I have it on pretty good authority that some of his illnesses were agent orange related.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @4    3 years ago

I believe he suffered from multiple melanoma.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.2    3 years ago

Multiple myeloma.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.1    3 years ago

Damned spell check lol.  He also had Parkinson's.

squiggy
Junior Silent
5  squiggy    3 years ago

[removed]

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    3 years ago

One of our great public servants. An honorable man.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
7  al Jizzerror    3 years ago

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

He was born of two Jamaican immigrants and grew up in Harlem. He influenced 3 Republican administrations.

How shall he be remembered?

Hallux
Masters Principal
8.1  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @8    3 years ago

Is your question rhetorical?

devangelical
Professor Principal
8.2  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @8    3 years ago
How shall he be remembered?

as a leader with integrity, that spoke truth to power regardless of the consequences, and died an independent.

JBB
Professor Principal
8.3  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @8    3 years ago

As an Ex-republican who put country before party!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  Vic Eldred @8    3 years ago

How about as a truly American story?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.4.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.4    3 years ago

Then why don't you write it if you think you can do such a good job

Hallux
Masters Principal
8.4.2  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.4    3 years ago

[removed]

Hallux
Masters Principal
8.4.3  Hallux  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.4.1    3 years ago

If Vic does, I hope he/she does not leave out the part both Colin and I have in common ... we both worked as a Shabbos goy.

Hallux
Masters Principal
8.4.4  Hallux  replied to  Hallux @8.4.2    3 years ago

Taunting [charger 383] 

Actually you missed my taunting comment. Nice try though.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
8.5  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Vic Eldred @8    3 years ago
He was born of two Jamaican immigrants and grew up in Harlem.

What's your point?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.5.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @8.5    3 years ago
What's your point?

Mine was simply that anyone can rise to the highest levels.

Btw we know what your point was jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
Professor Principal
8.5.2  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.5.1    3 years ago

we know what your point was too...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.5.3  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @8.5.2    3 years ago

"we know what your point was too..."

Ya!  We sure do!  jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.5.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @8.5.3    3 years ago

And where it is.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9  Trout Giggles    3 years ago

I just wanted to say something about the photo of General Powell in the seed. Look at that steely gaze. It says...Don't fuck with America...in a quiet dignified voice...that makes you tremble in your boots