╌>

'It's scary!' Fox News hosts react in terror after 'American way' is removed from Superman's motto

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  53 comments

By:   David Edwards (Raw Story - Celebrating Years of Independent Journalism)

'It's scary!' Fox News hosts react in terror after 'American way' is removed from Superman's motto
The hosts of Fox & Friends melted down on Sunday after DC Comics removed "the American way" from Superman's motto. During a segment on the Fox News morning show, host Peter Hegseth reported that the motto has been changed from "truth, justice, and the American Way " to "truth, justice and a bett...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

will-cain-rachel-campos-duffy-and-pete-hegseth.jpg?id=27691243&width=800&height=450 Fox News/screen grab

The hosts of Fox & Friends melted down on Sunday after DC Comics removed "the American way" from Superman's motto.

During a segment on the Fox News morning show, host Peter Hegseth reported that the motto has been changed from "truth, justice, and the American Way " to "truth, justice and a better tomorrow."

"What does that mean?" Hegseth remarked. "We don't know."

"If you have an ounce of creativity, you can create a comic book company that buries DC," co-host Will Cain growled. "You can create any type of company out there that actually reflects the views of the American people because increasingly these corporations have left behind the vast majority of their own consumers."

Co-host Rachel Campos-Duffy said that the new motto made her "pessimistic" about the future of the United States.

"I love your positivity and, honestly, I want to believe it," Campos-Duffy opined. "But I just wonder -- I think these corporations are smart and I think they are investing in the future."

The co-host then linked Superman's motto to "the indoctrination of our children."

"I believe that our generation on up still does believe in the American way," she continued, "that's the goodness of America. I think these corporations are looking at, you know, the future, which are our children and they know that so many of them don't love -- aren't being taught to love America. If you're not being taught to love America at a young age, it's really hard to love America later."

"And you know, Superman was so emblematic of who we were," the co-host said. "And we all kind of grew up with him and this idea of what America was and it's changing before our eyes."

Campos-Duffy added: "I worry about America. I hate to be pessimistic because I've always been an optimist! But it's scary!"

Hegseth went on to note that "Superman already renounced his citizenship at the U.N."

"Did that really happen?" Campos-Duffy wondered.

"One-hundred percent," Hegseth replied.

"He's a global citizen," Campos-Duffy complained.

Cain suggested that parents around the country who opposed critical race theory would also prevent Superman's motto from changing.

"They're not letting tomorrow be ceded to the likes of DC Comics," he insisted.

Watch the video below from Fox News.

SmartNewsMediaVideo

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

George Soros must be behind this. jrSmiley_30_smiley_image.gif

evilone
Professor Guide
2  evilone    3 years ago

I didn't know that Fox and Friends were such avid comic book readers.

Will Cain growled. "You can create any type of company out there that actually reflects the views of the American people because increasingly these corporations have left behind the vast majority of their own consumers."

DC is an international for profit company. They will go where their market is every time.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  evilone @2    3 years ago

Of course. When the motto was created there was no international market for comic book heroes.  Now the market is as large outside the US as it is inside. If you are a Superman fan in Thailand or Morocco what do you care about the "American " way ? 

Superman comes from Krypton, not NYC. 

Remember when liberals were the "snowflakes" ?  It seems like a million years ago. Now it's Fox News hosts every day. 

Veronica
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Veronica  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    3 years ago
Superman comes from Krypton, not NYC. 

Does that make him an illegal?  He did take a job away from an American reporter.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Veronica @2.1.1    3 years ago

OMG!!!! Fox News missed that!

Veronica
Professor Guide
2.1.3  Veronica  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.2    3 years ago

jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Veronica @2.1.3    3 years ago

You know what else they missed? Superman is also bisexual. I'll come back with a link

Veronica
Professor Guide
2.1.5  Veronica  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.4    3 years ago

Oh no.... I bet they will recant their worries about him & the "American Way".  LOL

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.6  Gordy327  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    3 years ago

Superman originally did not even have a motto. The "American way" motto originated in radio serials of the 1940s. Supes also had several mottos over the years.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    3 years ago

Maybe "The American Way" is no longer something that is so great to be bragging about.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Veronica @2.1.1    3 years ago
"He did take a job away from an American reporter."

But he did support his widowed American stepmother with half his salary.  And he gave a career-boosting exclusive interview to a fellow reporter, including a demonstration of flying.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    3 years ago

As a big Superman fan, I saw this news the other day and sighed because I knew somebody would freak out about it.

It’s a non-story. This “motto” is not a regular part of the Superman comics and never really has been. Superman has fought for many things over the years. I honestly can’t remember when I saw “the American Way” mentioned in the comics. The stories are never about that. “The American Way” appears rarely in radio, TV, and movies. To the extent that he has a motto at all, it is referenced infrequently and there have been multiple variations. It’s just not that important.

Having said all that, I think the idea that DC would make an official announcement about it is dumb, but it’s probably calculated to get people talking so they can sell comic books and movie tickets.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1  Gordy327  replied to  Tacos! @3    3 years ago

The American way motto was used for years in the comics, since the 1950's (as an anti-communism message). But it wasn't until Christopher Reeve said the line in the first Superman movie that it was really cemented in popular culture.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1    3 years ago

And it will stay there regardless what dc comics wants.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.1    3 years ago

Unless you are a writer or editor for DC, you have no say on the matter and no one cares anyway!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @3    3 years ago

More like cancel movie tickets of those of us offended by the removal of “the American way”.  We simply will no longer support the franchise.  The elites need to know that there is a financial cost to offending middle America.  

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.3.1  Split Personality  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.3    3 years ago
The elites need to know that there is a financial cost to offending middle America.

What fucking tree are you barking up now?

Marvel is a division of Marvel entertainment owned since 1998 by Disney International.

It is Disney's call

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.3.2  Gordy327  replied to  Split Personality @3.3.1    3 years ago

Actually, Superman is part of DC, which itself is owned by Warner Bros.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.3.3  Split Personality  replied to  Gordy327 @3.3.2    3 years ago

Damn, aren't they headquartered in the elitist's capital of Burbank CA?

Superman belongs to the world, not the partisans of middle America. jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.3.4  Gordy327  replied to  Split Personality @3.3.3    3 years ago

You mean not to the "bi-coastal elites?" jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

Hallux
Masters Principal
4  Hallux    3 years ago

Meh, FOX also freaked out with the first Wonder Woman movie because she wasn't wearing something skimpy in red,white and blue.

Veronica
Professor Guide
4.1  Veronica  replied to  Hallux @4    3 years ago

But come on Lynda Carter was a kick ass WW...

wonder-woman-lynda-carter-splash.jpg

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  Veronica @4.1    3 years ago

Lynda Carter is the definitive WW just as Christopher Reeve was Superman. She is going to be in the next WW movie. And she still looks great at 70.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.1    3 years ago

I agree about Reeve. But imo Gal Gadot has it over Lynda Carter.  The first WW movie with Gadot was great.  The second one not as good. 

Veronica
Professor Guide
4.1.3  Veronica  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.1    3 years ago

She is a very beautiful woman.  I heard she was going to be in the movie.  I think it is cool.  I gotta admit when I was tween I had a girl crush on her.

Veronica
Professor Guide
4.1.4  Veronica  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.2    3 years ago

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.  Gal has more special effects ot help her out.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.5  Gordy327  replied to  Veronica @4.1.3    3 years ago

Understandable. She was hot. I had a crush on her too. 

Veronica
Professor Guide
4.1.6  Veronica  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.5    3 years ago

Then I wanted to look like her.  ~sigh~ not now, not then - 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.7  Gordy327  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.2    3 years ago

Gal is good and makes a good WW. She was badass in the 1st movie & in JL. The 2nd movie was a disappointment. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1.8  Split Personality  replied to  Veronica @4.1    3 years ago

I think the stars on the blue pants were to make her butt look smaller....

Veronica
Professor Guide
4.1.9  Veronica  replied to  Split Personality @4.1.8    3 years ago

All the comic books show her with stars upon thars....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Veronica @4.1    3 years ago

Lynda Carter was the best until Gal Gadot took over.  Although I find it difficult to agree that those who replace the originals e.g. Sean Connery as Bond and Alec Baldwin as Dr. Ryan, and IMO nobody could replace Christopher Reeve, I do think Gal Gadot has given Lynda Carter a run for the money.  Harrison Ford has said, and it is surely likely, that NOBODY can be another Indiana Jones. 

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
5  al Jizzerror    3 years ago

Superman is actually "Kal-El", an illegal alien from Krypton. 

Martha and Jonathan Kent named him "Clark Kent" when they adopted him.

Trump tried to deport Superman back to his shit-hole planet, Krypton, butt he couldn't locate it.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.1  Gordy327  replied to  al Jizzerror @5    3 years ago

"Kal-El?" That sure sounds like a Mexican name to me. The "El" is a dead giveaway. jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
5.1.1  TOM PA  replied to  Gordy327 @5.1    3 years ago

I read somewhere that the creators of Superman, being Jewish, gave him the name Kal El because in Hebrew it meant Gods gift (?).  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  TOM PA @5.1.1    3 years ago

Interesting piece of trivia.

Veronica
Professor Guide
5.2  Veronica  replied to  al Jizzerror @5    3 years ago
an illegal alien

I knew it and he stole 'Merican jobs....

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  Veronica @5.2    3 years ago

He did grow up on a farm...........

Veronica
Professor Guide
5.2.2  Veronica  replied to  Split Personality @5.2.1    3 years ago

Were the sheep safe?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.2.3  bbl-1  replied to  Veronica @5.2.2    3 years ago

Yes.  They kept them away from Tucker.

Veronica
Professor Guide
5.2.4  Veronica  replied to  bbl-1 @5.2.3    3 years ago

jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
6  TOM PA    3 years ago

Years ago one of the first crossover DC/ Marvel comics had Superman and Spiderman team up against Lex Luthor and Doc Oc.  In it Superman was described as upholding, "Truth, Justice and The Terran Way."  I don't remember anyone complaining about that.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1  Gordy327  replied to  TOM PA @6    3 years ago

I remember the Marvel vs DC crossover with Superman fighting the Hulk. If I remember correctly,  there was Spider-Man vs Superboy. Thor fought Wonder Woman.

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
6.1.1  TOM PA  replied to  Gordy327 @6.1    3 years ago

Believe it or not this story was done in a large magazine format well over 30 years ago.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  TOM PA @6.1.1    3 years ago

I know. That's what I was thinking of. As I recall, Marvel won the vs battle against DC. Then the Amalgam Comics started. I think one Amalgam comic featured Batclaw, the Amalgam of Wolverine and Batman.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
8  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

A corporation goes the anti American route to kick up controversy and generate favorable attention from it's left wing audience and distract from working hand in glove with brutal dictatorships.    Disney has been doing this for 20 years?  Its a win -win.  Gullible American left-wingers eat it up and China will show it domestically. 

Pay no attention to the slave labor camps in the market it's pandering to, feel good about sticking it to America!