╌>

Trump Statement Defending Jefferson’s Legacy Flubs Key Detail, Calls Him ‘Principal Writer’ of the Constitution

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  33 comments

Trump Statement Defending Jefferson’s Legacy Flubs Key Detail, Calls Him ‘Principal Writer’ of the Constitution
“The late, great Thomas Jefferson, one of our most important Founding Fathers, and a principal writer of the Constitution of the United States, is being ‘evicted’ from the magnificent New York City Council Chamber.” There’s just one problem with that sentence: Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

www.mediaite.com   /trump/trump-statement-defending-jeffersons-legacy-flubs-key-detail-calls-him-principal-writer-of-the-constitution/

By Josh FeldmanOct 19th, 2021, 5:23 pm 2-2 minutes   10/19/2021

Donald-Trump-via-Joshua-Roberts_Getty-Images.jpg

Former President   Donald Trump   put out a statement Tuesday defending   Thomas Jefferson’s   legacy that contained a pretty notable error about his legacy.

New York City officials   voted Monday   to officially remove the Jefferson Statue from the City Council chamber, spurred on by Black and Latino Council members who raised the issue because the founding father was a slaveholder.

Trump   decried   the move and said, “Well, it’s finally happened.”

“The late, great Thomas Jefferson, one of our most important Founding Fathers, and a principal writer of the Constitution of the United States, is being ‘evicted’ from the magnificent New York City Council Chamber.”

There’s just one problem with that sentence: Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution.

Jefferson   was in France   as the Constitutional Convention met. This is   not the first time   a political figure has made this particular error.

The former president flubbing his declaration came on the heels of his earlier statement reacting to   Colin Powell’s   death   by attacking him and calling him a RINO .

Have a tip we should know?   tips@mediaite.com

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Trump is a functional idiot when it comes to the history of the United States. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

Actually James Madison is generally considered the father of The US Constitution.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1    3 years ago

... and Thomas Jefferson did not even sign the CotUS (given he was in Paris at the time).

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.1    3 years ago

Agreed.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1.2    3 years ago

Same goes for John Adams.  Influential but overseas and declined to sign.

The Majority of the credit goes to Madison & Hamilton ...

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

Not just history, but geography and mathematics also.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    3 years ago

What a stupid, stupid man.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3  bbl-1    3 years ago

Stormy who?  Not much more to it.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4  TᵢG    3 years ago

Does not surprise me.   An individual who makes up his own reality is not going to spend much time trying to be factually correct.

This does not bother me.   Attacking Colin Powell upon his death, however, bothers me.   Trump, yet again, illustrates his abysmal character — a genuine asshole.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @4    3 years ago

XX waxes ecstatic over the founding fathers 3 or 4 times a week.  I wonder if he cares that his other hero , Donald J Trump , knows nothing about the founding fathers. (Believe me, his ignorance about Jefferson is just the tip of the iceberg). 

As far as Powell goes, Colin Powell had the nerve to openly oppose Trump. Trump has been waiting for the opportunity to attack Powell , and what better time than the day the man dies? 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    3 years ago
I wonder if he cares that his other hero , Donald J Trump , knows nothing about the founding fathers.

My guess is that he does not care.   After all, if one does not care that Trump tried to steal the election with a campaign of blatant lies and abuse of his influence as PotUS why would one care that Trump's understanding of history is at a C high-school level?

Trump has been waiting for the opportunity to attack Powell , and what better time than the day the man dies? 

Not sure Trump knows how to NOT be an asshole.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @4.1.1    3 years ago
Trump's understanding of history is at a C high-school level

That is way optimistic

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @4.1.1    3 years ago
why would one care that Trump's understanding of history is at a C high-school level?

You're being rather generous. My history teacher might have let pass with a D

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
4.2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  TᵢG @4    3 years ago
Attacking Colin Powell upon his death, however, bothers me.   Trump, yet again, illustrates his abysmal character — a genuine asshole.

'Abysmal character' is officially my favorite Trump definitive!  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  TᵢG @4    3 years ago

He did it to McCain also which lost him AZ.  A draft dodging coward has no right to degrade either of them.  When Trump dies what goes around, comes around and it will becoming with the force of a run away locomotive.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5  Split Personality    3 years ago

This article is a good read on the subject of the original bronze statue of Thomas Jefferson and it's strange benefactor Uriah Levy

a storied (multiple courts marshall ) USNaval officer with modest investment successes outside the service.  He also bought Monticello

when it was in bankruptcy for $2,500 in 1836.

Levy commissioned the statue in 1833 and took delivery in 1834 and thereafter spent his life and thereafter his brother's life

trying to get Congress to accept this gift to the nation. 

Throughout the statues history, it spent time in the Rotunda, the north lawn of the WH, the west lawn of the WH, back to the Rotunda,

Statuary hall and other resting places.

Not once in this article will anyone suggest "why" Congress could never agree to accept the statue or where to put it.

Could it have been the slavery issue, Sally Hemmings and her 6 Jefferson children, or both?

Uriah Levy's Gift to the Nation - White House Historical Association (whitehousehistory.org)

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6  Split Personality    3 years ago

Note there is no replica statue of Thomas Jefferson in the room.

It has always been between the two bright windows.

There is also very little information about when the replica was acquired or donated to the City.

Butt it wasn't always there.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @6    3 years ago

What else is wrong with the picture should be obvious, lol.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  Split Personality @6.1    3 years ago

I keep expecting to spot Waldo in there, Lol

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @6.1    3 years ago

All old white guys?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Split Personality @6.1    3 years ago

The woman in the balcony (right, 3-4 row, 8 seat in wearing a white outfit with what appears to be Mickey Mouse ears?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.4  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.2    3 years ago

Except a few onlookers in the balcony, lol.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.5  Split Personality  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.3    3 years ago

Probably those giant pink bows.

Aren't Mickey's ears always black.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Split Personality @6.1.5    3 years ago

I knew my comment was lame but had to take a shot.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.7  Split Personality  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.6    3 years ago

Your eyes are still good, none the less.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    3 years ago

This doesn’t surprise. I have actually always felt that he really doesn’t know or understand much about our history, government, or law.

Veronica
Professor Guide
8  Veronica    3 years ago

Oh what's the big deal???? He just misspoke..... You are all just ready to jump on him for anything.  Besides the Constitution and the DOI are the same thing - both based on the Bible.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Veronica @8    3 years ago
Oh what's the big deal????

That depends on whether or not you think a POTUS being a moron is a big deal.  Obviously some dont. 

Veronica
Professor Guide
8.1.1  Veronica  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1    3 years ago

I am wondering if they are afraid of admitting they bought the shit this Crap seller sold them.  Maybe embarrassed to admit he fleeced them.  So they continue supporting him - you know the Emperor has no clothes scenario.

BTW - you did know I was kidding in my first comment, right?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Veronica @8.1.1    3 years ago
you did know I was kidding in my first comment, right?

yes

Veronica
Professor Guide
8.1.3  Veronica  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1.2    3 years ago

OK, just checking - sometimes things don't come off right.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Veronica @8.1.3    3 years ago

jrSmiley_124_smiley_image.gif

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
8.1.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1    3 years ago
hat depends on whether or not you think a POTUS being a moron is a big deal.  Obviously some dont. 

Hence, Hidin' Joe Biden.