╌>

Virginia Police Officer Fired After Donating to Rittenhouse's Defense Fund

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  monstermash  •  3 years ago  •  10 comments

Virginia Police Officer Fired After Donating to Rittenhouse's Defense Fund

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Lieutenant William Kelly wants his job back after the Norfolk Police Department fired him following a $25 anonymous donation made to Kyle Rittenhouse’s legal defense fund in April 2021.

Rittenhouse’s two-week trial for the shooting of three men during the 2020 Kenosha riots concluded on Friday with a not guilty jury verdict.

Kelly, a 42-year-old, 19-year police veteran and father of three, was ten months away from his pension vesting when the Norfolk Police Department fired him. Kelly told the  DailyMail:

Everything I’m saying is just my personal opinion. I’ve been a homicide detective, a violent crimes investigator for years. I have a background. I watched the video of the shooting. I’d seen the video of the journalists of Mr. Rittenhouse before the shooting and the protesters before the shooting and I thought it painted a pretty clear picture that Mr. Rittenhouse had a very strong claim for self-defense.

Kelly noticed that GoFundMe canceled the fundraiser for Rittenhouse’s defense but saw a new page set up for his legal defense on the Give Send Go platform.

Kelly sent his donation anonymously with a note that read, “God Bless. Thank you for your courage. Keep your head up. You’ve done nothing wrong. Every rank-and-file police officer supports you.”

“I didn’t want my city or police department to be associated with it, so I chose to donate anonymously,” Kelly said.

Unfortunately, hackers obtained Kelly’s name and email address, then gave it to  The Guardian , who ran a  story  on police officers and public officials who donated to Rittenhouse’s fund.

The backlash from this article led the Norfolk Police Department to fire him, citing an  erosion  of the public’s trust in the police.

“It wasn’t people local, it was people from all around the country who read an article and sent a nasty tweet. In the absence of that outcry, there would not have been any kind of disciplinary action against me, I’m confident,” said Kelly.

“This is America. You can agree with your neighbors and other people in your community and you can disagree with them. Just because someone has a different opinion than you, it doesn’t mean you should destroy their lives, take their job away,” he continued.

Furthermore, Kelly was punished for his donation despite black Norfolk police chief Larry Boone keeping his job after attending a Black Lives Matter protest fully uniformed and on duty last May.

Kelly pointed out Norfolk Police Department’s inconsistency in handling these two situations.

“Yet I cannot, off-duty, on my own time make a donation and some comments that are well within the realm of public, acceptable discourse?” he questioned.

“If I had a different opinion and I donated to a fund for the victims and made comments about how Mr. Rittenhouse was a murderer, nobody would have cared or tried to get me fired,” Kelly said.

Although Rittenhouse was found not guilty by a jury of 12 of his peers, Kelly does not think public opinion will change:

I don’t think the discourse will change. People are dug in on their heels. They’ll point to some other boogie-man as an excuse as to why he was acquitted. They won’t be forced to look at the facts of the case. I don’t think they’ll change their mind.

Kelly would like to resolve the issue privately before his scheduled hearing date at the end of January.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
1  seeder  MonsterMash    3 years ago

The Northfolk,VA black Chief of Police donates money to BLM and goes to a rally for BLM in full uniform without suffering any disciplinary action. A white officer makes a $25 anonymous to the Rittenhouse legal defense fund and gets fired....Pitiful 

Gazoo
Junior Silent
1.1  Gazoo  replied to  MonsterMash @1    3 years ago

Yeah, what a bunch of bs that is. I see a lawsuit over this.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
1.2  arkpdx  replied to  MonsterMash @1    3 years ago

I have an idea. Fire the current chief and promote Lt. Kelly to the job of chief. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
1.2.1  charger 383  replied to  arkpdx @1.2    3 years ago

That would be real justice

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2  Greg Jones    3 years ago

Good grounds for wrongful termination.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Greg Jones @2    3 years ago

It’s in the works.  He was interviewed on Fox News a couple of weeks ago and was in the process of doing just that.  

squiggy
Junior Silent
3  squiggy    3 years ago

“Kelly would like to resolve the issue privately before his scheduled hearing date at the end of January”

A settlement will be worth more than that job.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  Texan1211  replied to  squiggy @3    3 years ago
A settlement will be worth more than that job.

But perhaps not as much as his pension would have paid out.

I sure hope some sanity is displayed at least in his hearing.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4  Ronin2    3 years ago

The ever tolerant and just left rears their ugly head again.

He shouldn't want his job back, he should want justice in the form of as much money as he get from the city and police department. Considering what supposed victims on the left are getting 35 million shouldn't be too much to ask for.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
5  Nowhere Man    3 years ago

Just more evidence of how politically biased the government has become... If the mayor of Kenosha had done his job, those three people wouldn't be dead or at the least Kyle wouldn't have needed to defend himself...

It is plainly clear that we cannot trust government anymore, and you have better get to know your local officers, and find out which ones you can trust and which ones you can't...

There is a disconnect happening between the government and the people they are supposed to be serving.... It seems the government has chosen to abandon what they consider the despicable people... Basically anyone that doesn't toe the party line....

You know the ones that refused to vote for a female crooked politician... (just in case you wanted to know where it originated at)