╌>

Biden nominates new chair for Postal Service Board, ousts DeJoy's allies

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  3 years ago  •  14 comments

By:   BRIAN NAYLOR

Biden nominates new chair for Postal Service Board, ousts DeJoy's allies
President Biden announced Friday the nomination of two new members to the Postal Service Board of Governors, including a new chairman, which could spell the end of Louis DeJoy's controversial tenure as postmaster general.

Franklin can stop rolling in his grave.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Biden announced Friday the nomination of two new members to the Postal Service Board of Governors, including a new chairman, which could spell the end of Louis DeJoy's controversial tenure as postmaster general.

Biden nominated Daniel Tangherlini, a Democrat, to replace board Chair Ron Bloom, whose term is expiring. Bloom is also a Democrat, but has been a key ally of DeJoy's.

Biden also nominated Derek Kan, a Republican, to replace Republican John Barger, whose term is also expiring.

Tangherlini was administrator of the General Services Administration during the Obama administration, and Kan served as deputy director of the Office of Management and Budget and as an undersecretary at the Department of Transportation in the Trump administration.

DeJoy was a major donor to the Trump campaign as well as other GOP groups. He angered Democrats by proposing sharp reductions in mail service before the 2020 election, in which voting by mail became a necessity for many because of the coronavirus pandemic. DeJoy's proposals were reversed under pressure from lawmakers and after a number of court orders.

He has more recently been criticized for his 10-year plan to reorganize the Postal Service, which has led to a slowdown in some mail deliveries as well as higher rates for first class mail and packages.

White House press secretary Jen Psaki said the administration "continues to be deeply troubled" by reports of DeJoy's conflicts of interest and has "serious issues with the job he's doing running the Postal Service."

DeJoy's critics lauded the administration's unexpected moves.

Porter McConnell of the Save the Post Office Campaign said: "President Biden has listened to the millions of people across the nation demanding a return to the quiet competence of the post office before Louis DeJoy and his friend Ron Bloom took a wrecking ball to it. Ron Bloom has no place in the USPS's future, and we are glad to see his tenure in the past."

Rep. Gerald Connolly, D-Va., who chairs the Oversight subcommittee that oversees the Post Office said that he was "tickled pink that two DeJoy enablers have been replaced," calling it a "great thing for the American people."

It's up to the Board of Governors to name the postmaster general. If Biden's new nominees are approved, the board will maintain its current composition of four Democrats, four Republicans and an independent. But by replacing Bloom, Biden may have tilted the balance on the board in favor of a new postmaster general.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    3 years ago

I just found out that the bulbs I ordered are taking so long because the post office couldn't deliver so it had to be changed to Fed Ex. 

Lowering efficiency is not the way to go. 

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1  evilone  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    3 years ago

I paid to have aquatic plants shipped overnight. It took 4 days. I got them last night, put them in right away and this morning they look like swiss cheese. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  evilone @1.1    3 years ago

Really sorry to hear that and I feel ya pain. I have to hope for a couple of warm days to plant these bulbs and pray that they come up in the spring. It took 2 weeks for them to come from Indiana to NY. That's nuts.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    3 years ago

He's one of those that thinks all government can be privatized. Some of yes, but not the postal service.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2    3 years ago

Franklin, who started the post office (and was the first Post Master General), understood that a national postal service was a necessity for a nation on so many levels. Privatized means profit and a national postal service should be able to carry its own expenses. I know that when I ship a box out via UPS or Fed Ex, I pay on average 25-35% more than the Post office, and never mind 1-2 day delivery, which is insane with those guys. 

Removing machines to slow things down is just being destructive. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.3  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    3 years ago

I use mail order prescriptions and it was always 3/5 days for delivery. Currently the last few times it was anywhere from 10/14 days. 

People in rural areas would be hurt the worse if they ''privatize the USPS''. USPS delivers out in the country for a reasonable charge, just wait till you have to use UPS or Fedex for those deliveries. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
2  charger 383    3 years ago

We were far better off when the Post Office was a cabinet level government agency and the mail was carried and sorted on passenger trains

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  charger 383 @2    3 years ago

That was a long time ago, but it did work!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  charger 383 @2    3 years ago

Heck, even the Pony Express was faster than the current mail service!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3  Raven Wing    3 years ago

It's about time NoJoy DeJoy was dumped. He has done nothing but screw up the Postal Service mail delivery. I have the USPS Informed Delivery that is supposed to tell you when you have mail arriving. I have been missing mail it showed was supposed to have been delivered on the 19th, 20th and yesterday. None of it has showed up yet. 

I have contacted the local PO to find out why it says I was supposed to get mail on these days and yet nothing yet. They said they will check on it and get back to me. This happened earlier this year as well, no mail for over a week. No one got back to me.

They like to blame it on the delivery person, but, not the same person delivers the mail here all the time. So that is not likely the problem.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Raven Wing @3    3 years ago

You really can't blame it on the poor guy. This is coming from up on top and it really needs to be fixed. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1    3 years ago

No, I don't blame the carriers. They can only deliver what they have been given at the PO. There is 1 regular carrier that has been delivering mail in this complex where I live for the last 3 years, and if she had any mail for me she would have been sure it was delivered to the right address. I also am sure that the person in charge of the PO will do their best to pass the buck for any mistakes. 

It is time for all Trump related people to either shape up or be shipped out, and DeJoy has had plenty of time to shape up and has refused to do so, even making things worse. So it is time for him to go.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

Why did it take so long?  (maybe because it was in the mail)

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5  Gsquared    3 years ago

It's way past time to remove that joyless jerk before he causes any more destruction to our postal service.