╌>

Make up with Trump or be a failure, Republican colleague warns McConnell

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  2 years ago  •  61 comments

By:   Lindsey Graham (the Guardian)

Make up with Trump or be a failure, Republican colleague warns McConnell
Lindsey Graham tells Senate majority leader he won't vote for someone 'that can't have a working relationship with Trump'

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Lindsey Graham tells Senate majority leader he won't vote for someone 'that can't have a working relationship with Trump'

6000.jpg?width=465&quality=45&auto=format&fit=max&dpr=2&s=f386317ab451602c5cc3df6c91f0de0c

Mitch McConnell has been attacked by a key Trump ally and told to repair his relationship with the former US president or face failure as Senate Republican leader.

Republican House leader Kevin McCarthy refuses to cooperate with January 6 panel Read more

The move by Lindsey Graham comes amid a rumbling dispute between McConnell and Donald Trump, whose grip on the party remains near-total despite his impeachment for inciting the deadly Capitol attack in service of his lie that his defeat by Joe Biden was caused by electoral fraud.

In the most recent round of the contest, McConnell sided with Mike Rounds, a South Dakota senator who said Biden won the election.

"If you want to be a Republican leader in the House or the Senate, you have to have a working relationship with Donald Trump," Lindsey Graham, of South Carolina, told Fox News on Wednesday night.

Acquitted in his second impeachment trial, Trump remains free to run for office.

"He's the most consequential Republican since Ronald Reagan," Graham said. "It is his nomination if he wants it, and I think he'll get re-elected in 2024.

"I like Senator McConnell, he worked well with President Trump to get a bunch of judges including three supreme court justices on the bench, they got the tax cuts passed working together.

"But here's the question: can Senator McConnell effectively work with the leader the Republican party, Donald Trump?

"I'm not gonna vote for anybody that can't have a working relationship with President Trump, to be a team to come up with an America First agenda, to show the difference between us and liberal Democrats, to prosecute the case for Trump policies … because if you can't do that, you will fail. I will tell you that."

Graham's comment duly prompted criticism, one columnist calling it "a spineless cop-out".

It is after all a year since Graham apparently broke with Trump - a man he once said would "destroy" the Republican party.

After the Capitol attack, like many senior Republicans Graham seemed ready to abandon his idol.

"I'm out," he said.

But he was soon back in, telling Axios: "Donald Trump was my friend before the riot. I'm trying to keep a relationship with him after the riot. I still consider him a friend. What happened was a dark day in American history. And we're going to move forward."

He also called Trump "sort of a cross between Jesse Helms, Ronald Reagan and PT Barnum. I mean, just bigger than life."

Helms, a North Carolina senator, was a segregationist and "unabashed racist". PT Barnum was a politician, controversialist and circus impresario.

McConnell and Trump have been at odds for some time. Their latest spat began after Rounds said Trump lost in 2020. Asking if Rounds was "crazy or just stupid", Trump said: "I will never endorse this jerk again."

McConnell joined Mitt Romney of Utah and others in defending Rounds, McConnell telling CNN: "I think Senator Rounds told the truth about what happened in the 2020 election. And I agree with him."

John Thune of South Dakota - a contender to replace McConnell should it come to a vote - welcomed Rounds to "the club" of Republicans abused by Trump.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    2 years ago

I guess Lindsay Graham doesnt think Trump is irrelevant. 

BTW Morning Joe had a graphic this morning of a new Quinnipiac poll that shows 69% of Republicans want Trump to run for president in 2024. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

They probably also want him to lose so that they can break out their guns and start shooting their lefty neighbors.  The country is a sick mess.  Putin couldn’t have dreamed that his army of online trolls could ever have had such a fruitful downstream impact.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1.1    2 years ago
"He's the most consequential Republican since Ronald Reagan," Graham said. "It is his nomination if he wants it, and I think he'll get re-elected in 2024.

On Jan 6 2021, after Trump incited the riot, Graham said he was "done" with Trump. That lasted a day or two. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.1.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    2 years ago

Remember the political ad where Lindsay destroyed his cell phone?  I actually got a laugh out of that.  It didn’t last long either.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    2 years ago
Graham said he was "done" with Trump. That lasted a day or two. 

"(Donald Trump) is a race-baiting, xenophobic, religious bigot. He doesn’t represent my party. He doesn’t represents the values that the men and women who wear the uniform are fighting for." - Lindsey Graham

After Trump grabbed Lindsey's deplorable base of voters by the pussy...

"No, I don't think he's a xenophobic, race-baiting, religious bigot..." - Lindsey Graham

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    2 years ago

He saw the error of his way…

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  bbl-1  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.4    2 years ago

Wouldn't worry so much about 'Lusty Lindsey'.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago
BTW Morning Joe had a graphic this morning of a new Quinnipiac poll that shows 69% of Republicans want Trump to run for president in 2024.

Aren't most of those awaiting trial for their participation in the insurrection at the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

Graham is right.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.3.1  bbl-1  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.3    2 years ago

Right about lust or right about Lindsey?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

That is why it is important to bust Trump with the 14th amendment.  That way he can never hold any office again.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

69 make sense as they are always blowing each other to begin with.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    2 years ago

Hate to be a nit picky pain in the ass, but McConnell isn't the Senate Majority Leader.

Other than that....I want McConnell to be a failure. I want him to lose his next election

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    2 years ago

In 2026…

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    2 years ago
.I want McConnell to be a failure. I want him to lose his next election

As long as his Chinese wife has the support of her very influential Chinese family behind her, he will never lose. And he knows it. They are the reason for his ability to always win his election, even though most people in his state can't stand him. His election winning likely won't change as long he has the backing of his Chinese in-laws.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.2.1  bbl-1  replied to  Raven Wing @2.2    2 years ago

Anybody ever follow that Russian oligarch money that went into Kentucky for an alleged aluminum smelting plant?  What ever happened with that?

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  bbl-1 @2.2.1    2 years ago

I have no idea, bb-1, but, if I took a guess, it likely made its way into buying the election for McConnell. He has already sold his soul to the Devil for 40 pieces of silver long ago, why not Russia, China and any other country wanting to buy a piece of him for their own use. 

One day in the not too distant future it will all come back to haunt him in the most embarrassing way.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.2.3  bbl-1  replied to  Raven Wing @2.2.2    2 years ago

Yeah except Martha Stewart went to prison for 'trading' $40,000 of her own money.  Why do GOPERS always skate?

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Ender  replied to  bbl-1 @2.2.3    2 years ago

Always.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3  TᵢG    2 years ago
"If you want to be a Republican leader in the House or the Senate, you have to have a working relationship with Donald Trump," Lindsey Graham, of South Carolina, told Fox News on Wednesday night.

No you don't Lindsey.   Don't be such a fool.  It is people like you who enable Trump to even entertain running for office.  It is people like you who have taken the GOP off course into the Trump-induced lunacy they are wallowing within.

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1  evilone  replied to  TᵢG @3    2 years ago

Graham is the poster boy for "fair wind" politicians. 

Professor Guide
3.1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  evilone @3.1    2 years ago
Graham is the poster boy for "fair wind" politicians. 

You are right about that.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  bbl-1  replied to  evilone @3.1    2 years ago

Or "break wind" politicians.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  bbl-1 @3.1.2    2 years ago

That pretty much describes “my butts been wiped” Biden.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @3    2 years ago

[deleted]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @3    2 years ago

Lindsey is absolutely right about everything he said.  Whether Trump runs again or endorses another like minded person, one can not and should not succeed or have any position of power in the GOP.  The days of the old Establishment having the power and mocking the base are over.  Like it or not we live Trump and everything policy wise that he stands for.  Trumpism is not going away.  We want what Trump stands for and we believe in him.  I can’t wait to watch his rally tomorrow evening!  Trump has a following that literally loves him and will not be silenced.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.1  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.3    2 years ago

Trump has already damaged the GOP and the extent of the damage will worsen as long as the GOP stupidly continues to support him.

The GOP is supporting an individual who has so little regard for anyone else that he, while, PotUS engaged in two-month Big Lie con job where he repeatedly and blatantly lied to the American people about the election, told his supporters that their votes were disenfranchised, triggered 61+ frivolous lawsuits, attempted to coerces state legislators and government officials to cheat and attempted to suborn his own VP to engage in an unconstitutional act.

Too many in the GOP support this pathological lying malignant narcissist as their leader and potential presidential candidate.   And in so doing, they empower him while tarnishing the reputation of the GOP.

Such mass stupidity boggles the mind.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.3.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.1    2 years ago

Disagreeing with you as to the value and worth of a particular candidate for President in 2024 is not mass stupidity.  Blind hatred of him is that as well as being afflicted by severe TDS.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.3  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.3.2    2 years ago

Don't make this about me.   I stated well-known facts.   Deal with the facts (if you can).

It is clearly stupid to hold as leader of a party someone who, as PotUS, for the first time in our history, abused the authority of his office against the country in a futile attempt to steal an election.   How utterly stupid of the GOP to tarnish itself by continuing to follow such an abysmal character.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.3.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.3    2 years ago

You defining him a certain way doesn’t make it so. You stated your personal opinion and pretend it to be fact.  It is not.  If Trump runs and wins the nomination it will not be because of the GOP leadership, it will be because of the base of the party, the neighbors down the street from your home and mine.  Part of what makes Trump so attractive to the base is the irrational vitriolic hatred of him by those who do oppose him.  The more the Trump opposition attacks and denigrates him, the more his supporters love him because they dislike his detractors as fellow citizens even more than they like him.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.5  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.3.4    2 years ago
You defining him a certain way doesn’t make it so.

I stated facts.   It is amazing that some find a way to not see what is right in front of their eyes.

You stated your personal opinion and pretend it to be fact.

Bullshit.   Everything I stated was a demonstrable fact.  The evidence is overwhelming.   Open your eyes.

The more the Trump opposition attacks and denigrates him, the more his supporters love him ...

Well that is a moronic way to draw conclusions.   One does not decide to do something simply to stay in opposition with those with whom they disagree.   A rational mind would make decisions based on facts ... not emotion and certainly not 'do the opposite of you' kind of Pee Wee Herman thinking.

Of course what can one expect from those who still buy Trump's bullshit that he really won but the election was stolen from him.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  TᵢG @3    2 years ago

Some of them could not even win a poker hand while using a marked deck.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4  Greg Jones    2 years ago

If Trump decides to run again he would demolish Biden. Hillary or Michelle Obama might fare better.

I think it will end up being DeSantis

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1  Snuffy  replied to  Greg Jones @4    2 years ago
I think it will end up being DeSantis

I hope you're right.  

Professor Guide
4.1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Snuffy @4.1    2 years ago
I hope you're right.

Gee, what a surprise.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.2  Snuffy  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.1.1    2 years ago

What is a surprise about my comment?  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.2    2 years ago

She prefers Trump!  

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.4  Snuffy  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.3    2 years ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.5  Snuffy  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.2    2 years ago

Still no reply to my question.  Guess it was just a drive-by sniping.  It seems a shame however that she has me pegged in her black & white world as a Trump supporter. Doesn't seem to realize there are shades of grey in the real world.  Hell, I said months back that I didn't want Trump to run again, that I felt he could best serve the Republican party as being a sr member and chief fundraiser...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.6  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.5    2 years ago

Why should Trump serve the Republican Party as anything?  Why havent they run him out of town on a rail? 

This person cannot be rehabilitated, it is absurd.  Comments like yours (I felt he could best serve the Republican party as being a sr member and chief fundraiser...) are why people think you are a right winger. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.7  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.6    2 years ago

I am a right winger, I'm also a progressive, a conservative, a liberal and a libertarian.  I don't pigeonhole myself into just one political party because I don't vote for one political party.  But there's a difference between being right-wing and being a Trump supporter...  If you don't want to see it or accept it that's on you. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.8  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.7    2 years ago

You suggested there is still a place for Trump in American politics. That is a problem. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.9  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.8    2 years ago

I don't control any political party any more than you do. Your wants and desires hold about as much power in those political parties as mine do, which is nothing. 

You have hated (yes, I know you're gonna come back to state you don't hate him.  But five years of  your comments doesn't provide me with any basis to believe that) and bitched about Trump for five years now. IMO you have locked  yourself in that corner and just refuse to admit there could be anything redeemable.  I don't want him to run for office again,  I'm actually happy he can't Tweet these days...  but he has a knack for fund-raising so let him do what he's good at.  Would he be happy with just doing that?  Probably not. But again I have no control over what he does and if we're gonna be honest what he does has little impact on our lives.   If he wants to get involved in politics, he's gonna do it. If he can't do it in the Republican party do you really think he wouldn't still go out holding rally's and making speeches?  

The only problem I see is that I refuse to jump on your train and you don't like that. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.10  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.9    2 years ago

Donald Trump tried to steal the 2020 election.  You fail to completely denounce him. That is your problem and shortcoming, not mine. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.11  TᵢG  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.9    2 years ago
I don't want him to run for office again,  I'm actually happy he can't Tweet these days... 

I agree.  

Now, do you see how the GOP is losing its way by its collective refusal to distance themselves from Trump?   By continuing to hold Trump as their defacto leader, the GOP continues to tarnish its credibility.   And worse, it is their support for Trump that enables him to continue.   If they would have dropped him after his Big Lie, he would not be news nowadays and the GOP would have a different defacto leader and the hope of restoring some of its credibility.

I say this because it is critical that the GOP be an effective political party.   I would prefer to see three or four viable political parties in the USA.   Thus I do not find it good for our nation if one of our two parties stupidly hobbles itself for short-term, low-hanging-fruit gains.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.12  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.10    2 years ago
That is your problem and shortcoming, not mine. 

That's your opinion, not mine. We will never agree on this.  In the scheme of things, no big deal.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.13  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.10    2 years ago

Trump didn’t try to steal anything.  He tried and failed due to the deep state to stop the steal.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.14  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.13    2 years ago

images-1_1598368484173.jpg?w=588

JR @ 4.1.10 Donald Trump tried to steal the 2020 election.  You fail to completely denounce him. That is your problem and shortcoming, not mine. 
XX @ 4.1.13 ☞ Trump didn’t try to steal anything.   He tried and failed due to the deep state to stop the steal.  

How funny.  Your self-contradicting ' rebuttal ' tacitly admits that Trump tried to steal the election but failed.

And I realize that you were trying to say that Trump failed to stop the election from being stolen, but your wording was amusing.

Regardless, anyone who still thinks Trump is the legitimate PotUS has no credibility.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5  bbl-1    2 years ago

Now I am waiting for the MAGA Mob to swear their allegience to Putin too.

As far as Lindsey------well-----he's on the Trump train and heading into the realm of 'the trackless'.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  bbl-1 @5    2 years ago

am waiting for the MAGA Mob to swear their allegience to Putin to

You know the Democrats used the filibuster  that tool of white supremacy, yesterday to protect Putin’s pipeline from sanctions, right?

Lol.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  bbl-1 @5    2 years ago

They have already done that with their allegiance to Trump.  The two are a package deal.

Ender
Professor Principal
6  Ender    2 years ago

McConnell is way past his expiration date.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.1  bbl-1  replied to  Ender @6    2 years ago

McConnell is owned.  It needs to be determined, by whom.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  bbl-1 @6.1    2 years ago

My guess would be China because of his wife.  I am sure she has him totally pussy whipped to do her bidding.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.1    2 years ago
My guess would be China because of his wife. 

Oh, yeah, she is nothing but a Chinese plant--forced to immigrate here at age 8 as a sleeper agent!!

SMMFH at what people are willing to believe!

Gazoo
Junior Silent
6.1.3  Gazoo  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.1    2 years ago

Going by left leaning,,,,,,,logic, if there is such a thing, that’s racist.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Gazoo @6.1.3    2 years ago

Racism seems to be fine when directed at Republicans or conservatives.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.5  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.4    2 years ago

Indeed, secular progressive racism against African Americans, Hispanic Americans, and Asian Americans who are conservative is blatant.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @6    2 years ago

That is the problem with turtles.  They can live for over 100 years.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7  Paula Bartholomew    2 years ago

I hope Trump's magats do what he said awhile back.....not vote.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1  Texan1211  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7    2 years ago
I hope Trump's magats do what he said awhile back.....not vote.

Not going to happen

But that IS probably the only thing that could save the Democratic Party in the midterms.