╌>

N.Y. Supreme Court strikes down NYC law granting voting rights to non-citizen residents - CBS New York

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  6 comments

By:    httptwitter. comcbsnewyork (CBSNewYork)

N.Y. Supreme Court strikes down NYC law granting voting rights to non-citizen residents - CBS New York
The law allowed legal residents, including those with green cards, to vote in municipal elections starting in 2023.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

NEW YORK - The New York state Supreme Court rules that non-citizens can not vote in local elections.

The New York City Council approved the "Our City, Our Vote" bill in December, and it became law in January. The law allowed legal residents, including those with green cards, to vote in municipal elections starting in 2023.

A group of Republican lawmakers filed suit in Staten Island Supreme Court to block the measure, which would have allowed an estimated 800,000 adults to vote for mayor, public advocate, city council and borough presidents.

The law did not allow non-citizens to vote in state or federal elections.

"Today's decision validates those of us who can read the plain English words of our state constitution and state statutes: Noncitizen voting in New York is illegal, and shame on those who thought they could skirt the law for political gain. Opposition to this measure was bipartisan and cut across countless neighborhood and ethnic lines, yet progressives chose to ignore both our constitution and public sentiment in order to suit their aims. I commend the court in recognizing reality and reminding New York's professional protestor class that the rule of law matters," said City Council minority leader Joseph Borelli.

CBS New York Team

The CBS New York team is a group of experienced journalists who bring you the content on CBSNewYork.com.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

More bad news for the left

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

Vic, while I agree with the courts, you seem to be getting a bit too much pleasure for me out of some of these decisions.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1    2 years ago

Lol, you know Perrie, you may have me there!

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2  Nowhere Man    2 years ago

Even the Liberal NY Courts are turning against the Progressive agenda....

Yes, it's that bad....

charger 383
Professor Silent
3  charger 383    2 years ago

Voting should be reserved for citizens only

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  charger 383 @3    2 years ago

The Republicans are going to have to enact a law. Technically, it's not there right now.