╌>

At Least 5 Killed in Gay Nightclub Shooting in Colorado Springs - The New York Times

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  2 years ago  •  74 comments

By:   nytimes

At Least 5 Killed in Gay Nightclub Shooting in Colorado Springs - The New York Times
The police said a suspect, who was also injured, had been taken into custody.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

• 20colorado-springs-1-1-7da3-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale A photograph from social media showing the scene after a mass shooting at Club Q in Colorado Springs late Saturday.Credit...via Reuters

The L.G.B.T.Q. nightclub, Club Q, said it was 'devastated by the senseless attack on our community.'

At least five people were killed and 18 injured late Saturday in a shooting at an L.G.B.T.Q. nightclub in Colorado Springs, the police said early Sunday morning.

Lt. Pamela Castro, a public information officer with the Colorado Springs Police Department, said at a news conference outside the nightclub, Club Q, that the investigation was only beginning and that the number of victims was subject to change. She added that the victims had been taken to multiple area hospitals.

After the police received an initial call about an active shooting at 11:57 p.m., Lieutenant Castro said, officers entered the club and took into custody an individual they believed to be a suspect. The suspect was also injured and was being treated at a hospital, Lieutenant Castro said.

In a statement on its Facebook page, Club Q said it was "devastated by the senseless attack on our community."

The club added, "We thank the quick reactions of heroic customers that subdued the gunman and ended this hate attack."

The shooting at Club Q adds to a series of attacks targeting L.G.B.T.Q. venues in the United States. In 2016, a gunman killed 49 people and wounded 53 at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Fla., after proclaiming allegiance to the Islamic State terrorist group.

— Emma Bubola

There have been several mass shootings in Colorado Springs over the years.

ImagePolice officers outside Club Q in Colorado Springs on Sunday.Credit...Kevin Mohatt/Reuters

Colorado has been the scene of several of the United States' most notorious mass shootings, including those at Columbine High School in 1999 and a movie theater in Aurora in 2012.

Colorado Springs, in particular, has been forced to mourn several times before.

Last year, a gunman killed six people at a birthday party on Mother's Day before taking his own life. The police said that "friends, family and children were gathered inside" a home at the Canterbury Mobile Home Park when the shooting occurred.

In 2015, a man with an assault-style rifle killed three people and wounded nine in a rampage at a Planned Parenthood office. Though he said he was motivated by opposition to abortion, he was found mentally unfit to stand trial and committed to a state-run psychiatric hospital.

Also in 2015, a man carrying a semiautomatic rifle fatally shot three people, apparently at random, on a residential street near downtown Colorado Springs. The gunman was fatally shot by police officers after he fired at them, the authorities said.

— Daniel Victor

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    2 years ago

WTAF?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  JBB @1    2 years ago

the springs is the bible thumper center of colorado. their mega churches have armed guards, since geezus obviously needs some help saving thumper scum. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1    2 years ago

[deleted]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

Another day, another shooting - making room for the migrants.

A question.  When do everyday occurences stop being considered news?

CB
Professor Principal
3  CB    2 years ago

Not a whole lot of understanding of what happened in this article (yet). Listening mode. . . . 

That said I truly hope those heroic patrons put some "Woo-wee" knots on his head, neck, and shoulders before turning in over to authorities!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  CB @3    2 years ago

I was sort of thinking that if the heroic patrons who overcame the shooter had broken his arms that hopefully it would be ignored that they may have been overzealous. 

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.1  CB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    2 years ago

Buzz! It is a good observation that most of these murderous people don't get taken down or taken alive. The time may have come to put the citizens of our country on notice that we've had enough: These "exuberant" killers will do more than just "be" in prison doing time and wait to rot. I propose they "be" severely disabled, inconvenienced, uncomfortable, while they look forward to 'rotting'! It might make some of them think before they act violently in society!

To be clear I propose a different style of just ice for spree killers and mass murders only. They are driving these high death numbers every year!

While I can't support supra-judicial justice and be consistent (so I won't here) I deeply feel your frustration with these types of situations.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @3.1.1    2 years ago
The time may have come to put the citizens of our country on notice that we've had enough: These "exuberant" killers will do more than just "be" in prison doing time and wait to rot.

In 2021, there were 22,900 reported cases of murder in this country.  That same year saw 280 of those 22,900 killed were in mass shootings.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  CB @3.1.1    2 years ago

I fear for the life and safety of my son and his family in Wisconsin.  That State has seen a share of the murderous insanity recently.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.4  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.2    2 years ago

WHAT is your point? As I don't see how this article has become about generic murders in America!  More to your comment: The nation probably can not sanction "throwing the book" or detailing severe near cruel punishment for the 'average' murderer/s that it could for mass killers.

Specifically, I am offering some food for thought on how to get these "un-satiated" mass murders to tamp/stand down/deter, if it is even possible to do so.

None of this is easy, but it is grave.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.5  CB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.3    2 years ago

That is the thing isn't it with mass killers when they come for one of us. . . it really is the lot of us that get our teeth set on edge!

"It could have been me!"

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @3.1.4    2 years ago
WHAT is your point?

That mass murder accounts for 1% of our homicides.

Specifically, I am offering some food for thought on how to get these "un-satiated" mass murders to tamp/stand down/deter

Very thin gruel. 

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.7  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.6    2 years ago

Stop being nasty for nasty sake, will you? Murderous individuals are 'eating our lunch' - it's an expression so don't get hung up or stuck on it. Don't you want this to stop? What can you seriously suggest as a deterrence? Although, I am just 'fielding' stuff anyway to see if anything can catch on.

That mass murder accounts for 1% of our homicides.

If true (I won't bother verifying), it's 1 percent too many homicides and we can do without them!

CB
Professor Principal
4  CB    2 years ago

WHAT will it take for these "spree" killers and mass murders to get the understanding these killings (schools/clubs/churches/temples/mosques: shootings and bombings) are unacceptable and will not be tolerated?

Should society pass laws to surgically remove killers legs prior to putting them in state and federal institutions?

Should society surgically blind these people prior to placing them in state and federal institutions?

Would fear of doing long time in prison without the use of legs or ability to see be a good deterrence? I wonder!

Would government sanctioned 'removals' be considered unconstitutional due to cruel and unusual punishment reasons?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @4    2 years ago
WHAT will it take for these "spree" killers and mass murders to get the understanding these killings (schools/clubs/churches/temples/mosques: shootings and bombings) are unacceptable and will not be tolerated?

Do you think that most of them are able to understand what is acceptable and what isn’t?

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.1  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1    2 years ago

In court, most of these characters do not get assigned to mental hospitals. Of course, the mentally insane we simply have to 'suffer' them and their shortcomings (psychosis/ mental disability). Being proven mentally ill is a sentence all its own, in my opinion.

But for those whose only affliction is getting satiated thorough blood-lust: Society should put those dudes on notice that prison will be a daily lived 'Hell." through surgical blindness or surgical removal of the ability to ambulate.

(Judicial surgeries on 'inmates' probably won't pass constitutional scrutiny/testing anyway.)

GregTx
PhD Guide
4.1.2  GregTx  replied to  CB @4.1.1    2 years ago
But for those whose only affliction is getting satiated thorough blood-lust: Society should put those dudes on notice that prison will be a daily lived 'Hell." thorough blindness or being unable to walk or run.

Is society doing that?

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.3  CB  replied to  GregTx @4.1.2    2 years ago

Society would have to ask for passage of harsher treatment laws for spree and mass murders which can break through as deterrence to just up and killing 'wild' numbers of citizens and 'retiring' to a jail cell for life, in my opinion. Society has to approve it, likely before courts would consider taking it up for consideration.

We need ideas on deterrence/preventoin for these types of killers! That is, we need to get in their heads/minds before they act!

Why should a spree/mass murderer 'escape' to prison for life where relative 'comfort' can be discovered. The time is now to consider how make these men uncomfortable in state/federal custody.

CB
Professor Principal
5  CB    2 years ago

Thank everything above that there were two people able and willing to knock the "H" capitalized out of this young fool with maiming and killing on his mind! My LGBTQ 'brotherhood and sisterhood' you all done yourselves proud in not accepting total and utter defeat through this situation!

You all did not simply fall 'backwards' and die-I am so proud of you! So utterly proud!

The time has arrived to put these sorry monsters on notice that when they come for us, for the children, for the teachers, for any of us, or all of us, should they survive the event, their asses will reap the whirlwind!

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @5    2 years ago

Yes, two brave people kept this crime from being even worse.

CB
Professor Principal
6  CB    2 years ago

Okay, how about this. Can we bring back prison hard-labor as a preventive/deterrent for spree killers and mass murderers?

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1  Ender  replied to  CB @6    2 years ago

I think they still do that in Louisiana. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  CB @6    2 years ago

How about dressing them in an American flag and putting them on the front lines in Ukraine with one of the NRA's favourite weapons - there their murdering skills could be useful.  Okay, being more realistic, if they face the death penalty it should be by firing squad, a squad made up of their victims' friends and families. 

CB
Professor Principal
6.2.1  CB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2    2 years ago

Nah! Too much disturbance, trouble, anxiety for the family. But, you are suggesting revenge or closure?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  CB @6.2.1    2 years ago

For family and friends?  I suppose both revenge and closure. 

CB
Professor Principal
6.2.4  CB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.2    2 years ago

Hmmm, . . .the former could risk setting a mass murderer free through conquest-even possibly elevating his rank. . Hmmm, the latter would feel 'personal' in a lot of ways, I guess.  Now, which act is the deterrence (example for others to fear) that stops others from proceeding to kill masses?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  CB @6.2.4    2 years ago

You want to know how to maybe not stop, but to GREATLY reduce the murders?   Get rid of the fucking guns.  

CB
Professor Principal
6.2.6  CB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.5    2 years ago

Thanks Buzz, really. But that is a non-starter. Conservatives can't change. . . it's by intent! The definition of the 'thing' is narrow-mindedness. So the guns stay. You want to know what is ironic? It could be that because there are so many hidden guns in this country (with an ability to make more) that we have not waged open literal warfare across political spectrums.  A kind of "GAD!" (Gun Assured Destruction!)

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.2.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @6.2.6    2 years ago
Conservatives can't change. . . it's by intent!

Maybe if you filled in the missing words I would understand what you are trying to say.

The definition of the 'thing' is narrow-mindedness.

What's the 'thing' that you are defining?

So the guns stay.

Yes unless SCOTUS reverses itself or the country alters the 2nd Amendment. 

that we have not waged open literal warfare across political spectrums.

Did you mean Littoral Warfare along our liberal coasts?

CB
Professor Principal
6.2.8  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.2.7    2 years ago

Why are you 'drooling' over my comment to Buzz? And why 'bastardize' my wording? You conservatives have your damn guns and what is further ironic: A punk  gun-toting fool drags his sorry ass up into a 'gay' bar and delivers blood and violence and,. . .you got 'jokes' and 'shady shit' to write about!

It is so stupidly pathetic when men with guns as phallic-extensioners have to 'wander' into bars where people are definitely unarmed to get 'off.' Statistics show these 'freaks' with guns don't wander into law enforcement offices (though they can be easily found on Google) or into local armories because, . . well guns are 'kept' there.

Punk kids need something they can't get at home, I reckon.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.9  Texan1211  replied to  CB @6.2.8    2 years ago
Statistics show these 'freaks' with guns don't wander into law enforcement offices (though they can be easily found on Google) or into local armories because, . . well guns are 'kept' there.

Is this your way of admitting that the vast majority of people who own guns know that guns are deterrents to committing mass acts of violence?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.2.10  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @6.2.8    2 years ago
Why are you 'drooling' over my comment to Buzz?

Why would you think that I was drooling?

And why 'bastardize' my wording?

I haven't.

You conservatives have your damn guns

I don't know what you think that label means.

you got 'jokes' and 'shady shit' to write about!

I haven't written any joke or shady shit about this, you're confused again.

It is so stupidly pathetic when men with guns as phallic-extensioners have to 'wander' into bars where people are definitely unarmed to get 'off.

I don't know the number of issues that this sick you man has.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.11  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  CB @6.2.6    2 years ago

Of course I know that what I said is an impossibility.  It's too late.  The situation has gone beyond any ability to solve the problem.  I have often wtih tongue in cheek said that the only solution was to provide every person in America aged 12 and over with guns and ammunition so at least they have the ability to defend themselves.  Live with it.  The mass miurders and the killings and woundings is not going to stop in America because of the mind set of too many Americans.  I pity you all for living in a shooting gallery.

CB
Professor Principal
6.2.12  CB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.11    2 years ago

Well since death is not a 'turn-off' to gun violence amongst mass murders, surgically removing limbs might be a 'ugly' deterrent. The disaffected may take exception to staring back at a missing limb or—surgical blinding and release into prison population.

The mere thought could be the 'turn off' we need.  In any case, the time has come for researchers to come up with a plan to reduce our national tragic 'past-time' of mass killings.

Thank you for sharing, and know I appreciate your input Buzz. :)

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.2.13  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @6.2.12    2 years ago
Well since death is not a 'turn-off' to gun violence amongst mass murders, surgically removing limbs might be a 'ugly' deterrent.

What makes you think so?

In any case, the time has come for researchers to come up with a plan to reduce our national tragic 'past-time' of mass killings.

What have those damn researchers been up to for the last few years?

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
6.2.14  MonsterMash  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.5    2 years ago
You want to know how to maybe not stop, but to GREATLY reduce the murders?

[Deleted]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.15  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  CB @6.2.12    2 years ago

since you're talking about amputations to be a deterrent, you need only amputate trigger fingers. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6.2.16  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.15    2 years ago

missing my trigger finger didnt stop me from using a firearm for filling my hunting tags ....

CB
Professor Principal
6.2.17  CB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.15    2 years ago

A great idea! One problem however. These adjudicated criminals are likely never to hold a gun again anyway in prison serving lifelong sentences. Better they be warned of how they will be inconvenienced inside.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.18  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @6.2.16    2 years ago

Did you have any luck hunting?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.19  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.11    2 years ago

And today there was a mass shooting at a Walmart in Virginia.  You're not safe ANYWHERE in America.  There was even a story a while back about a man sitting in his living room who got hit by a stray bullet from a drive-by shooing.  There were those people in a parade in Wisconsin, or the ones shopping in Buffalo.  The kids in the schools - you never know where the bullets will start flying next.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6.2.20  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.18    2 years ago

Yup , 12 hrs later that same spot im sitting had 8 inches of snow covering it , son inlaw and daughter both filled their tags and got slightly smaller ones at the same time i got that . also did my part in thinning the white tail deer herd and got 2 does .

So the freezer is full and i have been making some breakfast sausage and burger meat , going to make some summer sausage and trail bologna today .

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.21  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @6.2.20    2 years ago

Only once in my life I ate venison - thought it was a little "gamey" if I remember. 

shona1
PhD Quiet
6.2.22  shona1  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @6.2.20    2 years ago

Morning Mark... Bambi burgers..

You should come over here..we need camel, buffalo, deer and fox shooters...

bccrane
Freshman Silent
6.2.23  bccrane  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.21    2 years ago

Depends on where the deer was harvested, if it spent it's life in the woods or swampy areas, then yeah it would be a bit gamey, the deer in our area forage in our farm fields and eat better than the cattle and taste better than beef and Doe's are tastier than bucks in rut.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6.2.24  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  shona1 @6.2.22    2 years ago

LOL , quigley down under im not though i do hail from his place of origin , i also dont shoot the same rifle ( though ive thought of getting one like it )  and can if need be shoot just about as far .

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6.2.25  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.21    2 years ago

i was talking on another thread about that , the end taste of any animal , depends on the level of care given after the kill though Bcc is right , what they have been feeding on also plays a good part of that as well.256

Now i estimated this girl to be about 4 years old due to tooth wear and the size of her ivories she was dry this year meaning she didnt have a calf , and she was not lactating , i figured i got about 250 pounds or more of meat from her , and that is meat that was eating the same thing as the local cattle in the same fields , with a leasurly jaunt down to the alfalfa fields and corn fields .

being female she is not all beat up shot through with testosterone and adreneline  from fighting for mates.

what some say is "gamey " is due to a lack of fat in the muscle itself , venison and elk are pretty lean , and when ground up , fat actually has to be added , it keeps it from crumbling when cooked , and fat is where the flavor is . for burger i mix in grain fed beef fat , for sausage i mix in pork fat but no more than and 80/20 mix 80% game meat , 20% fat . 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.26  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @6.2.25    2 years ago

Although it was many decades ago, I believe that what I ate was a venison steek, and it was from a wild deer (have no idea if it was buck or doe) so bcc's and your descriptions make sense. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.3  Texan1211  replied to  CB @6    2 years ago
Can we bring back prison hard-labor as a preventive/deterrent for spree killers and mass murderers?

Liberals would have kittens at the suggestion.

Soft-on-crime Soros-backed idiot DAs would be upset, too.

JBB
Professor Principal
6.3.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @6.3    2 years ago

Blah blah liberal blah blah Soros blah blah.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.3.2  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @6.3.1    2 years ago
Blah blah liberal blah blah Soros blah blah.

If one reads my comment one finds it isn't blah blah blah.

If.

JBB
Professor Principal
6.3.3  seeder  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @6.3.2    2 years ago

You repeat that lame claim a lot, too...

People understand your lameness fine.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.3.4  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @6.3.3    2 years ago
People understand your lameness fine.

Damn hard to tell based on the posts to me.

Prove me wrong.

Ender
Professor Principal
6.3.5  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @6.3.4    2 years ago

Girl comes up to me and says, what you drivin' I said, Bugatti. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.3.6  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @6.3.2    2 years ago

No, every single one of your comments is blah, blah, blah 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 years ago

Colorado LGBT nightclub shooter is non-binary, uses they/them pronouns, attorneys say

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @7    2 years ago

The msm makes an ass of itself yet again spreading false narratives.

But Elon musk is the threat to democracy

evilone
Professor Guide
7.1.1  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @7.1    2 years ago

Both can be true at the same time.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Sean Treacy @7.1    2 years ago
The msm makes an ass of itself yet again spreading false narratives.

They won't tell us that the shooter is part of the protected group.  God forbid the narrative get ruined by the truth.

But Elon musk is the threat to democracy

They say that because Elon opened up Twitter to opposing opinion.  You know the left can't handle that.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
8  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago

As this investigation continues, we will learn that Mx. Anderson Lee Aldrich AKA Nicholas F. Brink is in part, the product of growing up in a dysfunctional environment, bullied, and unable to understand his place in society.  I'm confident that there were more than one red flags that signal the need for mental health treatment.  None of this excuses his murders but in cases like this, there usually isn't a simple hate narrative.  Perhaps he hated himself and his parents more than those that he killed or wounded.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8    2 years ago

In a round about way , your saying without saying it , that its a mental health issue  at its base . or am i wrong ?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
8.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @8.1    2 years ago

I think that there are mental health issues in almost all mass shooting incidents.  This isn't a combat situation were it is kill or be killed or to protect your family in a self defensive situation.  It not a case where there is a self-benefit motive were you are obtaining something of value by killing someone.  The mass shooter, if lucid, knows that at some point, he will ether likely be killed with a few captured and spend the rest of their life in prison .

We see mass shootings as socially contagious, when one occurs, several more occur.  From the mass shootings that I've read about, the shooters profile typical includes early childhood trauma (family violence, sexual assault, or parental suicides), extreme bullying. Life failures (school, work) lead towards hopeless despair, isolation, and self-hatred.  At some point, that self-hatred goes outward to others, blaming them for the shooters situation. The group might be classmates, workmates, or a gender, racial, life style group.  Something triggers the final event and the shooters decides to kill members of that group as he commits suicide and he has deluded himself into think that this will bring him fame or importance that they couldn't achieve in life.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9  Trout Giggles    2 years ago

I saw an interview with the Army vet who wrestled the gun away from the killer. He said he told one of the drag queens to stomp him with her high heels. I thought that was funny, but she did

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @9    2 years ago

Should have stomped him with her Kinky Boots

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.2  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @9    2 years ago

I just saw this - 

lauren-boebert.jpg?id=29834683&width=1200&height=745
Lauren Boebert (Photo by Michael Reynolds for AFP)

On Wednesday, The Denver Post editorial board tore into Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO) by writing "we're looking at you" for her hateful rhetoric against the LGBTQ community in the runup to the mass shooting at Club Q.

"Lauren Boebert ... tweeted this out on Sunday in the wake of the Club Q shooting: 'The news out of Colorado Springs is absolutely awful. This morning the victims & their families are in my prayers. This lawless violence needs to end and end quickly,'" wrote the board. "This is the same person who has previously offered up these gems: 'Take your children to CHURCH, not drag bars' and 'We went from Reading Rainbow to Randy Rainbow in a few decades, but don’t dare say the Left is grooming our kids!'"

"Boebert was rightly excoriated for her role in elevating hateful speech against the LGBTQ community. As an added bonus, her hard-line positions on gun control, ruling out even common sense measures, mean she would not have supported any efforts that might have kept guns out of this shooter’s possession," continued the editorial. "Boebert’s profile made her an easy target for those pointing out the dangerous environment created when we fail to treat our lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer neighbors as equals. But she is not the only one in this state, let alone the nation, guilty of perpetuating the rhetoric that fuels fear and hate."

The shooter, according to legal experts, could have been stopped with Colorado's red flag law allowing a temporary confiscation of firearms if officials have credible evidence of a risk; the person reportedly was arrested previously for making a bomb threat in their neighborhood. The details of why that didn't happen are still unclear, although El Paso County, which includes Colorado Springs, has declared itself a "Second Amendment sanctuary" and vowed not to enforce certain aspects of the red flag law.

"As the dead are buried, and as this case works its way through the courts, we will no doubt be assaulted with the same vile remarks we’ve heard before about the LGBTQ community," said the editorial. "Those voices should never be elevated and we are disheartened to see them creeping into mainstream social media channels. We are disappointed voters decided Boebert’s behavior should, as of the latest vote tally, be rewarded with another term in Congress."

Boebert, long controversial for her embrace of QAnon conspiracy theories, was re-elected in the 2022 midterm by a surprisingly narrow margin, beating Democratic challenger Adam Frisch by just a few hundred votes.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @9.2    2 years ago

From what I understand he made those bomb threats against his own mother. His family is just as responsible for these killings as he is. Mom decided not to prosecute. If she had this tragedy might have been avoided.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.2.2  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.2.1    2 years ago

Yikes - I need to look further into this.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.2.3  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.2.1    2 years ago

"We've got to pull on this thread a little bit more. Allow me to do that with regard to this county, and yes, that's right, the sheriffs there have come out and said -- it's even worse, it's bad enough to say, hey, we're really not going to enforce the red flag laws, we're not going to do our job to protect and serve the community. But it's even worse because what they've said is we're not going to be the ones who petition for the seizure of those weapons under Colorado law," explained Figliuzzi. "Colorado law says there are two parties who can temporarily seize weapons until they figure out a threat. The police and family members of the threatening person."

In the case of the Colorado Springs shooter, after threatening to blow up his mother's home, both parties could have seized any weapons from the shooter or prevented the purchase of additional weapons from the shooter.

"So, in this case, the police, the sheriffs, are saying, yeah, well, hey, we're not going to be the ones to take his weapons, because, you know, we're going to have his mom request that," characterized Figliuzzi. "Think about that in a spousal abuse situation, where you've got this abused spouse syndrome where they don't even want to press charges. Thank God they dialed 911 because they're getting beaten. And now the sheriff has to say to them, you've got to be the one who tells us to take his property. That's simply not how it happens and that's not how red flags were designed."

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
10  Greg Jones    2 years ago

Going forward gay clubs might consider armed security personnel

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.1  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @10    2 years ago

jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
Professor Principal
10.2  devangelical  replied to  Greg Jones @10    2 years ago

meh, go to the source. this BS won't end until the religious rhetoric has been shut down.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
11  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago

CNN is reporting that Mx. Anderson Aldrich, born Nicholas Brink had sporadic contact with his father who divorced from mom when Nick was one, and perhaps no contact after he turned seven.

His father was a mixed martial arts fighter, porn actor and drug dealer who did federal time illegally importing pot.  He had pled guilty the year before his son was born of domestic battery.

His mother had issues and run ins with the law as well.  When her son was eight, she reported a home invasion and the investigation found that she fabricated it “she was lonely and wanted attention”.  The next year she received three years probation for filing this false report and several previous convictions of public intoxication.  Then in 2010, she underwent court-ordered mental health treatment.

They lived in CA, TX and then CO.  In 2012, started a fire in her room at the Baptist Medical Center.  A psychologist concluded that she suffered from severe borderline personality disorder and alcohol dependence, among other issues. 

Aldrich was being bullied on the web, enough that a court allowed him to change his legal name when he was 16. A couple years ago he was in a standoff with police who responded to a call from his mother.

His fucked up childhood played some role in the failed adult he became.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
12  Thrawn 31    2 years ago

Meh, Americans.

GregTx
PhD Guide
13  GregTx    2 years ago

So.. he identifies as non binary? They/them..