╌>

South Carolina's Nikki Haley to launch 2024 presidential campaign, joining Trump in nomination hunt

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  last year  •  43 comments

By:   Paul Steinhauser (Fox News)

South Carolina's Nikki Haley to launch 2024 presidential campaign, joining Trump in nomination hunt
Nikki Haley of South Carolina, who served as United Nations ambassador during former President Donald Trump's administration, will soon declare her candidacy for president.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, who served as ambassador to the United Nations during former President Donald Trump's administration, will join Trump in the race for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination.

Multiple sources confirm to Fox News Digital that Haley will formally declare her candidacy for the White House at an event in Charleston, South Carolina, on Feb. 15, with an invitation soon going out to her supporters. News of Haley's announcement was first reported by the Post and Courier newspaper in South Carolina.

Political pundits have long viewed Haley as a potential GOP presidential contender, as she crisscrossed the country the past two years through her political group Stand for America, helping fellow Republicans running in the 2022 elections. Haley's travels brought her numerous times to Iowa, New Hampshire, and Nevada, which hold the first, second and fourth contests in the Republican presidential nominating calendar. Haley's home state of South Carolina votes third in the GOP primary schedule.

Nikki Haley, former ambassador to the United Nations and former South Carolina governor, during the Republican Jewish Coalition (RJC) Annual Leadership Meeting in Las Vegas, Nevada, US, on Saturday, Nov. 19, 2022. (Ronda Churchill/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

When speaking with reporters last year who questioned her about a White House run, Haley reiterated that "after November, we'll figure it out. But you know what I've said — I've never lost a race. I'm not going to start now. If there's place for me, we'll put a 100% in, and we'll finish it."

Haley turned up the volume in a speech following the midterms at the Republican Jewish Coalition's annual leadership meeting, which was viewed as the first major 2024 GOP presidential cattle call.

"A lot of people have asked if I'm going to run for president," Haley said to cheers from the crowd at the Las Vegas confab. "Now that the midterms are over, I'll look at it in a serious way."

She repeated that she's "never lost an election" and that "when people underestimate me, it's always fun."

Two weeks ago, Haley amped up her language even further, saying in an interview on Fox News' "Special Report" that "I think we need a young generation to come in, step up and really start fixing things… Can I be that leader? Yes, I think I can be that leader."

Haley is the daughter of immigrants from India who grew up to become South Carolina's first female governor. Now, she'll become the second well-known Republican to launch a 2024 campaign, following the former president, who announced his candidacy in an event at his Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Florida, in mid-November

Speaking with reporters aboard his plane on Saturday as he flew from a campaign speech in New Hampshire to a leadership kickoff in South Carolina, Trump said that Haley had called him to discuss running for the White House.

Former President Donald Trump speaks at a campaign event at the South Carolina Statehouse, Saturday, Jan. 28, 2023, in Columbia, S.C. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

"Go by your heart if you want to run," Trump said he told Haley. And he said he told her she "should do it."

But then he appeared to take a dig at Haley, noting that she had previously "publicly" said she wouldn't seek the White House in 2024 if Trump ran again.

Haley told the Associated Press in April 2021, "I would not run if President Trump ran, and I would talk to him about it. That's something that we will have a conversation about at some point if that decision is something that has to be made."

But later that year, Haley signaled an openness to a possible 2024 presidential run even if Trump decided to seek the White House again.

Behind the scenes, Haley has been ramping up her operation in recent weeks, with incoming staff heading to South Carolina.

"Nikki Haley has been laying the groundwork for a national launch ever since she went to the United Nations," South Carolina based social conservative leader Dave Wilson noted.

Wilson, president of the Palmetto Family Council, a conservative Christian nonprofit in Columbia, emphasized that "with this announcement, Haley's entered the countdown window. As they say at NASA, 'Prepare for liftoff.'"

Haley may not be the only South Carolina Republican to jump into the White House race. Sen. Tim Scott is making moves that could lead toward the launch of a presidential campaign.

Among the other top Republicans who appear to be moving towards launching bids are Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, former Vice President Mike Pence, former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, and former two-term Govs. Larry Hogan of Maryland and Asa Hutchinson of Arkansas. And among those mulling White House runs are Govs. Glenn Youngkin of Virginia, Chris Sununu of New Hampshire, and Kristi Noem of South Dakota, Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, and former Reps. Liz Cheney of Wyoming and Will Hurd of Texas.

Paul Steinhauser is a politics reporter based in New Hampshire.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    last year

The Establishment candidate has arrived. She will now be Trump's primary target.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year

I am sorry, Haley is considered Establishment? If so then are Pompeo and DeSantis considered Establishment candidates? Is anyone other than Trump considered Establishment?

If DeSantis and Pompeo both jump in I would rank it (at least in order of who I would vote for)

1. DeSantis
  2. Pompeo
  3. Haley (Pompeo and Haley are interchangeable at this point)
  4. Trump (The only way I will vote for Trump is if he wins the primary. In which case he is still the lesser of two evils compared to any Democrat.)
  5. Pence (Now he is the real Establishment candidate. If it comes down to Trump and Pence in the primary we are doomed to 4 more years of Democrat rule. I guess I will vote for Pence in the general election; but I might tear up my fairly new Republican card while doing it. If this is the garbage Republicans are going to give us; then I might as well go back to voting for the best candidate regardless of party- which means 3rd party here I come again!)

I am probably missing someone; but really what are the chances of a big outsider jumping in at this point? Anyone young enough, with anything politically career wise to risk, is going to stay the hell away from the Trump slaughterhouse machine.

I am really beginning to despise Trump. I credit him for what he achieved as president; and for fighting the Democrat BS machine. But it is time for him to just go away for good. The Democrats and the media turned midterms into a Trump/Jan 6th referendum. Turning the Red Wave into the Republicans barely retaking the House. How much bigger of fuck ups do Republicans need to get untouchable majority than Brandon and the Democrats? Sure the Supreme Court abortion ruling hurt Republicans; it would have been much better for it to come out after midterms. But for people to "vote against their own self interests" (to use Democrat vernacular) shows just how toxic Trump is. The Democrats have driven this country into a ditch in every way shape and form. Yet they still are in power. 

As for Trump supporters. Turn that anger where it belongs- the Democrats and their take over of government at every level except the Supreme Court. This is there mess. Jump behind your favorite non Trump Republican candidate; and remember Democrats are not fit serve at any level of government. 

If the Republican Establishment doesn't change- then continue to vote each Establishment candidate out in the primaries until we get good representation!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1    last year
Haley is considered Establishment?

Yes. 

If so then are Pompeo and DeSantis considered Establishment candidates? 

No. Both are of the Populist wing. DeSantis is Trump without the drama. He now carries the torch for "America First."

I am probably missing someone; but really what are the chances of a big outsider jumping in at this point?

Slim to none.

I am really beginning to despise Trump. I credit him for what he achieved as president; and for fighting the Democrat BS machine. But it is time for him to just go away for good. The Democrats and the media turned midterms into a Trump/Jan 6th referendum. Turning the Red Wave into the Republicans barely retaking the House. How much bigger of fuck ups do Republicans need to get untouchable majority than Brandon and the Democrats?

There is not much we can do about it. The media painted Trump as a villain, and it stuck. Fortunately, many Republicans got the message: we can't win with him on the ticket.

Sure the Supreme Court abortion ruling hurt Republicans; it would have been much better for it to come out after midterms. But for people to "vote against their own self interests" (to use Democrat vernacular) shows just how toxic Trump is. The Democrats have driven this country into a ditch in every way shape and form. Yet they still are in power. 

They have so much power that it will be tough to save the country.

As for Trump supporters. Turn that anger where it belongs- the Democrats and their take over of government at every level except the Supreme Court. This is there mess. Jump behind your favorite non Trump Republican candidate; and remember Democrats are not fit serve at any level of government. 

Amen brother!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    last year

If push comes to shove, I would vote for Halley over Trump any day. Trump had his shot and burned all his bridges behind him. DeSantis is still my first choice should he be going against Trump. Worst case scenario where it is Trump against Biden, I refuse to vote for either of them. I have zero respect for either one and both have disgraced the office of the President.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  Ronin2  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1.2    last year
I have zero respect for either one and both have disgraced the office of the President.

I agree with you. Unfortunately, it looks like we will have a Brandon/Trump rematch right now. Unless DeSantis jumps in. 

As much as I despise Trump; I fear Brandon getting four more years to screw this country even further far more.

Despise wins out over fear when we only have this two party Establishment system.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1.2    last year
Worst case scenario where it is Trump against Biden, I refuse to vote for either of them.

Then the era of the left will continue

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.1.5  afrayedknot  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.4    last year

“Then the era of the left will continue.”

There are no ‘eras’ here. There is but a four-year to eight-year reset. The powers at be content in either supporting the status quo or demanding immediate change.

Nothing changes. If anything, it is the Era of Dysfunction. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.6  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  afrayedknot @1.1.5    last year
There are no ‘eras’ here.

The era of the left began in 2021 and one day they will write books about it.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.4    last year

Sadly you are correct.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.8  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.6    last year
The era of the left began in

etc.

Rinse, repeat, rinse.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.9  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.8    last year

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year
She will now be Trump's primary target.

So...  I wonder what her new name is gonna be?  No good Nickey?  Ho hum Haley?  Haley's Commie?  I know.  It's Nickey nookie.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  SteevieGee @1.2    last year

Don't forget Nikkiturd or Haleyturd.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.2.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2.1    last year

Nikki no good,  Nikki Nikki nodikkie bananana nodikkie.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2.1    last year
Don't forget Nikkiturd or Haleyturd.

I am pretty sure one of the resident geniuses here already had that down pat!

Gotta admit, at least it is different than trumpturd!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.4  Sparty On  replied to  SteevieGee @1.2.2    last year

Lol hilarious!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.5  devangelical  replied to  SteevieGee @1.2.2    last year

sticky nikki...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  SteevieGee @1.2    last year

I am sure the usual suspects (possibly 3rd graders?) will be along to add to those illustrious suggestions.

Count on it.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.7  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @1.2.5    last year

I bet she wore out her trumpturd knee pads.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.8  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2.1    last year

That's reserved for trumpturd.  No one can compare to that steaming pile . . .

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.9  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2.1    last year

You have a crush on me don't you Jim?  You can admit it.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.10  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.6    last year

Here’s their theme song:

No no Nikki

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.11  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @1.2.10    last year

Sounds like maybe they are afraid of a sane, smart woman.

I can see why after supporting the likes of Hillary, Maxine, Nancy, and Kamala!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.12  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.11    last year

Misogyny and bigotry is allowed if you are a TDS triggered fool.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    last year

There was a time when I thought Nikki Haley would be a great choice for POTUS.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    last year

Why?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    last year

I thought she had governmental experience, leadership qualities, her UN job gave her knowledge of foreign affairs, and she was young and attractive.  Originally she stood up to Trump, but it's a negative that she then became supportive of him.   Think about this for a second, not that it's important, but if she DID become POTUS, then both the USA and the UK could have leaders with East Indian ancestry.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.1    last year
I thought she had governmental experience, leadership qualities, her UN job gave her knowledge of foreign affairs, and she was young and attractive.

But she quit!  She couldn't take the media pressure.

Think about this for a second, not that it's important, but if she DID become POTUS, then both the USA and the UK could have leaders with East Indian ancestry.

I'm sorry, I'm not getting the tingles.

Hallux
Masters Principal
2.1.3  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.2    last year
But she quit!  She couldn't take the media pressure

Or she had mounting debts ...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to    last year

To both you and Vic - I said it wasn't important, it just happened to cross my mind so maybe I just should have kept my fingers still (i.e., like keeping my mouth shut about it). 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.2    last year

If she quit for that reason, why would she want to vie  for a position where it would be much much worse?  Makes no sense to me.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.7  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.6    last year

Nor me either. Then again, she has a history of quiting.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
3  Nerm_L    last year

2024 may well become a 'foreign affairs' election.  Focusing attention on Russia, China, the Middle East, foreign wars, immigration, and trade would be Biden's weak spot.  Biden's record on foreign affairs has been screw up after screw up.  Biden can't win a foreign affairs election.

Democrats are going to try to frame the 2024 election around domestic affairs, for rather obvious reasons.  The botched Afghanistan withdrawal isn't a strong sell for Democrats.  And it won't be so easy to shove the war in Ukraine into the background.  China is becoming a worry, North Korea has renewed its provocations, Iran has made it back into the headlines, and India is sitting on the fence.  Under Biden, the United States has become more vulnerable to foreign threats from all corners of the globe.  

Trump's appeal is MAGA which is all about domestic affairs.  If Biden's foreign entanglements assume a larger place in the election then Trump becomes less relevant.  Pence would be competing to carry the MAGA standard on domestic issues.  DeSantis doesn't have foreign affairs credentials.  A foreign affairs election would elevate Haley and Pompeo.  

Biden has prepped the ground for a war election in 2024.  But Biden appears to be clueless in managing the wars he wanted and, more importantly, the wars he started.  Biden's foreign failures is his weakest spot.  And Democrats don't have anyone on the bench unless they try to paint more lipstick on Clinton.  

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Nerm_L @3    last year
Under Biden, the United States has become more vulnerable to foreign threats from all corners of the globe.

This comment is supported by two very high-profile men.

Don't underestimate Joe's ability to fuck things up ~ Barack Obama
[Biden] has been wrong on nearly every major foreign policy and national security issue over the past four decades ~ Robert Gates

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Nerm_L @3    last year

Yes yes, we all know you support authoritarians.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    last year

If it is true that Trump cant win the general election, every candidate that announces seeking the GOP nomination is another nail in the party's coffin. 

If there are 5 or 6 candidates Trump is virtually assured of winning. The only way this would not be true is if Haley, Pence, etc would take votes away from Trump and not DeSantis. Now, what self respecting MAGA is going to vote for Nikki Haley because they want an alternative to Trump?  My guess would be close to none.  But there may be some "traditional" Republicans who want an alternative to both Trump and DeSantis. If we assume Trump has a locked in 30% of the vote, which seems very likely, he could win with that number in a 5 or 6 person field. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @4    last year

"If we assume Trump has a locked in 30% of the vote, which seems very likely, he could win with that number in a 5 or 6 person field"

Your assumption is not based upon any known facts. His support will further diminish if he starts his usual attacks on his opponents, especially a well respected and admired woman.

evilone
Professor Guide
5  evilone    last year

The latest tracking poll on 2024 Republican nominees - Ms Haley polls somewhere around 6% and Trump at the top above 50%.

We have more than a year before we get into debates and better polling data. The more people that run the better it is for Trump.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1  Greg Jones  replied to  evilone @5    last year

The only serious contenders after New Hampshire next year will be Haley and DeSantis.

Trump's abrasive bullying and never ending stream of BS will continue to erode his support.

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1.1  evilone  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1    last year
The only serious contenders after New Hampshire next year will be Haley and DeSantis.

I will make no predictions this far out. 

Trump's abrasive bullying and never ending stream of BS will continue to erode his support.

One would think so, but then every poll that comes out says the opposite. Again we are very far away from any primaries, so I will not make any predictions this far out.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1    last year

Greg, I love your pivot. From defending Trump at every turn, to stabbing him in the back at every turn. It really is funny to me.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6  Thrawn 31    last year

Lol oh Haley, why blow your shot so early? Let Trump remind everyone why the hate him for a couple more months.