Child Chat About Friendship

By:  Enoch  •  2 weeks ago  •  61 comments

Child Chat About Friendship
"You Can Hear A Lot By Listening". (Yogi Berra)

Leave a comment to auto-join group Chaplain's Corner

Chaplain's Corner

The "Mom and Pop" shop where we have our family vehicles serviced for decades is run by fellow grandparents.

The family Matriarch brings her grandchildren to work when they are not in school or summer camp.

The daughter, the older of the two always comes to me when I bring my or Mrs. E's car for service.

She knows I will pay attention, do fun things, and make her feel good about our time together.

Six year olds are not all that different than adults.

They are just more honest and spontaneous about it.

We color in coloring books, draw on art paper; talk and listen.

Last time we did so we discussed friendship.

What is it?

How do you decide and know who is a good friend and who not?

What do you look for in a friend?

What should you do to be a good friend?

Why is friendship important?

As always, when she and I talk while thrilling the art world with our creations I learn as much or more than convey.

If you want to know what you need about friendship, chat with, but hear attentively to a six year old.

What are your original thoughts and experiences about friendship?

Does your heritage, tradition and/or culture add anything to this line of interest?

Please share, staying within the following guidelines.

Kindly follow site CoC and TOS.

Observe the Four B's.

Be Respectful.

Be On-Point.

Be Positive.

or Be Gone.

We look forward to learning, and being inspired by you.

Peace and Abundant Blessings Always.

Enoch.

Find text within the comments Find

1  author  Enoch    2 weeks ago

Learning from youth.

A great source of wisdom.

Please follow site CoC, TOS; and the Four B's.

Be Positive.

Be On-Point.

Be Respectful.

or Be Gone!

Kindly advise your unique musings and experiences on what friendship is.

Why it matters.

What to look for in a friend.

How to be a good friend.

If your culture, heritage, tradition etc. sheds light, please share it.

Peace and Abundant Blessings Always.

r.t..b...
1.1  r.t..b...  replied to  Enoch @1    2 weeks ago
Kindly advise your unique musings and experiences on what friendship is.

An unforgettable experience if you all will indulge...

Two years ago I got a call from an elementary school friend I hadn't seen, but thought of often in the fifty years since we said good-bye when I moved out of state. His father had passed away and in going through his belongings, found an old Polaroid of us on our last day together. His daughter was with and asked about the picture and he recounted the story of our friendship and how we were inseparable, as grade school chums often are. Long story short, she took it upon herself to find me as 'gift' for her dad and after many calls to fellows that were not me, we eventually connected over the phone. We have since reconnected in person on two different occasions and have picked up our relationship without skipping a beat. There are more incredible details, but let me wrap up by saying that the friendships we forge, no matter how young or for how short a period, are everlasting and should be cherished. Peace.

1.1.1  author  Enoch  replied to  r.t..b... @1.1    2 weeks ago

Dear Friend R.T..B...: Pearls of wisdom those.

The bond may stretch, but never break in a solid friendship.

Not time, or circumstance can change that.

i chat from time to time with class mates of various levels of education who are stlil with us.

Its like the years are mere book marks.

The hold the place.

They don't change the content.

Thanks for an informative and thought provoking post.

This should get us off our collective and individual duffs and renew ties with people from times past.

Before it is too late.

Peace and Abundant Blessings Always.

2  Trout Giggles    2 weeks ago

Six year olds do have a lot of insight.

I got caught up in a conversation with one such six year old at the lake one day. We talked about fish, the water, why do fish swim in the water, why is water wet....you know intellectual things.

I think to be a friend to someone you have to overlook their faults...not be blind to them, but you can't let their faults get in the way of a really good relationship.

2.1  author  Enoch  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    2 weeks ago

Dear Friend Trout Giggles: Sounds like a great conversation you had with the young one about fishing.

One of the great memories I have from my childhood is fishing with my family and friends.

"If seaweed had ears".

Smiles.

Your definition of friendship is a wise and superb one.

Many thanks for sharing it with us.

P&AB.

Raven Wing
2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    2 weeks ago

And that is something that young children seem to do a lot when they genuinely like someone.

It seems that some adults feel it is their duty to hold others accountable for their faults, when they should first be accountable for their own faults. And there is no human without faults. However, we should encourage the young to be as conscience of the merits of others as they are of their faults.

JMOO

2.2.1  author  Enoch  replied to  Raven Wing @2.2    2 weeks ago

Dear Sister Raven Wing: You raise a good point.

Many decades ago I coached Little League Baseball in summers for my town recreation department.

Young ones will argue.

Sometimes boys will fist fight.

Ten minutes later they are on the diamond playing baseball again.

All is forgotten among the children.

Not so much the parents.

I saw adults holding grudges, and not speaking for years afterward.

Question of who the adults in the situation are.

Sometimes there is sagacity in moving on, whoever was at fault.

Thanks for the post.

P&AB.

Raven Wing
2.2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Enoch @2.2.1    2 weeks ago

Dear Brother Enoch,

I have learned over the years with my own children and Grandchildren, that the more adults interfere between young children's arguments the harder and longer it will take for those children to move on from their disputes.

Unless one or both of the children are in serious physical danger, they should be let to sort out their own disagreements. This is how the children will have to live their lives when they become adults themselves, when there not likely to be anyone to intercede for them.

Parents, especially, in competitive games seem to make bigger fusses than the children themselves. And many times this results in greatly embarrassing the child/children. Having attended many kids games myself over the years I have seen some parents that irrationally explode over situations that could, and should, be handled in a much more mature and sensible manner, so as not to emotionally scar their own child or any others.

I think it is best to give the children a chance to work out their issues first. They may be much better at it than their parents might think.

2.2.3  author  Enoch  replied to  Raven Wing @2.2.2    2 weeks ago

Agreed on each and every point.

You have child care down pat.

Good on you Sister Raven Wing.

Very good.

It Is ME
3  It Is ME    2 weeks ago

"How do you decide and know who is a good friend and who not?"

When I got to speak at my Kids weddings, and even at my Brothers weddings, I always told them that Friendship should come first in their marriage. If they go about their marriage like they are friends, their marriage will succeed beyond their expectations.  My wife and I have dealt with our marriage like that for 40 decades.

I always tell them, If you have a friend that is still around, figure out what you and they did for each other to let them stick around for so many years.

Bet it really wasn't much.

Treat your marriage not as a bigger expectation from someone else, but treat it as nothing more than what you expected from that Friend that's still been around for decades.

One seems to be able to put up with more from a friend.

3.1  author  Enoch  replied to  It Is ME @3    2 weeks ago

Dear Friend Is It ME: You have the secret.

Your spouse is the best friend you have in this life.

Perfect way to put it.

Mrs. E. and I celebrate our 50th year of marriage next week.

We have many acquaintances in life.

Far fewer friends.

None closer that each of us to the other.

When things are good, they are better because we share and delight in them.

When times get grim, which is a part of life as well, we know we are never alone.

We have each other.

That is all we need.

We are most grateful for your contribution here.

P&AB.

It Is ME
3.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Enoch @3.1    2 weeks ago

Best thing in the world is to "Not Expect" from your spouse, but to be thankful they're still around because of YOU.

One honestly can't define what a Friend really is. They just ……. ARE ! You'll know it when you see it.

I thought 40 was a long time....but 50 …… OMG …… Means I'm still young. jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

3.1.2  author  Enoch  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.1    2 weeks ago

Dear Friend It Is ME: Please don't be upset with me.

It's site policy to card asking for picture ID proof of age from a youthful appearing person such as yourself to make sure you are old enough to enter this discussion.

Sorry, its the law.

Smiles.

E.

Raven Wing
3.1.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Enoch @3.1.2    2 weeks ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

3.1.4  author  Enoch  replied to  Raven Wing @3.1.3    2 weeks ago

Smiles.

E.

It Is ME
3.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Enoch @3.1.2    2 weeks ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Best EVER

3.1.6  author  Enoch  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.5    2 weeks ago

Dear Friend It Is ME: I know you are, but what am I?

Smiles.

It Is ME
3.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  Enoch @3.1.6    2 weeks ago

Young at heart..…. is great ! jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

3.1.8  author  Enoch  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.7    2 weeks ago

Grand, ain't it?

It Is ME
3.1.9  It Is ME  replied to  Enoch @3.1.8    2 weeks ago

For sure !

I do miss some of the old days though !

3.1.10  author  Enoch  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.9    2 weeks ago

That one brings back memories.

Do you have a link to "Time in a Bottle" by Jim Croce?

Another chronological Golden Oldie.

It Is ME
3.1.11  It Is ME  replied to  Enoch @3.1.10    2 weeks ago
Do you have a link to "Time in a Bottle" by Jim Croce?

Good Times, Good Times. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

3.1.12  author  Enoch  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.11    2 weeks ago

I recall one late spring afternoon in graduate.

We sat on the front porch sipping dry, smooth, buttery red oak barrel aged wine.

The closest I have seen anyone as mellow as were we since was when someone dumped unused bottles of Vicotin into our township reservoir.

In less than half an hour the carp were speaking like Cheech and Chong.

"Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end".

Enoch, Waxing Nostalgic.

It Is ME
3.1.13  It Is ME  replied to  Enoch @3.1.12    2 weeks ago
"Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end".

Personally, I wished they NEVER ended. jrSmiley_89_smiley_image.gif

"As we drained a few bottles, and the afternoon melted into evening and high night we played tapes of Croce, Blood Sweat and Tears, Kansas and Three Dog Night."

ONE …. doesn't seem to have been a number you worried about much. jrSmiley_24_smiley_image.gif

3.1.14  author  Enoch  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.13    one week ago

Dear Friend It Is ME: One wasn't the final limiting number of wine bottles in our misspent youth in the Sunflower State.

"En Vino Veritas".

"With wine, truth".

As I counseled our offspring: "Don't age. No money in it".

Cheers (Clinking Brandy Snifters).

Raven Wing
4  Raven Wing    2 weeks ago

Wonderful article Dear Brother Enoch. And so very true. I hope you don't mind, but, there are two Native American Proverbs that I think will fit with this article;

Just because a child is young in years does not mean that their thoughts hold no value.

nv-wa-do-hi-ya-dv (Peace)

5  author  Enoch    2 weeks ago

Dear Sister Raven Wing: Many thanks for sharing the great and enduring wisdom of the Native Americans.

The young, in their innocence and purity are open to truths which we elders are sometimes to corrupted to discern given our travails in life.

Truth is where we find it.

If only we are open to it, and its value for us.

P&AB.

Gratefully, Enoch.

6  Kavika     2 weeks ago

I'll relate a story that happened in the late 1980's.

My wife and I spent the weekend in Santa Catalina at a friends home there. They had two boys, Buckey and Braxton.

A bit of a background. The boys were very big for their age. Their father was 6'8'' and 300 plus pounds. Mom was 6'1'' and 180 or so...Both in very good physical shape so the kids took after their parents.

At the time Buckey was 3 years old and looked  like a 10 year old. We got up on a Sunday morning and my wife went into wake up Buckey and Braxton for breakfast.

Braxton was in the bathroom and Buckey was sitting on the edge of his bed with a very serious look on his face. Red called to me to come into the room and as soon as I saw Buckey I knew something was wrong....I asked him what was the problem. He was very embarrassed and looked at me and whispered, I wet the bed....I looked at him and said no problem Buckey, we'll just change the sheets and everything will be OK....He looked at me and said...''It's hard to be three''....I wanted to burst out laughing but bit my lip and Red had to look the other way since she was laughing. I looked at him and said...I know it hard to be three, I was three once so I know...With that he looked at me and bounded off the bed and said, let's eat, I'm hungry...

Remember he was constantly mistaken for a kid much much older...

Neither Red nor I have ever forgotten that moment. Wisdom from the mouths of children.

Today Buckey is 6'6'' around 250 or so and an executive in the international shipping industry...I remind him every so often about that conversation and he laugh's and says, ''well you were pretty cool for an old guy''....LMAO

6.1  author  Enoch  replied to  Kavika @6    2 weeks ago

Dear Brother Kavika: You were and remain pretty cool for sure and certain.

You knew just what to say, and you said it.

His wisdom beyond his years, his innocence and openness.

He needed to be reassured and understood.

You were there for him.

No one is ever taller than when they get down to the level of a young one who needs them.

Well done indeed.

This reminds me of when the late Jim Henson of Muppets fame had Kermit the Frog attend his funeral.

Kermit said, "It's not easy being green".

Henson replied, "It's not easy turning green either"!

P&AB.

Enoch (Going Green).

Raven Wing
6.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Enoch @6.1    2 weeks ago

Dear Brother Enoch, it is sometimes amazing just how simple the thinking of a young child can be, and yet, be so spot on.

I love working jigsaw puzzles, and had been working on one part for one several days, as I could not seem to find the right piece to fit in that particular spot. My 6 y/o Nephew was visiting us for a weekend, and he had been watching me work on the puzzle for a short while.

He suddenly pointed to the open spot in the puzzle and asked me why I did not put the puzzle piece that went there in the hole. When I told him that I had not found the one that fit there he looked at me askance, then picked up a puzzle piece and put it in the hole. "See?", he said, "It was laying right there. All you had to do was put it in the hole."

I was totally surprised that he had been able to find the piece that fit there after standing there for just a few minutes, when I had been looking for it for days. "How did you find it so fast?", I asked. "Well, all I did was look for a piece that would fit in that hole. All you had to do was look!", he replied with a bit of surprise.

It was true, I had been over-thinking much too much, and over-looking the obvious and concentrating on the colors, images on the puzzle pieces for matches. As I had a very "DOH!" moment, I had to laugh. Then he said "It's OK Auntie, things like that happen when you get old." Then HE laughed. So I told him to go watch HR Puff 'N Stuff.

(grin)

6.1.2  author  Enoch  replied to  Raven Wing @6.1.1    2 weeks ago

Dear Sister Raven Wing: Out of the mouths of babes, right?

His method and your observation remind me of an phrase from an Aggadah (Legend) from the Talmud (Scriptural Commentary).

Adults often over think.

Children are more direct.

They miss the subtle and complex.

The obvious is for us not to see.

P&AB.

Raven Wing
6.1.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Enoch @6.1.2    2 weeks ago

Dear Brother Enoch, "The nature of the sky is originally clear. By staring at it too long, it obscures".

Very very true. And much too often we forget.

6.1.4  author  Enoch  replied to  Raven Wing @6.1.3    2 weeks ago

Dear Sister Raven Wing: The Wisdom, Ethics and Compassion of our traditions dovetales in so many ways.

Not a surprise really.

E.

Raven Wing
6.1.5  Raven Wing  replied to  Enoch @6.1.4    2 weeks ago
The Wisdom, Ethics and Compassion of our traditions dovetales in so many ways.

So very true. In those, our people are more one than many may believe.

Not a surprise really

Indeed not. And if people would but look more closely as to how people of the world are alike, than how they are different, they would then see the world as a child's eyes and heart.

6.1.6  author  Enoch  replied to  Raven Wing @6.1.5    2 weeks ago

Dear Sister Raven Wing: So true.

So very true.

This is the hope for the future.

Not what divides.

What unites, for the greater good.

6.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @6    2 weeks ago

It's great to wake up in the morning (it's 7:30 a.m. here now) and enjoy a great laugh out loud to start the day.  Thank you, Kavika.  By the way, it's ALMOST as hard to be 82.

6.2.1  author  Enoch  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2    2 weeks ago

Dear Brother Buzz: Getting there myself.

I hear you.

P&AB.

Raven Wing
6.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @6    2 weeks ago

I can indeed relate to that young boy. My young Son was a bed-wetter. I tried everything I could to help him deal with his problem, as he was really embarrassed by it, and felt ashamed.

I consulted with his Doctor and then a Therapist as to how I could help him. Whenever I tried to talk to him about it he would just feel so ashamed that he would end up simply crying. So I tried to think of a way that would solve the problem for him without having to talk to him about it.

I took the children to my Grandparents to visit over a weekend, and I worried about my Son wetting the bed and damaging the mattress, so I took along a plastic table cloth to put under the sheet. The next morning when I went to change the bedding, I noticed that the sheet was not wet. I was very surprised to see this. I wondered what the difference was between home and my Grandparents. I didn't want to approach my Son about it, but, I talked it over with my Grandmother.

She suggested that my Son could be afraid of the dark to go to the bathroom at night. She said that when my Grandfather lost his left eye to an accident, and had poor vision in the right eye, was afraid to get up in the dark at night, so she put a nightlight in the bathroom for him. This made sense, as many children are afraid of the dark, as was I.

When we were ready to leave for home my Grandmother gave me a small box and told me to open it when we got home, as it was for my Son. When we arrived home I opened the box quietly and it was a small deer nightlight. I took it and set it on the counter in the bathroom and then showed my Son, telling him that the little deer would help him see in the dark and protect him. The first night when I turned on the light and the bathroom lit up and he could see it from his room, he was so thrilled. He never wet the bed again after that.

Sometimes it is the little things that we as adults forget were our own fears when we were that age, and how we felt.

That little deer light went along with him when he left this world to shine the light the way as he moved on to the next steps of his own eternal journey.

6.3.1  Kavika   replied to  Raven Wing @6.3    2 weeks ago

Love it RW.

6.3.2  author  Enoch  replied to  Kavika @6.3.1    2 weeks ago

Me too.

Dismayed Patriot
7  Dismayed Patriot    2 weeks ago
What is it?

I believe friendship is an informal partnership often formed with those in our immediate vicinity that we end up seeing on a regular basis who we feel comfortable being ourselves around without pretense or expectation. Because of the shared experiences of a specific locale many tend to gravitate towards those they see frequently that they feel share or have expressed a similar outlook or view of the world as they are experiencing.

How do you decide and know who is a good friend and who not?

I believe that truly good friends require no maintenance and have few expectations. Accept them for who they are and a good friend will return the favor.

What do you look for in a friend?

Honesty, compassion, intellect, wit, humor, humility and experience.

What should you do to be a good friend?

Be honest, humble, compassionate, excited about learning new things and a willingness to try them.

Why is friendship important?

Humans were not meant to be solitary creatures, we are pack animals. The evolved facial expressions and emotions are proof of that. Friends provide a pack with which humans can confide, learn from, lean on, support, embrace and generally make us feel less lonely in this journey we call life. Those without friends don't survive long or are turned into things we have a hard time recognizing as human. We all need human interaction to stay sane and function well, and a friend is the best medicine for what ails us.

I guess I should be careful not to point out how a friendship should never be based on any financial transaction for fear of being called a socialist...

8  author  Enoch    2 weeks ago

Dear Friend Dismayed Patriot: This is an exemplary and outstanding contribution.

It is specific, detailed, on-point and very wise indeed.

You may want to read the account Aristotle gave of the distinction (dichotomy) between a friend and an acquaintance.

You can find it in his Nicomachean Ethics and his Eudemian Ethics.

Its heavy reading.

If anyone can handle this, it is you.

Good show dear friend.

We are all most appreciative.

P&AB.

sandy-2021492
9  sandy-2021492    2 weeks ago

One of my college roommates posted a silly meme on Facebook about how one of us was arrested for being a bad influence, another for being a worse influence, and the third for following bad influences.  She said the meme confused which friend was the worse influence.  20-odd years after we all graduated, I know we'd all agree on exactly which one of us was the worst influence (it wasn't me).

But regardless of who actually led us into trouble, if we were in trouble, we were all in trouble, even if one of us (me) had been a perfect angel.  If one of us faced injustice, we all had her back.  And if one of us found success, we all rejoiced on her behalf.

Even today, decades, marriages, kids, moves, jobs, and illnesses later.  We try to all get together once or twice a year, and it's like we were together yesterday.  We still all know who will order what for dinner, who will probably get tipsy, who will show up late, who will show up really late, who will end up finally getting tired of discussing where to eat and just pick a place, already.  We know whose parents will make different plans for her any time they find out we have plans, and guilt trip her if she doesn't toe their line.  And since we know they play the guilt game, we don't, because that would make her more conflicted.

9.1  author  Enoch  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9    2 weeks ago

Dear Friend Sandy: Sustainability, mutuality of the following: open communication with or without speech, compassion, caring, support, trust, nurturing, putting the needs of others over yours, reliability are just some of the features of what makes a solld friendship.

Great post.

Great friends.

Great way to live life most fully, abundantly, humanely, and meaningfully.

Massive value in yoru post.

We can only be appreciative, learn and be inspired by it in our friendships.

Many thanks.

P&AB to you and yours.

sandy-2021492
9.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Enoch @9.1    2 weeks ago

Thank you, Enoch.  Happy anniversary to you and the missus.

9.1.2  author  Enoch  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9.1.1    2 weeks ago

Dear Friend Sandy: Many thanks.

Greetings will be conveyed to Mrs. E. tomorrow over breakfast.

She retirees for the night before me.

I follow the business proverb:

"Late to bed.

Early to rise.

Stay on budget.

And AMORTIZE".

Smiles.

10  Perrie Halpern R.A.    2 weeks ago

I have been very lucky to have a large group of childhood friends. Many I have known since I was 5. Most I met when I was 12. They are like family to me. And through the years, we have been there for each other in good times and in bad. Our children have grown up thinking of each other as family, too. It is amazing to see a second generation of friendship come from ours.

It's not that I haven't made new friends. I have and I enjoy them greatly. There was a great song that I learned when I was a Brownie:

Make new friends,

But keep the old.

One is silver,

And the other's gold

10.1  author  Enoch  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @10    2 weeks ago

Dear Friend Perrie: All friends count.

The older, deeper and closer the friendship, the more valuable the metal.

Multi generational friendships prove all are doing things right.

Apples don't fall far from trees.

There is a warm feeling one gets reading this.

So happy for and proud of all of you.

P&AB.

Raven Wing
10.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @10    2 weeks ago
There was a great song that I learned when I was a Brownie:

Make new friends,

But keep the old.

One is silver,

And the other's gold

HAH!! I remember that too! And the Brownie Smile song......."I have something in my pocket...." Oh my......now I really feel old..... jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

10.2.1  author  Enoch  replied to  Raven Wing @10.2    2 weeks ago

Dear Sister Raven Wing: From the age of three on I started learning the primary and subsidiary levels of core literature in original languages by mastering couplets of line quotations as songs.

Most of these words and songs have been around 6,000 or so years.

One about friends is:

"Henei mah tov, U' mah nayim.

Shevit achim gam yachad".

"Behold, how good and nice it is to sit together as brothers".

Don't feel so old.

Warm cyber hug of friendship (as family).

10.2.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Raven Wing @10.2    2 weeks ago

Well, it's nice that we can be old together, LOL!

10.2.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Enoch @10.2.1    2 weeks ago
"Behold, how good and nice it is to sit together as brothers".

Warm hugs back to you, Enoch!

10.2.4  author  Enoch  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @10.2.3    2 weeks ago

Dear Friend Perrie: Thanks

Likewise.

E.

Raven Wing
10.2.5  Raven Wing  replied to  Enoch @10.2.1    2 weeks ago
Warm cyber hug of friendship (as family).

Dear Brother Enoch, what a lovely verse. One that truly touches the heart. Thank you for sharing it.

And Cyber hugs to you as my Brother in Spirit and family as well.  (smile)

Raven Wing
10.2.6  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @10.2.2    2 weeks ago
Well, it's nice that we can be old together, LOL!

Not sure if the world is ready for that, but, we can sure have a blast! jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

pat wilson
11  pat wilson    2 weeks ago

At my advanced age I've had many different kinds of friendships. Some were temporary for various reasons and some have stood the test of time. I'm grateful for all of them.

PAB to you and your bride, Dear Enoch.

11.1  author  Enoch  replied to  pat wilson @11    2 weeks ago

Dear Friend Pat Wilson: We are inspired by your attitude of gratitude.

It is something from which we can all learn, and incorporate into our own lives.

As we do, our lives will be enhanced.

We are mightily indebted to you for this sterling contribution.

On behalf of Mrs. E. and myself, Thank you.

P&AB.

pat wilson
11.1.1  pat wilson  replied to  Enoch @11.1    2 weeks ago

Thank you for the inspirational words !!!

12  author  Enoch    2 weeks ago

Dear Friends Pat Wilson: Most welcome.

E.

luther28
13  luther28    2 weeks ago

A friends eye is a good mirror.

A mirror is something that shows us who we are.

14  author  Enoch    2 weeks ago

Dear Friend Luther: Great point.

A lot of who we are is who we become through interaction with others.

Read Martin Buber's "Ich und Du" (I and Thou) if possible in the original German. If not, use the Walter Kaufmann English translation. Far superior to the Ronald Gregor Smith one.

Also, read Ben Adam Veh Adam (Between Man and Man) if possible in the original Hebrew by Buber. If not, any English translation will do.

Franz Rosenzweig's Der Stern der Erlersung (The Star of Redemption) if possible in German. If not, any translation acceptable.

All deal with this key point.

I think you will find their accounts enlightening.

Most appreciative of this superlative contribution Luther.

You have your thumb on the pulse.

Good on you.